• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds A Link Between Worlds Theory, a Prequel to ALTTP

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
A Link Between Worlds Theory, a Story between OoT and ALttP

Hey everyone, VTN here bringing you my theory for ALBW. Okay here's my theory, first of all, considering it is confirmed that this game won't be a direct sequel to aLttP (which also means it'll take place during a different generation), it has not yet been confirmed if this will take place after aLttP or not. Although, they did have it on their E3 website that ALBW will be sequel, however, that might have been just a place holder to continue to throw us off and make us continue to believe that it was going to be a sequel for the time being. I personally think that ALBW will actually be before aLttP. I say this for five reasons:

1) Aonuma confirmed the Dark World will be in game as said here:

Exclusive: Zelda 3DS 'feels totally different,' needs to be played in 3D | Reviews - Games and Gear - CNET Reviews

and here:

Aonuma Sheds New Light on Link to the Past Sequel, May Be Most Inventive Zelda Yet - News - Nintendo World Report

Aonuma then later explain more about the Dark World as he these things to say in this article:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/a-link-to-the-past-2-will-have-a-dark-world-and-run-at-60fps/#null

There is a reason why I believe this could prove and confirm that ALBW is before ALttP. First off, at the end of ALttP, the Dark World returns to it's normal state as the Golden Land again, possibly meaning the Dark Word would be gone forever after ALttP. ALttP even confirmed in a way that the chances of the Dark World returning would be very slim as the characters in the game even referred to Link that once Ganon was defeated, the Dark World would disappear, possibly forever. When I saw Aonuma confirm the Dark World's return, I was shocked as I just not too long before finished a playthrough of aLttP, as I was confused how that would even be logically possible, unless if the game was another remake or still a new game but would before ALttP. Since before E3, I originally had my doubts that it'd take place before ALttP, mainly because I thought it was going to be the same Link. But when, I heard that Aonuma confirmed that it'd be a "different"(he didn't necessarily say new or refer to it as after) generation of Link and Zelda, the second I saw this, I was sure right off the bat that this game was indeed definitely going to be before ALttP. So there you go, that's the real first reason.

2) The tree over by the lumberjack's house is still there in one whole piece as seen here:

1-81671264202123032986576046517087.jpg

3) Link's shield in the artwork is different than ALTTP Link's shield, so ALBW's Link will definitely be a new Link as seen here:

ALBW_and_ALTTP_Shields_Comparison_zps9af7b451.jpg~original

buuut, the shield is much closer in resemblance to the Hylian Shield from SS, OoT and TP than ALTTP Link's Hyrulean shield is as seen here:

ALBW_artwork_analysis_zpsbe00685b.jpg~original

Yes, I crossed out the details on the SS shield that don't appear on ALBW shield to show how similar the Hylian Shield in ALBW really is to the Hylian Shield from SS. Anyways, according to HH, this would make this proof that ALBW will be before ALTTP, considering that the era this game takes place in is definitely closer in distance from the OoT era than ALTTP is.

4) The interiors for the dungeons seem to be confirmed to be much more arranged and designed differently from their ALttP counter-parts. So the game might take place at least two or three generations before ALttP.

5) There's a possibility that the "shocking surprise" in the opening Aonuma mentioned could be the explanation to how the Hero of Time was apparently "defeated". Keep in mind that HH didn't really say much as to how OoT Link was defeated, it just said he was defeated by Ganondorf, that's it. The reason for HH having such little information on the Hero of Time's defeat is cause it'd spoil the opening for ALBW. If that's the case that means that this game might be the first game on the "Defeated Timeline" or more like "Prevented Victory Timeline" after OoT. I say "Prevented Victory Timeline" cause I think might what would the Hero of Time's defeat such a shocking opening is the fact that his defeat happens in a very unexpected way. In this case means there will be a new (and yet somewhat familiar, name wise, or, a new one entirely) villain in this game who happens to be the one responsible for the Hero of Time's foretold victory being prevented. Considering some of the more recent previous games have had openings related to the villain in those games (except for PH since the opening of that game was more focused on recapping the events of WW and TP doesn't count either since it didn't have much of opening as it just went straight to introducing us to the game itself and it's story), this makes sense.

Anyways, that is that is my theory. What do you people think? Do you think ALBW will be before ALttP? Do you think that this game could somehow relate more on the Hero of Time's defeat and that the Hero of Time's defeat could be more of a prevented victory rather than an actual defeat making the "Defeated Timeline" more of paradox timeline rather than a "what if" timeline? What are your thoughts on this?

Edit: Well, I looked back at Nintendo's E3 website and noticed they changed what it says about ALBW where it no longer it says it's sequel, now it says it's a new game with a new story, or maybe it's always said new game, I might've miss read it somehow. Anyways, I guess that increases possibilities of ALBW being before ALttP. :)

Edit 2: I added the real first reason why I think this game will be before ALttP. I highlighted the changes I made to the post in bold green so that people can tell what has been changed or added to the post. Also, people are still welcome to share their thoughts and opinions on this, just don't say anything negative or post any false confirmations on the game like two people on this site have done so far.

Edit 3: I changed the title of the thread and edited a bit of this post. I simply replaced the term "prequel" with just a simple "before" term since it seems people go crazy when they see the term "prequel" mentioned when it comes to Zelda.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

Good observations, but they also said that ALBW takes place around one generation after ALTTP.

No they didn't. You're the second person on this site so far I've seen who said that Nintendo supposedly said that when, I looked at all of the recent interviews, including the Aonuma interview with Kotaku where he revealed the possibility of it be a different generation of Link and Zelda in the game. I did not see anything where Aonuma mentioned about one generation after ALttP. Since obviously you're delusional and obviously miss read the article, here is the link to the article so you can see it for yourself and this time, don't miss read it:

The World of A Link To The Past Has Changed in the New 3DS Zelda

Well there you have it, "ALBW taking place around one generation after ALTTP" was not in that article. I don't know why people have to be delusional and claim that Nintendo confirmed something in an article that isn't even in the article? If all you want to say is claim that Nintendo confirmed something they didn't really confirm, then mind your own business and don't post anything at all. Seriously, honestly, I don't see how this game can take place after ALttP when the Dark World is going to be in the game, which is why I should of put that for the fifth reason why I think that this game will be before ALttP. Seriously, That should've been the first reason cause at the end of ALttP, the Dark World returns to it's normal state as the Golden Land again, possibly meaning the Dark Word would be gone forever after ALttP. ALttP even confirmed in a way that the chances of the Dark World returning would be very slim as the characters in the game even referred to Link that once Ganon was defeated, the Dark World would disappear, possibly forever. When I saw Aonuma confirm the Dark World's return, I was shocked as I just not too long before finished a playthrough of aLttP, as I was confused how that would even be logically possible, unless if the game was another remake or still a new game but would before ALttP. Since before E3, I originally had my doubts that it'd take place before ALttP, mainly because I thought it was going to be the same Link. But when, I heard that Aonuma confirmed that it'd be a "different"(he didn't necessarily say new or refer to it as after) generation of Link and Zelda, the second I saw this, I was sure right off the bat that this game was indeed definitely going to be before ALttP, but then people like you had to go and post stuff claiming that Aonuma confirmed something that he didn't even confirm. Seriously, I'd like to know where along the lines of that Kotaku article did you and that other guy that claimed the same confirmation in that other thread, where exactly did Aonuma confirm that? Anyways this is just my opinion, you don't want to believe it, then that is your decision, your opinion, as you have the right to believe what you want to believe, just like I have the right to believe what I want to believe. If you want to believe something that isn't true, that is your decision, not mine. I respect your opinion cause I am a nice person who cares about people, so I think it would be nice if you could respect my opinion. If you don't then again, that is your decision, not mine.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
VitaTempusN92 said:
Okay here's my theory, first of all, considering it is confirmed that this game won't be a direct sequel to*aLttP*(which also means it'll take place during a different generation), it has not yet been confirmed if this will take place after*aLttP*or not.*
Ok to further back up on the small uncertainty that this game won't be a sequel, here's a quote a few weeks back from Bill Trinen, who works for Nintendo America, so he probably knows a good deal about the game:

[ilquote=Bill Trinen] From a story perspective there are connections, -- so it does fall afterA Link to the Past. And it's set in the same world, but introduces that new gameplay mechanic. So, yeah, I guess by that definition ... [/ilquote]

Now taking this into account, plus the numerous sources of information that point out that this game will be a sequel, then I think it's pretty much a given - Nintendo can't just outright lie to its fans.

Now you did some great research here and you obviously put a lot of thought into this theory and it seems likely for sure. Now even though this is countered by actual evidence, I still have a theory of my own, or one that I have grown to over the past couple if weeks. This would be the idea of "time travel".

Now time travel has been evident in quite a few Zelda games and, to be honest, I feel it will make an appearance in this game too.
VitaTempusN92 said:
There is a reason why I believe this could prove and confirm that ALBW is before ALttP. First off, at the end of ALttP, the Dark World returns to it's normal state as the Golden Land again, possibly meaning the Dark Word would be gone forever after ALttP. ALttP even confirmed in a way that the chances of the Dark World returning would be very slim as the characters in the game even referred to Link that once Ganon was defeated, the Dark World would disappear, possibly forever. When I saw Aonuma confirm the Dark World's return, I was shocked as I just not too long before finished a playthrough of aLttP, as I was confused how that would even be logically possible, unless if the game was another remake or still a new game but would before ALttP.
I like that you raised the question on the Dark World, because I think it's probably the biggest plot hole in A Link Between Worlds taking place after A Link to the Past. Like you mention, the Dark World was perished after the defeat of Ganon, but couldn't one just say that a new evil once gain invades the Sacred Realm again? Well this is were you could strengthen your argument -- After the defeat of Ganon, Hyrule knew "peace", it went through a period known as the Golden Era . This Era is expanded upon in Hyrule Historia and basically it leads up to the backstory of The Adventure of Link and the events leading up to Legend of Zelda. So basically Hyrule was free from an actual threat up until Ganon invaded in the prologue to LoZ. This would essentially mean that no evil was present - this results in no invasion of the Sacred Realm. Further backing this up would be the fact that the Triforce was taken "out" of the Sacred Realm after the events of A Link to the Past and was instead utilised by the Kings of Hyrule.

Now Nintendo can surely retcon in some sort of plot but there are certainly holes in my opinion in this being a sequel, the only explanation, I believe, toaactually counter this would be time travel.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
No they didn't. You're the second person on this site so far I've seen who said that Nintendo supposedly said that when, I looked at all of the recent interviews, including the Aonuma interview with Kotaku where he revealed the possibility of it be a different generation of Link and Zelda in the game. I did not see anything where Aonuma mentioned about one generation after ALttP. Since obviously you're delusional and obviously miss read the article, here is the link to the article so you can see it for yourself and this time, don't miss read it:

Well there you have it, "ALBW taking place around one generation after ALTTP" was not. I don't know why people have to be delusional and claim that Nintendo confirmed something in an article that isn't even in the article? If all you want to say is claim that Nintendo confirmed something they didn't really confirm, then mind your own business and don't anything at all. Seriously, honestly, I don't see how this game can take place after ALttP when the Dark World is going to be in the game, which is why I should of put that for the fifth reason why I think that this game will be before ALttP. Seriously, That should've been the first reason cause at the end of ALttP, the Dark World returns to it's normal state as the Golden Land again, possibly meaning the Dark Word would be gone forever after ALttP. ALttP even confirmed in a way that the chances of the Dark World returning would be very slim as the characters in the game even referred to Link that once Ganon was defeated, the Dark World would disappear, possibly forever. When I saw Aonuma confirm the Dark World's return, I was shocked as I just not too long before finished a playthrough of aLttP, as I was confused how that would even be logically possible, unless if the game was another remake or still a new game but would before ALttP. Since before E3, I originally had my doubts that it'd take place before ALttP, mainly because I thought it was going to be the same Link. But when, I heard that Aonuma confirmed that it'd be a "different"(he didn't necessarily say new or refer to it as after) generation of Link and Zelda, the second I saw this, I was sure right off the bat that this game was indeed definitely going to be before ALttP, but then people like you had to go and post stuff claiming that Aonuma confirmed something that he didn't even confirm. Seriously, I'd like to know where along the lines of that Kotaku article did you and that other guy that claimed the same confirmation in that other thread, where exactly did Aonuma confirm that? Anyways this is just my opinion, you don't want to believe it, then that is your decision, your opinion, as you have the right to believe what you want to believe, just like I have the right to believe what I want to believe. If you want to believe something that isn't true, that is your decision, not mine. I respect your opinion cause I am a nice person who cares about people, so I think it would be nice if you could respect my opinion. If you don't then again, that is your decision, not mine.
Even if you turned out to be right, there was no need to be mean, It wasn't a stretch to assume Aunouma meant it takes place after alttp, since it said to be a sequel.

I like that you raised the question on the Dark World, because I think it's probably the biggest plot hole in A Link Between Worlds taking place after A Link to the Past. Like you mention, the Dark World was perished after the defeat of Ganon, but couldn't one just say that a new evil once gain invades the Sacred Realm again? Well this is were you could strengthen your argument -- After the defeat of Ganon, Hyrule knew "peace", it went through a period known as the Golden Era . This Era is expanded upon in Hyrule Historia and basically it leads up to the backstory of The Adventure of Link and the events leading up to Legend of Zelda. So basically Hyrule was free from an actual threat up until Ganon invaded in the prologue to LoZ. This would essentially mean that no evil was present - this results in no invasion of the Sacred Realm. Further backing this up would be the fact that the Triforce was taken "out" of the Sacred Realm after the events of A Link to the Past and was instead utilised by the Kings of Hyrule.

Now Nintendo can surely retcon in some sort of plot but there are certainly holes in my opinion in this being a sequel, the only explanation, I believe, toaactually counter this would be time travel.
If the sacred realm becomes the dark world again, wouldn't this evil need the triforce first? now where exactly did Link leave the triforce....

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Even if you turned out to be right, there was no need to be mean, It wasn't a stretch to assume Aunouma meant it takes place after alttp, since it said to be a sequel, I don't get why you need to be harsh on your detractors.

If the sacred realm becomes the dark world again, wouldn't this evil need the triforce first? now where exactly did Link leave the triforce....

The point is that the Triforce was taken out of the Sacred Realm and utilised by the Kings of Hyrule, why would evil invade the Sacred Realm now? The Triforce is now not in the Sacred Realm, thus lessening the Realm's importance. Evil wouldn't just invade the Sacred Realm for something that was not there in the first place.

K

Kwakey

“We started out with the new play mechanics, such as Link being able to become a painting and walk along the walls, and then figured out from there how to build a story around them. Rather than forcing elements of the original story into this one, we’ve instead focused on bringing back the characters, so you can see what happened to them after the events of the first game.”
Unless time travel is involved, I'm unsure how this could be possible in a prequel.
Source: A Link To The Past 2 will include a dark world, run at 60fps and reveal "a big surprise" | News | Edge Online
Sorry if it was brought up already.

VitaTempusN92

Ok to further back up on the small uncertainty that this game won't be a sequel, here's a quote a few weeks back from Bill Trinen, who works for Nintendo America, so he probably knows a good deal about the game:

[ilquote=Bill Trinen] From a story perspective there are connections, -- so it does fall afterA Link to the Past. And it's set in the same world, but introduces that new gameplay mechanic. So, yeah, I guess by that definition ... [/ilquote]

Now taking this into account, plus the numerous sources of information that point out that this game will be a sequel, then I think it's pretty much a given - Nintendo can't just outright lie to its fans.

Now you did some great research here and you obviously put a lot of thought into this theory and it seems likely for sure. Now even though this is countered by actual evidence, I still have a theory of my own, or one that I have grown to over the past couple if weeks. This would be the idea of "time travel".

Now time travel has been evident in quite a few Zelda games and, to be honest, I feel it will make an appearance in this game too.

First off, that interview was way back from when the game was first announced, that was back when the game was originally called "Triforce of the Gods 2" or "A Link to the Past 2", which was used as just a place holder for the game much like what happened with Twilight Princess according to an interview with Aonuma back in 2004 on TP:

Eiji Aonuma: So, but obviously at E3 our big focus is going to be on the Wind Waker 2, which is under development as we speak. And, so that's going to be our big focus. We'll have a big push for that, and anything related to Zelda developments in relation to the DS will probably come at some point after that.

What Aonuma referred to as "Wind Waker 2" is what came out be what we know of as Twilight Princess (a game that doesn't even have anything to do with WW at all other than being a parallel counter-part to WW).

Also, as I've said in the top post of this thread, I mentioned Nintendo did note ALBW as a sequel on their E3 site on the ALBW page. I then decided to look back at the site to if they changed it since now after what Aonuma confirmed and they did as I've said in the first edit in the top post of this thread. I still strongly think it's possible that ALBW could be a prequel to ALttP cause there are too many more things that back the before ALttP idea up than things that back the after ALttP idea up if you really think about it. Here are the things back up the before ALttP idea:

1) Dark World

2) Tree near the lumberjack's house is still there as a whole

3) Link's Shield in this game is the Hylian Shield from SS, OoT, and TP not the Hyrulean Shield from ALttP, OoX, LA. In HH, it says that after the imprisoning war, over time the Hylian bloodline weakens as it refers to the fact that the strong Hylian culture that is present in OoT, WW (at the bottom of the great sea), MC, FS (very faintly though), SS (seeing it is the origin of such culture), and TP begins to weaken and become dull and more simplified, therefore Hylians becoming more and more known as the Hyruleans as they begin to go by a new and more altered culture. In this case, it refers to the fact that the Hylian culture of old becomes nothing but an old myth and an ancient legend long forgotten(more like, abandoned, but I'll explain more about that at another time ;)). It basically explains the reason why it seems the design of Link's shield has changed over the centuries in the ALttP/OoX/LA era, it is because of the new Hyrulean culture in that era. According to the ALBW artwork of Link, the Hylian Shield present in that art proves this game will place in a time where people still go by the strong Hylian culture. I personally think this new game (if it will be a prequel, which I'm hoping it will since it makes logical sense) will explain the reason for the people of Hyrule transitioning from Hylian culture to their new Hyrulean culture (lesser Hylian culture), I think this might have to do with the Black Triforce that is in the title logo. So basically, I think that ALBW would probably be at least one, two, or three generation(s) after the events of the Imprisoning war, depending on how long the war went on for and probably at least seven or eight generations before ALttP, depending on how many generations there would be within a three hundred year range between ALBW and ALttP. Anyways, enough talk about that for now, moving on.

4) The interiors for the dungeons being much more arranged and designed differently from their ALttP counter-parts. So the game might take place at least seven or eight generations before ALttP.

5) The possibility that the "shocking surprise" in the opening Aonuma mentioned could be the explanation to how the Hero of Time was apparently "defeated".

6) the game already has two worlds as it is, Light and Dark, I don't see how time travel would be present in this expect for maybe in opening when an anonymous Villain comes from the future to prevent the Hero of Time's victory against Ganon thus creating the defeated timeline in the first place. Having the game involve time travel would add to the amount of worlds in the game, in the case would mean it would have at least three or four worlds which as if you asked Nintendo, they would say that something like that would be too much for a Zelda game, especially if all three/four worlds were big overworlds, in other words, just two big overworlds is enough for them to work. After all, they'e only human you know. You do know that making video games takes alot of hard work and effort, right?

7) The Triforce obviously still in the Sacred Realm being the reason the Dark World will be present in this new game, ALBW. Just as you said, after ALttP, the Triforce isn't in the Sacred Realm, so the Sacred Realm isn't important to evil anymore, defeating the possibilities of the Dark World ever returning after ALttP. This is what makes the fact that the Dark World will be in game the biggest impacting proof that this new game, ALBW will be before ALttP cause after ALttP, the evil forces have no reason to corrupt the sacred realm again since the Triforce wouldn't be there anymore, if they were to get their hands on Triforce again after ALttP, they would use it to corrupt Hyrule instead. Now before you say that they could just turn Hyrule into the Dark World this time, just remember what the title of this new game is, "A Link Between Worlds". The title itself even confirms that the Dark World is still separate from the Light World and the even the Triforce Logo in the title confirms that Triforce will be still be in the Dark World. Anyways, that is all I to say about that for now, moving on.

8) Nintendo's E3 page for ALBW originally called the game a sequel during E3 last week, however, Nintendo removed to the term "sequel" from the page just after Aonuma confirmed that the game will take place in a different era with a different generation of Link and Zelda.

Now let's look at the evidence that backs up the after ALttP idea:

1) The interview with Bill Trinen

2) Edge Interview with Aonuma which was before E3, before Aonuma's more recent interview with Kotaku, before Nintendo removed the term "sequel" from the ALBW page on their E3 site, which is obviously before that considering at the time of that interview, their E3 site was still in countdown mode at the time.

3) The "Triforce of the Gods 2" and "A Link to the Past 2" placeholder names the game was originally being called by which was debunked by the similar thing happening before with a certain other Zelda game I like to call Twilight Princess as I've explained earlier in the post.

Anyways there's all the evidence I can think of out of what I know for now. I think we can all pretty much confirm there are huge possibilities that ALBW will before ALttP unless if it ends up taking place on different or alternate timeline, which at this point I'd say is unlikely considering Nintendo did confirm that it does take place in the same world as ALttP, which could not only mean same overworld but also same timeline. Also, I like that you at least tried to respect my theory, I'd like to thank you for that. It makes me happy when people at least try to respect my opinions and theories. :)

Even if you turned out to be right, there was no need to be mean, It wasn't a stretch to assume Aunouma meant it takes place after alttp, since it said to be a sequel, I don't get why you need to be harsh on your detractors.

I was trying to not be too harsh on him but I got carried away as I wasn't thinking clearing since I was in such a bad mood. What he said made me feel like he rubbing the whole ALBW being after ALttP supposed confirmation in my like he could less about my say in things. Basically felt like he didn't consider in respecting my theory so I ended up taking a little too far seriously that I replied to him in way that I now regret and feel sorry for doing. Anyways, I fixed my reply to him as I crossed out the nasty things I said in the post. I quoted myself in this post so you see the changes I've made without having to look back at the actual post itself. Anyways, here is my fixed post:

Well there you have it, "ALBW taking place around one generation after ALTTP" was not in that article. I don't know why people have to be delusional and claim that Nintendo confirmed something in an article that isn't even in the article? If all you want to say is claim that Nintendo confirmed something they didn't really confirm, then mind your own business and don't post anything at all. Seriously, honestly, I don't see how this game can take place after ALttP when the Dark World is going to be in the game, which is why I should of put that for the fifth reason why I think that this game will be before ALttP. Seriously, That should've been the first reason cause at the end of ALttP, the Dark World returns to it's normal state as the Golden Land again, possibly meaning the Dark Word would be gone forever after ALttP. ALttP even confirmed in a way that the chances of the Dark World returning would be very slim as the characters in the game even referred to Link that once Ganon was defeated, the Dark World would disappear, possibly forever. When I saw Aonuma confirm the Dark World's return, I was shocked as I just not too long before finished a playthrough of aLttP, as I was confused how that would even be logically possible, unless if the game was another remake or still a new game but would before ALttP. Since before E3, I originally had my doubts that it'd take place before ALttP, mainly because I thought it was going to be the same Link. But when, I heard that Aonuma confirmed that it'd be a "different"(he didn't necessarily say new or refer to it as after) generation of Link and Zelda, the second I saw this, I was sure right off the bat that this game was indeed definitely going to be before ALttP, but then people like you had to go and post stuff claiming that Aonuma confirmed something that he didn't even confirm. Seriously, I'd like to know where along the lines of that Kotaku article did you and that other guy that claimed the same confirmation in that other thread, where exactly did Aonuma confirm that? Anyways this is just my opinion, you don't want to believe it, then that is your decision, your opinion, as you have the right to believe what you want to believe, just like I have the right to believe what I want to believe. If you want to believe something that isn't true, that is your decision, not mine. I respect your opinion cause I am a nice person who cares about people, so I think it would be nice if you could respect my opinion. If you don't then again, that is your decision, not mine.

Is that better?

“We started out with the new play mechanics, such as Link being able to become a painting and walk along the walls, and then figured out from there how to build a story around them. Rather than forcing elements of the original story into this one, we’ve instead focused on bringing back the characters, so you can see what happened to them after the events of the first game.”
Unless time travel is involved, I'm unsure how this could be possible in a prequel.
Source: A Link To The Past 2 will include a dark world, run at 60fps and reveal "a big surprise" | News | Edge Online
Sorry if it was brought up already.

Okay, first of all, just as I explained to justac00lguy, I guess I'll just explain what I was saying to him again, only this time to you.

First off, that interview with Aonuma was from back before E3, that was back when the game was originally called "Triforce of the Gods 2" or "A Link to the Past 2", which was used as just a place holder for the game much like what happened with Twilight Princess according to an interview with Aonuma back in 2004 on TP:

Eiji Aonuma: So, but obviously at E3 our big focus is going to be on the Wind Waker 2, which is under development as we speak. And, so that's going to be our big focus. We'll have a big push for that, and anything related to Zelda developments in relation to the DS will probably come at some point after that.

What Aonuma referred to as "Wind Waker 2" is what came out be what we know of as Twilight Princess (a game that doesn't even have anything to do with WW at all other than being a parallel counter-part to WW).

Also, as I've said in the top post of this thread, I mentioned Nintendo did note ALBW as a sequel on their E3 site on the ALBW page. I then decided to look back at the site to if they changed it since now after what Aonuma confirmed and they did as I've said in the first edit in the top post of this thread. I still strongly think it's possible that ALBW could be a prequel to ALttP cause there are too many more things that back the before ALttP idea up than things that back the after ALttP idea up if you really think about it. Here are the things back up the before ALttP idea:

1) Dark World

2) Tree near the lumberjack's house is still there as a whole

3) Link's Shield in this game is the Hylian Shield from SS, OoT, and TP not the Hyrulean Shield from ALttP, OoX, LA. In HH, it says that after the imprisoning war, over time the Hylian bloodline weakens as it refers to the fact that the strong Hylian culture that is present in OoT, WW (at the bottom of the great sea), MC, FS (very faintly though), SS (seeing it is the origin of such culture), and TP begins to weaken and become dull and more simplified, therefore Hylians becoming more and more known as the Hyruleans as they begin to go by a new and more altered culture. In this case, it refers to the fact that the Hylian culture of old becomes nothing but an old myth and an ancient legend long forgotten(more like, abandoned, but I'll explain more about that at another time ;)). It basically explains the reason why it seems the design of Link's shield has changed over the centuries in the ALttP/OoX/LA era, it is because of the new Hyrulean culture in that era. According to the ALBW artwork of Link, the Hylian Shield present in that art proves this game will place in a time where people still go by the strong Hylian culture. I personally think this new game (if it will be a prequel, which I'm hoping it will since it makes logical sense) will explain the reason for the people of Hyrule transitioning from Hylian culture to their new Hyrulean culture (lesser Hylian culture), I think this might have to do with the Black Triforce that is in the title logo. So basically, I think that ALBW would probably be at least one, two, or three generation(s) after the events of the Imprisoning war, depending on how long the war went on for and probably at least seven or eight generations before ALttP, depending on how many generations there would be within a three hundred year range between ALBW and ALttP. Anyways, enough talk about that for now, moving on.

4) The interiors for the dungeons being much more arranged and designed differently from their ALttP counter-parts. So the game might take place at least seven or eight generations before ALttP.

5) The possibility that the "shocking surprise" in the opening Aonuma mentioned could be the explanation to how the Hero of Time was apparently "defeated".

6) the game already has two worlds as it is, Light and Dark, I don't see how time travel would be present in this expect for maybe in opening when an anonymous Villain comes from the future to prevent the Hero of Time's victory against Ganon thus creating the defeated timeline in the first place. Having the game involve time travel would add to the amount of worlds in the game, in the case would mean it would have at least three or four worlds which as if you asked Nintendo, they would say that something like that would be too much for a Zelda game, especially if all three/four worlds were big overworlds, in other words, just two big overworlds is enough for them to work. After all, they'e only human you know. You do know that making video games takes alot of hard work and effort, right?

7) The Triforce obviously still in the Sacred Realm being the reason the Dark World will be present in this new game, ALBW. Just as justac00lguy said, after ALttP, the Triforce isn't in the Sacred Realm, so the Sacred Realm isn't important to evil anymore, defeating the possibilities of the Dark World ever returning after ALttP. This is what makes the fact that the Dark World will be in game the biggest impacting proof that this new game, ALBW will be before ALttP cause after ALttP, the evil forces have no reason to corrupt the sacred realm again since the Triforce wouldn't be there anymore, if they were to get their hands on Triforce again after ALttP, they would use it to corrupt Hyrule instead. Now before you say that they could just turn Hyrule into the Dark World this time, just remember what the title of this new game is, "A Link Between Worlds". The title itself even confirms that the Dark World is still separate from the Light World and the even the Triforce Logo in the title confirms that Triforce will be still be in the Dark World. Anyways, that is all I to say about that for now, moving on.

8) Nintendo's E3 page for ALBW originally called the game a sequel during E3 last week, however, Nintendo removed to the term "sequel" from the page just after Aonuma confirmed that the game will take place in a different era with a different generation of Link and Zelda.

Now let's look at the evidence that backs up the after ALttP idea:

1) The interview with Bill Trinen

2) Edge Interview with Aonuma which was before E3, before Aonuma's more recent interview with Kotaku, before Nintendo removed the term "sequel" from the ALBW page on their E3 site, which is obviously before that considering at the time of that interview, their E3 site was still in countdown mode at the time.

3) The "Triforce of the Gods 2" and "A Link to the Past 2" placeholder names the game was originally being called by which was debunked by the similar thing happening before with a certain other Zelda game I like to call Twilight Princess as I've explained earlier in the post.

Anyways there's all the evidence I can think of out of what I know for now. I think we can all pretty much confirm there are huge possibilities that ALBW will before ALttP unless if it ends up taking place on different or alternate timeline, which at this point I'd say is unlikely considering Nintendo did confirm that it does take place in the same world as ALttP, which could not only mean same overworld but also same timeline.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, that is all I have to say for now, my hands are getting tired from typing and copying and pasting all this stuff. *sigh*

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
1) There's nothing stopping the DW from coming back, though I agree that it isn't a good idea to bring it back. The Triforce not being there is a good point, but a little detail like that wouldn't stop the writers from creating a reason. Consider that before SS it was implied that OoT was the first time the Triforce ever left the SR. Despite the rigid 'limitations' imposed by OoT, LttP, TP, and more, they still managed to come up with a story for SS.
2) Yep, I noticed that as well when that trailer was released and I also thought it'd be a prequel before it was confirmed otherwise.
3) The design of the Hylian Shield evolves over our time, not over Hyrulean time. Think of it as a retcon.
4) What do the dungeons being different have to do with whether the game takes place earlier or later?
5) Yes that would be interesting. It's not evidence to support your case though. It's just as likely that the surprise involves the Dark World returning. Who knows?

I see a couple in-universe oddities if LBW is a sequel which can easily be retconned or handwaved, and I also see Aonuma and others consistently referring to the game as a sequel, and I'm inclined to listen to the Word of God.

So if we say it's a sequel to A Link to the Past, it's easier for players to understand where we're coming from and our starting point for this story. It also felt like that story was really well suited for a sequel.
- Aonuma @ Eurogamer, June 14

It's the same world. It's the same space. But in the same way that, over time, the topography can change, there will be some changes. The land will be affected a little bit.
- Aonuma @ Kotaku, June 14

Consistently throughout this interview (June 6th)

(and the rest that you posted already)

And fyi, using linethroughs doesn't undo what you've typed, and repeating yourself will only encourage people to skip over your post.

VitaTempusN92

1) There's nothing stopping the DW from coming back, though I agree that it isn't a good idea to bring it back. The Triforce not being there is a good point, but a little detail like that wouldn't stop the writers from creating a reason. Consider that before SS it was implied that OoT was the first time the Triforce ever left the SR. Despite the rigid 'limitations' imposed by OoT, LttP, TP, and more, they still managed to come up with a story for SS.
2) Yep, I noticed that as well when that trailer was released and I also thought it'd be a prequel before it was confirmed otherwise.
3) The design of the Hylian Shield evolves over our time, not over Hyrulean time. Think of it as a retcon.
4) What do the dungeons being different have to do with whether the game takes place earlier or later?
5) Yes that would be interesting. It's not evidence to support your case though. It's just as likely that the surprise involves the Dark World returning. Who knows?

I see a couple in-universe oddities if LBW is a sequel which can easily be retconned or handwaved, and I also see Aonuma and others consistently referring to the game as a sequel, and I'm inclined to listen to the Word of God.

- Aonuma @ Eurogamer, June 14

- Aonuma @ Kotaku, June 14

Consistently throughout this interview (June 6th)

(and the rest that you posted already)

And fyi, using linethroughs doesn't undo what you've typed, and repeating yourself will only encourage people to skip over your post.

Believe what you want. This is the last time I'm speculating on things on this site. If you want to believe that ALBW will illogically take place after ALttP, go right ahead, no is stopping you. Just don't complain if Nintendo ends up confirming ALBW's placement either between OoT and ALttP or on a new timeline we don't know about yet. I'm sorry, I know that ALBW was supposed to be a sequel to ALttP, however, as of now, I just don't see that happening. If ALBW for whatever reason does remain being placed after ALttP, then Nintendo better have a darn good reason for that, otherwise, Zelda will be dead to me. That's all I have to say.

Also, the only time when the Triforce is outside of the SR during OoT is when Link was an adult but only until the battle with Ganon regardless of victory or defeat, when Ganon was sealed away, so was the Triforce. And, since when was it implied that OoT was the first time the Triforce left the SR?

And another thing, no the Hylian shield does not just evolve over our time. In a way it actually evolves over Hylian/Hyrulean time as well, as Nintendo proven with TP, SS, and now, ALBW. Also, the shield in ALttP, OoX, and LA is not the Hylian Shield, it is the Hyrulean Shield, the shield that completely replaces the Hylian Shield when then the new Hyrulean culture is established, declining Hylia's blood, which makes sense considering the timeline mostly focused on the "decline of Hyrule" in general as the timeline eventually leads to the "Era of Decline", which occurs during the backstory for the LoZ and AoL as a new Zelda bloodline was born starting with Lesser Hyrulean Princess, Zelda the first, who was put into a deep slumber by Carock from AoL.

DeclineTimeline_zps0636b998.jpg~original

Speaking more on the evolution of the shields:

CI_70078_1351721709_zps9b4f1d11.jpg~original

Also, I think you might of missed something from the Kotaku interview:

Aonuma: "It’s not a direct sequel in the sense that it’s the same Link and Zelda. The world is the same and it might be a different generation of Link and Zelda."

He said different, not new, "different". Also, after that interview, as I've said countless amount of times, Nintendo removed the term "sequel" from their E3 webpage for ALBW. Unfortunately, I don't have proof of that exactly, but I know I saw that their E3 webpage used to consider ALBW a sequel, but later, when I checked back after the kotaku interview, I noticed the term "sequel" was removed. Why would they do that?

Also, as for the Eurogamer interview, that might've been directly before the Kotaku interview but on the same day. Honestly, I think it'd be best not to listen to Nintendo about the direction for the game until it is closer to game's development being finished where Nintendo is actually sure about the game's direction and when it will take place on the timeline. Which is why since it is obvious ALBW is still in it's beta stages, I personally don't see it coming out this year. You should never jump to 100 percent confirmed conclusions over what is confirmed so far about a game that is still in development, especially when it comes to Nintendo games, as Nintendo is known to change direction of story and placement in timeline during development of their games until they draw to the conclusion of what makes the best logical sense to them. All else I got to say is, remember what happened to what was originally supposed to be "Wind Waker 2", the game that later came out to be what we now know of as "Twilight Princess". I believe their doing the similar thing with a ALBW that they did with TP.

Anyways, That's all I have to say for now.

Last edited:

67ghost

no you're not
I think that the surprise will be battling Ganon as the tutorial then a cut scene of Ganon winning creating the downfall timeline .

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
VitaTempusN92 I think you're getting a bit too heated with all this discussion, it's a theory at the moment, people are going to disagree. You have raised some good points, though I would label most as not fully supporting your theory -- the only argument I see is the DW, as Locke mentioned, it can easily reappear in the future, basically it is illogical but there is nothing stopping if from returning. If Nintendo wanted to they could easily retcon in such a plot.

However, it's a losing battle trying to fight "factual" information. There have been several incidents now where this game has been labelled as a sequel, Ok so not only did Bill Trinen confirm the game takes place after, we now know it's not a direct sequel.

"It’s not a direct sequel in the sense that it’s the same Link and Zelda. The world is the same and it might be a different generation of Link and Zelda."​

Now he does say "different" but you are looking at this from a biased perspective, he is referring to the fact that this game is a sequel, he says different in terms of that this game is not a direct sequel, but an "indirect" sequel -- later backed up by a different generation of Link and Zelda. He's discussing this from the standpoint that he's confirming that A Link Between Worlds is not a direct sequel. He isn't hinting at a prequel.

"Rather than forcing elements of the original story into this one, we’ve instead focused on bringing back the characters, so you can see what happened to them after the events of the first game.”​

This would be the pivotal point that disapproves your theory in my opinion. Once again a recent statement from Anouma himself, notice how I bolded after... He's not referring to before in any sense he's looking onwards from A Link to the Past . Now i have a theory like I said before about time travel, but it's a very weak one considering the evidence but I think that saying this game is a prequel is slightly redundant now, there is simply too much concrete evidence to go against your arguments.

Last edited:

Gomp

Love, loving life!
So glad to see fellow fans musing on this..

I get butchered every time I mention it in the comment fields on ZD .. But there really seems to be something to this theory! ..

I am guessing "link between worlds" might have something to do with some kind of linking of different game worlds. Not just the one from ALTP ..

And of course that would involve traveling in time.

Going to be really interesting to play this game! :)

VitaTempusN92

I think we should just wait until more is confirmed about the game and when the game is released to find out cause otherwise it just leads to arguments like this one that has been going on lately. I've already decided to stop talking about my ideas on this site since my theories keep getting argued upon like crazy, like my theory about Demise and Shadow Link, my ALBW theory, and some others in the past.

Salem

SICK
I've already decided to stop talking about my ideas on this site since my theories keep getting argued upon like crazy, like my theory about Demise and Shadow Link, my ALBW theory, and some others in the past.
I think you're taking these discussions way to personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom