• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda game with playable female?

Would you be happy to have a female option?

• Yay!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Not really :/

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess I didn't explicitly say my reason, but I was simply thinking that some people may want to play as a female character.

Hyrule Warriors?

Spirit Tracks?

Seriously, this is not about just giving us a female character to play as. This is about changing Link himself. That is why people are taking offense. Nobody is against female playable characters.

I would continue to play as a male character, and this little addition to a game could broaden the appeal and enhance other people's enjoyment of the game. If it simply is a choice, you could continue to play as a male Link, and this wouldn't affect you at all.

And thus we have the problem. This isn't for story or being accessible. It's changing it for the sake of some feel-good notion about being for "everybody". You just bulldoze a beloved, established character to make your feel-good "everybody" game. That is what is not right.

It's like taking Silent Hill and making Harry Mason a girl. (I hate the movie.) No, Silent Hill did it right, and gave us a whole new game where we played as his daughter.

Last edited:

Bishop Rodan

Godslayer
I am completely in support of a female Link option. Link has no personality anyway (bar certain incarnations like TWW Link) and is little more than an avatar for the player, so making him a her wouldn't change much at all. It wouldn't affect gameplay either way so it's not like giving people the option would hurt anyone, bar a few crybabies who will lament how YOU RUINED LINK'S CHARACTER
emot-qq.gif
. I don't even get it because unlike Samus or Mario or whatever, Link isn't even a singular character; it's canon that there are multiple incarnations of Link throughout the series and there's nothing saying that none of those incarnations can be female.

But honestly, the biggest reason I want it to happen is because the outrage from the aforementioned crybabies would be comedy gold. :crisis:

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I do not see what is ironic about my post. Thanks for responding with a meme presumably meant as an attack though! :bestestcool:

Attack? Why would I attack you?

No, the irony is that you and your ilk are the ones that seem to be the most butt-hurt.

Anyways, I hope that cleared that up.

This thread has gone to the pooper, so enjoy your discourse. Good day.

Bishop Rodan

Godslayer
Attack? Why would I attack you?

No, the irony is that you and your ilk are the ones that seem to be the most butt-hurt.

Anyways, I hope that cleared that up.

This thread has gone to the pooper, so enjoy your discourse. Good day.
lol who is "my ilk" supposed to refer to

and I'm curious why you thought I was butthurt, my post seemed pretty calm to me

Kirino

Tatakae
Link has little to no character or personality in the first place, has several distinct incarnations, and is primarily meant to be an avatar for the player. I don't see any problem with having a female Link, or at least having the option to switch genders. It seems really silly to me that people would so adamantly oppose even the choice to switch despite the fact that it wouldn't affect them, solely because they want to limit others based on some weird and arbitrary principle.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
(1) if you want to play as a female character, there are games out there that allow for that. The Legend of Zelda is not one of those series. And yes, it would affect me in the sense that it would alter the game in an intrinsic way. Link is male. Giving an option for a female Link is not the same as giving an option to play as either Link or Zelda.

I'll give you a pass since you said "as far as I know". But in my opinion, Bayonetta being female is extremely important to the series. As is the case for Metroid. Maybe Halo could get away with it (I'm not really a big Halo fan, so I can't say). The point is, no one is asking to change other characters, so why ask for Link to be changed?

And as is the case with Mario, instead of changing the canonical sex of the character, why not just as more playable characters? With different moves/skills? Super Mario Bros. 2 did this, allowing us to play as Peach, and she had different skills than Mario and Luigi. In fact, those skills from that game have gone on to become a staple for her in subsequent games.

But what they didn't do is make Mario into Maria.
I haven't played much Bayonetta, but isn't the main character actually the same person in both of the games? And, isn't Samus actually the same person in all of the games? The only one that can hold a candle to the Zelda series as far as the main character is concerned is Mario from your examples, but he might actually be the same person each game, I don't really know. If Halo decided or Nintendo decided to make a new incarnation of "Master Chief" or "Samus" or even the Bayonetta as a male under the same name, I think that would be cool as long as they don't actually have the character get a sex change in the series. But if that's what they chose to do, then more power to them. If they decide to have Link the man get a surgical sex change to become a female, I wouldn't buy that either. But I don't think a female born into the role of a hero in the Zelda franchise is too far'fetched.

I think you missed the point already. Nintendo could. Nintendo also could make Samus into a man. Or Mario into a squirrel. Or Fox into a Ninja Hamster. But they won't. Because of canon. Because it would change the series.
I've gone over this earlier in the thread why the comparison is ridiculous. Samus is actually one person. Link, while incarnations similar to one another, is not. He is multiple people spanning throughout ages, incarnated over and over. And I feel a female as just as much ability to be as courageous, adventurous, and heroic as a male. I don't see why a female incarnation of Link should turn anyone away from the series.[/quote]

I appeal to history (not authority) because history is the relevant point here. "Link should remain male because Link is male" is not a logical fallacy. It's a fact. Disney could change Luke Skywalker into a woman right now, and it would become canon immediately. That doesn't mean they will or that they should. Change for the sake of change is hardly ever good.

There has to be some actual gameplay rationale for something like this to be changed. And "just so people can play as a girl" is not a good reason.

How about to give the series some spice and diversity? To keep it from becoming stale? Again, like I've said previously, I think having the hero be a female can open up at least one (though I can already think of several more) different story plots that a male might not necessarily have, or that would seem awkward for a male protagonist to go through, which I think would turn more people off the series than the addition of a female Link. While some people might advocate Link being female "just because", I think a lot of the argument is to open up more unique story ideas.

MW7

As for the rest of your points, yes, there have been tweaks to the gameplay. But most of them still lead to Link being the wielder of the Triforce of Courage. In the first Zelda, there were only two Triforce, so it did not apply. Not until the 3rd Triforce was added was it engraved into canon. And it has been. It is canon now. Just because the creator of the story can change the canon/history/lore of the story doesn't mean that it should or that it will.
I guess I should back up and explain where I'm coming from. I've always thought of Link as a "link to the player" which would imply that Link is merely a generic hero through which the player experiences the game. This view has been supported by the game's developers in the past http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3...nfirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/.

In this interview after Aonuma confirmed that the figure seen is a male Link, he said basically downplayed the importance of the gender of the character. "Aonuma added that he didn't want people to think too much about Link's gender, because the character is supposed to represent the player. 'The reason for that is because, for me, Link is the player,' said Aonuma to GameSpot. 'And I don't want to look too closely at, or give too much information about, who the player character is, because it's supposed to represent the player--him or herself. The character's a hero, and represents the player in the game, so I leave that to the player to decide what the characteristics are of the player character, because it's supposed to represent him or herself. If that makes sense!' "

The guy who produced the series for decades says the character represents the person playing the game, male or female. Therefore, I think that Link's gender is totally irrelevant. I'll admit that Link has always been referred to as male, and occasionally it makes a slight difference in the story, but Aonuma basically says that Link's characteristics are up for each individual player's interpretation. On that basis you are more than welcome to believe that Link is necessarily male, but you are no more correct than the people who name the playable character after themselves. That raises my final point. What differentiates Legend of Zelda from most other franchises you mentioned is that not only does your selected name differentiate your save file, it becomes your character's identity. In this respect Legend of Zelda's Link is more like the first generation of Pokemon's character Red than Mario, Samus, etc. Link is just the generic name for the character; the person who saves Hyrule is whoever the player wants it to be.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Again, I do not see how there being multiple incarnations of Link means anything. The "reincarnation" in Zelda is not a plot point, hell it's not even confirmed to exist, it's a means to an end, that end being the excuse to have the same group of characters over and over and over, it's the same reason why Ganondorf somehow is capable of living for centuries on end. This is especially noticeable when you take into account, that across these incarnations, there is no evidence to even say that Link and Zelda will visually change at all, meaning canonically you have several characters all sprouting up, all looking the same, with the same genetics, with the same clothes, and with the same voice in many cases, and the same name, and even in some cases the backstory; it's frankly illogical to assume that there's nothing in the lore about what these incarnations can and can't be, the same goes for outside the lore.

Likewise, I find the argument, about avoiding staleness, well again, not logical, what exactly does boobs or a different skin tone add to Zelda? What stories, given Zeldas nature and family friendly approach can be written with these additions? What makes them so important that regular old Link can't just be there? From my perspective nothing. None of the possible stories I can think off, or the possible additions, in my opinion, add anything worth value to the series, that would outweigh the loss of the it's main character.

Finally, for the argument, that Link is suppose to be an avatar, well I agree, but I think it's highly disingenuous to assume that all avatars function the same way. Chell from portal is an avatar, Samus in many ways functioned as an avatar, as has Mario, Sonic, and many others, by being silent protagonists, which makes the only difference between them and Link, the ever fleeting in importance name option, which it should be reminded is not only an aspect that full blown characters had, but is also completely irrelevant, and is a whole lot different than anything in pokemon, as unlike any other series, the name Link has been so forced down everyones throat that no one anywhere can possibly even pretend that the character doesn't have a name anymore. Seriously, this is no longer a faceless avatar, it's a single character, that sometimes, not all the time, gets a slight redesign, mostly changing the saturation of some of the colors, or changing some equally small thing like which direction his hair is parted. To drop everything now after 30 years and make him customizable or a woman is a disservice to long time fans and the very foundation of the series, as well as the myriad of female options that would add to the gameplay and story structure, much much more than gender bending or race bending Link would.

It's silly, that some yall see things like this, and try to make the argument, that Link isn't a singular character:
iii.png

iiiiiiii.png

All these are suppose to be completely different characters? Yeah right.:lol:

Like seriously, the biggest jumps in his design where these:
iiiiiiiiiiiiiio.png

And not only did every single one, retain the exact same basics of being a young, blond, blue, eyed, Hylian boy in a green tunic and floppy hat, named Link, or that ever since then with the invention of things like OOX Link, and SS Link they've slowly started to bridge the gaps between each design further homogenizing Link as a whole, but the absolute cherry on top of it all is that this type of three way design split isn't even uncommon for other characters.
Sonic3designs.png

Mario3designes.png

Making the only difference between Link and these other characters, just that technically, within the lore the incarnations of Link aren't always the exact same person, which:

A)Isn't even 100% true as Paper Mario is not the same Mario as say SM64 Mario, it is canonically a different universe, and when you consider the story of Super Mario Galaxy, and the unconfirmed theories about Peach being Rosalina's mom, the Mario universe is constantly repeating, making the actual number of Marios far greater than just the two we have here. Likewise, Boom Sonic is not the same Sonic as Generations Sonic, again a different universe.

:cool:Never is it shown how any incarnation of Link or Zelda ever die or are born, we've actually no evidence to say that the incarnations aren't the same people, for all we know, when they die their bodies could just metamorphosis into the next one. As unlikely as that is, there's no evidence to say it doesn't happen, as each game is so self contained and divorced from one another that literally anything can happen in-between them, as they're hardly meant to even connect. Which brings me to my third point.

C)Each Zelda game, even if it references a past game, exists for all intents and purposes, as it's own separate universe, even with the invention of the timeline, and lo and behold each main game contains the character Link, and the princess Zelda, and of course some ganondorf looking fellow, or just ganon himself, sound familiar.

It should, as it's the same **** Mario does as a series, the only difference here, is that instead of having the excuse of being all about the gameplay and thus not caring about why Bowser seems to attack weekly, Zelda just said

"uh...well crap, they're different characters. That works right?"

Hell no where else is this more relevant than in HH itself, AoL was the game that invented the whole Zelda's name is Zelda because of a some law, to sorta make sense as to why in a sequel the damsel we saved was more snow white, than before (and yes it's the same damsel as they didn't even bother to make her look different,) and yet, despite having set this in place, the very next move that Nintendo did was make a prequel...involving Princess Zelda. Then they made another prequel...involving Princess Zelda.:rolleyes: The point? Well now thirty years later, after they tried to put a rationale behind their titular character being named Zelda, said rationale is at the end of their official timeline, meaning there's a whole timeline and two whole timeline splits where the princess is named Zelda for no other reason than because of the fact that she's an iconic character and that's her name, which I don't know about the rest of yall, but to me that screams,

"These characters and their designs matter more to the series, than each individual games story, or any narrative that connects them."

Which shouldn't come as a shock to anyone considering how Nintendo treats their characters, and what they've said in the past about designing games gameplay first, characters second, and story last.

Finally finally finally, as a note to the driving force behind this nonsense, inclusiveness, which in all reality is more patronizing than accepting, I stand by what I've said, that I don't need Link to be like me, I don't need any characters to be like me, all I ask is that they're cool and fun to play as, and since I first started playing Zelda as a young kid, Link has been just that. I don't want a fem Link, I don't want a trans Link, I don't want a bisexual Link, I just want Link to be Link.

Last edited:
I think it's important to consider Link's relationship with other characters in the Zelda universe when discussing changing him from a male to female.

Link has primarily served as the courageous foil to the power hungry motives of Ganon(dorf). A lot of their differences are accentuated by how similar they are: Both are elite warriors who were born under unusual circumstances and whose destinies ultimately intertwine. Link's identity as a male warrior is not limited by what he is, but by what Ganondorf is: The only male born to his people every 100 years. Changing Link to a female would break the parallels and contrast brought about by this important plot point.

If you believe in the literal interpretation of the Demise curse, that adds another possible explanation for why Link and Ganondorf are recurring male characters and Zelda is a recurring female character.

I don't mind seeing a canon game where we get to take control of Zelda (and perhaps save Link from the clutches of evil), but Link cannot be changed simply because he himself is a seemingly expressionless character who only grunts and hollers in response to others; his individual role has to be taken into the context of the franchise as a whole.

On the subject of save files, I present a large pile of JRPGs. In Tales of Vesperia, I can rename Yuri to "Fishmonger", but that doesn't really change who he is.

I guess I should back up and explain where I'm coming from. I've always thought of Link as a "link to the player" which would imply that Link is merely a generic hero through which the player experiences the game. This view has been supported by the game's developers in the past http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3...nfirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/.

Yes, I know he says that. But take that in the context of other quotes, such as this:

"Aonuma: It’s actually very tricky. I still want the player to feel as though they are Link; they are in Link’s shoes doing all these actions. But, at the same time, he also needs to be a character in a game in a space. So what we’ve tried to do with him is make him a character that the player wants to be. Someone who’s shoes you want to be in or that you want to act on behalf of. But it should also feel like it’s the player. So we tried to make him appealing somehow; make him cute, or handsome, or cool. Something that draws the player in. Because otherwise, if he’s just this blank slate, then there’s no draw; there’s nothing that makes you want to be put in his shoes and take on these challenges. So it’s a balance, and it’s certainly something that we struggle with and something that we’ll probably continue to struggle with when making Zelda games."

http://zeldauniverse.net/features/3...d-shipping-one-of-gamings-biggest-franchises/

I bring you back once again to my DnD comparison. Link's not so much the player as a role the player takes on for the sake of the experience.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
:notzd:
^In many ways, I'd argue, that when they say "Link represents the player" they don't mean he represents you visually, but rather he represents you in terms of actions and in terms of being the physical "Link" between the player and Hyrule.

I also feel like the same mentality is at play in the quote MW7 brought forth; Anouma isn't saying Link's gender can be changed since it's irrelevant, he's saying it's irrelevant since he doesn't visually represent the player and as such should not be cared about. This is the same mentality they have had with TFH.

Link is, as you said, a role, he's an established character in the lore, and a significant part of the branding of the series, he's not a avatar in the sense of being a visual representation of the character, but more in the sense of being a singular iconic face that everyone aspires to be like.

I mean seriously, if he was suppose to be the player, then they already messed up pretty badly by making him an elf, something no one irl actually is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom