• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ask Me Anything About the Skyward Sword Demo

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
What is your favorite feature being implemented into Skyward Sword?

EDIT: also, I'd like to know who the item thing works. If you already have an item equipped, when you're done actually using it again, do you have to go back to that item menu to get it back again, even though its already pretty much equipped?

What is your favorite feature being implemented into Skyward Sword?

Motion controls. I never want to play a 3D console Zelda without them ever again. They're THAT good, and are exactly what you'd want a Zelda game to be like.

EDIT: also, I'd like to know who the item thing works. If you already have an item equipped, when you're done actually using it again, do you have to go back to that item menu to get it back again, even though its already pretty much equipped?

You HOLD the B button to open the item wheel, then drag the cursor to the item you want to select and release to equip it. This will usually automatically bring out the item, which you then use with whatever controls are unique to that item. Pressing B while the item is out will cancel it, which takes a bit of getting used to if you've played Twilight Princess on Wii.

If you've put away your item (to use your sword for example), but it's still "equipped" to the B button, just TAP the B button to bring out the item again. HOLDING the button, even while there's an item equipped, will bring up the inventory wheel again. Again, takes a bit of getting used to if you've played Twilight Princess on Wii, but otherwise the game's pretty good at distinguishing between tapping and holding.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Do you remember how in older 3D Zeldas, there were sword combos? For example, in The Wind Waker, by slashing with the control stick pushed forward against an enemy, Link would do two thrusts, a jumping up-slash, and then a Spin Attack to finish off the combo. Can you still do this in Skyward Sword? :3 (If you use the same move over and over, I mean.)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Do you remember how in older 3D Zeldas, there were sword combos? For example, in The Wind Waker, by slashing with the control stick pushed forward against an enemy, Link would do two thrusts, a jumping up-slash, and then a Spin Attack to finish off the combo. Can you still do this in Skyward Sword? :3 (If you use the same move over and over, I mean.)

Part of the Wii Motion Plus is getting rid of that. How hard we swing determines how much damage is done.

As far as I'm aware there are no sword combos. Link swings exactly how you swing. (And how hard you swing actually doesn't appear to make a lick of difference; you just need to make sure you swing clearly so the remote will register it.)

There are some special abilities triggered by shaking the remote in certain contexts, like the Finishing Blow and the Spin Attack (shake both remote and nunchuk), but that's it.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Many people have been raging (or just saying) that the Stamina Meter is a hinderance to the game.

Based on your impressions of playing the game, what do you think about the Stamina Meter, Lex? Is it good, or bad?
In my opinion, I think it's good. It can make some really clever puzzles.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
As far as I'm aware there are no sword combos. Link swings exactly how you swing. (And how hard you swing actually doesn't appear to make a lick of difference; you just need to make sure you swing clearly so the remote will register it.)

There are some special abilities triggered by shaking the remote in certain contexts, like the Finishing Blow and the Spin Attack (shake both remote and nunchuk), but that's it.

There should be at least a minor difference with how hard we swing. That's how it worked in RS2, so I don't see why it wouldn't be in SS.

Garo

Boy Wonder
There should be at least a minor difference with how hard we swing. That's how it worked in RS2, so I don't see why it wouldn't be in SS.

I hope that's not the case. I don't want to put a lot of force into controlling a game... swift, fluid, simple motions should be preferred to HULK SMASH SLAM motions.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I hope that's not the case. I don't want to put a lot of force into controlling a game... swift, fluid, simple motions should be preferred to HULK SMASH SLAM motions.

Performing the latter would lead to inaccuracy in motion detection.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

The thing is, in RS2, you don't have to swing with all of your might. There are two swings: light and heavy. They're may be a medium, which is what I'm calling heavy, but I'm not sure, and I don't think there is. Anyway, you don't have to swing your arm off to get in a powerful strike. The swing just has to be wider and with a little force.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
When you completely drain the stamina meter, can you still swing your sword or use items? Or does Link just limp around in that helpless state until he gets some stamina back?

Many people have been raging (or just saying) that the Stamina Meter is a hinderance to the game.

Based on your impressions of playing the game, what do you think about the Stamina Meter, Lex? Is it good, or bad?
In my opinion, I think it's good. It can make some really clever puzzles.

Covered it here: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showt...ard-Sword-Demo&p=293115&viewfull=1#post293115

I'll repost anyway:

As for the stamina meter: I think it's probably the biggest piece of winsauce that typical "hardcore" adventure games could possibly have given the series. I'm suspecting some complex climbing sections, since the stamina runs down while you're moving up vines, as well as a lot of suspenseful moments involving the dashing mechanics, particularly in the
Siren World sections where you have to keep away from the realm's guardians.
I also love how the "cheap" moves like the Spin Attack also drain the meter - I think a lot of people overlook this in the Jimmy Fallon show footage. Had he not killed the Stalfos with that last Spin Attack, he would have been a sitting duck since his meter had just fully run out.

It didn't really bother me during the block puzzle, though. It starts refilling as soon as you let go of the block, so more than likely by the time you move around it to push it from another side it'll be mostly full again anyway. So don't worry. That said, they HAVE to have added the feature to block-pushing for SOME reason; we just haven't figured it out yet.

EternalNocturne said:
When you completely drain the stamina meter, can you still swing your sword or use items? Or does Link just limp around in that helpless state until he gets some stamina back?

Link stays in "tired-out" mode until the stamina meter completely refills. He can't use items, block, or swing his sword, and can only move at an extremely sluggish pace. This is to prevent you from spamming moves like the Spin Attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom