• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Potion Usage

Since I recently began playing Skyward Sword once again, I really started to notice just how much they pushed potions at the beginning of the game. Both citizens of Skyloft and Fi constantly advise you to pick up some potions for your journey. I was annoyed by this.
Anyways, it's actually just recently that I began to realize how little I use potions in Zelda games. I practically never buy potions, ever. I feel they are a very major part of almost every game, however I just never felt the need for them. There are usually plenty of hearts available to find in any given area . . .
I was just curious, how often do you use potions in Zelda games? Do you consider them very necessary? Do you constantly "stock up" as recommended in Skyward Sword and other games? I personally always thought Fairies were a better use of my Empty Bottle space, how about you?

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Skyward Sword is actually the only game I use potions in. I find Heart Potion ++ to be more useful and easier to get than fairies. It's hard for me to find fairies in that game.

But other games... yeah, fairies are definitely a better choice. I don't think I EVER bought a potion in The Wind Waker...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't use anything in bottles besides Magic Potions (although I use Red potions in Ocarina because I play 3HCs and I don't have Lon Lon Milk atm), SS lacks magic bar and thus has no Potion. Skyward Sword never warranted the usage of potions, even in Hero Mode, because I just don't get hit!

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Outside of my initial playthrough, in which I only get standard red potions, if anything, I never purchase or use potions. I catch fairies when I can, only so I don't have to respawn at the start of the Dungeon if I accidentally die.

A

atthemags

Skyward Sword was the only 3D game where I felt that having a potion (or two) was needed, and as everyone saw during the epic Skyward Sword finale during the marathon, we needed to tap into that guardian potion to finish off Demise.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I only buy potions to cheat my way into more points on Beedle's point card in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I do this by buying potions repeatedly and them drinking them on the spot, then repeating. I don't normally use potions for reasons other than that. Maybe I should start carrying more of them so I don't have to scour the whole overworld for recovery hearts when I'm low on health...

Night Owl

~Momentai
The only games I use potions on are: OoA, OoS, LA the potions take effect when you die; ST, PH only purple potions for said reason; ALttP, OoT I use the magic related potions (OoT only for the final battle). Otherwise I've never found potions to be useful as I tend to die before I realize I need them. Fairies on the other hand are always in my bottles.

I did cheat in SS by using a guardian potion++ on my fight with Demise

In every other Zelda game i've never used bottle for anything besides fairies and if Lon Lon milk, I never used the tears in TP or e soup in WW, i never needed to. I have my bottles full of potions in SS but i've never used one, there are always stumps to sit on if you're playing hero mode so there is nothing to worry about, and its still easy as hell.

I prefer fairies over potions because I don't want to use a potion until I only have 1/4 of a heart left but I always die before I notice, therefor fairies are better. But lately it does seem like the potions are beeing pushed onto us. Didn't a fairy used to restore all my hearts? But now they only restore six! Or was it eight? Whatever, I'll always prefere fairies anyways.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I prefer using fairies as long as I find them (apart from the beginning of OoT, when I still have only a few hearts, then I favor Lon Lon Milk), that way I don't have to think about finding the right moment to use a potion and the fairy does all the work for me instead, lol.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
For quite some time, I almost never needed to use potions in Zelda. I'd gotten so good at the series that not taking damage often and knowing where to find hearts after taking damage was second nature. That changed a bit in Skyward Sword. Hearts weren't as easy to come by, and almost every enemy taking off one heart caused me to have to use quite a few potions throughout the game. Not in an extreme amount, mind you, but a noticeable amount more than the previous 8 years.

So, to answer the question, I always carry at least one potion with me, especially in SS (and ALttP <.<).

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
If we`re talking retro Zelda games, I USE SO MANY. -___- LoZ had me wanting to rip my hair out especially in Level 6. I would lose health so fast : ( its not even funny. I cant say I used alot of potions in Skyward Sword. Maybe once or twice , at the end to fight Demise, but other than that there really is no reason to buy them. Zelda games arent as hard as they used to be. Enemies used to deal more damage, and hearts were scarce. It isnt the case anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom