• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Are You Feeling About the Mario Movie?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I just assumed they were sent to Earth early in their lives, and either forgot about the Mushroom Kingdom, or they wrote it off as a dream anytime they remember it.

The reason for that is we've seen them as babies and toddlers (Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time; don't care if they are called babies still, as they are clearly toddlers), but never any older than that, until they are fully grown adults. And with how often time travel is present in the franchise, you'd think they would show them as teenagers or something, unless they weren't in the Mushroom Kingdom at the time.
So you think that they were old enough to walk and speak basic sentences, yet they couldn’t remember a single thing about the mushroom kingdom when they grew up? Thats a stretch.

So you think that they were old enough to walk and speak basic sentences, yet they couldn’t remember a single thing about the mushroom kingdom when they grew up? Thats a stretch.
Most kids can do that by 3, yet most adults remember nothing from 3 and younger. So yes I think that, because that is how reality works.

EDIT: 2.5 years is on average the earliest memory, according to a more recent study. Still, my point stands.

Study in question.

Last edited:

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Most kids can do that by 3, yet most adults remember nothing from 3 and younger. So yes I think that, because that is how reality works.

That’s objectively not how reality works. Beyond that, I’m pretty sure that having a massive adventure at the age of 3 would cause them to remember their time.

Even beyond that, how would they move to the real world? Did their parents take them back? You’re telling me from the age of 3 to presumably when they left home that their parents didn’t mention the place that they used to live once? Does that mean that theres a readily available method of travel between the two places? Or were they isekai’d into the real world too?

You’re jumping through so many hoops just to prove a point that already doesn’t make sense.

That’s objectively not how reality works. Beyond that, I’m pretty sure that having a massive adventure at the age of 3 would cause them to remember their time.

Even beyond that, how would they move to the real world? Did their parents take them back? You’re telling me from the age of 3 to presumably when they left home that their parents didn’t mention the place that they used to live once? Does that mean that theres a readily available method of travel between the two places? Or were they isekai’d into the real world too?

You’re jumping through so many hoops just to prove a point that already doesn’t make sense.
That study is new, as in last year new. Before it was made, science said it was 4 and younger, and as pointed out in the study I put in my edit, the study doesn't apply to everyone, as it literally says everyone is different for this.

But also, toddler doesn't mean 3. It means 2 or 3, and most people only remember very little from 4 and younger, so it is incredibly easy to write it off as a dream.

But even still, you are jumping through a lot of hoops to disprove this.

1: They have never had parents. Even in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, they live without adult supervision on castle grounds, other than Toadsworth's supervision, and even that is a stretch.

2: Most Super Mario games call the levels, WORLD #-#. In other words, multiple worlds has been canon from the start.

3: You do know warp pipes that connect two different worlds has been in the franchise since Super Mario Bros. 1, right?

4: They are Italian plumbers. It is flat out impossible to be Italian unless you are from Earth.

EDIT: I'm going to stop arguing now. I recognized a sign that I'm getting too worked up, and don't want to behave badly here, since this community has been nothing but friendly to me, even when we have a disagreement. I apologize if I came off as rude on this post.

Last edited:

thePlinko

ZD Legend
That study is new, as in last year new. Before it was made, science said it was 4 and younger, and as pointed out in the study I put in my edit, the study doesn't apply to everyone, as it literally says everyone is different for this.

But also, toddler doesn't mean 3. It means 2 or 3, and most people only remember very little from 4 and younger, so it is incredibly easy to write it off as a dream.

But even still, you are jumping through a lot of hoops to disprove this.

1: They have never had parents. Even in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, they live without adult supervision on castle grounds, other than Toadsworth's supervision, and even that is a stretch.

2: Most Super Mario games call the levels, WORLD #-#. In other words, multiple worlds has been canon from the start.

3: You do know warp pipes that connect two different worlds has been in the franchise since Super Mario Bros. 1, right?

4: They are Italian plumbers. It is flat out impossible to be Italian unless you are from Earth.
1.my dude, literally every single yoshi’s island game proves you wrong

2. Yes, they’re called worlds, but they have always been accessible from one another, as clearly shown by the fact that in the original SMB every first level in each world after the first shows the castle that you just finished, so they’re more like different kingdoms or jurisdictions than anything else.

3.This mean’s literally nothing.

4. And it’s impossible to speak english unless you’re from earth too. Are the Toads from earth? How about peach? What about every single character that speaks English in the entire franchise?

But sure, let’s pretend that their italian heritage is the only factor here for some reason. You’re saying that they were born in the mushroom kingdom, isekai’d to earth, and were isskai’d back ~20 years later. If thats the case, then why do Mario and Luigi have Italian accents as babies in Partners in Time?

For every single one of your points you have either completely ignored blatent in-game evidence or are coming up with overcomplicated theories to explain something that have far easier explanations. That’s why you’re jumping through hoops. They’re Italian? The fictional Mushroom Kingdom has an italian styled culture. Boom, problem solved. I haven’t needed to jump through anything because everything that I have said is either directly supported by in game evidence or is the easiest explanation.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Alright it's been about a year since I sincerely cared about the latest in gaming news, and much longer since I've paid attention to the next big flick, but to my surprise I actually have an opinion on this.

The animation is "good" as in, Illumination is finally reaching into their deep cash reserves to pay their animators enough to put actual effort into the project. I just don't like the style. It feels a bit too "bouncy" I guess. I guess I should preface this by saying I have no intention of actually watching the movie when it comes out.

Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek turned out really good, or so I assume from the one line of dialogue. They probably could've used a better take for Jack Black's lines as Bowser, but the script is pretty bland (or maybe this just isn't a good advertisement) so I don't blame him if he couldn't sound just right. Overall, the whole thing feels a bit too dramatic for a Mario movie. Like, seriously, the OG Mario movie was about parallel dimensions and had strippers as extras, yet its trailer felt way more Mario-esque. I like the Penguin gag but it just doesn't land well. Mostly a music issue. And you know we're in for a rough time when the Penguin King's actor seems to be having the most fun with his role.

Now, as one of those guys who likes to pretend he knows better than professional filmmakers, I would like to mention that if I were directing this, I would've had Bowser burn the penguins alive and leave the architecture alone. I know that's very gruesome and conflicts with my prior criticism of the trailer being overdramatic, but at no point have I ever said that I'm not a hypocrite.

I did not want to live in a world with Mario wearing a polo shirt.

Overall, these character designs feel like an odd halfway point between "generic cartoon character" and "Mario", and while I could certainly sit through this style, again, I did not want to live in this world.

Assuming the Toad we saw in the trailer was the Toad, then Keegan-Michael Key did a great job. Chris Pratt kinda feels like he's in the same position as Black, with flatter writing that hinders his acting ability. From a few sentences, you could hear falters in his semi-Italian-ish accent. Maybe I really like "hams", but I still feel like maybe these lines could've been recorded under better circumstances.

I mentioned this somewhere else on the internet, but I don't like the way the Mushroom Kingdom is designed. How could anyone live here? How does this society function? Seriously, I hate this.

Not familiar with Charlie Day's work, but I am excited to hear him as Luigi.

And that's it. I mean, I guess I'm impressed, but I definitely preferred life before this got revealed.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I'm interested in seeing it. I am not the pickiest when it comes to movies that are geared towards children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom