• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask: Link's Friend

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it was Saria, think about it. Why would Link go to the Lost Woods to look for Navi, if I were him I would go check the great deku tree. Plus, in order to GET to Saria you have to make it through the lost woods, because she hangs out in the sacred forest meadow. It is very possible that Link took a wrong turn and ended up in termina. Why wouldn't it? Saria makes much more sense to me because of the reasons stated above. :fairy:

For those who say Navi because of the manga and because Nintendo says that it is :fairy: official :fairy: I find it smarter to not trust nintendo. Not trusting nintendo has saved me from a lot of crying. :)

What? Trusting Nintendo is what keeps us on track. If you go against what they say, you'll never understand what they're getting at with huge connections. Not that this will be one, but...wow. Anyway, the Lost Woods would be a pretty good place to look, as it's around the Kokiri Forest. I mean, come on. And he got into Termina due to the Skull Kid, not by accident. Your logic is totally impared there.

It being Saria could be possible.But if Link never had to awaken the Sages and he didn't need the Fairy Ocarina, why would Saria go to the Forest Temple to teach him a song Link didn't need? And since Link grew up in the lost woods/Kokiri area wouldn't he know his way around the forest?

Saria wasn't necessarily at the forest temple to teach link the song. remember, it was her place, a place to calm down. also, the first time link went to the temple, he had to find his way. remember, Kaepora Gaebora advised link to follow the sound of the music.

my theory: link is supposed to be a hero. perhaps termina didn't have a hero, and when the four giants became imprisoned, they called for a hero, and the closest one was in the next 'dimension'. the lost woods' paths can be changed. perhaps link was looking for saria, and the giants call altered the woods leading link right into the portal.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
It's not Saria! Saria is a sage! And anyways, what reason would Saria have in the Eastern Forest? I think it's Navi, Link has a reason to look for her. And in the beginning it said it was a "Personal journey." Which means not Kokiri related.

What kind of argument is that? Saria is a Sage in the future, even in the game itself Saria is at her usual spot in the past. And for what reason is link searching for navi? If u know tell me, because i dont know the reason. I don't think Saria is "just a kokiri" for Link. Everything kokiri related is not personal for link? You have a strange sense of logic.

Besides from the whole manga "canon" thing. I think it would be very logical that Saria could be that "Friend" stated at the beginning of MM.
Facts:
1. Saria is a friend of Link
2. Saria's spot is in lost woods, so why would Link search navi specificly in the lost woods?
3. Without a fairy you get lost in the lost woods (actually stated in the game) and MM starts.

P

PikaRin

Majora's Mask Link's Friend.

This is really been making me think lately. Most commonly it's believed to be Saria or Navi, But Saria is a sage and had ascended, while Navi on the other had would have had to return to the Deku Tree Sprout since Link was a Hylian and could not have a fairy. I looked at everyone else Link had meet and he knew where all of them where and they wouldn't have been in the Forrest.

I have a theory that Link's friend was the Skull Kid, it's a good explanation why he was in the lost woods because anyone else but the Kokiri would be lost. Now from what we know Skull Kid was never beloved or invaluable, but there is a gap between the games and before OOT, in witch they could have meet. We know Skull Kid admired Link for knowing Saria's Song, and In Majora's Mask remembered him.

What do you think? Is there some fact I missed, or do you have another idea of who his friend could be?

This is really been making me think lately. Most commonly it's believed to be Saria or Navi, But Saria is a sage and had ascended, while Navi on the other had would have had to return to the Deku Tree Sprout since Link was a Hylian and could not have a fairy. I looked at everyone else Link had meet and he knew where all of them where and they wouldn't have been in the Forrest.

I have a theory that Link's friend was the Skull Kid, it's a good explanation why he was in the lost woods because anyone else but the Kokiri would be lost. Now from what we know Skull Kid was never beloved or invaluable, but there is a gap between the games and before OOT, in witch they could have meet. We know Skull Kid admired Link for knowing Saria's Song, and In Majora's Mask remembered him.

What do you think? Is there some fact I missed, or do you have another idea of who his friend could be?

MM takes place on the child timeline. On this timeline Saria was never awaken as a sage. There also was no deku tree sprout until about 6-7 years after MM if the DekuTree was killed on this timeline at all

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It's Navi. The text states that his friend parted ways with him after his adventure. Navi parted ways with him at the end of Ocarina of Time. Plus, a fairy noise was made after all the text was done as a sentimental kind of thing. It's obviously Navi.

Last edited:
i agree that is navi its one of the only few friends link really had in ocarina of time. We will never know of link found his friend or not and its been heavily thought by people so i do think its navi

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Isn't this also where the theory that he got lost in the Lost Woods (unconfirmed if he was in them) while searching for Navi and turned into a Stalfos comes from? And then he's the Hero's Shade? I think it is. (Which, by the way, isn't a possible explanation, but that's not what this is about.)

Last edited:

Fierce

Deity Link
Something to think about that may back the Saria theory.

Do the sages transcend in every universe? I.E. Adult and Kid Timeline. You know... like how Link Zelda and Ganon have the Triforce parts in the kid Timeline (TP) when the events only happened in the Adult timeline?

If Saria did in fact transcend, it would make sense as to why Link would be seeking her out.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Something to think about that may back the Saria theory.

Do the sages transcend in every universe? I.E. Adult and Kid Timeline. You know... like how Link Zelda and Ganon have the Triforce parts in the kid Timeline (TP) when the events only happened in the Adult timeline?

If Saria did in fact transcend, it would make sense as to why Link would be seeking her out.

But did Saria leave him after his journey? No.

What kind of argument is that? Saria is a Sage in the future, even in the game itself Saria is at her usual spot in the past. And for what reason is link searching for navi? If u know tell me, because i dont know the reason. I don't think Saria is "just a kokiri" for Link. Everything kokiri related is not personal for link? You have a strange sense of logic.

Besides from the whole manga "canon" thing. I think it would be very logical that Saria could be that "Friend" stated at the beginning of MM.
Facts:
1. Saria is a friend of Link
2. Saria's spot is in lost woods, so why would Link search navi specificly in the lost woods?
3. Without a fairy you get lost in the lost woods (actually stated in the game) and MM starts.

Actually, it's not stated in the game that you get lost without a fairy. That's a horrible misconception by many fans.

pupairo12

Skyward Sword Anticipator
I'd like to interject here. :P First of all, for all of those people saying that Navi would simply return to the Great Deku Tree, we'd have to be assured of exactly when Link was sent back. Personally, I believe he was sent back to the point right before he took the master sword. Therefor, the Deku Tree would already be dead as Link would have the Kokiri Emerald. So, there would be no place for Navi to go.

Second, Link could simply play "Saria's Song" and ask where she is.

I agree with the popular belief here, It's Navi. What better place to look for a fairy than the Lost Woods? Next time you take a stroll through there, look at all of the flying balls of light. Those are fairies. As JuicieJ said, the fairy sound at the end of the prologue was for sentimental value.

i think its navi.... it just seems more likly the saria..... the only reason i can think of that link wouldnt be looking for her is the fact that shes seriously the most anoying charter in any zelda game

Fierce

Deity Link
- And even though Nintendo made the Manga official... I really don't consider any of it canon, no offense.

It makes sense that it's Navi either way. The game is pretty focused on fairy's and their companionship. The special bond between the Skull Kid and Tatl and Tael reflects the friendship between Link and Navi... I remember as a child, I was really pissed when I saw Navi fly away. It surprised me. I actually felt like Link would have been sad to see her go. Naturally he would seek her out, right?

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Gonna put my two cents in again.

Let's look at some reasons, that to me, make it so that it's gotta be Navi and not Saria.

1. Right after the MM intro when it says "in search of a lost friend" (or something along the lines of that) it plays a fairy noise.

2. Navi leaves Link immediately after OoT, and Link heads to the castle courtyard to warn Zelda with the Triforce of Courage in hand. This would mean that this time would have to be atleast after Link receives the Kokiri Emerald to fill Zelda's prophacey (slaughtered that spelling I know it xD) meaning the Great Deku tree is dead, so why would Navi head back to her old dead friend? The only other place she would likely be is in the Lost Woods, (fairies aren't found outside the forest, atleast not the ones like Navi, so non-healing fairies).

3. The Forest Meadow is Saria's hang out spot. So if she's not in the village she's there right? Heck she went there so often that a town member tells you that she's in the usual spot, so why would Link get lost? And Saria doesn't enter the Forest Temple until Ganondorf comes to power and she hears a voice crying from inside. Makes it very unlikely Saria would be lost, or missing in general.

Have a few more things, but I think this just about covers the gist of it. Again just my two cents.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
Link should know where saria is. He didn't need Navi or me to find the forest temple. ( check my name ) I always thought it to be Navi. Sence -spoiler- she leaves you at the end of OoT, it's generally assumed it's Navi. I personally believe that it is Navi or maybe a different friend that he met in-between OoT and MM. WHAT A TWIST!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom