• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Are You Feeling About the Mario Movie?

I’m not a fan of it being an isekai, but apart from that it looks alright.

What are you talking about? Mario has always been an Italian plumber, meaning he has always been from Earth. But the Mushroom Kingdom clearly isn't on Earth, meaning the Mario Bros. franchise was always an isekai.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
What are you talking about? Mario has always been an Italian plumber, meaning he has always been from Earth. But the Mushroom Kingdom clearly isn't on Earth, meaning the Mario Bros. franchise was always an isekai.
Please point to me on a map where on earth there’s an island of friendly Dinosaurs.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Ignoring this logic, hasn't Mario's story been an isekai anyway? Like, he was a normie plumber before being taken to the mushroom kingdom.
"It's the Mario Brothers and plumbing's their game, found the secret warp zone while working on the drain."
(Unless yoshis island offically retconned that, which even if it did, it still happened and could have been means for inspiration)

I'm living in an isekai plot myself because I still live in a universe where Mario was an isekai, but I'm surrounded by people who are insisting otherwise. I missed a good chunk of Mario games when they transitioned into the modern era and with that I guess was the retcon that he always lived in the Mushroom Kingdom, but I'm still 99% sure the original arcade game was simply Mario being a plumber in the real world. And he somehow entered a pipe that led him to the Mushroom Kingdom is what I believe was the explanation for the sudden setting shift to Super Mario Bros?

Either way, there's a pipe in the trailer when Mario is introduced and it looks like he fell from there so if this is a soft reboot of the transition between Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros, I'm all for that.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
hey it just hit me, doesn't bowser look like the way he did in smash 4?

Bowser-Mario-Bros.-movie.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The animation and character designs looked way better than I expected them to. That being said, Chris Pratt just seems to be playing Chris Pratt.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I'm living in an isekai plot myself because I still live in a universe where Mario was an isekai, but I'm surrounded by people who are insisting otherwise. I missed a good chunk of Mario games when they transitioned into the modern era and with that I guess was the retcon that he always lived in the Mushroom Kingdom, but I'm still 99% sure the original arcade game was simply Mario being a plumber in the real world. And he somehow entered a pipe that led him to the Mushroom Kingdom is what I believe was the explanation for the sudden setting shift to Super Mario Bros?
Retcon or not, Yoshi’s Island clearly makes Mario not an isekai. Even if this is taking more inspiration from the original arcade story, my point is that they didnt have to do that. Yeah Mario used to be an Isekai character in the past, but that hasn’t been the canon backstory for nearly 30 years.

There’s plenty of justification for this movie to not have that plot structure, and I would’ve rather it not because I think its overdone.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm not amazed by the animation. It looks like any other animated movie nowadays. And I think that's one reason I've watched less and less animated movies over the years. Older ones had more charm with their animation to me. But now everything is just 3d, bold colors, and a kinda uncanny look to me.

What did you hope it'd look like? 2D? Drab colors?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
What did you hope it'd look like? 2D? Drab colors?

I didn't hope it would look like anything because I already knew it was going to be bad. But yes, I do like 2d animated movies better. They tend to have more charm to their style of animation, and not all look the same.

And even sticking with 3d animation they could have went with more of an Odyssey style and it would have been a lot better than what they did go with.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
there are good examples of 3D animation like arcane and love death & robots that keep exploring the medium and pushing the boundaries of what's possible

illumination does the exact opposite, but they're good at that

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Mario seems a bit off and his voice too. But I guess we'll get used to it. On the otherhand, Bowser's voice was just as I imagined *chef's kiss*. I appreciate they changed Toad's voice cuz the original voice would've been annoying as ****.

I'm not exactly squealing with excitement neither am I disappointed. I guess I'll just go to the movie.......if it even releases here. ._.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I didn't hope it would look like anything because I already knew it was going to be bad. But yes, I do like 2d animated movies better. They tend to have more charm to their style of animation, and not all look the same.

And even sticking with 3d animation they could have went with more of an Odyssey style and it would have been a lot better than what they did go with.

I love 2D animation a lot too, usually more than 3D. But honestly I think the animation they chose fit with the whole mario theme really well. Many recent mario games have had a 3D model for years now. Odyssey, Galaxy, 3D World, etc. So when I heard about the movie I just assumed it was 3D. (plus then I heard about the animation studio). There've been 2D adaptations in the past, and I can wholeheartedly say I love the movie's artstyle way more than those. 3D has a beauty of its own too. I personally prefer 2D (which is why I have a particular soft spot for older disney movies), but yeah this movie works really well as a 3D animated film.

And yeah I can see that usually 2D animation movie can let their animators show more uniqueness and a more distinct style than 3D can, but I do think the texture details and the vibrant world design makes up for it. Plus I just really like how they designed bowser. And Illumination really outdid themselves this time. I think this'll be one of their best looking movies yet.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective though :)

Retcon or not, Yoshi’s Island clearly makes Mario not an isekai. Even if this is taking more inspiration from the original arcade story, my point is that they didnt have to do that. Yeah Mario used to be an Isekai character in the past, but that hasn’t been the canon backstory for nearly 30 years.

There’s plenty of justification for this movie to not have that plot structure, and I would’ve rather it not because I think its overdone.
I just assumed they were sent to Earth early in their lives, and either forgot about the Mushroom Kingdom, or they wrote it off as a dream anytime they remember it.

The reason for that is we've seen them as babies and toddlers (Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time; don't care if they are called babies still, as they are clearly toddlers), but never any older than that, until they are fully grown adults. And with how often time travel is present in the franchise, you'd think they would show them as teenagers or something, unless they weren't in the Mushroom Kingdom at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom