• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Nintendo Switch Online

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Adding more salt to the wound, Nintendo has also significantly slowed down their additions of older games in comparison to when NSO was new by adding a few games a month when now it's every couple of months that 3 games are added but only one of them is actually worth playing most of the time.
What are you expecting them to release so often from the NES and SNES? The rights for most of the remaining beloved games from the systems are tied up at other companies. Companies aren't going to give away their big IPs for cheap. And gaining the rights can take a very long time even when they are able to. There is a lot to dunk on Nintendo for, this is not one of them.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
What are you expecting them to release so often from the NES and SNES? The rights for most of the remaining beloved games from the systems are tied up at other companies. Companies aren't going to give away their big IPs for cheap. And gaining the rights can take a very long time even when they are able to. There is a lot to dunk on Nintendo for, this is not one of them.

Can't imagine they're too tied up. They were able to secure the rights for a whole bunch more games for the Wii and Wii U's virtual consoles, but now they want to tie it to a subscription service that doesn't let you purchase individual games.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Can't imagine they're too tied up. They were able to secure the rights for a whole bunch more games for the Wii and Wii U's virtual consoles, but now they want to tie it to a subscription service that doesn't let you purchase individual games.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Games offered through a virtual service are going to have different stipulations than ones offered through a subscription service. In a virtual service, the rights holders likely are able to take their games down essentially whenever they want with it only hurting them. In a subscription service, Nintendo likely has clauses set up so the games have to be their for a certain period of time. So if the rights holder wants to rerelease one of their games on the Switch themselves, they would have to compete against themselves.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
You are comparing apples and oranges. Games offered through a virtual service are going to have different stipulations than ones offered through a subscription service. In a virtual service, the rights holders likely are able to take their games down essentially whenever they want with it only hurting them. In a subscription service, Nintendo likely has clauses set up so the games have to be their for a certain period of time. So if the rights holder wants to rerelease one of their games on the Switch themselves, they would have to compete against themselves.

Fair enough. I'm not at all proficient in that sort of background legality. Now if only I could travel back to 2017 and slap the idea of their lackluster game subscription service out of some creative's head.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think I'm seeing more problems w/ the N64 stuff being brought up online than I would've expected, but for a 150% price increase to the base NSO membership, its fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Price was more than expected and I given my existing backlog is big enough I don't think I need to upgrade to be regularly paying even more for more games that I'm not playing (:

MW7

I've heard complaints about input lag on Ocarina of Time, graphics, and the control scheme in general. Input lag is noticeable, but I think it really is a problem for people who are accustomed to playing the games with a certain amount of lag. I've played Ocarina of Time many times across several formats and haven't had big issues with the lag. The graphics seem fine to me. Fog effects are almost nonexistent in Ocarina of Time on the Switch which is jarring for some people, but I wouldn't have even noticed if people didn't point it out. The control scheme is really odd (you have to use the right stick or a button combination for c right), but it hasn't been a problem for me except for control stick sensitivity. On joycons the stick is much more sensitive than on any other format I've played Ocarina of Time. I am very consistent at all the archery games for the OoT and MM across N64, Gamecube, and 3ds, but the very first slingshot gallery in OoT on the Switch took me 5 tries. I reached the adult portion of the game and still am having issues with aiming in first person.

I still will play these games over and over and love having them on the Switch. I hope there are some improvements made though particularly on control options for button mapping and control sensitivity.

I've heard complaints about input lag on Ocarina of Time, graphics, and the control scheme in general. Input lag is noticeable, but I think it really is a problem for people who are accustomed to playing the games with a certain amount of lag. I've played Ocarina of Time many times across several formats and haven't had big issues with the lag. The graphics seem fine to me. Fog effects are almost nonexistent in Ocarina of Time on the Switch which is jarring for some people, but I wouldn't have even noticed if people didn't point it out. The control scheme is really odd (you have to use the right stick or a button combination for c right), but it hasn't been a problem for me except for control stick sensitivity. On joycons the stick is much more sensitive than on any other format I've played Ocarina of Time. I am very consistent at all the archery games for the OoT and MM across N64, Gamecube, and 3ds, but the very first slingshot gallery in OoT on the Switch took me 5 tries. I reached the adult portion of the game and still am having issues with aiming in first person.

I still will play these games over and over and love having them on the Switch. I hope there are some improvements made though particularly on control options for button mapping and control sensitivity.

I'm curious what your experience will be like in the Water Temple. I'm so used to the ease of putting on and taking off the iron boots on the 3DS version that I don't think I could play the Water Temple any other way.

Reactions: MW7

MW7

I'm curious what your experience will be like in the Water Temple. I'm so used to the ease of putting on and taking off the iron boots on the 3DS version that I don't think I could play the Water Temple any other way.
I just finished the Forest and Water Temples tonight. I enjoy playing the game so much and the Water Temple in particular that I don't mind the pausing, but the 3ds version is objectively better in that respect. The other things besides the iron boots that the 3ds does better particularly with the Water Temple are the ocarina being permanently mapped to its own button and the extra item slot. I usually use the hookshot/longshot, bow, farore's wind, bombs, iron boots, and ocarina to complete the Water Temple so there clearly is much less pausing on the 3ds version.

Also I mentioned the button layout being weird so some songs are annoying to play especially when there is an "A" and "right c" press near each other because they can be the same button just without and with "ZR" held respectively. I've found myself using right stick for c buttons more often than I expected because of certain songs (Bolero of Fire was confusing to play at first and that's one of the easiest warp songs to remember and play in any other version). Zelda's Lullaby and other songs that are entirely c buttons are not bad at all.

I'll definitely play this version again, but the 3ds version is superior in many ways. I like the bigger screen on the Switch and ease of playing on a television though.

When this was announced, I was very excited. I couldn’t to play N64 games. I’ve already played a lot of Sega Mega Drive games, but the option of being able to play them was good too. For the first time in a while, I was very excited as my month hadn’t been the best.

Then I found out I’d have to pay €40 a year. No option to pay a little bit per week or month either. I have to pay €40 a year. I know most people are angry over this, but I’m honestly disheartened.

To put it simply, as a student with no income, I’m going to have to give this an iron pass.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
As of now, I think the new membership plan is a bit overpriced for what you get. I think most people who have wanted Sega Genesis games have already bought the various collections SEGA has released over the years and the lineup of N64 games is okay, but I have seen that they currently suffer from some graphical errors and lagging. I think once Nintendo fixes the lagging and adds the other N64 games, the plan will be worth the price. I plan on getting it sometime next year after they add MM and the original Pokemon Snap.

MW7

I am curious when to expect the next wave of games. I looked back when the online service was first launched and at first NES games were coming out every month, and then once Nintendo was running out of games SNES games were coming out every 3 months. Obviously N64 games are far more complicated, but I don't think it's impossible for these games to come as early as the end of November even though we haven't heard anything yet. More realistically would be the end of December. If we get beyond January with nothing new, it would be bad.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I am curious when to expect the next wave of games. I looked back when the online service was first launched and at first NES games were coming out every month, and then once Nintendo was running out of games SNES games were coming out every 3 months. Obviously N64 games are far more complicated, but I don't think it's impossible for these games to come as early as the end of November even though we haven't heard anything yet. More realistically would be the end of December. If we get beyond January with nothing new, it would be bad.
I would be willing to wait for January if it means the games are playable.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not to beat a dead horse, but meanwhile in Xbox Game Pass:

unknown.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom