• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on amiibo/DLC items in BotW/TotK now that TotK treats them...differently...?

The stuff like Phantom Ganon? Yes, that appearing as loot in a chest that Link picks up would be non-canon, yes.
So then what is the in-universe point of the labyrinths, or Misko's treasure, or that one Lurelin side quest. It's sanctioning off a large chunk of TotK's content because...the rewards are past-game references? When there are already enough cross-timeline past-game references to lead any normal player to be incredibly confused about what the past of BotW/TotK looks like: was there a hero steeped in the embers of Twilight, did Ruto help Link save the day, how did the Termina kid get on the carving? Or are all references to the past just not canon? Cuz that limits the scope of theorizing in a challenging but potentially interesting way.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So then what is the in-universe point of the labyrinths, or Misko's treasure, or that one Lurelin side quest. It's sanctioning off a large chunk of TotK's content because...the rewards are past-game references? When there are already enough cross-timeline past-game references to lead any normal player to be incredibly confused about what the past of BotW/TotK looks like: was there a hero steeped in the embers of Twilight, did Ruto help Link save the day, how did the Termina kid get on the carving? Or are all references to the past just not canon? Cuz that limits the scope of theorizing in a challenging but potentially interesting way.
Those are things that exist natively in the game world and acknowledged by its residents.

Meanwhile the Phantom Armor is a nice easter egg.

All the amiibo armor sets? Yes.
I meant the Ruto tablet, location names, Zelda monologue, statues and location models. "The Island Lobster Shirt is not canon" model suggests the Goddess Statues are just nice references to Skyward Sword, same with the place names referencing the AT, same with TP monologue references or Terminian Goron Elder's Son carvings etc. That this Hyrule isn't a cohesive verisimilitudinal world, but rather a collection of piecemeal references approximating a kingdom. Maybe I'm overblowing it, but if you can't trust the game to be conveying, you know, what's happening in the game, what can you trust?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I meant the Ruto tablet, location names, Zelda monologue, statues and location models. "The Island Lobster Shirt is not canon" model suggests the Goddess Statues are just nice references to Skyward Sword, same with the place names referencing the AT, same with TP monologue references or Terminian Goron Elder's Son carvings etc. That this Hyrule isn't a cohesive verisimilitudinal world, but rather a collection of piecemeal references approximating a kingdom. Maybe I'm overblowing it, but if you can't trust the game to be conveying, you know, what's happening in the game, what can you trust?
I've been pretty specific about the stuff I consider a fun reference: the amiibo armors and stuff like the Fused Shadow. Not sure where you're pulling everything else from.

I've been pretty specific about the stuff I consider a fun reference: the amiibo armors and stuff like the Fused Shadow. Not sure where you're pulling everything else from.
So the game is canon, everything in the game is canon (dialogue, placenames, item descriptions) except:

Island Lobster Shirt, Ravio's Hood, Zant's Helmet, Midna's Helm, Majora's Mask, Sheik's Mask, Fierce Deity Set and Sword, Set of Awakening, Sword and Set of the Hero, Biggoron's Sword, Set of Time, Sea-Breeze Shield and Boomerang, Set of the Wind, Dusk Claymore and Bow, Set of Twilight, White Sword of the Sky, Set of the Sky, Tingle's Set, Phantom Set, Evil Spirit Set

And their cooresponding quests:

Dad's Blue Shirt, Secluded Coliseum, Scorching Coliseum, Lone Island Coliseum, Floating Coliseum, Desert Coliseum, Misko Treasure, Old Maps, Akkala House of Bones, Thyphlo Ruins quest, Forgotten Temple quest, Lomei Labyrinths quest

Or are the quests still canon, just the rewards aren't?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So the game is canon, everything in the game is canon (dialogue, placenames, item descriptions) except:

Island Lobster Shirt, Ravio's Hood, Zant's Helmet, Midna's Helm, Majora's Mask, Sheik's Mask, Fierce Deity Set and Sword, Set of Awakening, Sword and Set of the Hero, Biggoron's Sword, Set of Time, Sea-Breeze Shield and Boomerang, Set of the Wind, Dusk Claymore and Bow, Set of Twilight, White Sword of the Sky, Set of the Sky, Tingle's Set, Phantom Set, Evil Spirit Set

And their cooresponding quests:

Dad's Blue Shirt, Secluded Coliseum, Scorching Coliseum, Lone Island Coliseum, Floating Coliseum, Desert Coliseum, Misko Treasure, Old Maps, Akkala House of Bones, Thyphlo Ruins quest, Forgotten Temple quest, Lomei Labyrinths quest

Or are the quests still canon, just the rewards aren't?
Just the rewards, yeah. I'm very specific about the stuff I'm disregarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom