• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles Mafia: Destructive Reawakening

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
It seems like we're running in circles.

ALIT has always played like this, but I'm glad he made an exception to help clear up confusion.

Diego, I have some suspicions on your play style, but that suspicion is for everyone. I say Guilty until proven innocent. Every one of you could be Mafia, so each of you is a suspect that should be examined. That being said, I have no strong evidence against you, and I never said I did. I have nothing solid so I won't push a lynch on anybody at this point.

ALIT is an incredibly experienced player, I think the fact that five people jumped on his bandwagon is kind of suspicious. I believe in pressure voting, but that high of a number is a little odd to me. I doubt any of these people are Mafia trying to out an experienced player, since few of them actually have played here much, let alone with ALIT. I do think some Mafia might have jumped on this BW to blend in, just a hunch though, I want to take a look at these players posts some more.

Diego

Donger King of leis
Hey, guys. I apologize for not posting in the last nearly four days in real life time.

I agree with your statement that Day 1 events shouldn't be ignored, however, it isn't always wisest to piece together the puzzle haphazardly. It's much more valuable to return to early posts as the game progresses and new information is revealed.

There was a case like this in a mafia game here on ZD a few years back. Raindrop14 made a random vote for Vergo on the first day with a rather ridiculous reason as to why she was voting for him. Later on, she made a post asking people not to be rash about lynching JuicieJ, who turned out to be a member of the mafia. Raindrop's allegiance only became clear after several more in game days. Unfortunately, I can't link the post revealing the role of the aforementioned players due to the game mod of said game being banned, but you can confirm my statements by scrolling down page 52 of the game thread I linked the previous posts from.

I'll definitely return to take a closer look at how events pan out, but I firmly believe acting on intuition is a foolish strategy. Mafia members change up their strategies from game to game. A stale strategy is a predictable one.

---

The main thing I see after this is a debate about the merits of random votes on day ones. I can definitely vouch for the value of pressure votes to get people talking, but I'm not a fan of just throwing a name out there just for the sake of having voted. There was a period where I started most game with a random vote for Crus@der77x, but that was more of a running joke than anything else. That said, random votes have some value in that they gauge peoples' reactions to being voted for. Again, it's not information that I would necessarily use on day one, but it could prove useful as the game progresses.

I don't agree with the first sentence of this post, since, as I alluded to earlier, people can change their play styles and interactions from game to game, but the latter part of this paragraph raises a really good point. This is why I'm a proponent of not hastily acting on information, and instead returning to older posts as players die and their roles are revealed or a role claim is made. The example I linked above from Majora's Mask Mafia illustrates how a mafia member can distance themselves from his or her allies early on in the game under a "silly" pretext for voting.

I agree and disagree. Discussion should be free flowing. A lack of discussion doesn't point to a sure conclusion, however. Townie power roles can also lurk in the shadows if their role is particularly valuable, such as a cop or a doctor. These people usually try to make just enough posts to be off peoples' inactivity radars but not enough to attract any unwarranted attention.

I'm fine with this for now. There's no way to determine his allegiance at present. There have been mafia members with his aggressive play style on ZD before, but if he is town, there definitely is a chance the mafia may target him tonight. Only time will tell.

I generally post a bit less on day one, because nothing of interest tends to happen in mafia games on ZD. This game is a clear exception. Since there has been activity at every point in this game, I foresee myself being active from here on out until I die.

I know it's hard to believe. This is indeed msuicfan's normal behavior, whether town or mafia. That said, he usually behaves this way later in game. Musicfan's decision to call the vig for back up is quite strange. Obviously, it won't work if he dies today, and he's mafia. If he's town, on the other hand, there's no reason for him to resign to his fate so early. I'm not willing to vote for musicfan at this juncture after his soft claim. If the cop investigates him, it will gives us more information. Of course, the cop should by no means claim if only one mafia member is discovered. They need to figure out another way to signal the players of possible scum. I only support the cop claiming if they can reveal at least half of the mafia members in a given game with their claim.

JC's behavior doesn't stand out to me. He's typically been against lynching inactives and he posts a lot during all phases of the game. This is exactly what you're describing when you refer to him as "cautious and aggressive".

I don't recall making jokes about your name. Anyhow, as I've repeated several times in this post, I myself have never said day one is useless. It's important to keep in mind as the game progresses and more information is revealed.

I think "passive" is a bit of a misnomer. I enjoy playing mafia like solving a puzzle. My activity in game increases exponentially from day to day as more information is revealed, and the pieces of the puzzle start to come together. What I do oppose is acting on impulse.

My experience with "town" leaders has been mixed. Some are town and lead the rest of the townies to victory, some are town and completely flounder, and some are simply very deceptive mafia that are adept at role playing. I think everyone who has this type of play style has to be evaluated on an individual basis. I haven't played with Diego before this game, and I'm not sure whether his behavior will remain consistent or change with future game days. Everyone who's unconfirmed, which is basically everyone except maybe musicfan, should be treated with suspicion. Even then, we can't fully rely on a soft claim until it's hinted at or openly confirmed by a cop of other investigative ability.

See guys?
Is this so hard to ask?
I want to see this kind of attitude change on this town: Day 1 is important, activity is important, and those of us who do not post are, by the very defininition of it. behaving in an Anti-Town manner.

We're not monsters. I'm not a dick to the people here because I love to, but because we need to change the mentality here. Activity is good, and it should be encouraged by word and by sword.

Unvote.

Now, I expect you ALiT to stay with us, and actually play. Because if you fall back to your previous behaviour, chances are you're hiding something quite... malicious.

Diego

Donger King of leis
****, my part got stuck inside the quote. Reposting

See guys?
Is this so terrible to ask?
I want to see this kind of attitude change on this town: Day 1 is important, activity is important, and those of us who do not post are, by the very defininition of it, behaving in an Anti-Town manner.

We're not monsters. I'm not a dick to the people here because I love to, but because we need to change the mentality. Activity is good, and it should be encouraged by word and by sword.

Unvote.

Now, I expect you ALiT to stay with us, and actually play. Because if you fall back to your previous behaviour, chances are you're hiding something quite... malicious.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Wow, I come back from work and all of a sudden there's a substantial bandwagon against ALiT...

I'm not willing to jump on that bandwagon. As PokaLink said, he knows how ALiT plays, and I did some earlier browsing to verify this point. That alleviates some of my suspicions of ALiT, particularly those of his post count. I also agree with PokaLink on the possibly that at least one Mafia member could've jumped on the bandwagon, because I've seen that strategy used in a previous game. While I don't completely trust PokaLink, I do think he brought up those two valid points.

Diego

Donger King of leis
Oh, and PokaLink, it's okay.
I'm not asking the people to trust me. By no means. I'm just making sure things... keep happening in the case I die.
Because I don't want to be a "Leader" or that thing you guys labeled me. I'm just showing you the path we should take together. Now, if you decide to follow it or not is completely up to you.

But I will keep myself going on this train, because I know it works.

Diego

Donger King of leis
Wow, I come back from work and all of a sudden there's a substantial bandwagon against ALiT...

I'm not willing to jump on that bandwagon. As PokaLink said, he knows how ALiT plays, and I did some earlier browsing to verify this point. That alleviates some of my suspicions of ALiT, particularly those of his post count. I also agree with PokaLink on the possibly that at least one Mafia member could've jumped on the bandwagon, because I've seen that strategy used in a previous game. While I don't completely trust PokaLink, I do think he brought up those two valid points.
You Savage, are you still voting for me, or what?
I mean, not that it really worries me. I'm just... interested. If I got you rigt, you voted me because you felt like I was imposing myself, "trying way too hard to look pro-town"
It's all cool if you still think that, but I'm just curious.
How do youn feel about all of the people (me included) who voted for ALiT?
(I'll give you a friendly advice: compare them to the ones who voted for MusicFan. Look who started it, their reasons... you'll find someting... interesting there)

Or else... well, I think you are gonna need a bigger Vote

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
A Link In Time (5) - Rosa Luxemburg, Frozen Chosen, Diego, Spiritual Mask Salesman, Eoghan
musicfan (5) - Rosa Luxemburg, Diego, Spiritual Mask Salesman, JC-Hurin, Eoghan

4 people were on both lynches you're saying I'll guess. If someone is maf, they'd probably be on both. Which leads me to look at Eoghan and SMS, since Ifeel good about Diego and Rosa. Those two also led both lynches though. Hrm...

Diego

Donger King of leis
Now you have at least 4 people that voted in two clear bandwaggons (btw yes, I'm counting myself in those 4)
This is a lead, I'm pretty sure that at least one of us, the ones who voted twice are Mafia. That's because the "targets" I picked were easy lynches: non talkative, with a weird behaviour... Of course I also wanted them tpo speak up, so it served that pupose too.

Day 1 is useless, you guys say? There you have it, voting patterns. Serious voting patterns.

No need to thank me, I'm pretty sure next time you guys will be able to do it by themselves...

Diego

Donger King of leis
Dang is late. Sorry for the typos, but I hope I proved my point. Only with activity and encouragment you get results like this, no matter how "early" the game is.

Eoghan

Kasutony
Unvote

This is a gesture of faith that you'll actually participate for the rest of the day.

@DekuNut All I "have to say for myself" should be evidenced in what I said previously throughout this Day. I knew full well what I was getting into by joining Diego's antics, so you're welcome to grill me. That said, I'm not going to reiterate myself. If you have to ask something that was already established, it's a fault of your own, not mine.

I am, however, going to reread the thread and see who's slacking behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom