• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zora / Rito

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Why do people seem to feel like the Zora evolved into the Rito? I understand the whole "Zora Symbol on Medli's Robes" thing, but that seems to be the only evidence or logic behind it. Even if evolution were true (I personally don't believe this, but this isn't the place for that), I would think that with the world flooding the Zoras would've thrived, so they would've had no reason to evolve. I would think that, if anyone would evolve into the Rito, it would be the Gorons. So why do people think the Zora are the ones to evolve into the Rito?

It's a good question, but I think I can provide the answer as to why there was the necessity to evolve. Throughout most of the Zelda universe, Zoras have been a freshwater species, the sole exception being the Oracle series. That means they can only survive in freshwater (Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, Zora's River, Great Bay); when Hyrule was flooded during the Great Flood, Hyrule became the Great Ocean, which is a large saltwater body. Because the Zoras couldn't survive in saltwater, the species adapted as a whole by evolving into the Rito. Since the Great Flood, there have been no Zoras on the Adult Timeline.

Djinn

and Tonic
Strangely enough Spirit Tracks has brought back the original Black Lagoon monster Zora from the old days. Only they are called geozards now.

Zora_Warrior_PH.png

I have been waiting to see a couple theories on that one but none so far.

It's a good question, but I think I can provide the answer as to why there was the necessity to evolve. Throughout most of the Zelda universe, Zoras have been a freshwater species, the sole exception being the Oracle series. That means they can only survive in freshwater (Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, Zora's River, Great Bay); when Hyrule was flooded during the Great Flood, Hyrule became the Great Ocean, which is a large saltwater body. Because the Zoras couldn't survive in saltwater, the species adapted as a whole by evolving into the Rito. Since the Great Flood, there have been no Zoras on the Adult Timeline.

I have thought that the Zora were not allowed to remain under the great sea, or above it for a reason. The Old Hyrule under the sea was to remain unnoticed and unreachable or else they might break the spell over Ganondorf, or be trapped in time themselves. The gods who flooded Hyrule did it to protect Hyrule and the people of it and if the Zoras remained they would know that there was definitely a country under the ocean and that there was no water beyond a point. The purpose behind the Tower of the Gods was to test a new individual and see if they were worthy enough to become the Hero. And then be sent down below the ocean to defeat Ganondorf and save the Hyrule.

For storytelling purposes the old Hyrule could not remain a secret and a legend for Link to slowly uncover if there were an entire tribe that knew all about it and could swim to it. The fact there happened to be a large air dome over a country beneath the ocean is a notable topic among a Zora tribe if Link were to find them and speak to a few random NPC's.

Pen

The game is on!
In Ocarina of Time the Zoras lived in lakes and rivers, those are freshwater.
When Hyrule was flooded all of the water was sea, saltwater.
So, probably the Hyrule-Zoras are freshwater-creatures, and had to evolve when all of the water turned salt.

The Temina-Zoras however, are saltwater-creatures, so they can live in the the sea.

:triforce:

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
First of all, the Zora did not evolve into birds. They 'evolved' into humans (possibly with beaks, we can't be sure), who were given wings by Valoo. So I think doing things like comparing fins to wings is pointless. I actually believe that there were wingless Rito on Greatfish Isle before Ganondorf destroyed it, possibly killing them all.

Why did they evolve? My answer is that Farore did it to protect Hyrule. Or maybe something more fanfic-ish went down, like "Go to the mountaintops before we flood Hyrule." "No thanks, we can swim." "Now you can't."

I also have a less satisfying answer. (source)
For the episode “The Wind Waker”, when we chose to situate the action in the middle of the ocean, we immediately felt the need to create a race that can move through the air. During long trips offshore, we needed faster characters capable of transmitting information to Link. It was at that moment that I remembered Watatara clan, you had invented for the adaptation of “Ocarina of Time.” In short, I digress a bit about the initials but we are inspired by your work to give birth to Rito Race, creatures that are half-man half-bird that can move very quickly with their wings.
They needed flying people for gameplay purposes, and they probably had no need for the Zora, so he used the evolution to explain the addition of one race and the removal of another.

I'm with Locke on this. It's a gameplay thing first and foremost. There's no way that Zora's could evolve to Rito's in a hundred years, or even hundreds of years. The change is extreme and it would take thousands of years to occur.

Just as a side note: if you drop a family of squirrels into the sea they don't suddenly start growing fins and gills. Not even after lots of generations. Mutations happen randomly and ones that benefit survival stick around. A few people on this forum don't seem to get that :P. If conditions change and a species can't survive - it will just die. This is why you don't see a lot of dinosaurs around. If the Zora's couldn't survive anymore there would be no descendants.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
'Evolution' in this case does seem to be a poor word choice. If Zoras had evolved to adapt to the new world they were just as likely to have evolutions that allowed them to survive in salt water. All it would take is finding fresh water to survive until that evolution came to be.

*Checks* I hadn't been too sure about this but the old enemy Zoras appear in Phantom Hourglass as well as Spirit Tracks. This bodes well for my line of thought on what happened to the race and why it suddenly stopped being water-borne as well as why there are mutated enemies sharing the same name. I had an unsupported thought that the waterways were cursed by darkness (maybe Ganon, maybe his followers), which begun changing the Zoras. The new, green and unpleasant Zoras were loyal to Ganon. Those who wished to be saved fled and perhaps decided to entrust their fate to a new Guardian God since Jabu Jabu could not protect them any longer (He's already disappeared by the time Adult Link turns up in OoT after all). Valoo, their new Deity, gave them forms that would allow them to walk on land, and when they came of age, he would grant them wings. No longer Zoras, they chose to name their new race after their former Queen/Princess/Ruler, which as generations passed became 'Rito'.

But as I said, there's nothing supporting this anywhere, really. Just a pondering.

Djinn

and Tonic
First of all, the Zora did not evolve into birds. They 'evolved' into humans (possibly with beaks, we can't be sure), who were given wings by Valoo. So I think doing things like comparing fins to wings is pointless. I actually believe that there were wingless Rito on Greatfish Isle before Ganondorf destroyed it, possibly killing them all.

Why did they evolve? My answer is that Farore did it to protect Hyrule. Or maybe something more fanfic-ish went down, like "Go to the mountaintops before we flood Hyrule." "No thanks, we can swim." "Now you can't."

This is similar to an earlier theory I had about the Zora appearing the same way as the Rito. I once thought that maybe the Zora were also Hylians that had a guardian deity in Jabu Jabu/Jabun that held the same position for them as Valoo did for the Rito. We know that a scale from Valoo is what grants the Rito the ability to fly, but what if a scale from Jabu Jabu is what grants the Zora the ability to breathe underwater. There is obviously something magical in their make as they give Link the abilities to swim and breathe as well. And over time future generations of the peoples of the deities take on some more characteristics created by the magic of their guardian deity. For the Rito they take on bird characteristics with beaks and feet, and the Zora with scaled skin and fins.

'Evolution' in this case does seem to be a poor word choice. If Zoras had evolved to adapt to the new world they were just as likely to have evolutions that allowed them to survive in salt water. All it would take is finding fresh water to survive until that evolution came to be.

It was the decision to use the very cnofusing concept of evolution of the Zora into Rito that has now created a whole new issue. Now there are people claiming that the monkeys of TP are the evolved Kokiri even though it makes no sense, but just as much as fish people evolving into bird people due to a flood. And the Garo are the evolved Tokay or Dark Interlopers. Now if any new tribe appears we have to assume that they are an evolved form of an older established tribe.

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Djinn: A new tribe having connections to old, established tribes is all well and good long as there's a reason, as far as I'm concerned. ;) Having certain similar aspects/artefacts for instance. Zora and Rito are connected by the insignia and the Sage who passed on her power, in much the same way the Korok are related to the Kokiri by the their sage and the Deku Tree. But at the same time, not everything has a connection to established tribes as far as I can tell. The Anouki for instance.

Djinn

and Tonic
Oh I have seen a few Anouki evolved from ____ threads in the past. The Korocks were at least similar enough to the Kokiri that it was understandable. They were also called the children of the Deku Tree, even one told Link that they had human forms in the past. But the Zora into Rito thing is what I believe gave the whole evolution concept in Hyrule momentum.

My point above is that now a lot of the newer tribes that appear are thought to have evolved from tribes that appeared in OoT. The Oocca evolving from Hylians, or Wind Tribe is another example. There is not enough evidence to explain just how such a drastic, and possibly unsuitable, evolution would happen in a matter of a few centuries.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
The Korocks were at least similar enough to the Kokiri that it was understandable. They were also called the children of the Deku Tree, even one told Link that they had human forms in the past.
And don't forget the whole Fado/Makar connection. If Medli is a direct descendant from Laruto, it's only consistent that Makar is a direct descendant from Fado. Which confirms that the Kokiri became the Korocks.

O

OcarinaMaiden

Power to the Zoras!!

I understand the logic, but personally I hate the Ruto people!! The flying thing is pretty cool, but Zoras should NEVER be replaced.
NEVER.
Zoras swim- that's really cool! They should've had them living underwater or something sweet like that!!!
And Zoras are way hotter.
Beaks are NOT sexy.
At all.
Fins and gills are much easier to work with.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
The fins on the Zoras could have evolved to wings of the Rito! I think this is so cool how all of these games can be pieced together to form an intricate, totally realistic story!

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I always took the whole "no fish swim in that sea" quote from Ganondorf just before you fight Puppet Ganon in WW as evidence for the need of evolution amoung Zoras. I doubt all the fish in the Great Sea died off but such a huge transition from small pools too a very large ocean would leave some fish standed in large areas with a little supply of food, and as you know in OoT it is stated that fish is the main food of zoras. So less food for fish means less fish for the Zoras which would mean the zoras would start to starve. So in conclusion because the change in their habitat effected their food supply the zoras in turn with the help from the goddesses evolved into the Rito.:nerd: I'm sure the Zoras from other lands that managed to survive the flood remained zoras. As for the Zoras enemies we see in the older games and recent titles .... well you got me I have know idea.

Oh and OcarinaMaiden I can understand antropomorphic hedgehogs and cats. But fish people? for shame:xd::xd: JK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom