• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your thoughts about original LoZ

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I was going to type some big thing about how LoZ and BotW aren't remotely similar games but I've explained it so much I'm kind of tired and I'll probably just let people think BotW is returning to Zelda's roots/a perfection of what LoZ was trying to accomplish/whatever

Having replayed it recently, I have to say...it's really misunderstood. It was a lot different than how many people described it and how I remembered it. Much more linearly structured and much less random OCD exploration- -or at least, very little of it needed to get through the game and the more important caves are in obvious locations.
Could you elaborate? I couldn’t beat the game without random exploration and cannot think how anyone could unless hints are given.

I was going to type some big thing about how LoZ and BotW aren't remotely similar games but I've explained it so much I'm kind of tired and I'll probably just let people think BotW is returning to Zelda's roots/a perfection of what LoZ was trying to accomplish/whatever
I’d like to hear your thoughts. If you have some freetime or are bored, please post links to your explanations or even better explain them again. You’re most welcome to do that.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Basically, the game often guided you directly or indirectly. The first three dungeons are easy to find, and it's reasonable to do them out of order, but after that the game becomes more linear. In the third dungeon, an old man introduces you to the waterfall to get the 2nd sword. From here, the only path to the fourth dungeon is with your new raft from Dungeon 3. In Dungeon 4, another old man tells you to walk IN the waterfall, which leads you to an old woman, who explains how to reach Dungeon 5. In Dungeon 5, you get the stepladder, which leads you to Dungeon 6. In Dungeon 6, you have yet another old man who tells you how to find Dungeon 7. And I forget if it's Dungeon 7 or 8 which has an old man telling you how to reach Death Mountain.

While there's a pattern of the game telling you where you need to go, there's also indirect methods of guiding you. For example, once the game pushes you to check out the waterfall, you have explored the east. Once Dungeon 5 is done, the logical next step is to explore the west. This, alongside your new stepladder, would lead you to Dungeon 6. There are hidden areas, but most of the important ones are obvious. For example, the magic ring is at a dead end with two statues and nothing else.

The only really random hiding spot is Dungeon 8, beneath some random tree. But even then, it was clear to me that it would be underneath a tree. Why? Because in Dungeon 7, I had just received a new red candle that I could use as many times as I want per screen. To me it seemed obvious that the path forward involved burning trees.

DarkestLink, thank you for taking time to explain me that so well. You are absolutely right. It’s guided to do in certain order. I see I failed to follow game logic totally.

Whaaat? There was an old woman telling the location of 7th dungeon? I must have missed that. I found 7th dungeon by accident when I just wanted to warp to an entrance of another dungeon. Before that I was setting bushes on fire with that stupid blue candle which almost made me give up. It was pure luck I was near the pond when played the flute. What was the hint that was given about location of dungeon 7?

Because of messing with finding the 7th dungeon I got the feeling that random exploration was necessary. I was wrong.

Dungeon 8 was not in random place. It was also hinted. Old man in some room in overworld told that there’s a secret at the dead end. Figured out it must be a tree or a bush or something that you can set on fire because as you said better candle was given in dungeon 7. And there weren’t so many bushes that made a dead end so it was quickly found

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't recall Dungeon 8 being at a dead end, I'd have to check again. As for Dungeon 7, you're given a hint--I forget the exact wording--about a spring with no fairies. There's a neighboring spring to the Great Fairy spring where this applies.

Lol by missing one hint I made my experience a lot worse.
7th was pond/spring, 8th was under bush at the dead end and 9th was at spectacular rock in death mountain.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I love the game. Very replayable, pretty challenging (but not too bad if youre used to NES difficulty), and plenty of map to explore. Could use to make the secrets less seemingly random, but outside that itd fun.

I loved it when I first played it as a child. I was awed and a bit intimidated by this big world I got to explore. Years later as an adult? I still love the hell out of it.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I'm currently playing through it for the first time and am up to the 8th Level.

The game is much more challenging than the newer titles I've played and can get quite frustrating at times. I did need a guide to find the 8th Level as I couldn't for the life of me find it anywhere. But I think the game is a masterpiece for its time, if I had my hands on it as a child it would have given me so many hours of exploring in the days before I had Internet access. I feel like so far Level 6 and Level 8 have been a significant jump in difficulty compared to the others (still not up to Level 9 yet), but the game generally does a good job at guiding and hinting at where you need to go.

LoZ is absolutely worth playing, atleast once. Out of curiosity, did you spend a lot of time searching 8th level? And it would be fun to hear your thoughts about the game when you have reached 9th level and finished the game.
Have you ever played AoL?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
LoZ is absolutely worth playing, atleast once. Out of curiosity, did you spend a lot of time searching 8th level? And it would be fun to hear your thoughts about the game when you have reached 9th level and finished the game.
Have you ever played AoL?

I spent hours looking for it before finally giving in and getting a guide to check the location.

I'll update my thoughts after I've finished :)

I've never played AoL either, but that'll be right after I finish this one hopefully.

Quin

Disaster Master
One of the best zelda games. Although I love the zelda games after as well, I was always a little sad it lost the openness of this game. I'm glad BOTW brought it back, even though it didn't hit every mark, like dungeons

Zelda 1 sucks. It's easy to get lost, and the dungeons(especially the second one)are hard to find.

I don't know how people back in the day would have been able to figure things out without Nintendo Power to help them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom