• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U Timeline Placement

Djinn

and Tonic
So going back to a pic from the small teaser we got from E3 months ago

arrow-2.gif

Does the techno arrow help hammer down where you think it might go at all?

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!

arrow-2.gif

Due the to the designs of the head of that tech beam arrow being similar to what is found on the time-shift stone from SS, I'd say pre-split timeline...still.

Edit: Image of timeshift stones that proves my point:

Timeshift_Stone.png

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Due the to the designs of the head of that tech beam arrow being similar to what is found on the time-shift stone from SS, I'd say pre-split timeline...still.

Edit: Image of timeshift stones that proves my point:

Timeshift_Stone.png

The design also looks similar to the Tower of the Gods in WW. So that doesn't prove much.

sw3AN34.png

The technological advancement in the arrow doesn't tell too much. It could easily take place very early on in the timeline or very late. Or between OoT and WW as some have theorized, considering the level of the technology before the flood is never shown. I honestly can't say for the moment.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

arrow-2.gif

I wrote this post earlier but somehow it didn't actually post, so irritating.

In the other thread on the timeline placement of Zelda U I posted my thoughts of where I think the game will go on the timeline. If you want to read that, click the spoiler button.

First this is Legend of Zelda not Legend of Hylia. We have a manga detailing what happened before SS so I am pretty sure this is not another prequel.

There are two places in the timeline I think this game might go. I'll start with what I think is the least likely, but I would not be surprised if they did do it.

First is that this is 'The Legend of Zelda' no subtitle just plain LOZ. That game had pretty much no story and it is possible this is going to be that game and give it one. A lot has changed in the Zelda lore since the beginning of the series and now might be the time to update.

Supporting argument:
This game is supposed to be going back to the series roots...Come on. How more back to the roots can you get than making a 3D version of the original game.
The map looks most similar to the one in Zelda and Zelda 2 therefore it could be possible that they took inspiration from that and gave us the Wii U title.
I think Ganon is going to be the villain due to the bokoblins having a distinctive piglike appearance like his forces seem to have. Demise's bokoblins and moblins looked dopey and more like, well...I don't know what exactly. Hideous to say the least.

Second idea is that this game precedes the WW and shows. the great flood. I know somebody will just go *whiney voice* 'oh but it's the era without a hero' if i don't address this right away.
Hyrule is going to be flooded! It matters not if there is a link because he is not going to save the day and will not be branded a hero despite his fighting the evil forces and perhaps making time for some people to escape to safety. This link does not even wear the Hero's garb, and I don't think he will. I think that is one of the conventions that is being changed for this game.
That would further support link not being the 'Hero' in the traditional sense.

supporting argument for this being a WW prequel:
WWHD was recently released. Therefore it's story will be fresh in the minds of a large portion of the Wii U owner base. WWHD will be the first Zelda of the younger generation who got a Wii U and they will want some continuity. Making a game that precedes it is therefore a smart move rather than putting a game in the timeline which connects to older titles that are not fresh in peoples minds.
The art style has a WW vibe. This could indeed be because they wanted to show a visual connection between the titles whilst merging the style with the more traditional anime look rather than the toon look which i personally dislike.
Bokoblins are piglike and are therefore likely connected to Ganon/dorf rather than Demise or another Demon King. Ganon/dorf would certainly have had a large role in the events leading up to the great flood.
The large spacious land tall mountains and lush fields are similar to the hyrule shown in WW. There is not much evidence of civilization having existed there but it no doubt did.
The Master Sword in WW is said by Ganondorf himself to have been used as a key to keep the seal on him and his magic intact. This indicated it was used to seal his magic after his rampage during the events bringing about the great flood. I imagine he was pretty powerful and dangerous if the gods had to come and seal hyrule beneath an ocean. Link, or he with the hero's blood is the only one who can use the master sword, therefore there must have been one with the heros blood (link) to use the master sword as a key to seal Ganon's magic.
THEREFORE, there MUST have been a link pre flood. And I think this link is him.

As for whether the techno arrow helps with making my decision of where the game goes on the timeline. Well it could support my pre flood theory. Since technology would have had time to improve since OOT, it is possible that this kind of arrow was in existence before the flood where the new technology would have been left beneath the waves.

An interesting theory by IGN is that this game takes place after WW, where the water has drained from hyrule and the land would have been recolonised. The technology of the arrow looks similar to that powering the tentacled beamos thing. What could have happened is that the water eroded the land uncovering the technology left behind in the ancient world. I am not personally convinced that this is going to happen. I think Hyrule after WW is going to remain flooded, but it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to say the water drained away leaving a new land.

My money is still on this being a pre flood game.

Simon♪

The Hero of Legend
This is my theory and it looks like it hasn't been stated yet so here I go!

In order to discover when and where Zelda Wii U fits in the timeline, I first think it necessary to find out as much as we can about this “new” Link.

I propose this “new” Link in Legend of Zelda Wii U isn’t new at all, in fact I think he may be a Link from quite a ways back. The Link in Zelda Wii U is actually the Link from A Link to the Past, Oracle of Season, Oracle of Ages, and Link’s Awakening, The Hero of Legend. Now let me tell you why.
The last we see the Hero of Legend; he is drifting in the middle of the ocean on a piece of drift wood. That’s it, no closure as to what happens to him after. Who’s to say he didn’t in fact wash upon a new land?

My first piece of “evidence” is his hair. It is extremely long in both cases their hair makes it down to their shoulders. From my knowledge no other link has this distinctive long hair. It would make sense since his hair would realistically grow long if he was drifting in the open sea. The same would go for his clearly tanner skin, this is very different compared to Link’s usual pale skin; and again would make sense if he was drifting in the open ocean.

My second piece of evidence draws on the work of many faithful theorists. When we first got a glimpse of this new Link, we picked apart every single detail. From the resemblance of his shirt to Wind Waker, to the designs on his gauntlets and cloak; and what we found was this Link is chalk full of little references, and aspects from many different games. Now let’s look at The Hero of Legend, he has traversed a total of three games, more than any other Link. It would make sense that he would have picked up many different trinkets and mismatched armor. Such as a shiekah cloak, and or guado arm bands.

Being in all of these games would also explain for this Link’s “skill” no other Link can jump off of Epona and shoot arrows. A Link who has done as much as The Hero of Legend would understandably be more skilled, and from the most recent gameplay trailer it is seen Link can do this from very early on in the game.

Finally the map,
I wouldn’t be surprised if Link starts our washed ashore on the island on the bottom right of the map, and makes his way inland. Link will probably start out simply looking for natives to help him, and suddenly spiral into helping them fight against evil. Since Link tends to fall into danger, rather than choose to fight it. While many people say it is reminiscent of the original map from the first game, or that it is, I wouldn’t go that far. Nintendo has stated that they want to try new ideas and challenge certain typical Zelda conventions it seems like an obvious choice would be a new map, where the developers wouldn’t have to worry as much on the lore of the land.

Overall I think the New legend of Zelda title will be in the Hero Dies timeline after LA. So what do you guys think? I haven't found any holes in my theory other than the fact we have only seen two "trailers" and I am grasping at minute details that could mean anything. :lol:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
This is my theory and it looks like it hasn't been stated yet so here I go!

In order to discover when and where Zelda Wii U fits in the timeline, I first think it necessary to find out as much as we can about this “new” Link.

I propose this “new” Link in Legend of Zelda Wii U isn’t new at all, in fact I think he may be a Link from quite a ways back. The Link in Zelda Wii U is actually the Link from A Link to the Past, Oracle of Season, Oracle of Ages, and Link’s Awakening, The Hero of Legend. Now let me tell you why.
The last we see the Hero of Legend; he is drifting in the middle of the ocean on a piece of drift wood. That’s it, no closure as to what happens to him after. Who’s to say he didn’t in fact wash upon a new land?

My first piece of “evidence” is his hair. It is extremely long in both cases their hair makes it down to their shoulders. From my knowledge no other link has this distinctive long hair. It would make sense since his hair would realistically grow long if he was drifting in the open sea. The same would go for his clearly tanner skin, this is very different compared to Link’s usual pale skin; and again would make sense if he was drifting in the open ocean.

My second piece of evidence draws on the work of many faithful theorists. When we first got a glimpse of this new Link, we picked apart every single detail. From the resemblance of his shirt to Wind Waker, to the designs on his gauntlets and cloak; and what we found was this Link is chalk full of little references, and aspects from many different games. Now let’s look at The Hero of Legend, he has traversed a total of three games, more than any other Link. It would make sense that he would have picked up many different trinkets and mismatched armor. Such as a shiekah cloak, and or guado arm bands.

Being in all of these games would also explain for this Link’s “skill” no other Link can jump off of Epona and shoot arrows. A Link who has done as much as The Hero of Legend would understandably be more skilled, and from the most recent gameplay trailer it is seen Link can do this from very early on in the game.

Finally the map,
I wouldn’t be surprised if Link starts our washed ashore on the island on the bottom right of the map, and makes his way inland. Link will probably start out simply looking for natives to help him, and suddenly spiral into helping them fight against evil. Since Link tends to fall into danger, rather than choose to fight it. While many people say it is reminiscent of the original map from the first game, or that it is, I wouldn’t go that far. Nintendo has stated that they want to try new ideas and challenge certain typical Zelda conventions it seems like an obvious choice would be a new map, where the developers wouldn’t have to worry as much on the lore of the land.

Overall I think the New legend of Zelda title will be in the Hero Dies timeline after LA. So what do you guys think? I haven't found any holes in my theory other than the fact we have only seen two "trailers" and I am grasping at minute details that could mean anything. :lol:

The only thing that comes to mind against this is Link's new arrow. Technology doesn't seem advanced enough in this timeline, especially between Alttp/OoX/LA and TLoZ. In fact, I'd say that this is when technology is at it's lowest and the least likely to be this game's placement on the timeline. You may be right, but I'm very iffy at the moment.

I'm betting on this taking place in the same timeline as SS & OOT probably in between the two games. From looking at the recent teaser trailer for Zelda U, it kinda looks like it'll take place sometime after SS. Or what I thought about recently is that it might take place in a different timeline, but I'm going for what I said earlier.

I'm thinking the best we can tell at this point with the fragment of a teaser we have going is after SS at best but not much else to go by. Obviously someone is living on the ground but I did not see any signs of technology or robots. So ancient Hylia is out. That's about it.

dear god, robots in Zelda was a bad idea. I wonder how drunk the staff member that decided too implent them was. I really hope that Zelda Wii U sticks too the series genre of medieval fantasy / fairy tale.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
dear god, robots in Zelda was a bad idea. I wonder how drunk the staff member that decided too implent them was. I really hope that Zelda Wii U sticks too the series genre of medieval fantasy / fairy tale.

Zelda does not really have a particular setting. It has been set in a post apocalyptic wasteland, it has been in a medieval fantasy setting, it's done steampunk, its been set on floating islands in the sky. What's wrong with robots? There has been advanced technology from the early days, OOT-1998 has beamos that are sentry robots that shoot lazer beams from their eye and MM 2000 has a giant electronic mechanical goat.
Zelda is a fantasy game which could be set in any sort of setting and does not have to stick to one particular period in time and is not limited to any particular technology. It hasn't so far and yet you seem to suggest Zelda is just a bog standard medieval fantasy that should never branch out. It has never been just that, and if you play all the games you will come to realise the wide variety of settings and themes Zelda can have, and we can only look forward to the exciting settings and themes Zelda will have in store for us in the future.

Zelda does not really have a particular setting. It has been set in a post apocalyptic wasteland, it has been in a medieval fantasy setting, it's done steampunk, its been set on floating islands in the sky. What's wrong with robots? There has been advanced technology from the early days, OOT-1998 has beamos that are sentry robots that shoot lazer beams from their eye and MM 2000 has a giant electronic mechanical goat.
Zelda is a fantasy game which could be set in any sort of setting and does not have to stick to one particular period in time and is not limited to any particular technology. It hasn't so far and yet you seem to suggest Zelda is just a bog standard medieval fantasy that should never branch out. It has never been just that, and if you play all the games you will come to realise the wide variety of settings and themes Zelda can have, and we can only look forward to the exciting settings and themes Zelda will have in store for us in the future.

Zelda's setting was initially and mainly is medieval fantasy (the PRIMARY setting of the entire series is Hyrule, a medieval inspired kingdom for goodness sake! :D)(Not to mention the series is named after the fairy tale esque Princess Zelda), but you are right, recently it has changed a bit (with spirit tracks and skyward sword mostly, wind waker at least allowed the players to return to Hyrule at the later parts of the game and it's setting was medieval as ever). However some of these changes have gone too far. The whole high tech theme of lanayru was unfitting to the series. Zelda's fantasy world isn't like Mario's fantasy world where literally anything goes. The Zelda Universe has clearly been more streamlined to the medieval fantasy spectrum with elves (hylians, korkiri), wizzards (wizrobes), fairies, orcs (bulblins/moblins), knights (darknuts, hylian soldiers), castles (hyrule castle), princesses (princess Zelda), medieval steeds (epona), ect. For Nintendo to make a game like Zelda Galaxy with Link flying through space and fighting aliens would make no sense. The series does indeed have it's restrictions.

Link, an elf (Hylian to be precise) who is dressed in a tunic from an enchanted forest (korkiri forest) and sometimes wears chainmail underneath. Link himself is a very medieval esque character and resmbles Robin Hood in design. Seeing someone like robin hood go up against a robot or sci fi enemy seems unfitting, does it not? Link using his medieval esque sword and shield to fight against "Technoblins" with their electric rods is unfitting. Anyone can see that this segment of the game was unfitting:

Zelda_Skyward_Sword_1104_22.jpg

Link dressed in forest elven clothing, with medieval technology is fighting against some sci fi wielding bokoblin with an electric rod. That is extreemly unfitting, and comes off as just plain silly. And the sillyness serves no benifit to the experience of the game. Some people might not mind it much, but to me it just comes across as dumb (does it improve the story? does it improve the experience? No. It's just being different for the sake of being different).

Yes, the series has had high tech elements before, such as the hookshot (however it runs on gears, and gears existed in the middle ages in windmills) or armos (however they are magical beam firing statues, and run off of magic rather than technology), but magic has been the explination for most of these opposed to technology.

Implimenting technology in the Zelda universe is fine, as long as it can be explained logically within it's limmits (such as magic being responsible). But having futuristic things such as robots and laser guns or modern things such as cars and motercycles is going too far. Way too far.

"If a Metroid game isn't Sci Fi, It's not a Metroid game,
If a Zelda game isn't Medieval Fantasy, it's not a Zelda game,
Setting helps define Genre,
Genre helps define Series,
Sci Fi is a significant part of what makes Metroid what it is,
Medieval Fantasy is a significant part of what makes Zelda what it is,"

If Nintendo wants to mix sci fi or high tech elements with Zelda gameplay (high tech to the degree of robots, laser guns, or motercylces), that's fine, but they should make a new IP with those ideas rather than put it in Zelda. Zelda was never meant to be sci fi or futuristic. They can make another series and call it, the "Legend of Zoloft" or something :cool:

Last edited:
But that was my favorite part of the game....

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings :(
I respect your opinion, different strokes for different folks I guess :/

But the fact still stands that Zelda originally started out as a fairy tale setting, and has been that way for the majority of it's lifespan.
If an official Zelda game ever looked like this:

zelda-mario-kart-8-link-rides-motorcycle-dlc-pack-1-gamplay-screenshot.jpg

That amount of change will alienate the fanbase and the series genre. Too much is just... too much man :/

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I still don't agree. Zelda is in the fantasy genre, not just exclusively medieval fantasy.
It's setting, Hyrule is a major defining point of the series, but not every game features Hyrule. That does not make them any less of a zelda game just because they are not set in the main land. Zelda has a vast lore and although elements from some games are not present every time, it is that lore and connection to the Zelda universe that helps makes Zelda what it is.
Final Fantasy for instance started out as more of a medieval fantasy but there is steampunk and cyberpunk themed FF games which are accepted by the fanbase. That series takes place in different universes, but in Zelda we have Hyrule, and a timeline spanning thousands of years, we can see a hyrule that is more medieval in one game and we can also see a more advanced hyrule in another. With time travel we could see a more advanced technology than ever seen before in Zelda. To me that doesn't make it any more or less Zelda. It's the characters, gameplay and lore that I think defines the series.

If you have ever played the bioshock series then you will know the first two games are set in an undersea city called rapture, and when the third game was announced and fans could see it was set in a floating city in the sky, there was complaints from some fans who were upset that the game was not in rapture again. Bioshock 3, came out and was enjoyed by critics and fans alike. When people actually played it they realised how their worries had been for nothing and that for many this was the best Bioshock yet.

Yeah, it's not like robots appeared in SS or anything. Heck, one of my favorite Zelda games has steampunk elements in it, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

Yeah, it's not like robots appeared in SS or anything. Heck, one of my favorite Zelda games has steampunk elements in it, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

Yeah, they did appear in ss. That's why I said it was a bad idea and the staff member who put robots in Zelda must have been drunk.

Robots are extremely unfitting to the Zelda series (the main setting, hyrule, being a medieval based kingdom). Seeing link using a perimitive sword and shield or bow n arrow, against robots with electricity or technoblins with those technologically advanced electric rods is unfitting and clashes.

Weather they make the game more fun or not, you seem to enjoy them so I will respect your opinion :p

I just personally feel it comes across as dumb, no offence :s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom