• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda in 20 Years

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
In first place, do you think Nintenod will still exist in 20 years?

Im afraid to say it but I dont really believe Nintendo will exist by then, because lately other companies have really taken over so Nintendo will need something BIG to get back his proper place...
(Im not saying Nintendo is going broke...but at his rate in 20 years maybe:O)

As second point, Miyamoto is "too busy"?

Im not saying he has no interest in Zelda but since he got the new job as the general manager, he is been participating less and less in the development of Nintendo major games (Mario, Zelda etc.) Not to mention he created them...:mellow:
Also Miyamoto is now 58 (correct me if im wrong) and in 20 he is going to be almost 80, and I dont really think thats an age he will be working, he probably will have retired before 80 so.

In third point, who will continue his "work"?

Eiji Anouma is the answer. But Eiji Anouma only focuses in Zelda, what about Mario, Starfox,DK etc.? If you ask me they would not ruin but change them too much to provide the same experience of gameplay.:cry:

As 4th point, how would Anouma change Zelda?

Im not saying Anouma makes a bad job, as a matter he tries NEW things. But what Miyamoto has tried to keep is the way of the game simple but fun but hard (just the reason we love Zelda ok!) and we seen how Anouma has taken Zelda lately...trains, ships, airballon. Thats very odd if you ask me.

Finally me final point >.<, Miyamotoless Nintendo?

Miyamoto has done MANY things for Nintendo, but how would Nintendo be without Shigeru? If you ask me, they would probably closed years ago. Why? Well, almost all games are based in wars where everything is left in a bloody mess, but Nintendo does not (too much). Miyamoto has left "clean" the path of Nintendo. All of the majo relaeases are not war games arent they?

Also, Miyamoto cares about the gameplay or how we play the game. He always has an idea of how to play a game (Zelda is the living proof of it) in a simple fun way. Isnt that the reason most of us play Zelda since 5...its because its simple.

ALL OF THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, SO DONT TAKE IT SO SERIOUSLY
IF IM WRONG SOMEHOW PLEASE LET ME KNOW

As far as I'm aware Nintendo is doing far better now than it was doing during the N64/Gamecube era. By expanding into the casual games market (appealing to grannies and that :P) they have found themselves a proper niche in the market. If you want to see a true sign of success, see if something is being imitated. I know I've seen adverts for Xbox and Playstation versions of the Wii remote - those adverts where you just jump up and down and wave your arms.

I think you're generalising a little too much with your comments. I don't have all the statistics, and I know the FPS genre does do quite well here in the West, but Nintendo is safe and secure at the moment. Business is good. I have no doubt they will be around in 20 years - gaming is here to stay as a medium, and in 20 years time it will be even stronger. As long as Nintendo keep making games people want to play they will do fine, even if the classics become less important than the new Wii Sports/Brain Training title.

As for Miyamoto, the reason he doesn't work so much on Mario and Zelda is probably after years of doing those games he has lost interest in them. You only live once, and like any creative person Miyamoto will want to explore as many avenues as he can, and keep doing things that excite him. The Japanese have a habit of staying pretty healthy into their 70s, and if I recall the former Nintendo President was over 80 when he retired, so he could well still be making games when he turns 80. And if not, the baton will pass to the likes of Anouma, which is fine by me.

Long live Nintendo.

Djinn

and Tonic
It is interesting to think about just how well Nintendo might be doing in the next few decades. Their popularity in the States is waning as more and more gamers see their games as a little too childish. But I would not go so far to say that shooters are the way of the future and will change everything. Game genres are fads that come and go. In 92' everything had to be a fighting game, in 97' everything was a 3D platformer, in 02' everything was an RPG, now it is FPS'. We do not know what might be popular ten years from now much less 20. I believe that the Zelda franchise will continue to evolve as it always has been. It has already evolved from just a green swordweilding sprite named Link fighting random monsters to a huge ever expanding world with it's own mythology, history, and people's all with their own personalities. We will most likely see more of the same in the future. Even after Myamoto leaves the series to someone else, Nintendo will continue to create Zelda games as long as it is profitable to do so.

However majority of Nintendo's properties are sequels and extensions of games they created in the 80's. So a lot of gamers that remember the 8-64 bit era are nostalgic for characters like Mario and Kirby, gamers of future generations might not. And people of younger generations might not know where Mario originated but are genuinely not interested in playing a game that stars a cartoon plumber in overalls. Then again we do have a whole generation of players that started with Mario 64 and Zelda OoT who continue to play the sequels of both. So this trend might not end either.

Of course this is all speculation based on Nintendo staying the course they have been on for the last 25 years and not changing a thing. Other factors like new management taking over and wishing to shake things up or being bought out by another company could totally shift all their priorities in a different way. Then we just might see things like a Mario game on a Microsoft console, or a Zelda turn based RPG made specifically to rival Squaresoft. We never know what might happen.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
All they need to do is have Miyamoto write a how-to book on his way of creating games. His thought process and how he approaches things, what not to do, and to learn from his mistakes and actually LISTEN TO FAN INPUT.
Create a whole training program around the ways of Miyamoto. All of these things, to be kept deep within the walls of Nintendo's secret fortress where the walls are made of Lutetium Metal, and where the timeline and OoT Triforce, imprisoned Sony employees, et cetera rest, of course.
Also, they would have to have a contract that states that any leakage or sharing of this information will result in a permanent windowing, (Look it up. Japanese business practices.) along with being constantly watched by Nintendo's personal branch of Yazuka agents. (You can identify them by their red hats and odd mustaches.)

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I still think Nintendo will exist plus I also think when Gaming gets to Virtual Reality in your house that's about as far as we could take gaming anyway and eventually that's gonna happen. Mario I think is still going to go on even if Eiji Anouma takes because so many fans love Mario same for DK and also There hasn't been a new Starfox game since ?(Please inform me about that one). I don't think Anouma will change Zelda that drastically(I know he's referring ot ST) I always liked how Miyamoto made the gameplay fun and the controls relatively simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom