• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U - Overworld Wants

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
We talked a lot about how the overworld in Zelda Wii U should be like and this is what I want. Pictures below, I want Elder Scrolls over world size or bigger if possible, I want forests where you can explore (not linear like in past Zelda games), I want hidden caves with items, mysterious swamps, an ocean where you will have to ride a raft to a temple and other islands (like a mix with Wind Waker but not as important of course), and secret temples in Hyrule.

This will be the first HD Zelda of course and I think Nintendo has huge potential to make this the biggest and best Zelda game ever!

Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Mountains.jpg 93460520070919screen001.jpg

What do you guys hope for/think about this?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
A world the size of one from and Elder Scrolls game sounds like overindulgence. Fast travel has never really been a thing in Zelda, as it's always had a warping system, so I would imagine warping around the land would become extremely tedious due to it being so large. I'd much rather have something more along the lines of Xenoblade Chronicles' overworld size. It was large, but not so large that it was a burden to traverse. I'd be all for that.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Morrowind was a smaller map, just under 10 square miles (vs Skyrim's 14.5 and Oblivion's 22). From estimates I've seen, having a Zelda overworld that was even five square miles would be a giant increase in size vs even TP.

Deeds

no text
As I've said previously, I've always wanted a large overworld in Zelda games. Now it's entering a HD, next-gen console, I'm really excited to se what they'll implement into it, that they couldn't implement in previous titles. Hopefully an adventurous overworld.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
1) To be filled with enemies.

2) To be able to WALK in our overworld.

3) A good warp system like TP had.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Big worlds aren't the key to this IMO, a content rich world is. Even if the world is only as small as 3 square miles (which is still a huge increase compared to other zelda games) as long as it has interesting content everywhere so we have something to do is the key. You had something going there with hidden caverns, oceans/lakes we can ride rafts to small islands we can explore etc.

This is a really good idea I'm hoping to see in ZU, there is nothing more boring IMO than a really huge world that just hasn't got anything in it. It sure is beautiful at first but gets really boring after a while, take TWW for an example, the great sea is indeed huge but 100%'ing that game can be done in less than 11 hours of playing, we can even see this in the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic, same thing here but worse; HUGE worlds but take ages to get from point A. to point B. and they have almost nothing to do in them.

So ideal thing to do is have a world maybe twice the size of TWW's great sea that isn't the same environment everywhere obviously, we need to have some geological variety. So instead of expanding the world even more I'd love to see the Wii U's memory capabilities getting pushed to the limit by completely filling every square inch (not literally) of the map with side quests like hidden caverns, world bosses, side stories like we saw in MM, optional dungeons, the classical heart pieces on a much grander scale etc. etc.

Deeds

no text
Big worlds aren't the key to this IMO, a content rich world is. Even if the world is only as small as 3 square miles (which is still a huge increase compared to other zelda games) as long as it has interesting content everywhere so we have something to do is the key. You had something going there with hidden caverns, oceans/lakes we can ride rafts to small islands we can explore etc.

This is a really good idea I'm hoping to see in ZU, there is nothing more boring IMO than a really huge world that just hasn't got anything in it. It sure is beautiful at first but gets really boring after a while, take TWW for an example, the great sea is indeed huge but 100%'ing that game can be done in less than 11 hours of playing, we can even see this in the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic, same thing here but worse; HUGE worlds but take ages to get from point A. to point B. and they have almost nothing to do in them.

So ideal thing to do is have a world maybe twice the size of TWW's great sea that isn't the same environment everywhere obviously, we need to have some geological variety. So instead of expanding the world even more I'd love to see the Wii U's memory capabilities getting pushed to the limit by completely filling every square inch (not literally) of the map with side quests like hidden caverns, world bosses, side stories like we saw in MM, optional dungeons, the classical heart pieces on a much grander scale etc. etc.
Yeah, I understand that in my post I didn't really state what should actually be in this large world. I think that if there's an expansive overworld, there should be expansive features in it. Minigames, sidequests, maybe even random Hylian's houses that you can just walk into, with every character having something to say, or something wanted.

Like JJ, i think for Zelda size isn't the issue of an overworld, its the design and care put into it and how much of an adventure the overworld makes you feel that you're a part of. Something huge like Skyrim and the rest of it just feel soulless and seem to be under the impression that more is a better thing for an adventure game when, like TP, the overworld is largely unused, however beautiful it may be there just isn't anything to do unless you dream up your own odd and rewardless acts of leisure (like using the ball and chain to go Rider Moblin bowling)

For me Zelda doesn't need huge overworlds and I think Xenoblade Chronicles had the right idea of an overworld, it felt big but you didnt spend hours traversing it to accomplish one goal. Shadow of the Colossus also had the right idea, the overworld itself wasnt big but it used dead space to give the feeling that it was, the bridge near the temple for example.

So for and overworld in Zelda U i'd like an overworld with some decent design and lush environments, i don't even care what they put in it as long as it looks amazing and is a joy to traverse and not boring as hell.

L

LinktheSkyChild

Any of these ideas could be improved simply with the addition of more content, as has been redundantly stated. Seriously, though, I wish that they would revisit the sky overworld and do away with Hyrule, or at least some kind of alternative. Hyrule is becoming grossly overused. I still love it, but it's bland to re-explore the same country all the time. Perhaps they could create a Hyrule as we all know, but as one of many small countries. I don't want the overworld so large that it subtracts from graphics, content, character design, etcetera, simply by the amount of power it would take to create this world, though, I want a large world, maybe 1.5 square miles per country, with 6-10 countries that are all greatly varied and all feel fresh and new. Keep the overworld puzzle design from Skyward Sword, but don't make it frustratingly myriadical. I would love to see a Dark World.

Pen

The game is on!
I want forests where you can explore (not linear like in past Zelda games), I want hidden caves with items, mysterious swamps, an ocean where you will have to ride a raft to a temple and other islands (like a mix with Wind Waker but not as important of course), and secret temples in Hyrule.

I most certainly agree with you, Dukusword. I think an overworld like that would be splendid. I haven't played the Elder Scrolls games myself, but what you just described sounds very similar to the Frontier in Assassin's Creed III (which, by the way, is an exceptionally well designed area in an exceptionally good game).

AC3_SC_SP_19_Frontier_Canoe_ONLINE.jpg

Frontier_in_Spring.jpg

This will be the first HD Zelda of course and I think Nintendo has huge potential to make this the biggest and best Zelda game ever!

Indeed! I really hope they make this a great one. A game that will satisfy all Zelda fans. And they shouldn't haste it. :)

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I like the Twilight princes over world really. But I would like something more interactive.. maybe something that will require me to use a canoe or swing off a vine... you know what i mean?? Though this game if Epona is in this one I'm an seriously craving for some horseback combat!! more horse things please!! those were my favorite things to do in the entire game!!

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
I just don't want Zelda to suffer Skyrim syndrome... vast overworld, but nothing to do in it and just taking over an hour to traverse from one side of the map to the next... luckily, Zelda games typically have a nice warping system, so I'm not too worried about this. A huge variety of enemies and overworld bosses should prevent any problems with the overworld.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i'd like to see more exploration options in the over world, with more secret ledges, caves, and holes to explore. even though in the past there have been plenty, i'd like to see more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom