• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Your Thoughts on the Original?

Kirino

Tatakae
What do you think about the original Legend of Zelda.I think its a very great game.The exploration is so amazing.In the game I was on death moutain and i saw a rock.I thought it looked suspicsious and blew it up,next thing i know im in Ganons Tower!o_OSo what do you think?I would like it if you gave a mini reveiw but you dont have to.

OotLord1003

Young Link
Well, The legend of zelda, one of the hardest games I have EVER played.
Yet the enemies, dungeons, and story is astounding; and I really wish they made a 3D remake of it.
But I highly recommend it to ANYONE.

Epona

Ordon Village
I love the original Legend of Zelda. It's a game I've been playing for years and years since I was five years old, and to this day it's never gotten old or boring or easy. Especially the second quest. I love the fact that there's a whole new quest after the first. That was like getting two games in one.

And I kind of liked the fact that you could only hold 255 rupies. It really made the game more challenging, especially when you really needed medicine or the big shield or some other item. It's nice to actually need rupies, instead of having more rupies than I know what to do with like in some other Zelda games.

I like the different areas of the map and I love the exploration aspect of the game. Nothing was really handed to you the first time playing. The desert, mountains, lost woods, forest, were all nice different areas to explore. Bombing random walls/rocks and setting fire to different bushes to find secrets was really fun too.

The bosses are challenging, yet not too difficult. Even though I've played the game countless times, I still die every so often trying to kill a boss. Even the enemies. Wizzrobes are some of the toughest enemies in the game. They still kick my butt every time I play. Darknuts are so much fun to kill, trying to sneak up on them from the side or from behind was a great challenge.

And I love the non-linearity. You can go back into a dungeon as many times as you want/need to, get heart containers whenever you want, and do most of the dungeons in any order (except Level 9, of course). I usually do Levels 7 and 8 before Level 6. I save Level 6 for last because of the enemies in there. I always want to have the most heart containers possible before doing Level 6. Another thing I do sometimes is do Level 8 as soon as possible to get the Master Key. I try it just for a big challenge, even just after beating Level 1, when I only have just a few hearts. Then I don't have to worry about keys for the rest of the game.

So yes, I love the game. I don't think I'll ever get sick of it. I still haven't mastered the Second Quest, and it'll probably be years before I do.

Kirino

Tatakae
I usually do Levels 7 and 8 before Level 6. I save Level 6 for last because of the enemies in there. I always want to have the most heart containers possible before doing Level 6.

Yeah,on my first playthrough(which isnt finished yet)i did level 1,2,3,then 4 and skipped straight to level 8.(i was exploring and found it at the time by pure luck)unfourtanatly after many tries i couldnt beat it but got far enough to get the magic book!Which was good since i recently beat level 6 and got the magic rod.now its unbelibevly powerful!:devil:i love the non linearaty.heres the order of my dungeouns.123468579.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I love the original. It was the first video game I ever played by myself, and the first game I ever beat.
I still love playing it to this day. The huge amount of exploration, trial and error and the lack of any real detail made this game incredibly challenging and fun. And it was non-linear, which makes me super happy. I hate doing things in a set order. It makes all other replays nowhere near as interesting.

I just hate the fact that I got all the way to Ganon, but couldn't find the Silver Arrow. Level nine is crazy and puts the Cave of Ordeals to shameeee!

I'd love for the series to make another game like this, where you're out on your own, have very little to no guidance, and have no choice but to search every corner of Hyrule for whatever it is you're out searching for. Of course, that probably won't happen, since then there wouldn't be much of an intriguing story line, which made the games the way they are today.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I think editing your post will also allow you to change the prefix.

It was my first Zelda and one of the only games I played on the NES. I have pretty fond memories of it because of that. Going back and playing it again a year and a half ago was what motivated me to try to play other LoZ titles I've missed.

Sometimes it boggles me that that this game was released before internet guides were common. It's really a community experience. I mean, you could complete it 100% by yourself...if you were willing to bomb/burn everything on the screen (and realized the warp whistle was for more than just warping.) However, that's part of the charm. Nowadays if you get really stuck you can find out within minutes what you're missing even without checking a walkthrough. Back then, you had to call your friends, or physically hunt down a strategy guide, or...actually, I sound like I'm about to add "and walk to school in six feet of snow" so I'll stop now. *g*

That being said, it was so much fun to randomly burn bushes, etc, and find things by accident yourself. There's a "Did you ever draw a map" thread somewhere and I'm wishing I had thought of doing that as a kid. I also like that you never knew if what you were finding was good or bad (ie, "pay the door repair charge") in the original.

I almost always did the dungeons in order, though, because I'm weird like that. Actually, if I found one out of order I'd walk out of it and go back in later. Heh.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Original was the very first Zelda game that I beat without a Guide (except for Gannon). It was very challenging, and I spent over a month trying to beat it. I loved the items, and the fact that you need rupees throughout the game. It was very fun, and I wish they would make a 3D remake of the game, possibly on the 3DS? The game was non-linear, doing dungeons in any order was amazing. I haven't tried the second quest yet, I hear that it is really hard. I love the Original as much as OoT, because it started Zelda as a whole :D

Epona

Ordon Village
I'd love for the series to make another game like this, where you're out on your own, have very little to no guidance, and have no choice but to search every corner of Hyrule for whatever it is you're out searching for. Of course, that probably won't happen, since then there wouldn't be much of an intriguing story line, which made the games the way they are today.

I agree. When I played A Link to the Past for the first time, I was kind of disappointed in the fact that every dungeon was labeled for you on your map. Why did they do that? I loved exploring and having to find the dungeons myself in the Original, but they took that away in ALttP. The game was still fun, but having the dungeons labeled right from the start took something away from the game, I thought.

L

Link's Shadow

I loved the original! It's probably one of the only games that I've played that let's you completely explore its land and that doesn't hold your hand throughout it. Gotta admit though, I used a guide on Ganon's Tower after I kept getting lost :(.

X

xeno_9696

i loved the origanal N64 one because i got it for my birthday and it was fun to play

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
The original OoT for the Nintendo 64 was absolutely phenomenal. They storyline was so compelling and breathtaking. The graphics seemed ahead of its time to me. When I played this game for the first time, I honestly remember my parents video taping me. I didn't get it, but it was a memory that really lasts a lifetime. OoT will really settle in your heart if you enjoy the game to its fullest. I found that OoT has many breathtaking and heartbreaking moments. There were moments of surprise and moments that you didn't understand what was going on. OoT was a very well-written and well-designed game. The scenery was stunning and I could just stand in one spot and look around for hours without getting bored and without never finding something different each time I look around. OoT for the N64 was my first game and #1 favorite game. I don't think that anything could beat OoT.

The original Zelda was tough without guides on the Internet. Man, I could never figure out how to get to the dungeons. I literally walked on every space of the game and had a little map to figure it out. Good stuff. Never did find the final dungeon until I checked it out on the internet.

cmeks

A lonely wanderer
Haha, the original LoZ. man i have memories of playing it for like 2 hours at a time always trying to get to the next level. i remember i spent a whole 2 days just burning and blowing stuff up and wasting tons of rupies. I remember when i found my first heart container that wasnt in sight or easy to get to. I was estactic lol. I also remember when after i found all the secrets in the game i tried to do a speed run with 0 deaths. It was a succesful speed run and i was proud of myself. Still havnt beaten the second quest, ill always get to the 3rd level then quit because it was just too damn hard! lol. But ill beat it someday.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom