• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monster Hunter Monster Hunter Double Cross (MHXX)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This morning it was announced that Monster Hunter Generations is getting a G rank update called Monster Hunter Double Cross (MHXX)!

"Players will be able to transfer their data from the original Monster Hunter X to the new XX version. That way they can start right away with the brand new content that the game offers."

- Two new hunter styles
- Brave Style, the more aggressive you are the more counters/power you get
- second style is a mystery, but showed a hunter with a barrel above their head
- monsters shown: Barroth, Barioth, Fatalis map, Diablos Deviant, etc.
- Prowlers getting big upgrade, they can do aerial and adept style like moves
- the new HUB is an airship
- G rank has been added
- two new monsters as flagships, Diablos the leader of the deviants and other new monster that looks like a flying cannon

x

It looks like that new monster could be an elder dragon? (EDIT: It's being treated as a new Flagship along with the Diablos deviant.) It kind of looks like a super intense Gore Magala variant to me. And it looks like we have a small handful of new and/or returning maps as well. Could have sworn I saw a new hunter art, too. The game is set for release in Japan March 18th, 2017.

What are your thoughts on this announcement? How excited are you for this? I'm super stoked that they aren't just slapping on G rank but they're taking the time to add even more content like new hunting styles and possibly new arts, maps, and monsters. Can't wait for a western release date. If we got MHGen, we're getting this for sure.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
If Japan is getting this in March we can't expect to have it til at least holiday 2017

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
tumblr_ofpeli8deA1ruxn67o1_540.jpg

Japanese name is Barufaruku. Seeing it like this, it looks a lot less like Gore Magala to me now, but I can still see why I thought so in the first place. Man it looks like it'll be intense to fight.

Some more screenshots:

tumblr_ofpixlsmOD1ruxn67o1_400.jpg

tumblr_ofpixlsmOD1ruxn67o2_400.jpg

tumblr_ofpixlsmOD1ruxn67o3_400.jpg

tumblr_ofpixlsmOD1ruxn67o4_400.jpg

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

First look at the gameplay, and the new G rank Hunter's Hub, which is a group of airships! Pretty darn cool. It seems to have its own forge and store, and a place to depart on quests outside, but there's also a guild hall of sorts inside. Maybe this means we're getting more of both Village and Guild quests? There's a bar inside the airship hall. Looks like the bartender gives you quests? It seems like the airship decks is the prep area maybe? I know the Meowstress is hanging around the guild hall inside, according to the trailer. We also saw the Cheif Researcher in there in the trailer. It's a safe bet our housekeeper will be up there with us, too.

First look at the new map! I have a feeling it's connected to the Jurassic Frontier, maybe this is the limestone mountain range that the Wycademy researchers talk about? There's a bunch of neat looking ruins everywhere. It's very beautiful.

Here's the layout of the new map:
tumblr_ofqaojBRVZ1r5w5dlo1_250.jpg

I'm betting Area 9 is the top of that giant spire where we fight Barufaruku.

We also get a look at the new Brave hunting style in that video vs a Rathian. I gotta say, the BGM for battles on that map is awesome.

It looks like Brave style uses counters and general attacks to build up something similar to the Long Sword's spirit gauge, and by charging attacks with this gauge you get access to new movesets. So it's kind of like a less flashy Adept style but with a heavy focus on counterattacking rather than dodging. It looks like you can chain Brave counterattacks into even bigger moves.

The Desert from Monster Hunter 2 and Freedom Unite makes a return, along with Barroth! Here's the map:

tumblr_ofqbdjvEdj1r5w5dlo1_250.jpg

I wish the Jungle and Tower from MHFU would return, I loved those maps. hmph

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The Monster Hunter Wiki calls Barufaruku and Elder Dragon, so it could be an elder along with being a flagship. Has an elder dragon ever also been a flagship? I'm not sure if that's been done.

There's also speculation that its English name could be Valfalk. I found this that breaks it down:

"On “Barufaruku”
I think I figured out this thing’s name.

Barufaruku = Valfalk

“Val” is an Old Norse word that pertains to the dead. Valkyries and Valravns, for example, are both Norse monsters/mythical beings that relate to the dead. So “Baru” = “Val”

"Falk" is another Norse word/root that refers to falcons. Falcons, especially the Peregrine Falcon, are known for their high speeds and are often associated with fighter jets. The monster has jet-like wings and a falcon-like beak.
“faruku” = “falk”

Valfalk. The fighter jet of death."

x

There's also this:

tumblr_ofqz3j3XeR1ruxn67o1_540.jpg

"The 2017 USJ “The Real” event will feature Amatsu and Valfalk! " x

That was posted by an editor of the Monster Hunter Wiki, so I think it's safe to assume that Valfalk is a good bet for its localized name. Also, it being paired with Amatsu could mean it's on the same level as it. I think we've got a lot to look forward to.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks to @Browen for posting this in the guild chat yesterday: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/2...ets-bunch-new-screenshots-official-site-open/

"Monster Hunter XX was just announced during Capcom’s Monster Hunter Direct presentation yesterday, and the game’s official Japanese site is now open. Monster Hunter XX is an upgraded version of Monster Hunter X (Monster Hunter Generations in the West) and will feature the addition of two new Hunting Styles: the Brave Style and another Style not yet announced."

monsterhunterxx20.jpg

Look at that man, holy **** thats beautiful.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

This video shows off a bit of Brave Style with my beloved dual blades. We still don't know yet how many hunter arts we can equip with it, but from the video we note something interesting; the demon gauge is absent for Brave style dual blades, the same as with Striker style. Wonder if this means anything for other weapons that have gauges.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

New trailer! We get a look at Valfalk and some of what it can do, and we see some particulars of Alchemy Style. It seems to be heavily support-based, more so than the Hunting Horn. AND THE JUNGLE FROM FREEDOM UNITE THAT I WANTED TO COME BACK IS IN FACT COMING BACK!!! HELL YES. Also, all of the Fated Four now have Deviants:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/7d9a76210c8acf86f11ff9a59aea3298/tumblr_ohus4vhczS1ruxn67o1_1280.jpg
Blue Thunder Lord Astalos, Heavenly Eye Mizutsune, and Silver Ridge Gammoth

Those names are probably not the official localizations. They sure do look fierce, though, especially that Astalos deviant.

There's also the hunter at the end of the video supposedly using the "Oh Yeah!" gesture to call something? Is that a new hunter art? Looks interesting.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
It's just gonna be Thunderlord Astalos. They called TL Zinogre "Gold Zinogre" beforebit released in the west. Also excited to get some new gear and monsters

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom