• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Sunshine (Danny Boyle) --9/10

One of my favourite space sci-fi movies. Its so good, its beautifully written and so well directed. I like its half realistic and half sci fi approach.

The ending is great too. Would recommend.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Beauty and The Beast 9/10 - Would have liked to have seen this sooner but at least I got around to it in the end. Loved the film and enjoyed it even more than the animated version. I found it to be faithful to the original but with even more content added which made for a pleasant surprise.

Pen

The game is on!
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 9/10

Never before have I laughed so much during a Spider-Man film. Tom Holland does both the awkward nerd and the extrovert joke cracker splendidly, and he carries the film with utmost brilliance from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed everything from the story to the music to the casting and acting to the special effects to the pure experience of it all. I just got home after watching it and I know I'll definitely go watch it at the cinema at least once more. :D

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Wonder Woman

Easily the best DC Comics movie since The Dark Knight, and the best in the DCEU by far. A fantastic origin story with great pacing, great acting, great action scenes, great visuals, great music... it has everything! I knew about the twist at the end because of the cast list, but it's not like it was unexpected anyway. It was an expected twist, but it wasn't expected in a bad way, because it really worked. Overall a pleasant surprise, and the first truly good DCEU film.

9/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Well, I don't have a whole lot to say about this movie. I mean I definitely enjoyed it, but it lacked a certain charm that the first film had. I feel like it tried too hard to do what made the first movie so great, in that there was a good mix of humour and seriousness; I just think the difference between the humour and the seriousness of the film was too drastic to be enjoyable. The first film had a perfect mix. Also, I saw the twist coming from a mile away, and it did not do anything to me. I didn't feel like Ego was all that great of a villain for this movie, and I thought the story could have used some work. It is a pretty damn hilarious film, though, and I think the soundtrack is even better than the first film's. Also, Michael Rooker totally steals the show as Yondu Udonta, his scenes were consistently good and among the best in the movie.

In the end, I just didn't come out of this movie feeling like it wowed me. It wasn't disappointing, it just wasn't what I was hoping for.

7.5/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Have to admit, I was a little disappointed in this movie when I watched it. I really really hoped it would be good, especially with the return of William Turner, but it just didn't deliver for me. Jack doesn't seem nearly as charismatic as he was in any of the previous films, Henry and Carina weren't really all that interesting of characters (and they're not good replacements for Will and Elizabeth), and I didn't feel like Salazar was all that great of a villain. Why was he never mentioned in any of the previous films? Why is one of the biggest threats in the Caribbean only mentioned when he becomes relevant? Also, he went down like nothing. I don't even think unnamed character needed to do what he did to end him (although that was, imo, one of the best parts of the movie). The humour wasn't really there like in the previous films either, and I really hoped for an epic Flying Dutchman scene with William Turner a la Pirates 2, and that never happened. I was also hoping to see Barbossa do something awesome as the captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge, like at the end of On Stranger Tides, and that didn't happen. Overall, while I thought it was better than On Stranger Tides overall, it just didn't do it for me.

7/10

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Aw man. Just saw this last night, and definitely was not disappointed. This is the first Spider-Man movie, out of six, that genuinely does a really great job of portraying both the characters of Peter Parker, and his alter ego Spider-Man. Tom Holland, of course, certainly helps in that aspect. Story wise, I thought it really worked. Robert Downey Jr.'s role was exactly what it should have been. I was worried he'd have too much screentime and that he'd steal the show, but that wasn't the case, the movie had exactly the right amount of Tony Stark in it. Michael Keaton does a great job as the villain, Vulture, who is possibly the best villain since Loki (at the very least, he's the best villain since Bucky). His motives are understandable, his relationship with Peter is suspenseful and unexpected, and you can feel sympathetic towards him. I thought the climactic scene on the cargo plane was fantastic, and I really loved Peter's character development throughout the film. Also, the humour was spot on. It was really nice to hear some classic Spider-Man themes in the score, and also the occasional nod to Danny Elfman's score as well. The acting was great, the action scenes were incredible, the villain was actually good, the story was good, including a plot twist I genuinely didn't see coming. The vlog at the beginning was kind of weird, and the way it segues into the actual film is kind of awkward, but I can look past that. Also, the final post-credits scene is easily the best in the entire MCU so far. Seriously, even if you don't usually stay for the credits, you definitely should for this movie.

9.5/10

This is my new favourite "first movie" in the MCU, and one of my favourites overall. Definitely not gonna miss an opportunity to see this again in theatres.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Spider-Man: Homecoming was another typical MCU movie with a forgettable soundtrack and way too many jokes crammed into every scene. The action was also very underwhelming. With a villain like Vulture, you'd think there would be a lot of web-swinging and aerial combat, but nope. Just a lot of web-stuff and dodging. Spider-Man stumbles through every scene and doesn't have the slightest clue how to do anything, whines way too much, and doesn't even sound confident when he quips. The amount of tech in his suit is ridiculous and even creates a stupid lesson that Spider-Man should never really have to go through which is "if you're nothing without the suit, then you shouldn't be wearing it." Did Uncle Ben not exist? Not even a single mention just so Tony can get all the credit for creating Spider-Man. The high school characters are all butchered versions of pre-existing characters in the comics, such as Ned Leeds, The Hob Goblin being Peter's best friend and even knowing his identity... Worst of all, he's played by Disney's very own Pumba. Betty Brant is also a high school kid now so I guess we could forget about the Daily Bugle ever being an important aspect of Peter's life. They must have not had the balls to recast J. Jonah Jameson. Aunt May is also in this movie just so everyone can talk about how hot she is... Just a bunch of horrible decisions put into an otherwise enjoyable and sometimes funny flick. Michael Keaton was great as Vulture and the plot twist was very well done, but that's about all I can really praise. Also, Zendaya's character was so goddamn pointless. She was only there for seconds at a time, looking like she just woke up and stinks, just to make some lame jokes that make no sense. Was her character high all the time or what?

I'd give it a 6.9/10.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Baby Driver- 9/10 It is so rare these days I come back from the cinema without feeling I wasted my money. Baby driver is one that I can say I am glad I did pay to see. A stylish thriller with a great soundtrack, humour and cast.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
PotC Dead men tell no tales 6/10. Very poor. Jack wasn't as funny to watch as in the previous movies. Maybe Johnny Depp wasn't really into it because he seemd very off to me. The tale made no sense. They added the new love couple in it only for the sake of having a love couple copy of Will Turner and Elisabeth Swan. I didn't find Salazar as creepy as he could have been. Davy Jones was far more creepy and interesting compared to Salazar. The ending was mweh and I really expected way more from Barbosa as well. He is actually the only character lately who make the movies more interesting but this time..nothing. And why on earth having Paul mcCartney in it? Only because Keith Richards was in the previous one?

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Fargo 8/10

I saw this on Netflix after finishing season 2 of the TV series. I thought the film had great humour just like the series that is set in the same world.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Dunkirk 7.5/10

It's a good movie but it's more of a suspense than a historical re-enactment. Nolan does his non-linear narrative storytelling thing here which can make it more difficult than usual to keep track of what's going on since there really isn't any narrative mechanic to justify it.

The story largely follows the exploits of a few key characters to survive and escape the beach at Dunkirk while the German army closes in. There's solid action and the dogfights especially are entertaining. It isn't half as brutal as one might have come to expect of a war movie by now. It's light on drama, so the characters are really little more than set pieces for the scenario.

I had hoped to learn more about Dunkirk with this movie but as it stands it is simply a well made suspenseful war flick.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Dunkirk 7.5/10

It's a good movie but it's more of a suspense than a historical re-enactment. Nolan does his non-linear narrative storytelling thing here which can make it more difficult than usual to keep track of what's going on since there really isn't any narrative mechanic to justify it.

The story largely follows the exploits of a few key characters to survive and escape the beach at Dunkirk while the German army closes in. There's solid action and the dogfights especially are entertaining. It isn't half as brutal as one might have come to expect of a war movie by now. It's light on drama, so the characters are really little more than set pieces for the scenario.

I had hoped to learn more about Dunkirk with this movie but as it stands it is simply a well made suspenseful war flick.
To Nolan's credit, from what it sounds all he meant for it to be was a suspense movie at it's core. So based on your review he seems to have accomplished what he set out to accomplish with it.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
To Nolan's credit, from what it sounds all he meant for it to be was a suspense movie at it's core. So based on your review he seems to have accomplished what he set out to accomplish with it.

Except I never really cared much about what happened to the characters because they were all so one-note. Knowing how the battle is going to end kinda kills the suspense. Some of the character's reactions are a bit off-putting.
In the beginning, for instance, one of the principle protags is walking down the streets of town with his fellow soldiers. The Germans open fire from nowhere and predictably all his mates are shot dead and he narrowly escapes. Then immediately cuts to him haven fallen behind British lines and is walking along the beach looking for a place to take a dump like nothing's happened. This guy just watched his mates die and narrowly avoided being killed himself and all he wants to do is find a quiet place to take a dump.

Also, despite the epic scope of the movie, it presents a pretty comprehensive look at the three days over which the evacuation took place with no noticeable time skips or indication that anything's happening anywhere else. In total over the course of the film a little over half a dozen Luftwaffe, RAF, and German and British Navy aircraft and ships are involved, in total. In the historical battle each side lost over a hundred aircraft each which the film never shows us.

The movie is really nothing more than a suspense thriller taking place during a fictionalized portrayal of an historical event. And it's a serviceable thriller at best (and I personally think that's doing it a bit too much courtesy). Cameron's Titanic, I hate to say, did it better.

A good movie that's worth the watch, but it's nothing anyone can't wait to rent or catch on Netflix or something.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Unfriended 8/10

I had heard mixed things about this one but I actually really liked it. I thought it was an interesting and genuinely scary take on the genre. Watching the movie on someone's computer screen was a novel form of presentation which I felt worked well.

Freddy vs Jason - 9/10

Its bloody hilarious. And they finally nailed Jason's look.

d78d0175b9c730b00ecbe685739dd70c9e462828_hq.jpg

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Spiderman Homecoming-8/10

Thank the gods they didn't do the bitten by a spider and uncle ben thing for a third time. This is one of the better spider man films, maybe even the best one. I am not mad about super hero films any more and I rarely get excited for them but after hearing the good reviews of this one I was certainly curious.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
War For the Planet of the Apes

Damn. This movie blew me away. Between the believable story, the amazing special effects, the incredible performances all around (especially Andy Serkis, who is bae af), the music, everything was just on point. This is one of the very few trilogies that I think each movie is better than the last. I was worried that this movie was gonna go the Star Wars, Spider-Man, and X-Men route and have the third movie be the worst of the bunch, but it's actually, dare I say, the best of the trilogy. A fantastic conclusion to the story they've been telling since Rise of the Planet of the Apes (I know there's a possibility for a sequel, but it really feels like a conclusion). Also, Bad Ape reminds me so much of my neighbour it's not even funny.

Overall a fantastic movie. I went in, expecting it to get the typical third part of a trilogy treatment, but no, it was great.

9.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom