• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Series

hsb39

Why so logical?
If I were you, I wouldn't go around saying that many times.
Most of the people in this forum like Pokémon, and, if you don't like, keep your opinion to yourself.

He hasn't made fun of it yet, he says that he does. We'll try to wait until he does say something before cutting him down

Phione is one of those stupid pokémons that I hate.
It's like a very downgraded Manaphy.
Celebi is, without any doubts, the hardest to obtaion Pokémon, specially outside of Japan

Arg... Can't stand Phione, although it can function in UU admittedly, probably better than Manaphy does in Ubers.

I managed to get a Celebi on my dex due to an incredibly nice person, so I can get them off the GTS (don't have any at the moment, because of good trade offers), if I have a spare I should be able to trade it to you, or at least trade and trade back.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I still play the Pokemon Games, and have all up to Platinum. ( not including, Pearl, Ruby or Silver) I still find them fun, collecting is probably one of the best parts, though the Evil orginizations help add to the plot as well.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
He hasn't made fun of it yet, he says that he does. We'll try to wait until he does say something before cutting him down

Arg... Can't stand Phione, although it can function in UU admittedly, probably better than Manaphy does in Ubers.

I managed to get a Celebi on my dex due to an incredibly nice person, so I can get them off the GTS (don't have any at the moment, because of good trade offers), if I have a spare I should be able to trade it to you, or at least trade and trade back.

I managed to get the bonus-disc of colloseum Japanese Celebi, and a 10th ANIV one has well:)
But thanks anyways:)

hsb39

Why so logical?
I still play the Pokemon Games, and have all up to Platinum. ( not including, Pearl, Ruby or Silver) I still find them fun, collecting is probably one of the best parts, though the Evil orginizations help add to the plot as well.

I love the battling (on that note, I have a new team if anyone wants to help me test it).

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I am collecting only the main games, for now... And I have some spin offs such as Box and Channel.
I'm only missing Pearl and Ruby... I ordered Ruby from an online used game shop, but they sent me another saphire=/, and they don't want to refund me...

hsb39

Why so logical?
I am collecting only the main games, for now... And I have some spin offs such as Box and Channel.
I'm only missing Pearl and Ruby... I ordered Ruby from an online used game shop, but they sent me another saphire=/, and they don't want to refund me...

Well that's illegal. If they didn't give you the right product, they have to refund you.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Yes, but they say that the games are the same, because the box says so...
The box says: "This is the saphire version. Differences between this and the ruby version are the place and wich Pokémon appear".
So they say that it is the same game-.-

hsb39

Why so logical?
Yes, but they say that the games are the same, because the box says so...
The box says: "This is the saphire version. Differences between this and the ruby version are the place and wich Pokémon appear".
So they say that it is the same game-.-

You should inform them that they are different, and explain the differences.

They said that they were going to give you something, they lied, they gave you something similar. It's quite illegal. I can't exactly help you, but they are certainly in the wrong on this one, and many people wouldn't give them a second chance to swap back...

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Since there is a thread about the Pokémon series I guess I could make this post.

I want to build a strong and competetive team and I have three favorite Pokémon, they are: Houndoom, Alakazam & Suicune. These three Pokémon I want them to be included in my team. My question is: What other Pokémon should I include in a team like this? (I´m talking about Pokémon from first, second and third generation since I don´t own any of the DS titles).

Guess I could join a Pokémon Forum but since this thread exists... :)

hsb39

Why so logical?
Since there is a thread about the Pokémon series I guess I could make this post.

I want to build a strong and competetive team and I have three favorite Pokémon, they are: Houndoom, Alakazam & Suicune. These three Pokémon I want them to be included in my team. My question is: What other Pokémon should I include in a team like this? (I´m talking about Pokémon from first, second and third generation since I don´t own any of the DS titles).

Guess I could join a Pokémon Forum but since this thread exists... :)

Very important that you mentioned that you are using 3rd Gen, makes a huge difference there. I'll suggest movesets, and go over possible team options, if you are planning to use any as a lead, that does make it slightly different, also, if you plan to use it against people, or only CPUs that makes a difference too. Finally, do you have access to Hidden Powers, I suggest a moveset for Houndoom that can be made much better with Hidden Powers if you can get them (that is, good type 70 Power).

Let's start with Suicune, because the moveset that I'm suggesting I love:

Suicune@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Spd
~ Surf
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Calm Mind

Known as Crocune around the internet, this set can devour an unprepared opponent. Calm Mind up, and RestTalk when needed, Surf behind many CMs. There are other Suicune sets, this gets destroyed by some Waters (you can beat Swampy, and a few others just through CMing a lot), especially Vaporeon, who you cannot do anything against except for PP Stall with Pressure. I'd go here for other sets: http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/suicune

Now onto Houndoom:

Houndoom@Leftovers / Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Flamethrower
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit
~ Will-o-Wisp / Beat Up

Standard special sweeper. Flamethrower and Crunch for STAB, Houndoom is one of the best 3rd Gen Pursuit users, actually benefiting from it being special. It gets Gengars as they switch out, among other things.

Will-o-Wisp will cripple many of Houndooms switch ins, pretty much all of the big counters that aren't bulky waters (Salamence, Tyranitar etc.), however, Beat Up gives you a way to dent Blissey. For more sets go here: http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/houndoom

Alakazam time:

Alakazam@Leftovers / Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Calm Mind
~ Psychic
~ Fire Punch
~ Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Recover

Simple Calm Mind set, set up and sweep. Recover lets you beat a few special sweepers, or an extra elemental punch for coverage (Thunder Punch probably being better for this team so far). For this team, ditching Fire Punch and getting a Faux Pas BoltBeam could work, as you have Fire from Houndoom. Also, going without Calm Mind can work somewhat. Other sets are here: http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/alakazam

Now for team options. I won't go through everything right now, but I'll make a few comments about what your team needs to cover, at a glance. Waters screw you, Alakazam can revenge them, but against many getting the switch in won't be easy. So you need to deal with them there. Carrying a Fire weakness can actually help you, free switch ins for Houndoom, and even if it goes down Suicune is more than reliable. Also, what you have there is entirely special, the rest of your team, or at least 2/3 needs to be physical. You'd need a physical sweeper of some kind. This team does lack in bulk overall, you can't count on Suicune for everything, so something else is needed. SkarmBliss is always reliable. I'll see if I can help you some more later, comment here or PM me.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Great post with interesting tips and comments. Guess I´m too much of a newbie to grasp all of it but only by looking at your suggested movesets I´ve learned a lot. Since I haven´t experienced competetive battling against other people I have a lot to learn. My main focus has always been on finding powerful attacks for my Pokémon. I guess that´s not a great idea if you want to play against experienced players :lol:

I´m glad you introduced me to "Smogon", I´ve looked at the site and it has made me (re)consider if I really want Alakazam & Houndoom in my team (guess it depends on who I want to battle). It´s possible I´ll send you a PM when I´ve experimented some more. You seem to have great knowledge!

I actually have two questions right away:

Which are the best Physical Sweepers in the 3rd generation?
What makes the SkarmBliss combo that special?

(Guess the questions could be tricky to answer but it would be interesting to know :))

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
yeah, i finished platinum but i still EV training giratina. To catch a good nature is pretty easy, its a matter of reseting.
But, i recently relayed pokemon XD gale of darkness. And OMG i got a modest lugia (atk down, sp atk up). And some of you know its got the exclusive move psyco boost. Really lucky since you can 't see the nature of shadow pokemon. and it automaticly saves if you finished the game.

hsb39

Why so logical?
Great post with interesting tips and comments. Guess I´m too much of a newbie to grasp all of it but only by looking at your suggested movesets I´ve learned a lot. Since I haven´t experienced competetive battling against other people I have a lot to learn. My main focus has always been on finding powerful attacks for my Pokémon. I guess that´s not a great idea if you want to play against experienced players :lol:

I´m glad you introduced me to "Smogon", I´ve looked at the site and it has made me (re)consider if I really want Alakazam & Houndoom in my team (guess it depends on who I want to battle). It´s possible I´ll send you a PM when I´ve experimented some more. You seem to have great knowledge!

I actually have two questions right away:

Which are the best Physical Sweepers in the 3rd generation?
What makes the SkarmBliss combo that special?

(Guess the questions could be tricky to answer but it would be interesting to know :))

Smogon is truly great, you just have to look past them being up themselves, and they do have the best competitive knowledge around.

Question 1: I can't remember all of the best, but I can mention a few. The three big Dragon Dance users are all good, and reliable, Salamence (with Rock, Flying, Ground having perfect coverage), Tyranitar and Gyarados (the latter two often use Taunt, stopping Skarmory from being able to Whirlwind you. Metagross also gets a mention, power and easy switch ins make it quite good. I'll look up some more later.

SkarmBliss was a great combination in 3rd Gen because Blissey was (and still is) the best Special Wall in the game, not many special sweepers can beat it. Skarmory was the best physical wall at that point, not quite as amazing as Blissey, but still great. There are counters to it, Dugtrio and Magneton can trap you, and MixSalamences and MixBlazikens cause trouble, but SkarmBliss can be the main defensive base of most teams.

yeah, i finished platinum but i still EV training giratina. To catch a good nature is pretty easy, its a matter of reseting.
But, i recently relayed pokemon XD gale of darkness. And OMG i got a modest lugia (atk down, sp atk up). And some of you know its got the exclusive move psyco boost. Really lucky since you can 't see the nature of shadow pokemon. and it automaticly saves if you finished the game.

Modest can be quite good for Lugia, but it is mainly a Defensive Pokemon. The problem with Psycho Boost, especially when compared to other Ubers who can now use Draco Meteor, is that its coverage in the Ubers Metagame is quite poor. However, using a Choice Specs set can work, if you want to use Psycho Boost, the best that I can think of is:

Lugia@Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Spd OR 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd OR 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
~ Psycho Boost
~ Thunder
~ Ice Beam
~ Trick

Main thing here is surprise factor, noone expects a Lugia to pack punch. Psycho Boost has power, Thunder and Ice Beam has great Ubers coverage (Thunder because of Kyogre being in about 50% of battles [seriously, that much]), and Trick to cripple something, hopefully Blissey or something similar.

Max SAtk is a given, but you can change how much you Speed you want over bulk, that really depends on your IV. What I suggest is checking the IV, if it is perfect go for 204, letting you outspeed all +Spd Nature base 90s (Groudon, Kyogre, Ho-oh etc.). If it is just terrible, focus on HP, but if you can get the jump on base 90s, put as much EVs as needed.

I like the pokemon games. they are really fun, especially for younger kids. Parents like them too because they are not violent. I am not a fan of everything that has been created after the games tho. I don't like the show, or the merchandise or the movies, or the card game. But the games are cool

hsb39

Why so logical?
I like the pokemon games. they are really fun, especially for younger kids. Parents like them too because they are not violent. I am not a fan of everything that has been created after the games tho. I don't like the show, or the merchandise or the movies, or the card game. But the games are cool

Heh, the show has a whole heap of Pokemon gamers who just hate it. You can look up a few clips on YouTube to see why, try "finish it off with False Swipe".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom