• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda Zelda Races: Gerudo Tribe

Calebmoore

Power Games Inc.
So I posted awhile back something about the connection between Demise and Ganondorf, and that actually somehow led to the Gerudos. Well now I would like to give my full opinion on how the Gerudo Tribe came to be. It all starts back in Skyward Sword. Actually it starts before it with the creation of Demise. Demise was always after the Triforce, and he would do anything to get it. However he was defeated at the end of Skyward Sword. Demise tells Link that his curse shall live on in an incarnation of him. At first it seemed he was talking about Ganondorf, but now I'm not so sure that's the case. I think it is in fact a strong possibility that Demise was talking about the Gerudos. First off, they share many similarities. Not trying to be racest here and I am sorry if I offend you, but the Gerudos do have dark tan skin. darker than anyother human. Just like demise had darker skin. Also the red hair bares a strong resemblance to the firey hair of Demise. Now, say the Gerudos where formed from Demise. He never really got the Triforce so I believe the Gerudos are actually looking for it. They steal hoping to find it or something leading to it. Now, as stated in Ocarina of Time by a Sheikah Stone, the Gerudo Female actually go to Hyrule to... uh... mate... and this explains how they have children. Now as for them being all girls, there has to be some kind of spell to make that happen. And don't tell me a goddess is doing that for a gang of thieves. The magic of Twin Rova is at foot! Where did they get this dark magic? From Demise. Now Demise was also absorbed into the Master Sword at the end of Skyward Sword. I think that Ganondorf was able to become his counter part "Ganon" the beast through the magic of Demise which was released when Link takes up the sword. Why Ganondorf and not Link? Because Ganondorf was a Gerudo. Tell me your thoughts and thanks for reading.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I like your theory, and it makes a lot of sense because of the physical similarities between the Gerudo race and Demise, as well as their cultural differences from Hylians (for example, appearing to worship a separate Goddess for at least some time in the form of the Goddess of the Sand), and the fact thieving is their 'thing'. But there are in my opinion a few flaws to this: Ganondorf is a Gerudo, so referring to the Gerudo as a separate incarnation of Demise in some way doesn't really make any sense, as that pretty much falls into fact and not theory territory. Second of all, the Gerudo only really appear in 1 game, OoT (and MM of course but that is an alternate dimension), so it wouldn't really make any sense to say that Demise stating he would haunt their descendants means that he lives on within the Gerudo race.

Second, I always got the impression that the Gerudo were a tribe who relocated to the desert in Hyrule when they heard about the legend of the Triforce. That, or they were a travelling tribe of thieves anyway, perhaps coming from an alternate dimension (maybe Termina or somewhere else) or at least originating in another country, who settled in Hyrule for a few generations before moving on at the end of OoT when Ganondorf was defeated or alternative versions of this in the various splits of the timeline.

Another point that needs to be made is that it's not Demise being reincarnated himself in each game, but Demise's hatred being reborn. This would explain why other games have different enemies, such as Vaati, however it is all part of the repeating pattern in spite of this. Ganon is the same monster in both OoT and TP, for example, because he is not defeated but banished to a different realm between these games. This to me kind of makes it seem as if the Gerudo really aren't anything to do with Demise, aside from only appearing occasionally, because the reincarnation of Demise and his hatred appears in different forms in different games.

The other issue I have with the Gerudo being the incarnation of Demise is that not all Gerudo are inherently evil or pro the destruction of Hyrule in the process of seeking out the Triforce. Look at Nabooru- she was against Ganondorf from day one, and only supported him due to being brainwashed by Twinrova. If even one Gerudo doesn't seek the Triforce or seek evil, I think that is enough to suggest it is no more significant a race in Zelda than any other. Further to that, yes, they are thieves, but that is just their culture- it might be considered morally wrong by other cultures, but stealth and slyness are awarded in their culture as a form of intelligence and bravery, as seen by the fact they let Link have free passage when he releases the carpenters. That doesn't make them wrong in every way.

I think the fact only one male is born every hundred years is nothing to do with dark magic however. I really think that's just to make it more interesting, and explain why someone as evil as Ganondorf came to be in charge of the whole lot of them, and not someone much more respected and honourable such as Nabooru. I actually kind of look at the Gerudo race as a nod to feminism surviving within a patriarchal system of rule, because all of those women are tough fighters, keen horse riders, and live in a harsh climate. I don't think it has any real purpose other than to make things more interesting, the fact that there is only one male every century.

Twinrova do have dark powers, but so do all the other enemies in Zelda, including Ganondorf. There is magic throughout the Zelda universe, and far eastern culture such as Japanese and Chinese cultures include a focus on the balance of good and bad- thus there is good and bad magic. I don't think there is a source to it as it is an existent element in the Zelda universe. Magic has it's appeal in the fact it doesn't depend on the gods, it depends on personal skill, so it gives people free will to use it for good or bad in Zelda. I wouldn't think there is a real source in that case. Dark magic doesn't necessarily originate with Demise, because that would give it the eternal problem of oh but where did Demise get his power etc.

Sorry for the essay, your theory is highly original so it inspired me to think deep lol

Calebmoore

Power Games Inc.
Don't be sorry, I love opinions. Tell away. I understand what you're saying. The way i see it though is if Demise formed the Gerudos before he dies, then they're going to be around for a while. As I stated earlier though Ganon could be the result of Demises essance taking control of a weakened Ganondorf. This reawakens his spirit and could actually give him the stength he needs to turn Ganondorf into a puppet of sorts. I'm not fond of the idea of Ganondorf being a puppet after so many years, but it makes sense. As for the adult timeline, Hyrule was flooded wiping out the Gerudos. This can explain why they aren't very important after Ocarina of Time. Either Demise is now inside Ganondorf so they are no longer need to find the Triforce or they were simpley wiped out by the flood.

As for his hatred, that could actually mean anything. It could have been a metaphore in my eyes. Most people do say he means any bady from then on, but is it really that black and white. I have another theory on the subject thats very short. I would say Demise either told about the Gerudos in the sense that they spread pain by attacking and stealing from others or that he was talking about Maladus from Spirit Tracks considering how close their stories are.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Nice theory I have to say, but I'd differ on a lot of points that you raised.

I think it's hard to really talk about comparisons in appearance. Demise is a god-like figure, it's arguable whether he has that status, but Demise is the source of hate itself, it's hard to really compare such a figure to a race. Demise has somewhat scaly dark skin, the Gerudos have darkish skin simply because they reside within the desert, thus they are exposed to more sunlight and so on. The hair could be a good point, but yet again I think it's impossible to compare both parties.

Well there is actually a point that completely disapproves of any "physical connection". Demise isn't a physical being, so to say, well in fact to be more specific, he's more the physical embodiment of evil itself. The game references this point -- basically saying that Demise changes appearance in context to that specific individual. So if we go by this then Demise just appears in that form in Link's eyes, Zelda and Impa might see a completely different being altogether.

I'm stuck on Twinrova, in fact, they are the surrogate mothers of Ganondorf, that is confirmed but I just don't see how they are related to the typical Gerudo. For one we never really see them have much of a connection with their counterparts, in fact, in Ocarina of Time they attack a figurehead in Nabooru and they don't even reside anywhere near the Gerudos in Majora's Mask , all of which makes me a tad sceptical. There is also the fact that they have, somewhat, different powers. Nevertheless I'll have to stuck to them being Gerudo as they are stated to be so, but still, their powers aren't in touch with the powers of Demise. Demise has god-like powers, while Twinrova are simply witches able to wield magic. Now magic is a common occurrence in Zelda, so I wouldn't state that as a connection.

Overall I would say that the Gerudo are more likely an offshoot of the Hylian race, they bear human-like similarities and they seem to have a lost connection, possibly hinting that there was one at some time. I would just believe they have different beliefs, a different culture etc.

Calebmoore

Power Games Inc.
Demise technically does have a physical form considering the fact that a sword can touch him. I understand what you mean by him looking different in Impa's eyes as well as Zelda's, however, I don't think that's the case. If Demise look different to everyone then would that still stand for his Imprisoned form? This being said, Groose does see the same that Link sees when looking at the Imprisoned, even though their views on good and evil are likely to differ greatly.

As for Twin Rova, they have the same names in Majora's Mask. This raises the question of, are they the same or counterparts. Seeing as how they have magical powers, I wouldn't put it past them to find Termina. Also, Majora's Mask takes place on the child time line. You first meet them on the adult time line. This shows that it is possible that they attacked Nabooru, as Link see them do it, but then go to Termina, considering the fact that Link is actually old in Majora's Mask. Just not by much. Plus they never saw Link as a kid so they wouldn't have reconized him.

Now as for the similarities in appearance. I had considered the fact that Demise has scaley skin. However, you can't deny that the scales are darker than human skin. Now You said that the Gerudo skin is tanner because they are in the desert. Well Ganondorf was away from the desert for 7 years and his "tan" never went away. So this proves that the Gerudo could not have come from Hyrule. Instead they had to have migrated close to Hyrule, but were most likely seen as criminals and outsiders, so they were not excepted into the kingdom. This would leave them to settle in the desert. So it all comes back down to where they came in from. It is possible they could have came from an entire different contenent, but I would just like to say there is also alot of similarities between them and Demise that I think should be considered.

Anyways, thanks for the opinion, I know the skin thing isn't that strong of an arguement kind of like twin rova, I just thought that it was intresting to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom