• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild ZI's 5 Things ZeldaU Should Take from Ocarina of Time

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
5 Things Zelda U Should Take From Ocarina of Time

The five things were: Implementing a Fairy Companion, Sense of Wonder, Magic Obtained through Fairy Fountains, Ultimate Evil's Ever Involved Presence, and Multiple Villages and Towns

Although this is a repost, the content being related to OoT naturally got me interested. I found this via my Facebook feed btw :)

What are your opinions? What do you think ZeldaU should take from OoT - if anything at all?

Salem

SICK
Implementing a Fairy Companion: NO, no companions at ALL, enough said.

Sense of Wonder:what does that even mean?

Magic Obtained through Fairy Fountains:It may be nice to have, but not the top of my priority list

Ultimate Evil's Ever Involved Presence:YES, a thousand times YES, we need consistent reminder that evil exists and is willing to kill us, alttp, lot were good implementations of this.

Multiple Villages and Towns:As long as they're all unique.

No fairy companion I have never liked companions they are incredibly annoying.
The sense of wonder is very difficult to achieve these days and it is a matter of opinion.
I agree with everything else.

OmenBlite

OmenBlite
1. No thank you--- it's been done three times, and three is enough.

2. Definitely.

3. Certainly, though fairy fountains aren't a necessity; in fact, I'd like to see it branch off from that.

4. Yes, though I think tWW, TP and SS apply more to this than OoT.

5. Once again yes, though I still fail to see how Ocarina of time applies any more than TP, SS, tWW, or even ST.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I hate to be dismissive, but this article read like a person who didn't really have anything to say, but said a lot anyway. None of these things are inherent features of Ocarina of Time, and are all pretty basic things that Zelda games historically include. He may as well have said that they should borrow a green-clad hero named Link, the use of the sword as a weapon, a variety of items to assist in combat and puzzle solving, a series of dungeons that the player must traverse, and an overworld from A Link to the Past.

If we want to actually dig into less basic topics and concepts that the game should take from Ocarina of Time, then I think we'll find that Ocarina of Time doesn't really have things that the series should take from it other than its basic framework. There are no radical and unique gameplay elements in Ocarina of Time - instead, the game simply lays a simple foundation upon which the series has expanded with additional concepts, such as masks and the three-day cycle in Majora's Mask, sailing as a method of overworld navigation in The Wind Waker, Wolf Link in Twilight Princess, and the Sky and Wii Motion Plus in Skyward Sword. Looking back to Ocarina of Time for inspiration is akin to looking to a pencil for writing advice.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Got to say that I agree with Garo more or less entirely; this list is made up things which aren't unique to Ocarina of Time and can mostly be found in almost every Zelda game. I also agree that Zelda U shouldn't take any specific lessons from Ocarina of Time because I feel, as Garo does, that Ocarina provides a basic framework for 3D Zelda and that the later games in the series have built upon it in interesting and creative ways to provide unique and imaginative gameplay experiences.

One thing I will say is that, while I would love for Zelda U to have a more involved villain, I personally would never have held Ocarina up as an example of that. The writer, in the actual article, comes up with three points in the story that involved Ganondorf and that was it. Considering that Ocarina of Time is (on your first go at least) about 30-40 hours long, perhaps longer, these individual moments are far spaced out with a lots of events taking place in between. And sure, Ganondorf might get mentioned from time to time outside of the examples given but that's no different to A Link to the Past when every dungeon ended with a speech about Ganon, or Skyward Sword whenever Ghirahim shows up and never fails to mention his master, Demise. I know the article asks for the "ultimate evil" to be more present but, personally, I'd be just as happy with Zelda U doing things similar to how Twilight Princess handled Zant. Zant was ever-present and got invovled a lot in the first half of the adventure, we were introduced to the idea that there was a higher power behind him early on but it was left vague and mysterious enough for us to not be certain this "God" will replace him, and his behaviour and actions change in the second half as Link defies him more and more, so we see the player's actions having an effect on him. Skyward Sword doesn't come close to this (for reasons I have gone over at length in past threads and so will not include here) but just because it didn't do it as well doesn't mean the villains were not just as present, arguably more so than in Twilight Princess. If you ask me, Zelda is on track with making the presence of its villains known and Ocarina of Time has nothing to do with it.

Salem

SICK
I hate to be dismissive, but this article read like a person who didn't really have anything to say, but said a lot anyway. None of these things are inherent features of Ocarina of Time, and are all pretty basic things that Zelda games historically include. He may as well have said that they should borrow a green-clad hero named Link, the use of the sword as a weapon, a variety of items to assist in combat and puzzle solving, a series of dungeons that the player must traverse, and an overworld from A Link to the Past.

If we want to actually dig into less basic topics and concepts that the game should take from Ocarina of Time, then I think we'll find that Ocarina of Time doesn't really have things that the series should take from it other than its basic framework. There are no radical and unique gameplay elements in Ocarina of Time

Got to say that I agree with Garo more or less entirely; this list is made up things which aren't unique to Ocarina of Time and can mostly be found in almost every Zelda game. I also agree that Zelda U shouldn't take any specific lessons from Ocarina of Time because I feel, as Garo does, that Ocarina provides a basic framework for 3D Zelda and that the later games in the series have built upon it in interesting and creative ways to provide unique and imaginative gameplay experiences.

Yes it's true, OoT os the most "basic" 3D Zelda game of all, other than the time travel element, there's nothing that sets it apart from the rest, although that can be considered it'a biggest strength.

It also seems to have a faster pace than the rest of the 3D Zelda game, other than the ramblings of Navi, the owl and the slow text speed in general in cutscenes, it's very straight to the point, if there's one thing that the Wii U Zelda should take from OoT, it is that.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
I agree with everything pretty much except for a fairy companion.
We really don't need a fairy companion again, we've already had one for a couple of games. Something new would be much preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom