• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things you would improve in OoT

Roger Rad

The Fabulous One
I would have Zelda Master Quest have all the Ura content (e.g. the extra dungeons)

I think the addition of something like a bombers notebook from MM3DS would be pretty cool. Obviously not for side quests but for the aspect of tracking heart pieces and skulltulas that you have to backtrack for.

Other than that, the 3D remake bettered whatever needed to be changed up. Maybe they could've added more warp points? Idk

I think a few minor tweaks could be made to improve the experience.
  • Giving link a slightly faster run speed and climb speed would help the game feel more streamlined.
  • Adding in some of the advanced combat moves from WW or TP could be cool. Of course, the difficulty of the enemies should be beefed up in this case.
  • Allowing cutscenes to be skipped.
  • I'm iffy about this one, but perhaps an item could be introduced that would help track down skulltulas and poes, similar to the poe lantern in TPHD. Perhaps this item could sort of replace the stone of agony and be a sort of secret finder item that also helps you find bombable pits and such.

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
I think the addition of something like a bombers notebook from MM3DS would be pretty cool. Obviously not for side quests but for the aspect of tracking heart pieces and skulltulas that you have to backtrack for.

Other than that, the 3D remake bettered whatever needed to be changed up. Maybe they could've added more warp points? Idk

This. The Bomber's Notebook was really helpful in Majora's Mask because there are so many different little side quests to do and a lot of them have to be done on certain days at certain times. But even just a list of all the heart pieces/skulltulas that you've collected and maybe where you've found them.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
If I could change anything, I'd tune up the graphics, add gyroscopic controls, and rererelease it on the 3DS. Wait...
But seriously, I think the 3DS remake was everything I could possibly have asked for... And a Shiekah Stone. Because some people don't have Google? That aside, I think adding or changing anything they didn't address in the new version would fundamentally alter the game on a level I don't want to see unless they're literally going to reconstruct the game from the ground up.
If they were going to do this, I think they'd need to build a new engine, build the graphics on that instead of just retexturing, reimagine the world with all of its iconic locales, but expand upon each one until it's at least the size of Twilight Princess, add more optional content, rescript the story, record voices for cutscenes, and redesign the dungeons to keep their theme, but create new challenges and puzzles along the way.
The biggest problem with this is that if they're going to make a new game from the ground up, why wouldn't they make a NEW game? For this reason, I struggled with LBW, as the world was too familiar from years of playing LttP. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but I would have liked it twenty times better if they hadn't copied and pasted the entire damn map. This is also the reason a Gameboy remake of the original Zelda turned into Oracle of Seasons. I think if they're going to do that much work, they should just make a new game.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Hmm.. wouldnt change much, or really anything at all. Maybe make King Zora shift his arse faster to let you through.
Definately agree with this! Sometimes I struggled to get the right camera angle especially in he shadow temple when I was trying to run with the hover boots in a straight line. And this is on the 3ds. Maybe I just never found an easy way to manage it.

It definitely has an incredibly bland over world. Along with the complaint of not having a lot to do with Epona, you could really kill two birds with one stone here.

It definitely has an incredibly bland over world. Along with the complaint of not having a lot to do with Epona, you could really kill two birds with one stone here.
What do you think could be done to resolve this? Filling up overworlds with interesting and meaningful things is always tricky. Should more monsters be added? That could get annoying if you're just trying to cross the field and are plagued with monster attacks. So maybe more NPCs or a new location somewhere in the field? Maybe a pond or two where you can fish?

What do you think could be done to resolve this? Filling up overworlds with interesting and meaningful things is always tricky. Should more monsters be added? That could get annoying if you're just trying to cross the field and are plagued with monster attacks. So maybe more NPCs or a new location somewhere in the field? Maybe a pond or two where you can fish?

More NPC's wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, considering there's no horseback combat, and I agree, it would become annoying very quickly. The ponds would improve both the overworld, and the fact that the fishing isn't exactly utilized anywhere other than the fishing mini game, which is both a plus and a minus, like it is in Twilight Princess.
I think there's definitely room to fit things into the overworld as it is. It's so large and barren that anything could really be fit into it. Majora's Mask even improves upon this, with the chests, and hidden holes, and things.

More NPC's wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, considering there's no horseback combat, and I agree, it would become annoying very quickly. The ponds would improve both the overworld, and the fact that the fishing isn't exactly utilized anywhere other than the fishing mini game, which is both a plus and a minus, like it is in Twilight Princess.
I think there's definitely room to fit things into the overworld as it is. It's so large and barren that anything could really be fit into it. Majora's Mask even improves upon this, with the chests, and hidden holes, and things.
That's true. I like the idea of having more little secrets and goodies in the field. Secret caves... hidden chests... a fishing pond or two. That would improve the feeling of the overworld greatly. If you start to make big changes like that to an iconic field like OOT's hyrule field, though, I'm sure a lot of fans would be upset!

That's true. I like the idea of having more little secrets and goodies in the field. Secret caves... hidden chests... a fishing pond or two. That would improve the feeling of the overworld greatly. If you start to make big changes like that to an iconic field like OOT's hyrule field, though, I'm sure a lot of fans would be upset!

Zelda fans are also probably one of the easiest fan bases to upset on the internet in general, other than perhaps Sonic fans. They tend to freak out over little things, such as Link being right handed in Skyward Sword and such.
But I also figured the thread was more of a "If you had created Ocarina of Time, what would you have done differently," Rather than a "If you wanted to mod Ocarina of Time, what would you do," sort of thing.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
But I also figured the thread was more of a "If you had created Ocarina of Time, what would you have done differently," Rather than a "If you wanted to mod Ocarina of Time, what would you do," sort of thing.
I'm not sure that's a fair question to pose, since at the time, not a single thing listed here was even considered an issue. Most of these issues that people are coming up with are based on works design like filling the overworld and NPC usefulness. These things are staples of gaming today, especially in big sandbox games we're comparing it to, but when Ocarina of Time came out, this entire concept was brand new. Given the fact that this game was a gateway from the old school 2D world of gaming to the grand settings we find ourselves trekking through in games of this era, I think it was the best anybody could have done at the time.

I think it's pretty great, I just wish that Epona would be available earlier. Save time running back in forth from area to area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom