• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zombie. Apocalypse. Please.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I feel like in a metaphorical or spiritual sense, we're already living through one. However, I have to say that a zombie apocalypse would not be my preferred sort of disaster to live through.

If I had to pick something, I think I would pick a scenario where I somehow lived through chemical or biological warfare, and then waited until the viruses or chemicals had died/dissipated.

I think it could be fascinating, because all the infrastructure would be left intact, but a lot of people would be dead. Let's assume whatever this is kills maybe 90% of the population, so we go from 6 billion people in the world to 6 million. So the survivors would be wandering around trying to find each other in suddenly very empty/deserted towns, and you would have remnants of governments attempting to maintain order/control in whatever small areas they still had enough personnel to administer.

The reason this scenario would be interesting is because it would leave infrastructure intact, meaning that the remaining people could congregate in certain areas and keep civilization going in various pockets. Things wouldn't get destroyed or used up as quickly as in a zombie apocalypse, the only issue over time would the lack of people to maintain infrastructure that wasn't being used. It would delay many problems... the problems created by automation, the problems of food production, etc. We would have enough capacity to accommodate everyone for quite a while until the population returned to previous levels.

It would also be interesting to see if some areas lost more people than others, and what the impact of that would be... maybe a few small cities would have all their population survive, and some large cities would become ghost towns, so that decades later, that small town is now better known than the previous city, etc.

Do I honestly want something like this to happen? Probably not. But would I find it fascinating or be really curious to see how it plays out? Definitely.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I feel like in a metaphorical or spiritual sense, we're already living through one. However, I have to say that a zombie apocalypse would not be my preferred sort of disaster to live through.

If I had to pick something, I think I would pick a scenario where I somehow lived through chemical or biological warfare, and then waited until the viruses or chemicals had died/dissipated.

I think it could be fascinating, because all the infrastructure would be left intact, but a lot of people would be dead. Let's assume whatever this is kills maybe 90% of the population, so we go from 6 billion people in the world to 6 million. So the survivors would be wandering around trying to find each other in suddenly very empty/deserted towns, and you would have remnants of governments attempting to maintain order/control in whatever small areas they still had enough personnel to administer.

The reason this scenario would be interesting is because it would leave infrastructure intact, meaning that the remaining people could congregate in certain areas and keep civilization going in various pockets. Things wouldn't get destroyed or used up as quickly as in a zombie apocalypse, the only issue over time would the lack of people to maintain infrastructure that wasn't being used. It would delay many problems... the problems created by automation, the problems of food production, etc. We would have enough capacity to accommodate everyone for quite a while until the population returned to previous levels.

It would also be interesting to see if some areas lost more people than others, and what the impact of that would be... maybe a few small cities would have all their population survive, and some large cities would become ghost towns, so that decades later, that small town is now better known than the previous city, etc.

Do I honestly want something like this to happen? Probably not. But would I find it fascinating or be really curious to see how it plays out? Definitely.
This would likely be my form of apocalypse too. That would be probably the best of any of the worlds, with Nuclear Fallout being the worst type of apocalypse to occur. And I think it is the most likely too. It only takes one super mutated virus to get out of a biological lab, and kill most of the population. Even if it wasn't induced by warfare, this type of accident is still extremely likely.

That said: I think people forget how easy it would be to survive a zombie apocalypse. So much so, that I don't think it would even be that much of an apocalypse. Let's even give the Zombies the benefit of the doubt, and say that they are faster, and stronger than regular humans. There still remains the fact that they are very easily outsmarted, and for the most part, cannot take care of themselves within a normal basis. All I would have to do to survive a zombie apoclypse, would to whole myself up in a bunker until spring. Assuming we have a normal-above average winter. The Zombies would simply not be able to survive due to the snow and cold temperatures. Yes, Zombies have no sense of pain, which can keep them going for longer than any human. However, they do not have the wits nor the smarts to not stay outside most of the time, meaning that repeated snow fall could bury the zombies until spring. Of which point, a large majority of zombies have died due to lack of food.

Plus there is the fact of the matter: People always talk about swarms of zombies.... But really? Is this the case. Yes, if you are living in a huge city like Chicago or New York or something. Yeah you are ****ed through and through. But all I would need to do in a zombie apocalypse, is just go down to a town over, which is a pretty big town, but only with a population of about 300 people. Just start a small farm there for food, there is creek for water, and I can just build fences to keep out the small groups of zombies that decide to pass buy. I mean, this really isn't rocket science here, and I could take care of most of the threats that could come my way, and perhaps even start a family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom