• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U TPHD reviews

I like to play games myself and then make my own opinion.
I agree mostly, but if I am on the fence about buying a game, I like a few opinions to see if the game is worth buying.

I was on the fence about Ultra Smash Tennis, but the other reviews totally turned me off it. Power Tennis on the GC is a better game in every way. If that was ported to the WiiU, not the waggle stick Wii version, I'd buy that there tomorrow.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I find it amusing that Gamespot gave a higher score to TP HD than the original Gamecube and Wii versions. I wonder if it's partly in response to the outrage over the original score all those years ago. Still, nice to see fairly positive reviews all across the board even if the overworld remains as barren as ever and the game is still slow to start.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think the reviews are pretty good. About what I expected.

GameSpot is still absolutely terrible however. They never even said why TP deserves a 9. I like the score, but the review attached to it was bad.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I find it interesting how the tables have turned however. Critically, Wind Waker HD is much more successful than Twilight Princess HD. So I guess that card cannot be used anymore.
WWHD has a Metascore of 90
TPHD currently has a Metascore of 85

A Link In Time

ZD Legend
I find it interesting how the tables have turned however. Critically, Wind Waker HD is much more successful than Twilight Princess HD. So I guess that card cannot be used anymore.

I'm pretty sure the Gamecube versions of both games have the same Metascore, and TWW is higher rated than TP Wii, so I'm not sure that argument ever existed. In the end, TP HD's critical reception is simply an indication of the lower effort put into it compared to the other 3D console Zelda remakes.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm pretty sure the Gamecube versions of both games have the same Metascore, and TWW is higher rated than TP Wii, so I'm not sure that argument ever existed. In the end, TP HD's critical reception is simply an indication of the lower effort put into it compared to the other 3D console Zelda remakes.
I mean, it seems more effort was put into TPHD than of WWHD. The game is completely retextured(instead of textures merely being up scaled like in WWHD). The only thing really changed was the bloom lighting, swift sale, and the triforce quest. WWHD was only made in about 6 months.

So really, I think it goes to show how well WW has aged in general.

A Link In Time

ZD Legend
I mean, it seems more effort was put into TPHD than of WWHD. The game is completely retextured(instead of textures merely being up scaled like in WWHD). The only thing really changed was the bloom lighting, swift sale, and the triforce quest. WWHD was only made in about 6 months.

So really, I think it goes to show how well WW has aged in general.

Do you have a source for TWWHD being made in only six months? The game was revealed in January and released in September, so the development cycle was probably closer to a year.

Yes, the base Wind Waker game has aged better than Twilight Princess, and more work was put into the TP retextures, but the gameplay changes in both games are rather minor, so it's hard to justify more work not being put into TP HD to get it even closer to modern visual standards. There were already hints for Twilight Princess HD at the way start of 2014, so there's no reason TP HD isn't up to par with the other 3D console Zelda remakes.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Do you have a source for TWWHD being made in only six months? The game was revealed in January and released in September, so the development cycle was probably closer to a year.

Yes, the base Wind Waker game has aged better than Twilight Princess, and more work was put into the TP retextures, but the gameplay changes in both games are rather minor, so it's hard to justify more work not being put into TP HD to get it even closer to modern visual standards. There were already hints for Twilight Princess HD at the way start of 2014, so there's no reason TP HD isn't up to par with the other 3D console Zelda remakes.
http://www.gamesradar.com/zelda-wind-waker-hd-took-6-months-develop/

The first we heard of WWHD was extremely early footage for the game. It was very early in development.

The 3 months before September probably didn't count as development time either. 1 month was probably used to catch up the localization of the game, the other 2 are merely filler because Nintendo never releases games in the dead of summer. Games themselves usually stop development at least 2 months before release for testing, review copies, and advertising.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

Well of course WWHD is ranked higher...they're reviewing these as remakes and whereas WWHD had some effort put into it, TPHD was a lazy cash grab that many people don't even consider a remake at all. I vastly prefer TP to tWW and even I would have given TPHD a 7 at most.

When you review a remake, you can't judge the original game. That's just asinine. That's like giving a N64 game a 9.5 and then, when a Wii U remake comes out with the exact same graphics, you give it a 9.5 again even though they did a crappy job. This is why every Zelda remake has had a lower score than the original.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Darkestlink touched on this. These games are reviewed as remakes and TPHD seems a lot lazier than WWHD.

I prefer the artstyle of TP yet WWHD looks way better than TPHD. It actually looks like a modern game wheras TPHD looks like something from 2008. WWHD therefore must score higher because of that. TPHD probably had more effort put in with its textures but reviewers dont see that or care. They see an 08 looking game. TP needed its models updated as well as retexturing to have the impact that the simple changes in WWHD had.

There were people who had a genuine problem with WW's sailing and the issue was fixed in the remake.

TP however had few complaints upon release and nothing really major. You hear fan complaints alot but the critics did not see these flaws to be as big as some vocal fans make out.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well of course WWHD is ranked higher...they're reviewing these as remakes and whereas WWHD had some effort put into it, TPHD was a lazy cash grab that many people don't even consider a remake at all. I vastly prefer TP to tWW and even I would have given TPHD a 7 at most.

When you review a remake, you can't judge the original game. That's just asinine. That's like giving a N64 game a 9.5 and then, when a Wii U remake comes out with the exact same graphics, you give it a 9.5 again even though they did a crappy job. This is why every Zelda remake has had a lower score than the original.
If reviews have to go by, this is hardly a "lazy port" at all. This is definitely a remade game, and that's a clear consensus around the board.

According the reviewers;
TPHD looks leagues better
TPHD plays leagues better
TPHD feels leagues better
There is a lot of new content that still remains faithful to game.

According to reviewers, you could not be any more wrong that it's a "lazy cash grab"

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I suppose I should give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm curious what reviewers you speak of? When I look at reviews, such as IGNs, they praise the actual game but complain that the graphical upgrade looks pretty....halfassed...compared to WWHD.

You can't exclusively use re-releases as a judge of the core quality of the game, let alone use them as comparisons that trump all when you're contrasting it to another. That kind of logic is flawed when we consider a variety of factors on top of past precedents.

Let's use an example outside of Nintendo, but still on the Wii U: Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition on the Wii U. You cannot argue that Batman Arkham City wasn't one of the best games of the last generation, and its metacritic score reflects that. It was a fantastic game through and through, and there weren't that many glaring problems with it. But when the Armored Edition came around, its score plummeted by 10 on metacritic to a more average 85. By your logic, this must mean that Arkham City got 10 points worse over that one year (because it is the "definite" edition with all of the DLC and new features), and now is worse than its preceding game, Arkham Asylum, which has an 91 on metacritic. In reality, the game scored less because it wasn't new enough or an upgrade in visuals enough for reviewers to justify its price tag. (Which sounds oddly familiar........)

This completely ignores all of the various factors that one has to consider. WW's overly simplistic art-style was designed almost to where it didn't need to be judged by current standards, because it wasn't playing by current standards. This made it incredibly simple to update it to an HD format - and buyers are looking at graphical updates the most whenever they're judging a re-release of a game titled the "HD edition". This is so critical, because Nintendo refuses to drop the price of the game to a reasonable level. The player has to still pay an outrageous amount of money for these Nintendo HD games when the competition is offering the same for $40.00 or less.

This is especially true with the climate in which WW and TP were released initially. They were both Gamecube games - this isn't a scenario where one can claim that the initial reviews were so far off that somehow the standards of modern gaming have radically changed to suit one or the other. The only truly drastic difference between the two in the core factors is the graphical style, (3D Zelda is the same genre throughout) which is coincidentally the biggest factor that contributes to if I'm going to shell out $50 dollars for this 10 year old game.

Also, keep in mind the factor that many of TP's new features are locked behind amiibo, Nintendo's newest "innovation". When I have to pay $50 dollars for a 10 year old game, and I'm not even guaranteed all of the new features, how am I going to feel about that? WWHD had no amiibo, and thus no content locked behind it. It's an entirely different can of worms that contributes to if TPHD is really worth buying or not.

What am I trying to say with all of this? Metacritic averages are not the be-all end-all when we're comparing "remakes", especially "HD remakes".

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom