• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tools / Weapons You DESPISE

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Either the Cane of Byrna or the Dominion Rod. Both really have no place being in a video game with how utterly useless they are.

Eactly when did we not swing across gaps and flip switches with the Whip in SS? I'm not saying the Whip was a good item in SS -- it wasn't -- but you're accusing it of not doing things that it actually did, which is unfair criticism.

I can recall only two instances where this was required. Beyond that, it's not that big of a deal. We've had to do that by shooting switches with the Bow before, and much more often than we did with the Whip. Again, unfair criticism.

JJ keep in mind this is PERSONAL. If it is fair or unfair is not to us to decide. These are personal opinions. If Spirit feels it that way who are we to tell her different?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I understand opinion. But when an opinion is based on something inaccurate, that's a completely different story.

Does it matter when something is based on accuracy or not? I might find the Spinner to be horrible because I run into walls for like, no explainable reason. I call it a bad item (to me). Why should I be interrogated for why and how I think and say things? This is a public thread based on the peoples' opinions, after all. Let me despise the Beetle as I like, when I like and I leave whatever you despise to you. :yes:

Oh, oh, oh. The Bombchu of Ocarina of Time was one item I just never understood at all. I mean, I don't necessarily DESPISE it, but it isn't something I frequently use. Or use at all, except where required. It's very useful for glitches but aside from that? I don't even know why it exists.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Does it matter when something is based on accuracy or not?

It most certainly does to me. It's not logical to criticize something for things that aren't true about it. It's perfectly fine to not like something just because you don't like it, but claiming false things about it is a different beast entirely. It's quite honestly unfair and a flawed way of thinking.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It most certainly does to me. It's not logical to criticize something for things that aren't true about it. It's perfectly fine to not like something just because you don't like it, but claiming false things about it is a different beast entirely. It's quite honestly unfair and a flawed way of thinking.

Again, Does it matter when something is based on accuracy or not? I might find the Spinner to be horrible because I run into walls for like, no explainable reason. I call it a bad item (to me). Why should I be interrogated for why and how I think and say things? This is a public thread based on the peoples' opinions, after all. Let me despise the Beetle as I like, when I like and I leave whatever you despise to you.

In other words, you should avoid questioning people. So what if it is illogical or not the smartest thing. So what if it doesn't fall in line with how you personally behave/think. Not everyone can formulate clear cut, sequential ideas. Whatever this is getting a bit off topic, I will leave with a closing note of just leave people to how they believe.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Again, Does it matter when something is based on accuracy or not? I might find the Spinner to be horrible because I run into walls for like, no explainable reason. I call it a bad item (to me). Why should I be interrogated for why and how I think and say things? This is a public thread based on the peoples' opinions, after all. Let me despise the Beetle as I like, when I like and I leave whatever you despise to you.

In other words, you should avoid questioning people. So what if it is illogical or not the smartest thing. So what if it doesn't fall in line with how you personally behave/think. Not everyone can formulate clear cut, sequential ideas. Whatever this is getting a bit off topic, I will leave with a closing note of just leave people to how they believe.

I have every right to question someone's logic. The forums are open to discussion and debate, and people seem to forget this way too often. I haven't insulted anyone with my posts. I should not be attacked for doing something completely rational.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
What you think is true might not be true for someone else. This topic is about what tool we dislike/despise and it differs for everybody.

I am not a fan of the Dominion Rod in TP. To me it wasn't really valuable. only for a sidequest to fullfill besides the temple

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I didn't question Spirit's dislike for the Whip. I can completely understand that, as it wasn't a very good item. I questioned some of her reasons, because she did very well claim false things about it.

Still JJ it is her own opinion and her reasons are her own. She should not give us a complete detailed answer why she dislikes the whip.

I hate the whip in SS
It has the appearance of a useful item but it really isn't. In other Zelda games we could have just swung on a rope to close a gap or flipped a switch or completed a puzzle to flip a switch but no, SS forces us to use the whip for levers that are just out of reach so that we HAVE to use it, and in some cases use it multiple times to twist a switch which was also bloody annoying. .

Oh what in god's name is going on here.

Read my post. I didn't say we didn't swing on the whip. I said in previous Zeldas we could have swung on ropes, my point there was that we were forced to use the whip to swing to cover gaps.. You're arguing the very point i was making JJ. i just thought it was implied with what i said so went on to talk about the switches.

My point with the whole swinging thing was that we were forced to equip the whip, swing at the hook or whatever to cover the gap we needed to cross, whereas in games without the ship like WW for example we could just autojump the ledge grab a rope and swing without having to stop, equip, cast the whip and then swing. Read my original post, read this one, and when i have something negative to say about SS don't call me out. The SB is seemingly for debates which is why i've given that place up.. i just want to post my opinions here not enter impossible unending discussions based on mis-read information. My siggy doesn't just look pretty, take your eyes from Juri and read the words, now let me have the solace to have them.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Oh what in god's name is going on here.

Read my post. I didn't say we didn't swing on the whip. I said in previous Zelda's we could have swung on ropes, my point there was that we were forced to use the whip to swing to cover gaps.. You're arguing the very point i was making JJ. i just thought it was implied with what i said so went on to talk about the switches.

My point with the whole swinging thing was that we were forced to equip the whip, swing at the hook or whatever to cover the gap we needed to cross, whereas in games without the ship like WW for example we could just autojump the ledge grab a rope and swing without having to stop, equip, cast the whip and then swing. Read my original post, read this one, and when i have something negative to say about SS don't call me out. The SB is seemingly for debates which is why i've given that place up.. i just want to post my opinions here not enter impossible unending discussions based on mis-read information. My siggy doesn't just look pretty, take your eyes from Juri and read the words, now let me have the solace to have them.

You really seem to misunderstand what I do when I "call people out". I'm not attacking you or your thoughts in any way. I'm trying to get a grasp as to why you think these things.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Hover boots from OoT, they looked cool but they coudnt be worn on a regular basis because of there slippery tendencys, for the most part they had no real use in the game, and only let you walk a few feet, i always hoped they could be used more and to a greater extent.

Skunk

Floof
I agree with the Hover Boots from OoT. It would've been nice to see more usage of them, and it would have been nice for them to, oh I don't know, make a mini dungeon about them. That could have been an interesting addition. Maybe the Wind Temple utilized them more, but it was cut, so we'll never know.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
*Comes back to topic after a long day of fishing and making chimichangas to find it has reached two pages and people are fighting!*

Simmer down - this topic was made with "subjective opinion" in mind. Your favorite item in the game series might be one other people hate for whatever reason. This is a gripe-page for people to discuss what they dislike and would rather not see in future Zelda titles, but it's all just opinion and should be stated and treated as such.

To respond to a few things said here: Yes, having an alchemy-buddy by my side makes dungeon-crawling more enjoyable. I can imagine Link and Al discussing a mutual love of cats.

The ball and chain - it's a bit cumbersome, but I enjoy it for the personal reason of my love of smashing things. I can run around the Snowpeak Mansion mentally screaming "DIE, CHAIR, DIE! BWAAHAHAHAHAA!" And those Chilfos! A Helm-Splitter is more artful, but I loves me some random giant steel ball destruction.

I totally agree on the slingshot. -_- . I mean, it's cute at first, but it just doesn't have much of a purpose after obtaining the superior long-range weaponry. It had more of a use in Skyward Sword just because it takes a while in that game to get the Clawshots and the Bow.

Still, that Spinner is the only weapon/tool in a Zelda game that I've encountered so far that I actually, truly do not enjoy - or where the annoying outweighs what little enjoyment I get from using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom