• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon Pokemon Sprite Competition #2

Welcome to the second in the official Zelda Dungeon Pokemon Sprite competition!

We'd like to appoligize for our tardiness on this. We promised every two weeks, but what has it been ... about a month?

Anyway, we'd like to start out with saying anyone who doesn't know how to sprite or would just like some tips, check out this website: What we do on that site is entitled "mixing"

http://www.freewebs.com/howtosprite/

They've got tutorials in other things as well if you'd like to check those out, but make sure you know how to splice.

Now for the rules. They're pretty similar to last time's rules. Mostly because I copied and pasted, but some changes have been made so make sure to read over them again.

1. You may not enter with one or both of the sprite containing parts of a legendary pokemon. This is because they would be far overused as they tend to be deemed 'cool' or 'awesome' and the like and they would get an unfair advantage. Due to a vote amongst the people running the competition, Pikachu has also been banned.

2. Only two pokemon may be merged. This is to prevent any unfair advantages with having more parts available to you. So, if you were mixing a Blissey and a Gengar, you couldn't use Haunter's hand, despite Haunter and Gengar being of the same evolutionary line. You can use colors from the same evolutionary line, so long as they don't drastically change with each evolution, such as Trapinch to Flygon.

3. You may not enter more than one sprite. If you have the same sprite, but two versions, perhaps one's slightly changed and you want to enter both, you cannot do that. You have to choose one or the other, or neither. You can update your entry, though. You may also revert back to the original, however, if judges have started to vote on yours, you cannot change it at all.

4. Convincing or bribing the judges of ANY kind is an automatic ban and more than likely a ban from any further competitions we may have. This should be a given and is highly frowned upon in here. If the judges report any of this type of behavior to me or Durion or Shnappy, you will not be allowed to enter our competitions again.

5. You are allowed to custom sprite parts of your pokemon, so long as either of the pokemon contain this part. This is because if everyone was allowed to custom sprite their entire sprite, it would be unfair. An example of when you might want to do that is if you have a feature of a pokemon that you want on there that doesn't quite fit with the body of the other. Custom spriting that part would be the only way to go. If we see a part that was custom sprited and we can't tell where that part came from, a banning would be in consideration.

6. You cannot merge two of the same evolutionary line. This is because the two pokemon likely look very similar and would basically the exact same. This would make your pokemon too generic and won't be allowed to compete. You won't be banned, you will just be asked for a new entry. Some exceptions is like Glalie and Froslass, where they turn into two entirely different pokemon depending on certain variables. An exception to this exception is the Eeveeloutions, as it would be too common. This may be a theme in a later competition, however. This doesn't mean you can't merge the Eevee's with other pokemon.

7. The sprites merged must be from the current Gen pokemon titles. This means if you merge a Donphan from HG/SS, you can't merge it with an Ursaring from FR/LG. This is just to keep consistency with the entries, and besides, they likely won't work well together anyway. Gen 5 has been announced and some sprites are already out. Those may not be used as well, although they do look to be in a similar style to the current gen sprites.

8. Sprites entered in a previous competition are not allowed reentry. This is obvious, as we don't want each competition to be a repeat of the last one.

9. Please save your image as a PNG. This isn't a requirement, it's just PNG is the clearest image and allows for transparency. If you can't do PNG (although almost all image editors allow it) DON'T save it as a jpg. jpg destroys the quality of sprite images and doesn't allow transparency at all.

These rules are subject to change, so read up if I announce a rule change.

How the Judging will work.

I have asked 5 members of this community to judge, and they are ChargewiththeSword, Xinnamin, Vergo-a-go-go, Steve and Axle the Beast. Remember rule number 4, and respect them. They have every right to remove a sprite from competition. They will score your sprite a score of 1-100 in any way they please. Once all three have given their opinion, your sprite's score will be tallied and your final score will be given. Once the final score is given, the winner will be announced.

If for whatever reason there is a tie, the two that have sprited the ties will create a mix of two pokemon of Shnappy, Durion and I's choosing. The judges will judge those entries and pick a winner.

More judges means a more fair judging, but we require there to be an odd number of judges, so if you would like to be a judge, just ask, although, we don't want there to be more judges than entrants.

So, what do I win?

Well, other than bragging rights and the winning sprite gets to be your most prized possession, you get a fancy userbar to be displayed anywhere you want! It's designed for use in your signature, though.
Durion_winner.png

We can change the pokemon, the gradient or really anything to make you happy with your userbar. Other than the userbar, we do have caption awards like last time. The award for these are kept secret until the end.

Fair enough? Here are some links you may be interested if you are competing:

Again, the website that is good at teaching spriting
http://www.freewebs.com/howtosprite/

Pokemon Elite 2000's Sprite Resource. This is a compilation of almost every sprite in every pokemon game. They don't have the sprites from Heartgold/SoulSilver, however.
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites.html

The Spriters Resource. Although less organized than the previous, they do have the poses from Heartgold/Soulsilver.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/

The GIMP. A freeware image editing tool that you may want to consider using over paint.
http://www.gimp.org/

Currently, here is all who have entered. If you would like to enter, please say so. You do not have to include your sprite with your entry immediately.

Durion
Slownite.png

Slownite
Judge 1: 85
Judge 2: 86
Judge 3: 83
Judge 4: 96
Total: 350

Zenox
Rampinite.png

Rampinite
Judge 1: 88
Judge 2: 85
Judge 3: 73
Judge 4: 96
Total: 342

jebus_thecatman
abgon-1.png

Abgon
Judge 1: 85
Judge 2: 92
Judge 3: 65
Judge 4: 85
Total: 327

Fredthehylian
attachment.php

Goldoom
Judge 1: 75
Judge 2: 76
Judge 3: 100
Judge 4: 90
Total: 341

Epwna
3496wx3.png

Grimadile
Judge 1: 75
Judge 2: 80
Judge 3: 79
Judge 4: 80
Total: 314

Dracomajora
attachment.php

Doomsol
Judge 1: 80
Judge 2: 78
Judge 3: 53
Judge 4: 55
Total: 266

Mute
Skarogue.png

Scarogue
Judge 1: 90
Judge 2: 78
Judge 3: 64
Judge 4: 90
Total: 322

Please do not PM your entry or your wanting to enter. All of that is to be posted here. I will completely ignore both if they are PM'ed to me.

Last edited:
I'll post my own sprite later, I have been working on a few recently but I am going to use Tyranidos.

Tyranidos.png

Last edited:
Did you get the PM of my sprite, or should I resend it?

I can't understand what exactly you PM'ed me. You don't need to send me the story of your sprite because it won't get posted and frankly no one cares. We're just judging you on the sprite itself.
Also, your sprite disobeyed some of the rules. You will want to make another.

Goldoom_by_fredtherarestpokemon.jpg

I've already got an arsenal, and it came down to three different choices for me; Wobbutops, Flatic, and Goldoom. The choice? Goldoom.
Best of luck to the rest of you.

Everyone who entered has been added, although, fred. I made it clear last time, I made it clear this time, I'll make it clear again.

Please, please, PLEASE refrain from making your sprites JPG. Sprites were never intended to be jpg, those are for pictures and screenshots of 3D console games.

Infact, I am going to change my choice and use this instead, Tyranidos doesn't really take a lot from Tyranitar.

Slownite.png

Kirino

Tatakae
can i join? This is my first sprite so its not very good but...

dragonair.png
I call it Typhlonair.please click the image to see the larger version cause this one sucks.
pencil.png

Last edited:
Please, please, PLEASE refrain from making your sprites JPG. Sprites were never intended to be jpg, those are for pictures and screenshots of 3D console games.

Yeah, I know. I just remembered the site I submitted my picture to has spontaneous filters, and I never know when they're gonna convert it from PNG to JPEG. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Alright, I've submitted it to an album, and I hope this is better.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom