• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

I just finally watched a movie that I'd been recommended like 100 times, Upstream Color, and it was pretty great. For some reason I always blew off recommendations of it and skipped over it when I went hunting for movies, and I think that's just because of the incredibly vague description and cover image that it has on Netflix. I thought it was going to be some sappy, romantic melodrama and it really, really isn't. What it is, though, is a movie that has a lot to gain from not knowing anything about it when you first watch it. What I can say is that it's written and directed by Shane Carruth, the guy who made Primer, and it's stylistically very similar though a lot more straightforward in its narrative. If you haven't seen Primer and that reference point doesn't mean anything to you, Carruth's style of storytelling is probably best described as candid. His movies are full of a huge number of very brief shots that only contain snippets of messy, naturalistic, and non-expository dialogue, or people just going about their activities. There are almost no establishing shots, and nothing will ever be directly explained or flatly stated about what's going on. You gotta pay a lot of attention to get all of the details you need to piece everything together, which creates this really rewarding feeling of investment. Upstream Color also contains some really bizarre and gorgeous imagery that gets used in juxtaposition with more confusing scenes to help drive home the idea of what's going on, and keep your emotional state on track with those of the main characters.

Anyway, it's really cool and I'd give it a strong recommendation as well as a light-to-decent 8 out of 10.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Mr Brooks 7/10

That one was certainly interesting.

Standoff 8/10

Thomas Jane, Laurence Fishburne and young actress Ella Ballentine. An engaging suspense/thriller/character drama with outstanding acting all around. It's on Netflix so SEE IT.

Mido

Version 1
I'd like to dedicate this upcoming review to our dear friend @Draymorath. For now, all I can say is this:

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale: 6.75/10

SAO's foray into feature film territory is one of good fun. If you're a fan of the series, you will enjoy this movie. The plot follows the gang's experience of augmented reality via the hippest game of the month: Ordinal Scale (roll credits). All your favorites appear, and in good measure, just as a great anime film does, being an ultimate love letter to its fan base. It is, however, a mixed bag in terms of overall presentation.

+ The characters are presented very well and fill their roles. Kirito and Asuna obviously receive the brunt of the focus, but the others also get appropriate screen time. Silica in particular gets a huge boost in comparison to the main story, and the running gag surrounding her does get a few chuckles. Lisbeth is as snarky as ever, and the other characters fill in nicely.
+ The animation, given it being a movie, was flashy and fast-paced, bringing a real vivacity and fluidity to the imagery. Even the slower moments get that same feel.
+ The climax was a ton of fun. With a high intensity and exciting action, it delivers in spades. You can feel the intensity yourself almost!

+/- The villain is good. Not spectacular, but good. The villain, Eiji, is one of the best Ordinal Scale players who has his eyes on besting Kirito and his friends. His motivations for doing so are actually decently put together, especially when coinciding with his eventually-revealed checkered past with said motivations. Overall, I liked him; however, I had one major problem with him:
It is eventually revealed via Kirito's deduction that the source of Eiji's ability comes from this cyber suit he wears, and once Kirito rips a gem from the suit during their big fight, Eiji's AR prowess becomes shot. Why do this? Not only does this destroy the villain's credibility, but it basically says that Eiji was never strong enough to best Kirito to begin with. How does this make your main character an underdog? The hard work Kirito puts into mastering Ordinal Scale is nearly rendered obsolete by this move, and only reinforces Kirito's "Mary Sue" status. It's a serious flaw. If this was not the case, Kirito's journey to fight Eiji would have felt more meaningful.
+/- One of the largest complaints about Kirito is his status as a Mary Sue; however, he does have to overcome something and a couple of flaws are revealed about him (the main one being particularly funny in this film). I mean, you know he's going to save the day in the end. There's no question, but the aforementioned problem I highlight with the villain nearly undermines this point entirely. He's still enjoyable though as a whole.

- The plot was good for what it was, but I personally found it unnecessarily complicated at times. It wasn't horrible, I just think it could have been simpler with less variables to juggle. I still enjoyed it.
- Yuna is one of the new characters introduced in the film, and perhaps is the most pivotal given she was also very heavily advertised. She's a decent character, but equally confusing.
Yuna is revealed to be working with Eiji, since as the main AI of Ordinal Scale, she sets up the boss fights where players fight old SAO bosses. At the same time, though, she takes the guise of a mysterious ghost figure in the AR world in order to get Kirito's help with stopping the villains (This is not revealed right away, along with the true motives of the main villain). What confused me was where Yuna aligned to begin with? Was she always against the villains' plans? Perhaps little details have escaped my mind, so perhaps I'm missing something here.

Last edited:
Logan: 7/10.

Knock Knock: 8.5/10. On the topic of this movie, most people hate it, dialog is bad at times but perhaps I liked it because I found it to be very sexy and a fantasy of mine lol. Ana hot as heck in that one.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Kong: Skull Island - Lots of fun, great setting, and plenty of interesting and cool moments. That post credit scene was awesome. 7.5/10

Logan - Best comic book film since The Dark Knight. I am so glad Fox kept their grubby hands off of this one like they did Deadpool. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the masterpiece we have now. This is the perfect end to Hugh Jackman's amazing run as Wolverine. Just a shame that we'll never see him wear his iconic costume, fight Hulk, or even interact with Deadpool. But for what it's worth, Logan is a classic. 10/10

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Logan 9/10- One of the best X-men films. Really enjoyed it and am glad they decided to go for a more mature rated movie with this one.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I had a rewatch of all the Pirates of The Carribean movies in preparation for the newest release.

Curse of The Black Pearl- 8/10 This is the one that started it all and introduced us to some iconic characters including one of my personal favourites, Captain Barbossa. Great soundtrack and story.

Dead Mans Chest- 8/10 I don't think this one suffers from sequelitis like a lot of films do but I found this time I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first but it is still good. Not enough Barbossa I guess but it introduced Davy Jones who is also a great villain.

At Worlds End- 8/10 Enjoyed this one probably moreso than the first. Soundtrack is the best in the series. The banter between Jack and Hector was hilarious. It was also great to see Davy Jones who was such an intimidating character then be treated like some lapdog throughout, and then of course exact his revenge later. I have heard some people on the internet say the film was too long but I didn't find there to be a boring moment.

On Stranger Tides- 7/10 On Stranger Tides seems a more lighthearted movie than those previous to it and I felt the story wasn't as good. The stakes weren't high and it seemed more like just another movie made to milk the fans. I still enjoyed it but not quite as much.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them- 8.5/10

Now this is out on DVD I gave it another watch. Still really good, still better than some of the original HP's. Great characters, humour, story and soundtrack. Can't wait for the sequels.

Life - 6.5/10

Trapped in space with an alien trying to kill everyone. This film treads familiar grounds but it is a decent enough movie with characters that are likeable enough for you to not want them to be killed.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Power Rangers 7/10 - Had great fun watching this. It's a silly film and there are better superhero movies out there but this is still something to see.

Ghost in the Shell 0/10 WHITE ACTRESS PLAYING A JAPANESE CHARACTER!? WHAT THE HELL!? SUCH A ****TY MOVIE BECAUSE OF THIS DONT RECCOMEND ONLY SAW JUST TO CONFIRM IT TO BE AS **** AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. PART OF ME HOPED THE TRAILERS AND PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL WERE DECIEVING US AND WHEN WE GOT IN THE CINEMA A JAPANESE ACTRESS WOULD BE IN THE LEAD ROLE BUT NO IT REALLY IS SCARLETT JOHANSSON. WHITEWASHING IS RUINING HOLLYWOOD!...

6/10 Never was going to live up to the animu but it wasn't a bad film. A beautiful film visually but I just think they could have made a more compelling one if Major wasnt asking all the wrong existential questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom