• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U: Demo Analysis

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
Welcome to a life-changing experience known as my analysis of the new Zelda Wii U demo shown at Geoff Keightly's Lame Awards (got that one? It was subtle. Might miss it the first time around.) I'll be dissecting every part of this magnificent meaty beast of a demo. You go into this analysis an average everyday man/woman/Aaron and come out doubting everything you previously knew.

No turning back now, let's get this party started.

sw9wUWE.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

N7dJ7Osl.jpg

1. Here we have a flag? That wasn't a question, it's a truth. Yes, the mighty flag. Symbolic of wind and it's eight possible directions. Due to the inclusion of the sailcloth in this game, it brings the question: Will wind play a role in this game, and will be able to change the way it moves? I don't have answers, but it could add some strategy to using your sailcloth rather than simply jumping off of anywhere and moving exactly where you intend.

2. This is a watch tower, which likely serves no other purpose other than to see your surroundings more easily. Neat.

3. And there you can see your typical three heart pieces to start the g-WAIT HOLD THE PHONE. HOLD IT. Is that--- 5 hearts!? Bu-but, Link ain't got even his green tunic bro, so this has to be early in the game. Wait, Skyward Sword started you with six hearts. Hmm, then maybe similar to Skyward Sword, we'll be seeing an increase from the typical three hearts to start off the game. Or maybe Link doesn't wear a tunic in this game-CONTROVERSY.

4. Magic meter or stamina meter. You decide. Well, not really, Nintendo does. So get off your high horse. Nah but seriously, I'm guessing Magic meter since we don't see any kind of 'sprint' mechanic like in SS, but on the other side we never see it deplete at all. So it could go either way.

BRjjoj4l.jpg

1. Waterfall in a mountain, looks puuurty.

2. Big ol' cliff! Now that is some variation in terrain, more than any other Zelda game to date.

3. Some kind of rock formation, but it plateaus in a very odd way. Almost seems like it's man-made to an extent, but it might just be a bad angle/quality video.

nnNSe2Hl.jpg

1. Mountains 'errywhere. Can't wait to 'splore 'em.

2. Looks like there's some kind of body of water down there with mist emanating from it. I wonder if you could dive all the way down there.

XXBh7Gql.png

1. Hmm, is that some kind of teleporter thing? Is this the fast travel system by teleporting using these? I don't know, but I wanna.

Go7ma0Ul.png

1. Beacons are back from Skyward Sword. I like a good smoked beacon.

sSTRIkjl.png

1. Time system is here, but it don't move at all. What is this, Kakariko Village from Ocarina of Time? Hah. Anyway, I believe the reason it isn't moving is because little Aonuma here stated he wanted to show the game at sunset. Using my flawless logic, I believe he used dev controls to make the game stay at the time of the game where the sun sets. That sneaky bastard.

2. Zoom zoom zoom.

3. Could this be the button for your item selection? Probably, yeah.

4. This is where 'numa put the beacon, and that line there shows the distance between him and the beacon. Pretty big gap, huh? I've been told that before if you know what I mean, haha (I don't).

5. So many questions, click this button for your answers. (Or just more questions). Probably just a help screen for controls and stuffs.

3cVvbXxl.jpg

All the different zoom amounts. Check it or get checked. Or do both I don't really care.

VI4Ps2hl.jpg

1. Islands!? What is this, Wind Waker? It's not, it's Zelda Wii U. Pay attention dude, we're not even halfway through the analysis. But hey, perhaps there'll be boat travel in this game. Unless you have to swim, but that'd be too wet for me.

TH0045vl.jpg

1. I spot Lake Hylia, or at least a lake that looks like the shape of it from Twilight Princess.

2. There's some red stuff, which I assume is lava, which then causes me to assume this is Death Mountain.

3. Snow area? Probs.

4. Looks kind of like a little water area. It's unlike the other water on the map since it's far more defined and looks like it goes downward into the earth. Might be Zora's Domain.

5. At first glance this looks like snow, but I'm willing to bet this is the desert area of the game.

mEuy0Lwl.png

1. Sailcloth is back and actually good this time, since it's very similar to the Deku Leaf where you can fly all around. Pretty freakin' cool if you ask me. Why didn't you ask me?

2. Cool lookin' rocks. Das about it.

3. Initially I though this was Death Mountain, but later one we'll see this is unlikely.

JyFrhSxl.png

1. Trees. Trees everywhere, and you can actually walk around them in stead of gazin' at 'em. The future is here.

DmzRM8Fl.jpg

1. Waha. Water. It's.... it's water.

2. Some kinda bird statue or watch tower? The world may never know (Until 2015 of course).

3. The fake Death Mountain strikes again. Do not be fooled by his trickery.

UsM42CYl.jpg

1. Signs of life --- a torch! Maybe this means the lantern returns... or not. Actually, that's a poor conclusion to come too since Skyward Sword had torches but no lantern. Bad Jack.

2. Something very teeny tiny back there, but I haven't the clue what it could be. Probably cool though. Hopefully. It'd be kinda cool if it was like a mollusk or something.

3ho198Sl.jpg

1. Epones. She's back and black.... haired.

hfiyKkpl.jpg

1. Controls. Left analog stick likely controls Epones, A dashes probably, and the right trigger likely is how you use your arrows. Maybe.

2. Body of water and sand. This is like the 'beach episode' of Zelda.

3. Look at that tree, we ain't ever seen a tree of this caliber in a Zelder before.

7ysTbL2l.png

Hey, it's that forest they showed off for Twilight Princess that we never got. Until now... unless this one gets cut too.

VsID940l.png

Link wears a hood when on Epona. Got something to hide, Lonk?

UyIOEnbl.png

The little skank pulled the ol' swticheroo yet again! He's... right-handed like in Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. Also sword. ALSO HE'S RIGHT-HANDED OPTIONAL MOTION CONTROLS CONFIRMED ACTUALLY THOUGH.

n5S2n5fl.jpg

1. Arrows are back, and require ammo like usual and like unusual since A Link Between World didn't have ammo. Also, notice the D-Pad icon-this is likely how you switch between different arrows. Pretty neat.

2. He's shootin'. About it really.

5d4avTel.png

1. What is this, a clip show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfJTmfq2Q4

Nah but seriously folks, the goddang scarf is clipping through the goddang shield. DANG.

O15LZNil.png

1. Real big tree.

DNcdDdTl.jpg

1. Statue. We'll be looking more into this one, but notice it's bird-like appearance and bird-like greed.

Aks1ithl.png

1. Looks like a bokoblin, or some kinda 'blin. Much better design than the one's in SS, but they didn't give a good look at 'em really.

9s6itlCl.jpg

1. A wing on the statue!? No way, could it be a bird!? Wait... bird... Skyward... SWORD. That's right, Skyward Sword himself is in the building and ready to mingle. Could this be a potential sequel? I don't know, but the similar graphics and bird statues everywhere (they were in the E3 trailer) make me think it's possible.

MgXRfYbl.png

1. Little bokoblin is either sleeping or hiding in grass. Like the marijuana kind.

lAcIr1Wl.jpg

1. Another look at the wing. It's glorious.

Y1kt6qSl.png

Bullet time/slow-motion thing when you use an arrow. You jump off of Epones and shoot an arrow in the air because it looks cool.

mbWUzNjl.png

Just wanted to highlight how in Twilight Princess, in areas like this you would be on a set path and wouldn't be able to venture outside the walls. Here? You can go literally anywhere all around. NOICE.

7vMu995l.jpg

1. One last look at this beautiful bird statue. It's a bird, got it? Skyward Sword 2 Holiday 2015, pre-order now.

gEgVNMel.jpg

1. Little animal up on that rock.

2. Some kind of castle-like building, or possible the entrance to a bridge.

spo2nwpl.png

1. The true death mountain. Note the fire.

c7Igowll.png

HORSES YAY.

So there you have it, the one and only Zelda on Wii U hosted by yours truly. And yours not so truly (Aaron). I'd like to thank you all for making it this far, and have a safe drive home.

tumblr_m4pudiyTRA1qzwgnko3_250.gif

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
1. Time system is here, but it don't move at all. What is this, Kakariko Village from Ocarina of Time? Hah. Anyway, I believe the reason it isn't moving is because little Aonuma here stated he wanted to show the game at sunset. Using my flawless logic, I believe he used dev controls to make the game stay at the time of the game where the sun sets. That sneaky bastard.
That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. It does make more sense than that being real time.

4. Looks kind of like a little water area. It's unlike the other water on the map since it's far more defined and looks like it goes downward into the earth. Might be Zora's Domain.
Zora's Domain in the middle of the desert? Nah, it's just an oasis (like the one in Desert Colossus). Zora's Domain is to the east. East of the other lake that's not Lake Hylia (I think it's Hyrule Castle), south of Death Mountain. That's where it is in other games too.

2. Some kinda bird statue or watch tower? The world may never know (Until 2015 of course).
I'm pretty sure that's the "suspicious tower" they're trying to get to.

1. Signs of life --- a torch!
Now that I think about it... that is an odd place for a torch.

1. Epones. She's back and black.... haired.
That's something I should have mentioned in my article. Is this really Epona? We see many horses at the end, and the icon on the map indicating this one has a "1" beside it, possibly revealing that this is one of many we'll be riding.

1. Controls. Left analog stick likely controls Epones, A dashes probably, and the right trigger likely is how you use your arrows. Maybe.
Yes, right trigger (ZR) is arrows. Watch Aonuma too, not just the screen! I can't make out what right shoulder (R) does though.

1. Statue. We'll be looking more into this one, but notice it's bird-like appearance and bird-like greed.

1. A wing on the statue!? No way, could it be a bird!? Wait... bird... Skyward... SWORD. That's right, Skyward Sword himself is in the building and ready to mingle. Could this be a potential sequel? I don't know, but the similar graphics and bird statues everywhere (they were in the E3 trailer) make me think it's possible.
I wouldn't look too much into that. Such statues are a common trope in Zelda.

Palacio_del_Este_ALttP.png

Regarding Death Mountain, I think that "fake" one really is the real one. It's in the right spot, and there's lava flowing down from it on the map. I'm not sure where the end of the demo takes place. It might just be the same mountain from a different angle. It's possible that we can't see as much smoke from the distance.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's not confirmed if the Wii MotionPlus will be a control method alongside the GamePad just yet, but with the confirmation of Link being right-handed and multiple features from Skyward Sword returning (Sailcloth, beacons, apparent shield meter), it's looking even likelier than it already was.

Here's to hoping I called it right all along!

Sheik

:the:
I don't believe I've heard anybody mention that there weren't any carrot icons when Link was riding Epona (or whatever horse that was). I guess this means that you don't have to wait for Epona's dashes to recharge to use them? Just a small thing I noticed.

It's not confirmed if the Wii MotionPlus will be a control method alongside the GamePad just yet, but with the confirmation of Link being right-handed and multiple features from Skyward Sword returning (Sailcloth, beacons, apparent shield meter), it's looking even likelier than it already was.

Here's to hoping I called it right all along!

From the footage we saw yesterday, I'm more doubtful than before that control schemes other than the Gamepad will be supported, especially considering how important a role it plays in map and camera management. If I'm wrong, you can tell me "I told you so", but Nintendo has a habit of wanting to showcase its current console controller with Zelda.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
4. Magic meter or stamina meter. You decide. Well, not really, Nintendo does. So get off your high horse. Nah but seriously, I'm guessing Magic meter since we don't see any kind of 'sprint' mechanic like in SS, but on the other side we never see it deplete at all. So it could go either way.

Actually, notice how it does got a little down

N7dJ7Osl.jpg
BRjjoj4l.jpg

Now notice the bar, it's not fully up.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
From the footage we saw yesterday, I'm more doubtful than before that control schemes other than the Gamepad will be supported, especially considering how important a role it plays in map and camera management. If I'm wrong, you can tell me "I told you so", but Nintendo has a habit of wanting to showcase its current console controller with Zelda.

What about it makes you doubtful? There have been other games that used multiple control schemes, and as I've gone over countless times, it would be extremely easy to take full advantage of the GamePad while still offering the WM+ as an option (just look at Pikmin 3).

And, seriously, I don't understand what the point of Link being right-handed would be without motion controls being involved. The only times he has been are when they were, and when they weren't, he was left-handed again (the DS games & ALBW).

View attachment 36437
View attachment 36438

Ah, so that might be a stamina gauge and not a shield meter like I thought. Odd, though, we never saw Link sprint (though that doesn't mean he can't, and I'd be very surprised if he couldn't after its introduction in Skyward Sword).

Then again, he could have run into an enemy and had his shield take some damage without us seeing it, as there were multiple skips in the footage.

Edit: I didn't say anything about magic because Aonuma once said something along the lines of magic not being needed in the series, so I don't see it returning under his reigns.

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Anyone else think that the "Little Animal" on top of the rock towards the end looked like the Golden Wolf from TP?

They were just talking about Star Fox before we saw it. Connection?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Much analysis. ;) Can't wait to see some more of this, anyway, game is shaping up a treat. Interesting to see how Nintendo will fare throwing their weight around in what's become a quite competitive thing now, the ol' open world; this really seems to be the "Make it open-world!" generation. I can live with that quite happily, too!

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
It looks great. It's a colorful free interconnected world with lots of routes to explore. At the same time, I worry it may be too big? Will Nintendo be able to make every area in this massive overworld interesting, eventful and exciting, or did they stretch themselves a bit too thin?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff

View attachment 36437
View attachment 36438

It only looks that way because of the quality of the image. Watch the video; the bar never moves throughout the entire demo. Not even when Link is running up the mountain or when he's using the Sailcloth.

Anyone else think that the "Little Animal" on top of the rock towards the end looked like the Golden Wolf from TP?

They were just talking about Star Fox before we saw it. Connection?
I thought it looked more like a ram. I did think about the Golden Wolf, but the neck is too long and it looks like it has horns/antlers.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Much analysis. ;) Can't wait to see some more of this, anyway, game is shaping up a treat. Interesting to see how Nintendo will fare throwing their weight around in what's become a quite competitive thing now, the ol' open world; this really seems to be the "Make it open-world!" generation. I can live with that quite happily, too!

Developers are doing it when they don't even need to, though. It's like the N64 era when EVERY game had to be full 3D, even if it suffered from it.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think it is still a bit too early to make a real call on what the final product will be compared to this demo. If you remember the demo of SS they showed at E3 2010 had very different graphics and a slightly different interface than the completed game. They still changed quite a bit for the final version. I am expecting more of the same here as well. The meter might look very different or not be there at all when the game is released.

Even pre-release versions of Twilight Princess had a magic meter

1479d1167958289-magic-meter-possible-spoilers-legend-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082132755.jpg

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
It only looks that way because of the quality of the image. Watch the video; the bar never moves throughout the entire demo. Not even when Link is running up the mountain or when he's using the Sailcloth.

I don't know, it looks like a little bit went down.

Oh, I just spotted this, it's a house.

Zelda Wii U analyss.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom