• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When Link draws his sword...

W

WaffleZ

This is something that I can't quite seem to figure out, and it's keeping me up at night, even though it's small and insignificant.

When Link draws his sword and shield, how on Earth does he draw his shield?
If he reaches behind him, palm facing outwards, he would draw the shield facing the wrong way.
If he reaches behind him, palm facing inwards, he would draw the shield upside down.

The sheath for the sword is attached to his back by a sling which you can see is strapped over Link's torso. However, how does his shield even stay on his back?

Someone help so I can sleep already...

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I wondered about this as well. He magically is able to summon the shield from his back whenever he wants. It's just how it works I guess.:hmm:

Well, Zelda has a lot of things that defy the laws of physics in it. For example, where does Link put his items when not using them? He just seems to touch the item to his back, and BAM! They disappear.

Of course, it is possible that he has some magical thing hold his shield in place, and when he reaches out to grab it, palm out, he then flips it around on his arm so it ends up the right way out, and does this so fast that you can't see it. :D Probably not.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've never put any thought in that before, and therefore I have no input.
It is interesting though. Perhaps whenever the next time I play Zelda is, I'll have a look for that.

J

Joey Kazooie

Well, it's not as bad as having a load of items with complete costumes and a giant iron ball on a chain in your so called pocket, without noticing it on the outside.

E

ebuch

In ALttP, Nintendo just mirrored the sprites so when you face left, Link holds the sword in his left hand. When you face right, he holds it in his right hand. Or something like that. It was just easier to make it like that I guess.

W

WaffleZ

In ALttP, Nintendo just mirrored the sprites so when you face left, Link holds the sword in his left hand. When you face right, he holds it in his right hand. Or something like that. It was just easier to make it like that I guess.

Not quite what I'm talking about. I mean in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, when Link takes out his shield.
How does he do it without his shield facing the wrong way or holding it upside down?

E

ebuch

I know, I was off topic, but I just wanted to point out that OoT and TP are not the only games that had some things that didn't make sense regarding the sword/shield. I feel that there is no answer to your question, it is a game, and some things are better left unsaid. Nobody questions the clawshot, so why question the shield?

W

WaffleZ

Because Clawshot is just technology. Taking out his shield correctly is an actual physical action that can't be explained away by magic spells or technology. It completely baffles me too, because I can't find an explanation.

I know it's just a game, but Link isn't the only guy who carries a shield and sword on his back in that manner. I'm a bit curious as to how the mechanics of takings his shield out works.

E

ebuch

Ah, so if we're talking physics, Link should be able to fly through the air using a chain launching device. Both the shield drawing and the clawshot are both unrealistic, that's why I brought up the clawshot in the first place. It's just something that you're not supposed to really think about.

W

WaffleZ

I know, but it still bothers me.

If you don't think it's something worth finding out, that's okay. I was just wondering what other people thought about it. It's rather confusing, and a few people are intrigued by this, and so far nobody has a logical explanation.

I know it's from a game and it shouldn't be something worth investigating, but isn't it okay to ask questions and be curious for the sake of... asking questions and being curious?

linkman8

True and Noble
Well, Zelda has a lot of things that defy the laws of physics in it. For example, where does Link put his items when not using them? He just seems to touch the item to his back, and BAM! They disappear.
Duh, he puts them in that little pouch on his belt. Geez.

But I've also wondered myself how he gets his shield off of his back. I know he somehow attaches the shield to his scabbard, but how he gets it off cleanly is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom