• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zora / Rito

S

s4ad0w

Why do people seem to feel like the Zora evolved into the Rito? I understand the whole "Zora Symbol on Medli's Robes" thing, but that seems to be the only evidence or logic behind it. Even if evolution were true (I personally don't believe this, but this isn't the place for that), I would think that with the world flooding the Zoras would've thrived, so they would've had no reason to evolve. I would think that, if anyone would evolve into the Rito, it would be the Gorons. So why do people think the Zora are the ones to evolve into the Rito?

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
Think about it logically: the Zoras had migrated to a much higher landscape and the few islands were spaced apart. The Zoras must not have been accustomed to swimming long distances, seeing as how many never traveled beyond their domain. To travel higher and farther, the Zoras evolved wings in the place of fins. They could easily travel from island to island, and in the process the postal system was established.

Djinn

and Tonic
The evidence comes from what Lauto tells Link

In order to return the power to repel evil to
your sword, you must find another to take
my stead in this temple and ask the gods
for their assistance.

You must find the one who carries on
my bloodline... The one who holds this
sacred instrument...

Nothing can stop the flow of time or the
passing of generations...but the fate carried
within my bloodline endures the ravages of
all the years. It survives.

That and the use of Nayru's symbol, the same as the Zora has lead people to believe that they are related. However the Nintendo Gallery gives us some different information regarding their origin.

Koboli
Birthplace: Windfall Island

Koboli is the third generation in a family
of postmen, but rumor has it that an
ancestor of his in an age gone by was also
a postman...

Which would connect
130px-MM_Postman.png
Koboli_Figurine.jpg

To me this is slightly clearer evidence as an ancestor is listed. Plus the one thing that always made me question the Rito Zora origins was the fact that they look a little too human. At least they carry more human features than the typical Zora. They have hair, pupil eyes (although this has changed since TP) skin like a humans while Zoras have scales, and ears.

rito3.jpg

zora1e.jpg

In fact Red eyes, dark skin, and white hair seems to be a common trait among all Rito, other than Medlii who has red hair.
ritooutsidedragonroost.png

And we learn from gaining the grappling hook that they were once a non flying tribe that still must gain their wings magically from Valoo. Whick actually led to to look for other evidence of who might have become the Rito by the time of Wind Waker. First I looked to the Gerudo. They have a darker skin and very beak like noses in OoT. But they also commonly have yellow eyes and red hair. And no not have the Hylian pointed ear. So then I looked to someone else using the same characteristics. Who else has darker skin, red eyes, white hair, and was known to live at the base of Death Mountain?

Impa_OoT.jpg

Then all of a sudden owning tools like a grappling hook to get around Death Mountain seems to make more sense.

Of course all of this is speculation piled upon speculation using pics from two separate games as my evidence.

S

s4ad0w

Think about it logically: the Zoras had migrated to a much higher landscape and the few islands were spaced apart. The Zoras must not have been accustomed to swimming long distances, seeing as how many never traveled beyond their domain. To travel higher and farther, the Zoras evolved wings in the place of fins. They could easily travel from island to island, and in the process the postal system was established.

The reason they never veered far from their domain was because they thrive in the water, not because they couldn't swim far distances. All Zora we've ever seen, have been either in, or neer the water (Except for in A: Majora's Mask with the Indigo-Go's, but those Zora may have grown differently, and B: That Zora Prince (Can't remember his name) in TP, who had to be dragged to the Hospital in Hyrule, so I can't really count him)

Michael Heide said:
Besides, there are three Gorons in Wind Waker, and even more in the DS sequels.

I know they were there, I was just saying they seemed more likely to have evolved into the Rito than the Zora.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Of course all of this is speculation piled upon speculation using pics from two separate games as my evidence.
And it's an interesting train of thought, especially the Sheikah part. The only problem is that Aounuma San confirmed that the Rito came from the Zora.

The only thing I don't understand is why an aquatic race would evolve into a bird-like race in a time of a Great Flood. They were already more than equipped for that kind of a world, why would they evolve into something that would leave them off worse?

because it was a sea, the salt water would be deadly to zoras, since they live in fresh water, the zoras in great bay were in termina, an alternate world, so it might nt apply to them

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
And since birds in real life evolved from reptiles, which evolved from amphibians, which evolved from fish, it's not even as unbelievable as some say. The timeframe is a bit odd (such a drastic evolutionary leap over the course of just one hundred years), but it's a fantasy world with copious amounts of magic swirling around, so even that's excusable.

^
Actually, "hundreds" would be more accurate than just a hundred. That also makes the time frame a little less awkward.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Not according to Aonuma and Miyamoto...

Aonuma: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time. You can tell this from the opening story, and there are references to things from Ocarina located throughout the game as well.
Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?
Aonuma: From the end.
Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a...
Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

M

Mechanical Gun

I know they were there, I was just saying they seemed more likely to have evolved into the Rito than the Zora.
Then you don't know your basics of evolution. If Gorons evolved into Rito, there would be no more Gorons, just Rito.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom