• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So is Skyloft Just One Island? And Some Plot Holes

To be honest, Skyloft doesn't seem that big a place, a town of about 30, a graveyard for 9 and just 1 boarding school. So does this mean everyone, with obvious exceptions being Beedle, Pumm and Kina, come from here? Just these people?
This also got me thinking about something Levias says about Link's parents. Namely, where exactly are they? Is there another island we don't see in the game where more people live or where Link and Zelda grew up together? Is this really the only place in the sky where our humans come from, if so, are they all related in some way and where do they even get their food? Where does the waste go when Link uses the toilet? What happens when more than 9 people die, are their bodies dumped over the edge? Do they use the smaller islands for burials?
Now I'm sure you're all going to give me the same answer I got when I pointed out how 1 mask in Majora's Mask was overall useless. IT'S A VIDEOGAME. Either there wasn't enough data for it or it isn't that important to the game's actual plot. The point is to have fun going through your adventure in a cool fantasy world. And I must agree with you, yes, because of the overall plot, minor things like these aren't important.

However, I am looking at through the perspective of someone IN that world, not to mention my own unfortunate ability to over analyze some things, so I just can't help but talk about this through a character in the story's perspective.

These aren't plot holes..... not in the slightest. The majority of these can be solved with logical assumptions.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Since when does Zelda make sense? Look, there aren't any existing plot holes in Skyward Sword that aren't just as existent in other Zelda games. If you want to find yourself a video game series that elaborates on almost every detail of the story, then look away from Zelda. Filling in these holes is at rock-bottom on Nintendo's list of priorities, since Zelda games are best enjoyed when the player ignores the glaring contradictions in the timeline and unanswered questions about Link.

Now being a character in Skyward Sword would probably mean one of two things: they know things that the player doesn't, or they know just as much as or less as the player does. The latter would be an example of dramatic irony in the plotline of the game, but I'm thinking it leans more toward the former. Since Skyloft and Link's backstory are really minor when compared to Link's ultimate quest to conquer Demise in SS, Nintendo doesn't really care enough to fill the player in. After all, this isn't Nintendo's strong suit. But I'm assuming that at least one character knows something about Skyloft or Link that the player doesn't - it's only natural.

So I'm sure that characters in Skyloft think that everything fits into place. We, as players, only visit Skyloft during a small window of time. I'm sure that there are events occurring in the past that would tell answer all of our questions if we had stuck around before the beginning of the game.

MW7

Those Skyloftians must eat a ton of pumpkin since that's seems to be their only crop. They probably eat bugs too since they put them in potions anyway. I guess they probably are all related too.

It is kind of weird that Link is consistently portrayed as an orphan in every game considering that in the real world less than than 2% of people are orphans. I guess it's because doing this emphasizes his humble beginnings at the start of every game. It's extremely common in fiction too. You'd think though that you'd get to meet his parents at least once in a game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
To be honest, Skyloft doesn't seem that big a place, a town of about 30, a graveyard for 9 and just 1 boarding school. So does this mean everyone, with obvious exceptions being Beedle, Pumm and Kina, come from here? Just these people?
This also got me thinking about something Levias says about Link's parents. Namely, where exactly are they? Is there another island we don't see in the game where more people live or where Link and Zelda grew up together? Is this really the only place in the sky where our humans come from, if so, are they all related in some way and where do they even get their food? Where does the waste go when Link uses the toilet? What happens when more than 9 people die, are their bodies dumped over the edge? Do they use the smaller islands for burials?
Now I'm sure you're all going to give me the same answer I got when I pointed out how 1 mask in Majora's Mask was overall useless. IT'S A VIDEOGAME. Either there wasn't enough data for it or it isn't that important to the game's actual plot. The point is to have fun going through your adventure in a cool fantasy world. And I must agree with you, yes, because of the overall plot, minor things like these aren't important.
1) I'm guessing everyone we've seen except for the obvious exceptions do come from Skyloft; of course we might not have seen every human alive so maybe there are many others living about in islands never before traversed (or were, just not by Link and the other Hylians of Skyloft).
2) I'm pretty sure Link's parents are dead. Or, it could just be through some crazy impossibility that Link is really Gaepora's son. However, as I said, that is basically impossible and/or would lead to a weird relationship, but cool one in my opinion. Still standing on the stone that is LInk's parents being dead.
3) I do think there are many more islands that we haven't seen, however we don't know that because of how Nintendo decided to design the Sky in this game.
4) Probably not, but even if it is, I doubt they're ALL related to each other. The food likely comes from the pumpkin patch, lol.
5) I dunno, maybe some intricate sewer system?
6) I'm guessing the bodies are dumped over the edge if there's only room for 9 in the graveyard...
7) Probably not.

I wouldn't dare tell you "it's a video game". If people are going to praise a game for its plot, they better damn well be able to intelligently answer some questions about the PLOT THEY SO PRAISE.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
(sarcasm) Yes, Skyloft is only an island of very few people after 1000 years of being in the sky. Come on, there's only that many because of design purposes. If they made the land as huge as it really would have been and put in the amount of people there would really be, the disc wouldn't be able to fit it all. The Wii's memory would crash. It doesn't have to be directly logical. It's one of those things that doesn't matter.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[...]the disc wouldn't be able to fit it all. The Wii's memory would crash. [...]
And that's why we have dual layer and multiple discs. Sure, production costs would rise and it would be rather different for the series known as Zelda, but Skyward Sword is different enough to warrant multiple disc adventures in my opinion. Too few NPCs with little substance doesn't bode well and only makes fans rage with all of their unanswered questions.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
And that's why we have dual layer and multiple discs. Sure, production costs would rise and it would be rather different for the series known as Zelda, but Skyward Sword is different enough to warrant multiple disc adventures in my opinion. Too few NPCs with little substance doesn't bode well and only makes fans rage with all of their unanswered questions.

Ok, it would also be redundant and nearly impossible to navigate through.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Impossible, how so? We would have the Loftwing, sprinting, and other tools at our disposal. Skyloft could've been bigger, and I think we know that to be a definite fact even with the Wii's limitations. I know this, because amazing games like Resident Evil 4 existed on the GameCube. The Wii I'd like to say is about 2x better than the GC in everything including disc capacity, so bigger environments with a lot of content could've existed in Skyward Sword.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Impossible, how so? We would have the Loftwing, sprinting, and other tools at our disposal. Skyloft could've been bigger, and I think we know that to be a definite fact even with the Wii's limitations. I know this, because amazing games like Resident Evil 4 existed on the GameCube. The Wii I'd like to say is about 2x better than the GC in everything including disc capacity, so bigger environments with a lot of content could've existed in Skyward Sword.

I'm talking about Skyloft itself. A hub area doesn't need to be that giant. All it needed was a few houses and the Bazaar. Having it as large as it really would have been would create empty space like it was nobody's business.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't think so, if it were as large as it really would've been, that would be ample room to accomodate more people, as would've existed at that time. If the story of Hylia doing what she did with the evil tribe of the surface has become a legend, then Skyloft must've been around for generations at the least. More people than just some odd 30 would have to have existed, with enough backstory as a supplement.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I don't think so, if it were as large as it really would've been, that would be ample room to accomodate more people, as would've existed at that time. If the story of Hylia doing what she did with the evil tribe of the surface has become a legend, then Skyloft must've been around for generations at the least. More people than just some odd 30 would have to have existed, with enough backstory as a supplement.

You do realize how big it would be, right? It'd be pretty stinking large for a simple hub area. It was already a decent size as it was. With as big as it really would be and with how crowded it would be, it'd be way too much of a hassle. I'm pretty sure that's why Nintendo made it the size it was.

Skyloft's population doesn't bother me consider that Windfall Island and Outset Island from Wind Waker have very small population. I rather have few characters that actually have personality than a bunch of NPCs that are waste of space and you can't even talk to. Anyway, I assume that Skyloft has a much bigger population than the game suggested.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I figure about 25-30 years ago alot of people fell off all at once thus the decision to make a knight academy was started by Gaepora. it took a few years to train the rescue knights and as few as they are they couldn't save everyone. That is why there are so few people on skyloft. it's just a thought.

that or other chunks of rock split off and formed different islands a long distance off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom