• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild ZI Says Zelda U Will Drop Motion Controls!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So Long Motion Controls: Wind Waker HD Controls being Adapted to Zelda U

Wind Waker is kind of a test pattern for the team. In converting Wind Waker, there’s a lot to be learned. We can’t change too much, because in changing one thing you can break something else, which is not something we want to do. But it’s a shared team working on both of those projects, Wind Waker HD and the new Zelda for Wii U. Every day, they’re learning something new.

As we develop the controls for Wind Waker, they’re learning how to apply those controls in the Wii U version. There’s a feedback process where when something’s discovered in development for Wind Waker, all that information is fed to the Wii U team. So we’re working on those things, polishing as we go, and all of those things — it’s a learning process, it’s a test case almost, and we’ll apply all of those learnings that we’ve acquired in developing the Wii U game.

Are you as excited as I am to hear this? I know it's not direct confirmation, but it seems like very possible that they will be dropping motion controls.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That quote confirms nothing. It barely even hints at anything. All it says is that they're applying things (obviously gyro and whatnot) to the upcoming Zelda game on the Wii U. Unless we get an official announcement confirming otherwise, I'm banking on the Big N allowing multiple control schemes for Zelda Wii U. It only seems logical, given how practically every exclusive we've seen coming out for the system is doing just that.

Typical ZI jumping to conclusions. What a horrible site.

Last edited:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I'm not super excited as this probably wont come true like JJ said, but I have hopes. I like the classic controller, and I never really liked the motion controls, so I never played any game that had them (aside from SS). I hope they drop the motion controls, but that will likely never happen, seeing as Zelda is moving into a more "modern" direction, and everyone will be using motion controls now.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I would count on no motion controls--Zelda U, I imagine, would attempt to innovate as much as possible with the Wii U Gamepad, and I can't think of a possible way to use motion controls simultaneously with the Gamepad.

Big Octo

=^)
I think ZI got the wrong message out of the quote. As much as I'd like to see Motion Controls go and never come back, this selection far from confirms it. I will really be excited if Nintendo says "Zelda U will not use Wii Motion Plus."

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm not super excited as this probably wont come true like JJ said, but I have hopes. I like the classic controller, and I never really liked the motion controls, so I never played any game that had them (aside from SS). I hope they drop the motion controls, but that will likely never happen, seeing as Zelda is moving into a more "modern" direction, and everyone will be using motion controls now.

Why would you hope for that if they could allow multiple options? There are those of us out there who would actually like to see the return of the Wii MotionPlus, you know... as well as try out the multiple schemes lol.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why would you hope for that if they could allow multiple options? There are those of us out there who would actually like to see the return of the Wii MotionPlus, you know... as well as try out the multiple schemes lol.

Not speaking for Rain, but for me, Because motion controls are tedious. Because motion controls necessitate either a) being watered down or b) creating a game based around motion controls. It's comparable to playing a racing game with keyboard/mouse; you really do NEED to use a controller because racing games just aren't made for KB/Mouse.

Salem

SICK
Although I liked SS' motion controls, I wouldn't mind if they dropped them for the Wii U Zelda, mainly because I like the possibilities of the Gamepad more.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Not speaking for Rain, but for me, Because motion controls are tedious. Because motion controls necessitate either a) being watered down or b) creating a game based around motion controls. It's comparable to playing a racing game with keyboard/mouse; you really do NEED to use a controller because racing games just aren't made for KB/Mouse.

Yeah, except none of that is true. :/

Garo

Boy Wonder
I really and truly hope that - even though I don't really think the quote points that way - they are correct in their assumption that Zelda Wii U will be dropping motion controls. Not only because I do not like the motion controls exhibited (yes, exhibited) by Skyward Sword, but also because I really want to see the game make interesting use of the Wii U GamePad. Using motion controls in tandem with the GamePad would be tedious (having to manage three physical controllers, the Wii Remote, Nunchuk, and GamePad? No thank you), and using solely motion controls would eliminate the GamePad altogether. Allowing options for both would result in a significantly sub-optimal experience for one of the two control schemes, as well as forcing the other one to make certain concessions to account for abilities the other scheme does not have.

No motion controls means that they can focus on doing interesting things with the GamePad. Motion controls would restrict that, and I don't want them to restrict themselves by clinging to a control scheme I didn't even enjoy the first time around.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Using motion controls in tandem with the GamePad would be tedious (having to manage three physical controllers, the Wii Remote, Nunchuk, and GamePad? No thank you)

Who said anything about using them in tandem with each other?

...and using solely motion controls would eliminate the GamePad altogether. ...No motion controls means that they can focus on doing interesting things with the GamePad. Motion controls would restrict that...

How? All of the GamePad's functions that would be available for use would still be kept in tact. The gyro controls, the accellerometer, the touch screen... none of the GamePad's cool features would be restricted just because of motion controls. That's just a bona fide fact, and it's something I've gone over multiple times.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I doubt they'll include motion controls, really. If it's been made from the ground-up for the Wii U, which it more than likely has, then it'll purely use what the Wii U has to offer, which will be the Gamepad. Adding in motion controls will drive up development costs, necessitate the tampering of game elements in order to fit with motion control swordplay, a whole new sub-control engine will have to be designed since it features a radical new level of input range, so it's not like swapping between controller and keyboard/mouse, and coupled with that, the Wii U doesn't even have a Wiimote with Motion Plus, it has a Gamepad.

The way I see it, if Nintendo wanted to continue motion controls, they wouldn't have a Gamepad. We'd have the Wii Remote 2. But we don't, we have the Gamepad. That said, I'd like to see both options really, it would be nice, but, seriously doubt it. It all hinges on if you think Nintendo would spend a lot of money on a secondary control scheme.

Although I think ZI's jumped the gun, a lot. Getting a bit over-excited and trying to break some amazing news story without much to go on. Very misleading, perhaps deliberately for views.

This means nothing. Certainly there are arguments regarding the likelihood (or lack thereof) of Wii Motion Plus being featured in Zelda Wii U, but ZI will never be one of them. xP

Me myself, I'm still hopeful, but regardless of the control-scheme used it ought to be good.

I doubt they'll include motion controls, really. If it's been made from the ground-up for the Wii U, which it more than likely has, then it'll purely use what the Wii U has to offer, which will be the Gamepad. Adding in motion controls will drive up development costs, necessitate the tampering of game elements in order to fit with motion control swordplay, a whole new sub-control engine will have to be designed since it features a radical new level of input range, so it's not like swapping between controller and keyboard/mouse, and coupled with that, the Wii U doesn't even have a Wiimote with Motion Plus, it has a Gamepad.

The way I see it, if Nintendo wanted to continue motion controls, they wouldn't have a Gamepad. We'd have the Wii Remote 2. But we don't, we have the Gamepad. That said, I'd like to see both options really, it would be nice, but, seriously doubt it. It all hinges on if you think Nintendo would spend a lot of money on a secondary control scheme.
The thing about that is that Nintendo has intentionally included the Wii Motion Plus remotes in their advertising with the Wii U. The system being compatible with the old Wiimote was an intentional selling point, and all of their advertisements in the beginning showed that it could use both, even in tandem. It's not really the same case as with previous systems; they've clearly indicated they want people to use both. It's more about controller diversity than anything else with the Wii U, from what I've seen; GamePad, Wii Motion Plus, Pro Controller. Pikmin 3, also, has been designed to use Wii Motion Plus as its default controller, although it's compatible with other ones.

The reason there's some serious likelihood of it continuing to use the motion controls is the fact that Nintendo has in the past indicated that they pretty much love this style and think it really suits Zelda. It certainly helps enhance the fantasy of an adventure game for those who didn't struggle with "responsiveness".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom