• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U TPHD reviews

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Here is a list of review scores

God is a Geek: 10/10
•Gaming Nexus: 9.5/10
•XGN: 9.2/10
•Hobby Consolas: 91/100
•Gameblog.fr: 4.5/5
•FNintendo: 9/10
•GamesBeat: 90/100
•GameSpot: 9/10
•GamingTrend: 90/100
•Nintendo Life: 9/10
•NintendoWorldReport: 9/10
•We Got this Covered: 4.5/5
•Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5/5
•IGN: 8.6/10
•Gamer.nl: 8.5/10
•IGN Spain: 8.7/10
•Multiplayer.it: 8.6/10
•IGN Italia: 8.6/10
•CGMagazine: 8.5/10
•The Games Machine: 8.2/10
•Digital Chumps: 8.2/10
•SpazioGames: 8/10
•Everyeye.it: 8/10
•Metro GameCentral: 8/10
•Destructoid: 8/10
•Digital Spy: 4/5
•EGM Now: 8/10
•Game Rant: 4/5
•GamesRadar+: 4/5
•Lazygamer: 8/10
•Polygon: 8/10
•TheSixthAxis: 8/10
•USgamer: 4/5
•ShackNews: 7/10
•Nintendo Everything: "Thumbs Up"
•GameXplain AKA LameComplain: "Meh"

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I suppose I should give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm curious what reviewers you speak of? When I look at reviews, such as IGNs, they praise the actual game but complain that the graphical upgrade looks pretty....halfassed...compared to WWHD.
Polygon said:
The visual enhancements of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD are impressive, where present. A lot of textures — particularly those on important character models —€” have been fully replaced, making Link and the cast he comes in contact with as vibrant as they deserve to be. The more essential change is to the screen itself: Twilight Princess HD's UI is pared down —” the original's Wiimote-shaped interface, which took up nearly one-quarter of your TV's real estate, has been removed.

Twilight Princess HD's graphical improvements drive home what's truly unique about the game's aesthetic: It isn't just dark, it's bizarre. Across the various Hylian races, character proportions differ wildly from person to person. Faces drift between realistic and cartoonish, from clown-like to monstrous. Inhabitants of the Twilight Realm aren't just evil versions of franchise mainstays; they're tentacled mutants sporting ornate, gigantic black masks. Many enemies, and even some friends —” here's looking at you, Ooccoo —€” are downright uncomfortable to look at, making them all the more striking and memorable.
This seems to be the general consensus of most reviewers.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If reviews have to go by, this is hardly a "lazy port" at all. This is definitely a remade game, and that's a clear consensus around the board.

According the reviewers;
TPHD looks leagues better
TPHD plays leagues better
TPHD feels leagues better
There is a lot of new content that still remains faithful to game.

According to reviewers, you could not be any more wrong that it's a "lazy cash grab"
But you must remember, unless the subject material is Sonic '06, nobody is going to say bad things about a Zelda game. They are good goys and want their good goy shekels. TPHD is legitimately too easy, drawn out, and really just ugly in terms of models. But reviewers will either lightly touch on this, or ignore the fact entirely. Even GameXplain's Andre, who pretty much hates TP (and would under his own indication have a distaste for TPHD), held back significantly on the embers he would have placed on the game for being a steaming pile of poo.

•GameXplain AKA LameComplain: "Meh"

Almost made me legit lol.

GameXplain is so weird to me because it's so reminiscent of Nintendo Power back in the day. They're shamelessly pro-Nintendo in every aspect imaginable, and it takes a truly terrible game for them to acknowledge that Nintendo isn't all that great. The called last year's E3 a "down year", which is such an understatement that it's pretty funny.

But just like Nintendo Power, they have these weird biases that they just cram down their audience's throat at every conceivable point. They almost can't go just a single discussion video without naming their strangely intense dislike for games like Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess. It gets super annoying after a while.

This is a true statistic..... Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, got the same exact score from them as TPHD. Uhhhh...... what?

Again, these super weird biases that they don't even try to hide. I believe the reviewer of TPHD is even on record saying that dungeons are his least favorite part of a Zelda game. Why is this guy reviewing the Zelda game then? It seems like he dislikes a fundamental aspect of Zelda due to personal taste. Any good review organization would get someone else on that project.

I am beyond amused that the "Meh" is coming out of gamexplain, the site that supposedly can't stop talking about Twilight Princess. :P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I am beyond amused that the "Meh" is coming out of gamexplain, the site that supposedly can't stop talking about Twilight Princess. :P
Well in this case, it isn't from "gamexplain" but it's from "Andre from gamexplain".

That being said, even in the face of a poor review, GameXplain gets paid to be Nintendo shills. Of course they'll continue covering the game.

I've seen and read a fair few reviews at this point and finally managed to see optimised footage of the game on an hd tv, I'm not going to judge something I haven't played yet like many others are doing but I do want to get something off of my chest because I'm starting to think that I'm the only one with this particular opinion...

In short, what I want to say is this; leave this game alone!
Seriously, what was everyone expecting? I just cant process the reactions to this game that a lot of people seem to be having.

Were you all expecting TPHD to look like the wiiU's tech demo?
True, it did kind of feel like Nintendo set us up to be disappointed with TPHD, that tech demo looked damn good, and before the rumours of TPHD existing proved to be true we saw a picture of a wonderfully rendered TP-looking Link... But really, for what was going to be an HD remaster we all expected way too much. Really, if TPHD ended up looking like the U's tech demo, I'd argue that remake wouldnt be a strong enough word to describe it, much like what FF7 on ps4 will be.

TPhd was never going to be the tech demo standard, and its annoying me that people seem to be negative towards this game for that reason.

WWHD was a fine remake, but the art style, being as timeless as it is, meant that cleaning it up and adding superior lighting made it look fresh, not dated.

TP's art style hasn't aged well, but what I've seen of it looks great. Its a ten year old game, its a remaster, it was handled by a third party and I doubt much money needed to be funnelled into it, yet it looks better than any hd remaster I've seen. Have you all seen the Tomb Raider hd trilogy? The devil may cry hd trilogy? Jak and Daxter, Prince of Persia? They all look horrific, no love, no effort, no great amount of time was given to those releases yet none of those seem to have had the intense level of hate that TPhd is receiving when it is a product that has actually had effort put into it.

I really dont get the negativity, I'm glad though, that the reviews have been positive, with scores I was expecting (though most still bang on about the visuals).

I just cant get my head around the hate, a great game now looks and apparently plays a lot better, a ten year old game that hadn't aged very well, is worth playing and is still playable after a decade because of the effort put in. I think that's great. I just don't get why others dont.

Ah, my mind feels less cluttered now.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The problem is the lack of effort. After what they did for the others, I expected BETTER than the tech demo, now that we're at the end of the Wii U's lifespan. The difference here is so minimal I can barely tell the difference--usually I CAN'T tell the difference because it's so negligible. It's so half assed that people aren't even calling it a remake anymore, but a remaster. This laziness might have been excusable if Nintendo charged maybe...$30-40 for it, but instead we are being charged for a brand new game with only a halfassed effort.

This was after people complained WWHD didn't look superior enough compared to the original. This was annoying, but understandable because Wind Waker's style is so hard to work with that even rebuilding it from the ground up wouldn't have changed much. The change was, at least, noticeable, whereas TPHD's graphical change is small and subpar when compared to fan projects. The fact that fans, with much more limited resources, are able to create a more visually noticeable HD difference is inexcusable. This showcases both Nintendo's laziness and their inability to learn from mistakes.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I've seen and read a fair few reviews at this point and finally managed to see optimised footage of the game on an hd tv, I'm not going to judge something I haven't played yet like many others are doing but I do want to get something off of my chest because I'm starting to think that I'm the only one with this particular opinion...

In short, what I want to say is this; leave this game alone!
Seriously, what was everyone expecting? I just cant process the reactions to this game that a lot of people seem to be having.

Were you all expecting TPHD to look like the wiiU's tech demo?
True, it did kind of feel like Nintendo set us up to be disappointed with TPHD, that tech demo looked damn good, and before the rumours of TPHD existing proved to be true we saw a picture of a wonderfully rendered TP-looking Link... But really, for what was going to be an HD remaster we all expected way too much. Really, if TPHD ended up looking like the U's tech demo, I'd argue that remake wouldnt be a strong enough word to describe it, much like what FF7 on ps4 will be.

TPhd was never going to be the tech demo standard, and its annoying me that people seem to be negative towards this game for that reason.

WWHD was a fine remake, but the art style, being as timeless as it is, meant that cleaning it up and adding superior lighting made it look fresh, not dated.

TP's art style hasn't aged well, but what I've seen of it looks great. Its a ten year old game, its a remaster, it was handled by a third party and I doubt much money needed to be funnelled into it, yet it looks better than any hd remaster I've seen. Have you all seen the Tomb Raider hd trilogy? The devil may cry hd trilogy? Jak and Daxter, Prince of Persia? They all look horrific, no love, no effort, no great amount of time was given to those releases yet none of those seem to have had the intense level of hate that TPhd is receiving when it is a product that has actually had effort put into it.

I really dont get the negativity, I'm glad though, that the reviews have been positive, with scores I was expecting (though most still bang on about the visuals).

I just cant get my head around the hate, a great game now looks and apparently plays a lot better, a ten year old game that hadn't aged very well, is worth playing and is still playable after a decade because of the effort put in. I think that's great. I just don't get why others dont.

Ah, my mind feels less cluttered now.

Nintendo released a tech demo in the style of TP and it looked fantastic. They then told us of WWHD and how they experimented with all three styles (SS, TP and WW) We were led to believe that the tech demo was that very experiment.

What we were shown of TPHD at first we could not differentiate from the original game. We had to be shown comparisons to know we were seeing the footage of a remake. With Wind Waker HD anyone could have seen it was not the originals graphics and that it was a modern looking game. TP looked like an 08 xbox game.

If you look at WWSD it does not look good despite what some say. It may have aged better than TP but it doesn't look nice. WWHD is never really going to look old its in 1080p HD and because of its style gamers would not look back on it and say they could have made some more graphical improvements.

TPHD looked dated before it even released. They did not replace the character or scenery models, everything looks blocky despite the high resolution texturing and you can tell it is an old game. They should have remedied it and brought it up to modern standards like WWHD.

TP is a fine playing game with a great story and characters and the visuals of this HD version do not do it the justice it deserves. It is one of the most beloved games in the franchise and should have been given the love. Other developers like the Gears of War guys lovingly created their game models from scratch for the remake and it came out cheaper than TPHD is coming out. So I say bashing the game for its visuals is justified by any who want to. These people are right to be angry and should blow off some steam by bashing the game.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Perhaps in saying how "Dated" this game looks, you actually played it.

With many games, the way that Youtube compresses data, it utterly destroys the cage of the game.
Reviewers are saying that the game looks a ton better than the trailers and Youtube footage has led us to believe. Since many reviewers are agreeing that the graphics are vastly improved, we should take their word for it.

However, there is a huge difference between what is good, and outrageous expectations. If you have outrageous expectations, then you are going to be disappointed no matter what.

The game looks good. It is highly improved. There's nothing wrong with the game, and it really doesn't deserve an absurd amount of hatred.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It really doesn't matter. The difference between Youtube and the actual television will be minimal. Disagree if you want, but either way there is no excuse for the difference to be so minimal. Everyone should have immediately been able to tell that the footage was for a remake from the get-go, as was the case with WWHD.

It didn't matter that we only saw pictures or videos, we could all immediately tell the difference in OoT3DS, MM3DS, and WWHD. This is the only remake that needed a side by side comparison because the difference is just too small to see otherwise.

Nintendo has shown us they can do more than this with the Tech Demo. They are charging a full $60 for this, so there is NO reason not to take it to that level. And what makes this so maddening is that this is the second time Nintendo has shown us their potential and simply not lived up to it. It's like watching your son study his ass off for a practice quiz and come home with top marks, but then decide he's not going to study for the actual test and comes home with a D on his report card. It's frustrating yes, but it's also confusing. Why show us your true potential only to disappoint us when it really matters? It's confusing, illogical, and frustrating, which leads really pissed off fans.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Since many reviewers are agreeing that the graphics are vastly improved, we should take their word for it.
Groupthink =/= good idea.

Again, the reviewers are shills in plain sight. They aren't going to drop Nintendo's second most renowned franchise unless it begins with the letters "C", "D", and "i".

Nice reviews! Already got the game and i like it when the opening started all the great memories of playing it with friends or my sister came up the game looks good in hd way better then the blocky mess i played last summer.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Groupthink =/= good idea.

Again, the reviewers are shills in plain sight. They aren't going to drop Nintendo's second most renowned franchise unless it begins with the letters "C", "D", and "i".
Like GameSpot, one of the hardest websites on Nintendo. The site that gives absolute masterpieces like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, is a "Shill".
Mind you, they also gave SS a 6/10 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom