• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft Xbox Potentially Going Third Party?

There have been rumors for several weeks now of certain Xbox games like Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and Starfield making the jump to other platforms.

Now Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, had stated to look forward to a business update event next week.

We might have confirmation of Xbox moving away as a hardware manufacturer then.

Do you think that Microsoft will abandon Xbox hardware completely or merely make some of their games multiplatform?

If they move out of the hardware space entirely, I worry about less competition for Sony and them taking advantage of consumers.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Honestly the writing has been on the wall for years now. The past couple of generations, Xbox has felt like a console that people buy when they don’t care which console they get, and now that PC gaming has gotten to be as easy to use as it has there’s less and less of a reason to buy a dedicated device unless there’s an exclusive game or hardware gimmick. If anything, trying to continue making Xbox’s might be hurting Microsoft’s PC sales, which are their bread and butter.

I doubt that Sony will have a lack of competition for long. In addition to Nintendo and PC platforms still being strong, this might just leave room for a new competitor.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It isn't too surprising. Back during the merger hearings when Microsoft decided it was going to buy Activision they indicated that they would likely leave the console business if console sales and gamepass subscriptions didn't improve by 2027. Since neither seems to have really happened, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft became the next Sega.

I think the big downside to come from that would be the sudden loss of one-third of the console competition. If Sony started being the only "hardcore" gaming console on the market then there isn't really much deterring them from some anti-consumer practices. Suddenly they dictate the price of the console with no one to really undercut them.

DarthCreeper10

mowing my life away
ZD Champion
I have many friends who love Xbox and this would probably kill them. But to me, it doesn't make sense to abandon your console because it seems to be performing ok. If certain games become multiplatform that would hurt them since their built around exclusives on game pass etc. Idk we'll just have to wait and see.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
less competition isn't great but if it means games like halo coming to other platforms, that'd be really cool, especially for someone like me who's never owned anything xbox

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
less competition isn't great but if it means games like halo coming to other platforms, that'd be really cool, especially for someone like me who's never owned anything xbox
It might mean someone else finally stepping into the console sphere and not dying. It's been a Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony race for so long that it's easy to forget it hasn't always been so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom