• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U Multiplayer - Nintendo Response

G

Griffion

Hello. So my first post... what to say. Well I have something pretty interesting. I hope you guys think so. I have been think of the recent Nintendo Direct of January 23, 2013, where Mr. Aonuma mentioned "Rethinking the Conventions of Zelda". As you all should know one of those conventions was: play by yourself. When he said this I thought of multiplayer. I want Zelda as a singleplayer experience, but if there is multiplayer I don't want another Four Swords or PH and ST type multiplayer. I came up with my own ideas and sent them to nintendo to see what they would say. If you could please read to see what I think Zelda Wii U multiplayer should be like and what Nitendo had to say.

Please read the ORIGINAL POST before the reply from Nintendo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Consumer Service

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your comments with us. Its great to hear from huge The Legend of Zelda fans like myself. I’ll make sure that what you said about future Zelda games will be forwarded, so your feedback will be heard. While I can’t guarantee that we’ll make the type of changes you suggested, we do take all feedback into consideration.
You can be sure that Nintendo is constantly at work developing new and exciting product and game ideas.

Keep checking our website's “What’s New” section (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew) for the latest information and announcements.

Sincerely,
Brian McFarlane

Nintendo of America Inc.

--- Original Message ---

Subject: Rethinking the "Conventions" of Zelda

From a huge Legend of Zelda fan.

Dear, Sir or Madam.

My name is Anthony and I am a huge fan of The Legend of Zelda.
I know many fans probably do what I am about to do and send game
recommendations to you, but I feel Nintendo should listen more to fan
ideas. I had watched the Nintendo Direct of January 23, 2013. Mr. Aonuma,
the producer of the series, talked about "Rethinking the Conventions of Zelda"
and seeming to mention a way for more people to play Zelda instead of only
one. I would rather not have another Four Swords games, and I don't
think the majority of fans would, so I had some ideas of multiplayer options
that can hopefully be kept as ideas or actually applied in a Zelda game! I
feel most fans would like some kind of online multiplayer, and so my ideas
apply to that.
I have always found Zelda to be a singleplayer experience and would
rather not have that change to, for example, one person using the Wii U
gamepad and one person with the pro controller for singleplayer. I have two
multiplayer ideas I would like to share. First I would like to share my idea
of a multiplayer mode that needs less explanation. I have thought of a mode
where you can connect with at least one other person online to complete a
co-op dungeon. There can be several different dungeons exclusive to
multiplayer and made with co-op in mind. There can be different
difficulties for the dungeons to add extra replay value, and new dungeons
could be added via Dowloadable Content.
This second idea will need some more detail. The idea doesn't really
fit Zelda, but I believe Nintendo can make it feel more like Zelda than
anybody. The idea is a team deathmatch style mode. Maybe there could be at
least 8 players per match; four versus four (4v4). If character models are
not different, then everybody could be different colored Link's, similar to
Four Swords. Everybody would play with a standard sword and shield for main
battle. Items can be unlocked or bought with earned money. Items can be the
ones you receive in the singleplayer (i.g. Using the hookshot to pull
enemies toward you, Bow and Arrow to snipe enemies that are further away).
Maybe even magic can be used (i.g. Din's Fire similar to Ocarina of Time).
Hearts can be used for health just like in singleplayer, maybe up to six
hearts or more. After defeating an enemy, they could drop a heart or magic.
There can be different environmental maps of different sizes; big and small.
To make this mode feel even more like a Zelda experience, One Epona
could be spawned in a random spot of the map at anytime during the match. A
lucky player could find her and use her to fight, similar to Twilight
Princess. She could also be faster so the person riding is harder to hit.
This could actually be used to add more gameplay elements. An example of
that is, Epona being to fast to hit the rider up close. Enemies could take
the offensive and use the Bow and Arrow to snipe the rider off the horse. If
the rider is knocked off, Epona would disappear, again, only showing up
once a game. There could be even more game elements added just like my
Epona idea to give the multiplayer more of a Zelda feel. I wouldn't want Zelda
feeling like a clone of Call of Duty or other 1st and 3rd person shooting
games these days.
There can be so much more thought put into this to make a great
multiplayer experience for Zelda Wii U, and I hope you like and appreciate my
ideas even if it isn't possible to consider them. Of course I am just one fan
telling what I would like to see, when this might not please everybody, but
what really will please them. I can guarantee another Four Swords won't and
most might agree Zelda is meant to be a singleplayer experience, but
if multiplayer
will be added, I hope my ideas can contribute in some way, shape, or form.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
A Loyal Zelda Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what do you guys think of my ideas. If you like them, say something. Maybe we can get Nintendo to llok into this even further. If not then sorry. Thank you everybody.

B

BaZingaLink

Dlc dungeons. I like it. Or unlocking them through side quest completion

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
DLC Dungeons sounds perfect - Nintendo or at least IS knows what they're doing in terms of DLC. Just stuff to give the game more longevity, not that the base title should need anymore. :3

G

Griffion

Level Editor?

I personally think a level editor is better for the New Super Mario Bros games. Hopefully they will do that in the next one. I just don't see that being good for zelda. We all have our opinions though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally think a level editor is better for the New Super Mario Bros games. Hopefully they will do that in the next one. I just don't see that being good for zelda. We all have our opinions though.

Having a level editor would be hard to implement for a 3D title. Without the ability to insert things and without the free range of a mouse, hwo would dungeons be made? :I

G

Griffion

That is kinda what I was thinking. That is why I said NSMB. Does anybody have any opinions on my team death match idea? :P

Having a level editor would be hard to implement for a 3D title. Without the ability to insert things and without the free range of a mouse, hwo would dungeons be made? :I

Lego Indiana Jones and SSBB mashed together. Or the edit tools in Bryce 7... if anyone else knows what that is :P

First of all I do not like the idea of DLC in Zelda. It's great that there should be extra dungeons, but either have them in the game and unlock them via completing other dungeons, or don't have them at all. unlocking dungeons within the game is better than DLC because You don't have to pay extra just to do more dungeons and also by unlocking dungeons, you also add replay value. Would you rather pay more money to do more dungeons or complete dungeons in order to unlock more dungeons?

Now about the first concept idea in General... I guess it could work, but I don't see this happening as such. What I see happening is two players completing a Dungeon similar to the cave of ordeals rather than a full on dungeon. You would fight hordes of monsters and then at the end of the level you fight a full on Boss. I guess it's similar to the Take 'Em All On! game in Spirit Tracks, only you gain the ability to play with someone else online.

About the second Concept, I'm not too keen on buying items and transferring items from single player, I think they should act as item drops in the actual match, or have item blocks/panels where you randomly get a item when you walk over them. and I honestly think it will just be Links on foot fighting with items, spells, combat. I don't see Epona being implemented and I doubt the combat will be similar to 3D Zeldas, it will probably be more of a overhead camera perspective kind of gameplay.

Overall they are good concept ideas, but this is heavily focused on Multiplayer and although Aonuma talked about the convention of playing by yourself, I think they were more on the lines of the main quest rather than a separate mode. Furthermore I don't think Nintendo will put most of their time in a full on online multiplayer mode when Single Player is the core aspect of Zelda.

G

Griffion

First of all I do not like the idea of DLC in Zelda. It's great that there should be extra dungeons, but either have them in the game and unlock them via completing other dungeons, or don't have them at all. unlocking dungeons within the game is better than DLC because You don't have to pay extra just to do more dungeons and also by unlocking dungeons, you also add replay value. Would you rather pay more money to do more dungeons or complete dungeons in order to unlock more dungeons?

Now about the first concept idea in General... I guess it could work, but I don't see this happening as such. What I see happening is two players completing a Dungeon similar to the cave of ordeals rather than a full on dungeon. You would fight hordes of monsters and then at the end of the level you fight a full on Boss. I guess it's similar to the Take 'Em All On! game in Spirit Tracks, only you gain the ability to play with someone else online.

About the second Concept, I'm not too keen on buying items and transferring items from single player, I think they should act as item drops in the actual match, or have item blocks/panels where you randomly get a item when you walk over them. and I honestly think it will just be Links on foot fighting with items, spells, combat. I don't see Epona being implemented and I doubt the combat will be similar to 3D Zeldas, it will probably be more of a overhead camera perspective kind of gameplay.

Overall they are good concept ideas, but this is heavily focused on Multiplayer and although Aonuma talked about the convention of playing by yourself, I think they were more on the lines of the main quest rather than a separate mode. Furthermore I don't think Nintendo will put most of their time in a full on online multiplayer mode when Single Player is the core aspect of Zelda.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. What I had to say isn't exactly what I want from Zelda, but just some simple ideas (that are not completely thought out).

Unlocking Dungeons is a more simple idea and would be better than paying for them. I only suggested DLC because ever since first starting DLC with NSMB they have known what they are doing (Offering DLC for longitivity, not to just add more that should have been included in the first place). If Nintendo where to make these co-op dungeons like the cave of ordeals, that would be the complete opposite of what I wanted. I was suggesting full-fledged dungeons different from the singleplayer with challenging co-op based puzzles, enemies, and great bosses.

When I said buying items I meant with in-game money (like CoD points in COD). Items in a team death match multiplayer being pick-ups in-game would be cool, but like I said, my ideas weren't suppose to mean what I would like the see in a final build of these types of things. I don't understand why they can't make this type of multiplayer in full 3D, instead of overhead.

I see what you are saying when u think Aonuma thinks they should be added to the main quest. But (like I said in my very first post) I see Zelda as a singleplayer experience and don't want something like (i.g. One person with the gamepad, one person with the pro controller, or something else) taking over that singleplayer experience. That is why I came up with these idean of an online multiplayer. Cause I want a One person only Story, no Four Swords, and no PH, ST type multiplayer.

I hope you can see what I meant and understand my opinions. Of course, we all have our own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom