• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Radamanthys: The Monster Slayer

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
First and foremost I dedicate this story to Hero of Time for being a good pal and hanging with me through some good and bad times. And as secondary dedicatory, I dedicate this tale to those whose characters appear in it, and anyone who might find the time to read it. :nod:

Rated PG-13 mostly for some gory parts. Expect to find adventure, action, romance, and gruesome battle scenes.

Updated Map:
Map2_zpsf9ad2bf8.png

Honored ZDers:
Hero of Time, Gobli

MSB_zps00979172.png

Opening

The Dragir lived only to kill. He had been doing it ever since he had lost what he had loved most in this miserable world: his sister.

For Radamanthys there was nothing in the world that could eradicate the profound pain he carried within. The only thing that mitigated it somewhat was the image of his beloved sister when he envisioned her being alive.

Five years ago, when his sister had died at the hands of monsters during a village raid, Radamanthys, who had arrived the village too late to save her and the others, had made a blood pact with Mother Earth. This deal would have him slaying monsters until he met death and returned to dust to the warm embrace of Mother Earth’s arms.

His thirst for vengeance had taken him to too many places, for in the world of Jindaha there were plenty of monsters to be found, and then some. The day that he had buried his sixteen year old sister, Radamanthys had also buried his heart and his feelings along with her. He had no mercy left within him, no love or care for life, not even his own. All there was for him was the thirst to kill, the urge to see blood splutter from the creatures that had taken his sister’s life. Monsters had committed the foul deed, and all monsters were one and the same to the Dragir; he blamed them all.

Often Radamanthys had rushed into frays sorely outnumbered, but he had somehow survived against those creatures, for he was not just some fool looking to placate the anger and sorrow within him. Before he had lost his sister, Radamanthys had already been an elite warrior come from the land of Dragiria. All he had wanted was for his sister to grow up in an ambient surrounded by peace, unlike their motherland, which had been experiencing war and blood and death were so common. The loss of his sister had only made him a greater warrior, stronger, and he continued to improve his skills the more monsters he felled.

His name was surely known all over Jindaha, what with such a furious reputation preceding him. Radamanthys: the Monster Slayer is what everyone who knew him called him, though no one knew why he killed monsters. Everywhere he went, people applauded him and even paid respect to him, but Radamanthys cared little for that.

The Dragir had slain many types of monsters, even some on his own that most of the time groups of warriors were afraid to face on their own, such as dragons, giants, and the feared Shadolir, which were shadow-like creatures that were extremely hard to kill due to how well they hid in the shadows afforded by the night.

The Dragir was too often hired to kill huge beasts and monsters, or to clean the surroundings of villages and towns from monster threats. At times he did not even charge a toll to his contractors, the Dragir had enough payment with watching the monsters he slayed die right before his eyes.

Unbeknownst to the Dragir, with his actions he had infuriated high powers. But even if Radamanthys had known that the gods had become angry at his actions, he wouldn't have given a damn, for he somewhat had blamed them too for the loss of his sister.

The day came in which the Dragir’s monster slaying skills would be put to the true test...

Sacred Heart, Pancracia, 12th of August, Running Year 1557​

The day was pleasant. The sun was out, but its full warmth couldn't be felt thanks to the many grayish clouds that covered it as well as the sky that afternoon.

Just minutes ago, a rider had come to the place where the Dragir warrior Radamanthys resided, Sacred Heart. The Dragir, after hearing the hoofs beating the ground, had been fast to come out from the large two-story shrine. Upon seeing that it was only a young human warrior mounted on a dark horse, the Dragir had relaxed and had come out. He had come down some steps and had reclined his back against a supporting pillar that rose near the shrine's main entrance. Shrine, yes, the Dragir had already accumulated enough wealth to buy whatever he wanted. Radamanthys had chosen to build a great shrine over the place where his sister had tragically died five years ago, this as memory and tribute to her and the others that had died that tragic night. Close by to his shrine there was a beautiful-looking cemetery with lots of trees around it and some fountains and statues--all this surrounded by a five-foot wall of white stone. That was where his sister and other dead folks rested.

“They say you slay monsters for a living,” said the tall, black haired human warrior as he remained mounted on a black, armored horse. He had already seen the cemetery as he had been passing by toward the shrine and had agreed with himself that it was a beautiful sight. And not only that, but the entire forested area that surrounded the shrine.

“I don’t,” the Dragir replied in that cold, serious, broken Pancracian accent that he had become accustomed to using. “I slay them for pure pleasure.”

Once, Radamanthys’s tone had been nice, too kind in fact, but no longer. Now his voice at times made people shiver, for it indeed sounded rough. And then that emotionless, callous stare that usually accompanied it...

“Yes, I was told that, but I couldn’t believe it back then,” the warrior chuckled a bit. “I thought it was just rumors from the old folks, you know?”

Radamanthys just kept staring at the young warrior as he remained with his muscular arms crossed over his chest and his back reclined against the pillar. Radamanthys had dark brown hair with dyed snow colored bangs at the front and a rat-tail at the back. He had a pair of dark horns on his head and few scales adorned his body, mostly his forearms. He was dressed in an elegant black-colored sleeveless robe of sorts, but underneath he wore light-weight armor over a dark shirt, black pants, and dark boots. Several weapons hung at his hips, including a beautiful sword within a silvery scabbard, some daggers, satchels, and even a double-barreled pistol that had a diamond stone for a handle.

The warrior, whose name was Damera Tomahawk, stopped chuckling and cleared his throat before the bad stare that the horned being was giving him. He somehow became aware that this place was special to him, sacred even.

“They say you take any job offered to you,” Damera spoke again, this time in all seriousness. “Is that true, Dragir?”

Radamanthys just kept on staring. “And if that’s the case, Human? You got something good for me to kill? Because if you don’t, then you’d do well not to waste my time, fool.”

An unoffended Damera chose to dismount then. Leading his horse on, he walked closer to the Dragir, whom he had really wanted to meet ever since he had heard of his exploits three years ago. Just having laid eyes on him at a distance on his horse had given him the shivers, and now that he approached him, Damera found out that he barely could manage it. He saw right away after he got a good look at his rough semblance that death was written all over it: this Dragir knew nothing but death, as he’d been told by many of his friends before making the trip there.

Damera was a young lad at eighteen years of age. He had light skin, a handsome face with dark eyes that had so many times stolen sighs from the women, and a short crop of dark hair neatly combed. He wore regal, silver armor over a black, sleeveless shirt, black pants, and dark, leather boots that displayed some dust, perhaps after the long ride he’d had. At his back fell a red cape that was clipped to the front of his armor. He carried a green-hilted sword at his left side hip within a bronze scabbard and some daggers and a satchel on the right side hip. The sword had belonged to his now deceased father. The blade was one of two that he'd owned back then, but he had left one behind for him to use. Precisely because of his father it was that the young man was here now.

“My name is Damera Tomahawk,” he introduced himself, the lad offering a nice smile and wink. “I’ve come all the way from Vanezia in New Kembria.”

“I’m Rad—”

“Radamanthys, yes,” Damera interrupted him with a wide, jubilant smile. “Radamanthys, the Monster Slayer! Your name is spreading everywhere and fast becoming legend. The kids want to be like you. The adults, particularly the old folks, cherish you so much that they have even built small temples to venerate and pray for you. I heard so much about you...that is why I am here.”

The Dragir merely nodded at him once, and that’s all he would be getting from the Dragir, Damera knew.

“I think I have something that might interest you,” Damera said then, looking right into the Dragir’s dark eyes. Radamanthys’s stare went to the horse for a while, and then his orbs went back to the warrior.

“My ears are listening to you, Damera Tomahawk. This better be good.”

“Look, I don’t know where to begin, really,” Damera began, his voice a little tensed up still. “But just like you, I’ve killed my share of monsters in the past. I'm a monster slayer myself, see?”

The lad actually made sure that he was standing tall and proud before the Dragir, who said nothing at the proclamation.

“Orcs, Goblins, Lycans, Mandragoras, a few Vamps, and many others I’m not going to mention to you, have tasted the steel of my blade. I think it’s time for me to step it up a notch, though, and that’s why I am here.”

“You want to kill bigger monsters?” Radamanthys reasoned with a crooked smile, believing that Damera was here to try his luck against mightier foes than the ones he had mentioned. “I mostly hunt alone, kid, but I could take you to the central mountains so you can test yourself against mightier foes...”

“Naw, naw,” Damera rose his hand up. “That’s small business for me and my friends, man. I’m all done training.”

“Your friends?” Radamanthys did not know what the young warrior was about. “What friends?” He even looked about, wondering if they were out there.

“Relax,” Damera perceived his concern. “They are warriors like me who kill monsters for a living, but they are waiting for me back in my homeland. I came out here all alone.”

“I see,” Radamanthys said. “You were saying, then.”

“I was,” Damera nodded at him. He cleared his throat, put a serious face on, and hoped that the Dragir did not beat him to death then and there after what he was about to reveal.

“Well?” Radamanthys urged. The Dragir even raised his eyebrows a bit.

Damera spoke seriously and with a hint of anger and sorrow in his tone. “I want you to come with us so you can help us slay...Me-Medusa.”

Ah yes, every monster hunter’s dream: to slay Medusa. She was said to be the monster of monsters, the ultimate test for any brave warrior, and yet her existence was not even proven to be genuine yet. There were only myths and ancient stories about her all over Jindaha, and it was believed that all those warriors that had gone to The Bog in an attempt to find this monster and kill it had never returned or had been heard from again. Where all the rumors and stories about this monster had originated no one knew, but Dragiria, Radamanthys’s homeland, was the closest one to The Bog, the realm that supposedly belonged to this creature. Many tales about Medusa abounded there, and perhaps a lot of evidence that led many Dragir to believe that the monster existed, too. The Dragir who believed in those tales knew her as the Serpent Lady, but unlike the humans and other races that believed Medusa was a mere monster, the Dragir had her as a deity, a very powerful one.

Radamanthys’s expression had not changed a bit at Damera’s words, but he had perceived the human’s anger and a bit of sorrow when he had spoken them.

“Stop wasting my time with sh...stuff like this,” Radamanthys cried in a foul voice, his face hardening before the sad young man. He'd cussed him out, but the fact that this place was indeed sacred to him, he did not do it. “I ought to rip your damn arms off and beat your butt with them, boy. Go back to the crap-filled hole you call home. Medusa does not exist!”

“She’s real,” Damera shouted, so hurt. His face contorted in anger, his eyes watery, and he added, “She killed my father! And not just him, but several other of my relatives that went with him!”

“How do you know this?” Radamanthys shot, his tone irritated. “Were you there? Were you witness as to how the Serpent Lady flashed her eyes with her deadly power and turned your old man and your other relatives to stone?”

“Shut up, you!” Damera was really hurt, mostly because with the Dragir's words he envisioned his father and kin suffering that grim fate.

“Those are just tales, boy,” Radamanthys was pissed. “You’d do well to just forget about them before you are led to do something stupid...like your father.”

Damera licked his lips sourly at that and brought his hands up and wiped the tears from his eyes. He really wanted to rush the Dragir and beat him up, or at least attempt to do it in the name of his father's memory. But he did not do it because he knew he wouldn't even get the chance against someone as fearless as Radamanthys who had slain dragons and giants on his own, and probably the Dragir would even kill him for trying. The lad swallowed hard, but he calmed himself down.

“My father went there looking for her and never returned,” Damera went on, sadly now more than angry, his stare on the ground. “That is all I know and that is all the proof I will ever need. That f****** monster killed him and my kin, and I will avenge them all.”

“Your father and your other relatives were probably brave warriors by having ventured there,” Radamanthys speculated. “It takes guts and courage to do something like that, but like the many that have gone to that place in search of something that they know nothing about, they died to whatever resides in that place.”

“You said you’d take any job,” Damera accused, more tears falling anew. “You’re just a damned liar and phony.”

Stung at that remark, Radamanthys left his position and came walking menacingly towards him—fast. Damera retreated a few steps, but the Dragir only kept going, and Damera stopped when he bumped against the rump of his own horse. Too scared had he become that he never thought about going for his sword to put up a defense should he be attacked.

The New Kembrian warrior stood six feet tall, two inches taller than the Dragir’s height. But as Radamanthys stood face to face with him, it appeared that he was the taller of the two, especially with those horns of his. The Dragir reached with his right hand and grabbed him by the exposed collar of his shirt and pinned him hard against the horse. Damera grunted but did nothing else, except stare at the Dragir pleadingly, for he thought he was going to kill him.

“Yes, any job with real monsters to be slain,” the Dragir reminded him with his tough voice. “Medusa’s a waste of my time, always has been.”

Damera could not say a word, and he swallowed hard, what with the tough-looking Dragir right in front of him. The Dragir let go of him, figuring he wouldn't kill this lad merely for claiming false statements about him. What did he know about what he did and why he did it? No one did, except for him and Mother Earth.

“What?” Radamanthys continued under the accusing glare that the young man was giving him. “Don't look at me like that, fool. You think that throughout my monster slaying frenzy I haven’t considered Medusa? I have, and you don’t know how juicy the offers I’ve gotten—and discarded—have been. But I am smart enough to believe that she does not exist, and yet going to that place where she supposedly resides means sure death. I don’t consider myself special enough to be spared that grim fate that so many others have run. Armies have gone there in the past, boy, sent by Kings and Queens merely to have in their hands the head of that monster and claim that it was their realm that brought a legend down. Well equipped warriors, all dead or disappeared with no one left alive to tell what really happened. And back here there are only families mourning the loss of their loved ones. You are no exception.”

Perhaps it had been a mistake coming here, Damera thought. He watched as the Dragir walked back toward his spot, surely riled up.

“Go back home and forget about avenging your father,” Radamanthys began, though he suddenly felt as if he had slapped himself in the face. The Dragir bit his lower lip and lowered his gaze to the ground when he suddenly realized that Damera was only after vengeance, just as he’d been these past five years with his hollowed vengeance that would never be fulfilled.

Hurt at the reminder of his little sister’s death, Radamanthys brought a hand up to touch the bridge of his nose. “Leave me alone now,” he urged with a serious voice. “Go! I don’t care where, but just leave this place.”

Damera hesitated for a few seconds, but then he mounted his horse, surely stunned at the sudden change of attitude from the Dragir. It appeared that he had suddenly gone from being angry to being sad, and now he needed to be alone.

"Why do you kill monsters?" Damera spoke from atop his mount. "How did you become so efficient at it? And why do you live here so close to a cemetery? Have you lost a loved one as well and that's why you do it?"

"Leave!" Radamanthys shouted without looking at him. "You know nothing of me."

The young warrior said not another word, but he turned his horse around and decided that it would be best if he went back to his homeland. Before setting out on the trip to the Dragir's shrine, he'd had great hopes within that Radamanthys would be taking his offer. He had been rejected, turned down. The trip had been for nothing.

"Some monster slayer you are," he breathed lowly, but loud enough for the Dragir to hear. "You became an idol to me three years ago. I wanted to become like you, and I sort of did, but now I know that I was wrong to believe in you, to set my faith in you."

Damera then galloped away on his horse, but after having traveled just some twenty yards, a shout came from behind, which forced Damera to stop and turn around.

“Wait!” the shout from the Dragir came again. “Come back here, Human. I'm not done talking to you yet...”

On top of his horse, Damera raised his eyebrows surely in surprise at the sudden turn of events. He nodded slightly and then spurred the horse onward, unafraid, the lad wanting to find out what the Dragir warrior wanted with him.

*End of Opening*

Last edited by a moderator:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I love it. Also, are you planning on making a long opening again?

Thank you for following along, Violet. And nope, that was it, Violet. That was the intro. :P Haha I just forgot to include the: *End of Opening* But I edited that. The next update will surely be chapter one even though it will still feature those two characters. If I have time today (got an interview at 11:00 AM) I will probably work on the next update. ;)

Edit--

Alright, here's the first chapter. Soon other characters will begin making an appearance; you all know how stories go: can't introduce everyone at once. :P

Chapter One: The Lesson

“What is it?” Damera asked from atop his horse. “Changed your mind, have you?”

“Hardly,” Radamanthys replied. “Although what you told me before you took off got me thinking.”

“Yeah?” Damera raised his eyebrows. “About what?”

Radamanthys was late in replying, for he had turned his head aside and had taken a deep sigh at the same time that he ran his hands over his face, as if to clear uncertainty and worry.

“How old are you?” The Dragir came back at the warrior.

“I’m eighteen,” Damera replied. Then, figuring that perhaps a long talk was going to ensue, he dismounted slowly from his horse and then went to stand close to the Monster Slayer, the lad crossing his arms over his plated chest as he got there.

“Too young to go die out there,” spat Radamanthys, and he literally spat aside. Damera’s face began to harden in disappointment and perhaps some anger, but the Dragir went on, “Still, I won’t keep you from carrying on with your intentions if that’s what you want to go do. It’ll be a shame, really, if you go out there and get yourself killed. I could help you if you just give me the time I need...”

Damera was a little shocked to hear that. Quite frankly he had been expecting the Dragir to try to convince him to go back home and drop this silliness, like he had told him earlier.

“Now you want to help me?” Damera spat back at him, wanting to get back at him. “After you rejected my offer and told me off? What’s wrong with you, Horned One?”

“Hey,” Radamanthys pointed a finger right at his face. “That was before you got me into thinking, remember? Now don’t get your hopes high just yet. You did change my way of thinking, and like I just told you, I do want to help you after all.”

“What? Really?” Damera’s face lit up with hope.

“Indeed. But you have to give me some time.”

“Well how much time do you need, my friend? A day, two, perhaps, to get ready?”

“I am not your friend...yet,” Radamanthys’s face appeared mean before Damera, but he did not care, the lad was so happy about the possibility that the Dragir was going to go with him and his friends to The Bog that he did not care about how cruel or mean the Dragir appeared.

“Perhaps we will never be,” the Dragir went on to say. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t help you. I will, but I need time to feel ready, to feel comfortable, and to feel as if there is nothing else left for me to prove.”

Damera was listening on and nodding as the Dragir kept going.

“I’m a great warrior,” Radamanthys said, though there was no boast in his tone. “But even I consider myself not ready to go out and do what you have in mind. There are too many monsters out there that still need to be killed so that this land and the folks who just want to live in peace can feel safe. And besides that, I need to reach a certain standard before I consider myself fully ready. Give me the time I need to do all that and you will have my help at no charge. This I promise under what I hold most dear to me...”

The young warrior remained very quiet and merely thinking about the Dragir’s offer to him. He did not know how much time this could take, but he knew that having the Dragir’s help would surely be worth any time spent waiting for him to feel ready.

“Honestly, I can wait for you to do all that,” Damera was not in such a rush. “You have a deal, fellow Slayer.” He wanted to go out there and attempt to avenge his father and his fallen kin, but the Dragir’s words convinced him to be a little patient. One day the time would come in which they would set out to The Bog.

“There’s something else,” the Dragir assured him with a nasty look.

Damera recoiled when Radamanthys brought out his sword, which was a beautiful blade to Damera’s eyes. He was quick to grab the hilt of his own sword but did not bring it out.

“What the...” Damera breathed, surely in fear.

“Relax,” Radamanthys told him. “I just want to know how much skill you possess as a monster slayer.”

“Is this really necessary?” Damera swallowed hard, the lad not really feeling good to be tested.

“You want to slay a monster that is believed to be the ultimate test,” Radamanthys said. “Like I told you, I don’t even feel ready for that, and so I believe you aren’t ready for it, either. Prove me wrong...”

Out came Damera’s sword and the Dragir’s nasty look on the young man only intensified.

“This blade can kill you,” Damera reminded him. “It’s not a toy. Are you sure you want to do this?”

“My blade can kill you in many ways you don’t know,” Radamanthys grinned at him. “You want to go after Medusa? Then you will have to make a believer out of me. Don’t go easy on me, because I will certainly not go easy on you, fool. I won’t kill you, but I will surely as hell beat the crap out of you if I have to, this so you learn today’s lesson well.”

“Today’s lesson?” Damera wanted to chuckle, but he did not, because with the intensity that the Dragir was staring at him he knew he was way more than being serious.

“I’m going to prove to you that you’d only gotten yourself killed out there,” Radamanthys told him. “I may not be this so called Medusa, but I surely as hell will prove to be the challenge of your life. Now come at me, human boy, and prove to me that you’re ready to kill Medusa.”

Thinking he could defeat this fellow Slayer, Damera nodded as he stared at the ground. But all of a sudden he rushed the Dragir, sword leading as he yelled: “Let’s dance!”

One move. That is all it took the Dragir to have the young man down and out. As Damera had been leading in with his sword, Radamanthys had spun around in his standing place and had tripped Damera down to the ground with his right leg. The lad fell to the ground face first, but he did not drop his sword. He tried turning around in his fallen position so he could quickly put up a defense, but the tip of the Dragir’s sword was already nicking his exposed neck when he performed that action.

"Ah," Damera cried as he felt the sting at his neck.

Grinning at the embarrassed young man with that awful stare of his, Radamanthys ridiculed, “And you want to go kill Medusa?”

*End of C1*

Edit--

Maggie, thanks for reading. I posted without you knowing you had posted. Anyway, yeah, it's gonna be a great tale and a great ride for us all. I hope you continue reading this tale because it's gonna get good. :) Mandragoras are demons, yes, and here they are also known as Flower Demons. I'd explain more, but you will read about them in the story. ^^

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Obviously, I am the only one who wants "more", not "mmmnermoooore" or "moaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr"

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Thank you for following along, guys/gals. I truly appreciate the time that you all take to read the story. :) Sorry for the long delays, work is keeping me busy. But I am still continuing this tale, so not to worry. ;)

Chapter 2: On the Way to Slay

The Dragir offered his hand to the fallen young man and he took it. Radamanthys helped him up.

“I knew you’d prove to be a difficult foe,” Damera excused himself with a smile. “But damn, one move?”

“Don’t forget I’ve killed as many monsters than what probably is the current population in the world,” Radamanthys reminded him as he put his sword back in its holster.

Damera whistled. "That many?"

"That many..." Radamanthys nodded, keeping what had driven him to kill that many monsters a secret. "Perhaps more."

Damera was not going to discuss that, nor did he doubt it, for the Dragir surely had done what he claimed; too many voices spoke of his feats. Slowly, after cleaning his father’s beautiful sword from the dust it had garnered, Damera put it back in its holster, the lad hoping that the Dragir did not put him to the test like that again. He had just embarrassed himself against his superiority, and Damera surely did not want that to happen again—ever.

“So I’ve failed?” he looked innocently at the Dragir.

“I should send you home with a kick on your butt, but I will spare you my wrath since you wouldn’t have been able to defeat me even if you knew all that there is to know about fighting.”

Damera raised his eyebrows curiously at that.

“Believe me when I say I am beyond you, Damera.”

“Alright,” Damera said as he wiped the dust off his back and pants. “I believe you. But you will still help me, right?”

“Only when I see that we’re both ready to go face what lies in that horrible place,” Radamanthys facted. “You and I have a lot of work to do, kid.”

“Wait what?” Damera cried, surely confused. “I see where you’re going with your words, and I don’t have a problem working with you, but listen up. I wasn’t planning on going to The Bog with just you as my partner. I have four more friends that will go with us. They await my return back in Vanezia.”

“Really?” Radamanthys crossed his muscular arms. “Tell me...would these friends of yours be as poor-skilled as you?”

Damera blinked curiously before the angry-looking Dragir. He had not just said that! The young man wanted to rush him for stomping his dignity like that, but he knew what to expect if he literally went after him, so he cooled off.

“You just admitted to me that I wouldn’t have beaten you no matter how good I was,” Damera protested, and the Dragir actually lowered his gaze to the ground and suppressed a chuckle.

“That’s true,” Radamanthys admitted with a wry grin.

“Look,” Damera went on to say. “We’re good fighters—all of us, you just haven’t seen us in action yet. I’m better than all of them, really, but they can fight great too. We grew together in a piss-poor village and learned from my father...”

Damera had suddenly become saddened at the fact that his father was gone, but he had already dealt with the grief for the most part, so he moved on when he noticed the Dragir staring curiously at him. “He taught us all how to fight, how to defend ourselves and our village from constant threats. We’ll be good out there; you just have to see my crew and myself in action for yourself.”

“Well your friends are not here,” Radamanthys said after clearing his throat and staring back at the temple briefly. “That means I will probably see your monster slaying skills first. I only want to be assured that you can actually kill—and without hesitation or remorse.”

“I-I...” Damera stuttered, and he even scratched the back of his right ear. “I assure you that I can, man. Too bad there are no monsters around here,” he looked around as he said this and even brought out his sword once again and started cutting the air. “Else I would show you right now how it is that this Southerner rolls.”

“Don’t worry,” Radamanthys assured wickedly, making the joyous warrior put the sword back right away. “We will go find some in a minute.”

“W-What?” Damera stammered. “You serious, Rad?”

Radamanthys stared at him with that spiteful look of his. “My name is Radamanthys, not Rad.”

“Come on,” Damera smiled, trying to convince him that it wasn’t that big a deal. “Rad for short; it sounds awesome if you ask me. Hell I’d kill to have a short nickname like that.”

Again, the Dragir gave him that killer look of his, but though Damera swore that look could scare away just about anyone, he did not frighten.

“I thought you were serious about wanting to go slay this so called Medusa...” Radamanthys walked away. “I see that I was wrong. Leave me alone, go away.”

“Whoa, hey fellow, cheer up a little,” Damera said in his most normal voice as he followed after him. “I’m sorry if I made you angry, Radamanthys. I was merely...being myself.”

Radamanthys kept walking on, and Damera right behind him.

“I can surely act maturely if you need me to,” Damera added as he neared the Dragir on his right side. “It’s just that at times I am like this. I try not to take life too seriously, you know?”

“You should,” the Dragir said without looking at him. “Life is not a game.”

“Alright, I agree with you on that,” Damera said and stopped walking, hoping that the Dragir stopped as well. The horned being did stop after a few paces, and he looked at Damera over his shoulder.

“Well are you coming or not?”

“Where to?” Damera was surprised.

“To show me that you, indeed, can kill monsters.”

“I’m definitely coming,” Damera cried. “But what about my horse?”

“This area is safe,” the Dragir said as he started walking to the east toward a visible forest in the distance. “Just leave him be. We’ll be gone for a few hours, but the animal will still be around when we come back.”

“You swear that?” Damera sounded concerned.

“On my life,” replied the Dragir. "There hasn't been a monster in this area since I cleaned it back in the day."

Damera chose to believe in the words of the Dragir, so after a quick look at his horse, he went after him.

“Alright, so if you want me to slay monsters, if this is what you want as proof that I can fight, then I will do it just for your viewing pleasure.”

“Do you think you can take on a Chimera all by yourself, then?”

Damera blanched as he walked right beside Radamanthys. “A...Chimera? I have never killed one. But my father told me what to do in case I ever met one.”

“You’re inexperienced, then, against that type of beast. Let us try something else. So what is the most powerful foe you have faced so far?”

“I’d say a Mandragora,” Damera boasted. “All by myself, too.”

“Then a Mandragora it is,” Radamanthys cried and hurried his walk toward the forest. “There will be plenty of them here, so you better be ready to slay a few. If you do, then I will convince myself that you can actually fight. Mandragoras are tough foes for humans.”

“I agree with your words,” Damera was all nods, for the Dragir had spoken truthfully once again: a Mandragora was definitely a lot of trouble for a lone human to dispatch. But it could be done, what with the magical weapons that had made their way to the human lands from the realm of Dragiria long ago.

“I’ll have your back in case you need help,” Radamanthys assured as he quickened the pace. “Or if we happen upon more than one.”

“That’s...reassuring,” Damera hurried his step too, catching up to the Dragir. Radamanthys did not mind when the human crept slowly right beside him, his left arm nearly touching his right one. The Dragir knew that perhaps the young human felt nervous and scared, but he just kept walking on without saying a word.

*End of C2*

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Thanx for the support, fellow ZDers. :cool: <3

Chapter 3: The Son of Deigon Tomahawk

Radamanthys and Damera stood staring at the creepy forest before them. Yes, creepy. At a distance it had appeared to Damera that the forest was just as any other regular forest, but as they had neared it, the view had drastically changed.

“What the hell?” Damera breathed easy, wanting to not sound scared. “There was no mist when we left your place of residence, Rad...”

The famous Monster Slayer gave Damera a nasty look and forced him to finish pronouncing the name. “amanthys...”

“This forest is unusual,” Radamanthys said lowly as he scanned the forest ahead with his dark eyes. “At a distance it seems normal, but there has always been something creepy here that I haven’t been able to decipher, something that turns this place into something else when one nears it.”

Damera ran a hand over his mouth, wondering what the Dragir was talking about. “Like bewitched, man?”

“More like cursed,” Radamanthys brought out his sword and pistol. "There's powerful magic at work here, but I have never been able to defeat it."

"You know magic?" Damera was stunned.

“I might," Radamanthys replied. "But let that not unfocus you. We came here to kill monsters, so are you ready to hunt some trash?”

“Trash?” Damera looked at the Dragir with an innocent stare. “I thought we were coming after a Mandragora. I'd hardly call them that, they are worthy opponents...”

“Bah, all monsters are trash to me,” Radamanthys merely growled as he stepped forward. “Why do you think I hunt and kill them by the numbers?”

“Hey, hey, wait a minute,” Damera stopped him as he took him by the shoulder. “What’s the big hurry?”

“What? Are you scared all of a sudden because of the...sudden change, human?” Radamanthys gave him a cold stare.

“I just would like for you and me to discuss a plan of action before we go in there looking for trouble, that's all.”

“What joke is this?” Radamanthys could not believe the human’s words. “I don’t need a plan of action; I never have. I simply go in there and do my thing. Now are you coming along or not?”

Before Damera could reply to that, Radamanthys took off sprinting.

“Oh boy,” Damera followed after him, blade in hand as he ran. “This surely looks like suicide.”

For a while the two went walking side by side as they revised the forested area with their eyes. The mist hung in the air thickly, embracing the pine trees and leaving little visibility.

“We better stick close by each other,” Damera said with a gulp.

“Well you better be able to catch up,” Radamanthys sounded annoyed.

The two monster hunters went deep into the woods, at times taking another direction since trees cut off their advancement. The deeper they went, the thicker the mist became and the more their surroundings vanished before their very eyes.

“This mist is thick, man,” confessed Damera, feeling a little tense. He had never expected the forest to turn out to be like this. “I had never seen something like this in a forest before,” Damera added. “And I have been to many...”

No response came at him, and when the young man turned to the side where Radamanthys should be walking on, he was gone.

“Radamanthys?” Damera lowly called and glanced about.

Everything was quiet all around him. There were no animal calls, no wind, no sound, except the ones caused by the young man, such as his light breathing and the crunching of the barren ground thanks to the sole of his boots as he moved on in all caution.

“Radamanthys...where are you?”

No reply came. The mist only got thicker as Damera advanced slowly. After a few nerve racking minutes, Damera could barely see the top of the pines and trees, the rest was all white mist, and he could only see about five feet ahead and around him.

“If this is a joke from your part to break me, I am not happy, man...”

No reply, and Damera kept his sword ever at the ready as he advanced on, sometimes he spun in a circle just to make sure no one was behind him or to the sides.

“Radamanthys! Come on, man...”

No reply. That unnerved Damera, but also got him a little riled up. “Alright, I’ve had it. I’m going back.”

When there was no response or sign that the Dragir was even near him, Damera did turn around wanting to leave. But then he realized that he’d come too deep and had gone in several directions to even come up with a way back. If he went back, he would surely be lost.

“Wait,” Damera realized. “I am lost.”

Now, under the current circumstances, any other brave warrior would have gotten frightened and would have lost his or her cool. But not Damera. Though he was a little on edge, he knew he had to keep his senses working fully well. He was the son of Deigon Tomahawk, and his father had taught him to never lose hope and to never be defeated by fear.

I am not retreating, Damera swallowed hard. I’m staying here and will show that Dragir that I can hold my own. I will find a damn flower demon, kill it, and gain his respect. Or I shall die trying.

Then a hair-rising scream that he knew too well disrupted his thoughts and gave him the startle of his life. He had only heard that kind of sound once before when he had confronted and taken down his first ever Mandragora. That scream appeared to echo all over the zone, but Damera was positive that it had not been an echo; more than one Mandragora was close, and perhaps behind the veil of mist they were starting to surround him.

*End of C3*

The screams Damera heard (3rd one down. Even I would have pissed my pants :P): Search Audio Sounds

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
This story just keeps hooking me with every chapter I write. Thanks for following along. Here's the next chapter. :)

Chapter 4: Sealing the Deal​

The forest was their domain. It had become theirs to rule ever since the Mandragoras had come to the earthly realm after an ancient battle between demons, humans, and celestial beings. The hundred or so Mandragoras that inhabited this forest was only a small portion compared to the numbers living in other places of the world, especially in the lower planes, their place of origin. There had been thousands of them here at one point in time, but Radamanthys and other adventurers who’d come to hunt the plant demons had slowly been eradicating them. Radamanthys driven to kill on sheer vengeance and hate for monsters, and the other adventurers doing it mostly for a hefty pay, for Mandragora blood was well paid for, as well as the venomous spit that they spat. Still, despite many of these monsters already being dead, there remained many.

Radamanthys had been coming here to Galorn Forest sporadically and had been wanting to cleanse the entire forest of monsters due to the fact that it was so close to his built shrine and did not want to deal with them there, which was a sacred place to him, his dead sister, and those that rested in peace there. Not only Mandragoras resided here, but also several goblin and orc tribes. Mandragoras ruled the forest, though, and because they were carnivorous beings, they were on top of the food chain and ate the orcs, goblins, and the animals that resided in the forest.

Radamanthys watched from atop a tree as four plant demons began to surround the intruder. The mist all around the area was thick, truly leaving nothing to be seen to the normal naked eye, but Radamanthys never went out unprepared. When he had left the human’s side after having picked up the earthly scent of the Mandragoras, Radamanthys had put on a pair of magical glasses that allowed him to see through the mist as if it wasn’t even there and had run away to the north side. He had run atop a tree easily, using his hands and feet to get up there in less than six seconds. As he stood watching on one of the tree’s fat branches some twenty feet above, the four Mandragoras below were well visible to him. They were just about fifteen feet from the human warrior, who kept alert and staring all around him. He could not see them, neither could the Mandragoras, but they could easily smell human flesh, thus they had been quick to come his way.

“Only four,” Radamanthys said in a murmur as he eyed the demons advancing slowly on Damera below. "This should be fun." The Mandragoras were still screaming their lungs out, for they knew that their screams frightened and sort of paralyzed intruders. Besides that, Mandragoras could use their venomous spit on enemies. The spit would eat away flesh and bone in a matter of seconds--it was like acid. Mandragoras, for the most part, had the look of a normal woman, but their hands and feet were pointy branches, as was their hair. Few leaves and flowers also adorned part of their body and those branches that they had for hands and feet. Though most wore ragged white or dark robes, some Mandragoras preferred to only wear what flowers and leaves sprouted from their bodies. Most Mandragoras were females, there were only a few males back in their hiding place. These were kept as sexual slaves and simply to reproduce, the females were the dominant gender.

“Let’s even up the odds,” Radamanthys said before he jumped down from the branch to the ground below, his sword and pistol ready to go to action.

The young man was surely a little scared as those screams kept on getting closer. He breathed hard as he pivoted around. He kept his sword and a dagger at the ready but his hands were already sweaty, and drops of sweat also fell from his forehead.

Thinking that the monsters were very close to him, Damera slashed the air all around him, hoping to hit something.

“Hah!” Damera cried as he slashed the air.

There suddenly came a cackle, and then more from the other three directions, which surely sent more shivers up Damera’s spine.

“Totally missed us,” laughed a Mandragora, then another one said right away: “You shouldn’t have come here, Human.”

Suddenly, Damera sent a dagger flying into the mist, and his aim was true, despite him having no target visible to hit. He killed a Mandragora! The dagger had hit her squarely in the chest. That she-demon fell to the ground, quite dead.

“Aena, no!” shouted one of the Mandragoras in disgust and rage, for the human warrior had just killed her sister. After hearing the cry, Damera believed he had downed one of the demons, and he smiled lightly if that had been the case, his hand bringing out another dagger.

“Lets kill him and get it over with, Marilla,” there came a proposal from within the mist.

“No, you two stay put,” roared Marilla, the Mandragora who had lost her sister. “This foolish hominine is mine! I’ll make him wish he never was born.”

“Come on, you hag,” Damera invited, his tension rising, but also his courage.

The hurt demon rushed Damera, appearing right in front of him not five feet away, the mist dispersing as she came on making her appearance a little more shocking. She grinned evilly at the human when she noticed he had seen her.

“F***!” Damera took several steps back after he had been startled by the tall creature’s sudden appearance, and he slipped on a fallen large twig. Damera lost his balance and fell hard, losing his dagger on purpose to use that hand to soften the fall. He never let go of his sword, though, and always kept his eyes on the monster as he laid on his back.

“Haha,” laughed the other two Mandragoras after having witnessed the man falling down. The Mandragora kept going towards Damera, surely with her wicked smile on her face. Before Marilla could reach the human, though, who had been already struggling to get back on his feet, there suddenly came two loud blasts and two grunts behind her. Both Damera and the demon were startled at the sounds, and the Mandragora turned her head over her shoulder, wondering what the hell had happened. A quick thought crossed Damera’s mind.

Radamanthys! Damera smiled, his hope returning fast.

Indeed, the Monster slayer had fired his magical pistol at the demons, taking them out easily with a pair of thunder bolt shots. He was now gone, not that he could be seen behind the misty veil. The Dragir found a tree and quickly relaxed against it, his stare always on Damera and the Mandragora.

“Gibrenta, Valudi!” Marilla cried. No response came, and Damera was already up.

“Show me what you can do, kid,” the Dragir’s voice was heard somewhere close by. “Kill her.”

The Mandragora screamed in rage, knowing that the human warrior had not come alone. How stupid had she and the other Mandragoras been to have thought the young warrior had come alone. She felt cheated, thus her rage.

As to Damera, he figured that Radamanthys had killed the other Mandragoras to even the odds and would now watch his battle against the last Mandragora. Radamanthys had brought him out here to be tested, and so the young man thought that the Dragir had somehow planned this all along.

Damera concentrated on the foe he had in front of him, so did the Mandragora, who was truly enraged at all that had happened.

“I’m going to kill you,” the Mandragora cried and extended her arm forward, using those pointy branch-like fingers to point at Damera. She planned to kill the warrior to appease her frustration and the death of her sister and friends. Damera just kept his eyes on her knowing that he could not become unfocused.

Wanting to end this quick, the Mandragora suddenly ran towards the warrior and shot a wad of venomous spit at him, but Damera rolled off to the side, getting back on his feet right away. The Mandragora turned to face him and again shot him a wad of spit, the demoness wanting to kill him and then attempt to find the other foe, which she had no clue where he was at. He was watching them, that is all she knew.

Damera circled the Mandragora, and this one kept following him and spitting at him but missing badly--not that badly, as the Dragir had to move aside when one of those spits came flying his way. The spit hit the tree’s trunk and a hissing sound came from it, for it had eaten part of the wood; that strong was the spit.

In truth, the Mandragora could have run away in an attempt to flee and live, but her sister and friends were dead, so that was not going to happen anytime soon. She wanted to see blood, and she did, but it wasn’t Damera’s, rather her own. For after having evaded those deadly spits, Damera had gotten courage and had opted to meet her face to face instead of running around like a coward. Sword held aside, Damera had shouted loudly and had gone in for the kill.

But the Mandragora evaded a decapitating attempt from Damera, and she actually slashed him on the torso, but the armor Damera wore saved him from being opened up. Damera jumped back as the Mandragora kept slashing at him wildly, this time, though, her attempts were higher, the demoness aiming for his head. If she had connected only once, that would have been it for Damera, for those branch-like hands would have impaled his face, or cut him open badly, for the ends were very sharp.

It went on like this for a while, with the plant demon slashing wildly and Damera retreating and avoiding her attacks, then the Mandragora having to retreat back as Damera’s turn came to take the offensive. The first Mandragora he had killed in his homeland had not put much of a fight, but actually that Mandragora had been very young, not a full grown one like this one. Yes, back in his homeland Damera had killed just a teen Mandragora, thus he was having a hard time against this one. And he was tiring, but so was the Mandragora.

The plant demon spat at the warrior once again, then, as he avoided the missile by rolling off to the side, she came hard against the warrior, wanting to connect a fatal hit on his face. But Damera, who had been on one knee after he had avoided the spit, leaned forward into the monster and rose up as his shoulder made contact with her belly. He tossed her over his shoulder and the Mandragora fell hard on her back on the barren ground. Before she could begin to roll aside and away from danger, the sharp tip of Damera’s double edged sword was already coming down at her.

Radamanthys never blinked as the young warrior ended the demon’s life as he punctured her heart with his sword, and the famous Monster Slayer was grinning from ear to ear when the Mandragora issued out her last scream; the Dragir liking the move Damera had put on the demoness.

With the glasses already removed, the Dragir came forth into view applauding.

“That was an excellent move, kid,” Radamanthys congratulated, but as soon as Damera saw him again, he put the pummel of his sword right in his face. Hard.

Whack!

Back fell Radamanthys to the ground, who had never expected the hit. The Dragir nearly swooned, but he shook the notion away and became furious when he touched his nose and noticed that he was bleeding. He rose up right away and came towards Damera, who became scared but did not retreat.

“You deserve th…auuughh,” Damera managed to say before the Monster Slayer grabbed him roughly by the neck. Radamanthys was furious, for Damera had really given it to him, and he would have crushed his wind pipe then and there, but he remembered why they were there and why he probably deserved the hit. Damera, though, thought he saw death in the Dragir’s face, and he really became frightened as never before, thinking his time to leave the world of the living had come.

The Dragir let him go, though, but roughly as he pushed him back. “You shouldn’t have done that, stupid kid. In my rage, I could have killed you, you know?”

Damera was gasping for air, bent over, and he was coughing too, his eyes watery. He admitted to himself that his action had been silly, but just like the Dragir, he too, just used the time to get a hold of himself. He put his weapons back where they belong and turned to regard Radamanthys, who truly felt angry still after what happened, but he was relaxed and would not kill the young man merely for having hit him, although he should.

“I probably deserved that for leaving you the way I did,” Radamanthys admitted, the Dragir still using a hand to wipe the blood from his nose. “I had to, else I would have killed those Mandragoras on my own and we would have had to go deeper in search of more demons.”

“I’m sorry too,” Damera apologized, truly meaning it. “I shouldn’t have hit you cowardly like that. But I was enraged at you. I thought I was gonna die out here…”

“That’s nothing,” Radamanthys's awful stare fell on the human warrior. “Your hit on me, I mean. I was taken by surprise, though I must admit that you planted it well on me. Tis good to be reminded that I am mortal after all…and that I still bleed after all...”

Damera became surprised with those words, but he only rose his eyebrows to show it.

“So,” he said a few seconds later. “I killed that Mandragora. Are you happy now? Did I pass your test?”

Radamanthys nodded at him right away. “You can fight,” he told him with a quick nod. “And you showed me that under pressure you don’t run away like a coward. Alright, kid,” he approached him, his hand out in salute to him. “You passed. You can kill. Now let’s shake on it to make our deal official.”

Damera did not know whether the Dragir was going to get him back after he had made him bleed. Was his hand really for him to take and shake? Or was Radamanthys going to hit him, using that hand as pretext just to approach him.

The Dragir kept his eyes on him, his hand extended at Damera, and the lad had no choice but to reach for it and shake it.

“Alright,” Radamanthys nodded at him as they shook hands. “We have a deal.”

The Dragir had never had in mind getting back at Damera. As he had told Damera, the hit meant nothing to him. A few minutes later, the two went back the way they had come, with Radamanthys answering a lot of questions that Damera asked him along the way.

*End of C4*

Magatha

Magatha
Now Damera's in trouble.
Looking forward to seeing Damera and the Mandragora(s?) in action.

Oops, didn't see the new chapter.
Yay! More reading!

That was what I thought would happen. I didn't think Radamanthys would lose Damera that easily. The Mandragoras seem pretty cool and dangerous to people who can't fight well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom