• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Writing Community Competition Week 1: Voting

Which story is the best?

• Mr. Verto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TreeHuggerPanda

• Xinnamin

• i-am-link

• Majora's Cat

• Hero of Time

• Zelda's_Child

• Atsuma

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Okay, so I recieved a lot of entries and I mean a lot! It's great that you guys are so eager to enter! ^^ Please read all of the entries before voting, to make it fair. I am ordering them in the order I recieved them. Enjoy reading!

Writing Community Competition: Week 1

The Legend of Zelda / Link and Zelda

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr.Verto

“Link? Link is that you? Please help me” asked a shy voice in the depths of darkness. There was no answer, Zelda cried. She had heard noises of monsters all day long, but who knew if they were days, they could’ve been weeks, even months.

Zelda was in depths of despair, but her hopes shined once again. She saw a faint light coming from the door. “Link!” she cried. Again there was no answer. Whoever came inside was unlocking the cell, it was her end Agahnim was going to sacrifice her as he did to the other maidens.

More light was added to the room, she could see now. The one who was with her was a soldier. The mightiest she had ever seen, this soldier was dressed in black and held a ball and a chain. Zelda had no more hope.

The soldier looked away, so did Zelda. There he was, the hero Zelda had called in his dreams, Link. Link looked hurt; he probably fought all the soldiers in the castle, as a true hero. The black solider launched his chain, unfortunately he wasn’t so fast; Link slashed him with his passed uncle’s sword and the knight fell. Link opened the door; Zelda’s eyes shined in the faint lighting of the room.

Link and Zelda were once again together. “Thank you Link for rescuing me” said Zelda. Link nodded, he took his sword and protected the princess to the sanctuary.

They found the priest dead, Link went out, and the princess was recaptured. Link knew what to do. His quest wasn’t over yet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TreeHuggerPanda

.......“Zelda, what are you doing?” Link asked his best friend, Princess Zelda of Hyrule. Zelda hid the hair dye behind her back and blushed.

.......“Nothing...” Her voice trailed out. She really didn't want to tell him that she was dyeing her hair blonde hair black. She knew that he would make a fit out of it and tell her that her blonde hair was pretty and she didn't have to dye it. But this is my decision! She countered in her mind.

.......“Seriously, what are you doing?” He asked, suspecting she was hiding something behind her back.

.......“Nothing!” She yelled. “Geez! Can't you believe me for once?!”
.......He looked at her with his shining blue eyes. “I always believe you. I'm just curious on what you're hiding behind your back...”

.......“It's nothing!” She said stubbornly. “Seriously!”
.......Link knew his best friend was lying. Without thinking, he grabbed his friend's hand and she dropped a bottle. Hair dye... He thought as the bottle rolled down the floor. “Well?”

.......Zelda sighed. “Link, I'm dyeing my hair.”
.......“But your blonde hair is so pretty...” He answered.
.......“So?!” She suddenly was overcome with anger. “I just want to dye it, okay?!”

.......“Zelda... but I like you the way you are...” Link whispered. He started to stumble on his words. I have to... “You're pretty... and I like you...”

.......Zelda was silent. She liked him too, but she was so sure that Link just thought of her as his best friend. Finally, she picked up the bottle and threw it away. “Then I'll trust your judgment and keep my hair.” She smiled warmly and kissed Link on the cheek. “Thanks.”

.......Link just smiled back.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xinnamin

Memories

“You are already leaving this land of Hyrule, aren’t you?”

He looked up from the bag he was packing, bright emerald eyes meeting mine for a brief second, and looked down again.

“Can you really not stay? Even if just a bit longer?”

He looked back at me again briefly, deep emerald eyes, still a child’s but like those of a grown man, looked away. He gave his mare a few pats, she was nervous, it felt like it would soon rain, she never did like being out in the rain.

“I can’t wait any longer,” he said. “I’ve waited long enough, she’s not just going to come back.”

“You still have your memories.”

This time our eyes locked, those jaded emerald eyes. Memories aren’t enough, they seemed to say. My heart sank, memories are enough, it seemed to cry, but a heart cannot speak in words. Those emerald eyes smiled, wanting to comfort. I looked down, rolling the smooth ceramic Ocarina between my hands. My heart wanted to cry, I knew he was really leaving. I wished it would rain. I put the Ocarina to my lips and played.

He looked at me, those emerald eyes never wavering. The Song of Time, song of memories, he understood, those deep emerald eyes understood.

The song, the memories, still echoing in the air as I held out my Ocarina. He took it, those emerald eyes still on mine. I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again, they seemed to say.

He got on his mare, a fog was settling, but I could still see those emerald eyes, I could still remember them.

Are memories enough? I don’t know, but they have to be, because they are all I have left of him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i-am-link

Zelda sighed. Link looked at her. "What's wrong?" Link asked.

Link and Zelda were laying on a hill, watching the clouds. Zelda sat up. "I wish..." Zelda started to say. "I wish these days lasted forever." "What do you mean?" Link asked, sitting up. "Well..." Zelda gazed off. "...If the days lasted forever, I could be here, with you, for all of my life." Zelda said. Link smiled and ran his hand down Zelda's hair. "I know what you mean." Link said. Zelda looked at Link and smiled. "Aww." She sighed. They looked at each other for a moment, then...

...They kissed.

The love from that one little kiss was powerful enough that the goddesses jumped from the disturbance caused by the balance of the universe going all the way positive.
Slowly, Link and Zelda pulled away from each other. They opened their eyes. "That... That was..." Link started. "...The most wonderful thing I've ever felt." Zelda finished.

They looked at each other, and their Hearts grew with love. BOOM. Something crashed into the ground in front of them, knocking them back. Link stood up and walked over to the crater, followed closely by Zelda.

They looked down, and discovered that, in the middle of the crater, was a Heart-shaped object, which was alternating between getting brighter and darker. They heard several more impacts. They looked up and saw that it was raining the Heart-shaped objects. "Well, time to save the world again." Link said, and rushed off into the action, Zelda following, holding onto Link's arm.

Just another day in Hyrule.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Majora’s Cat

The sword with the shining blade sits in its pedestal, unmoving. No longer did beasts befoul the land. With the fall of a relentless menace, a great wave of peace rippled throughout the land. Flowers bloomed where the grass was once grey, and the hero forever hangs his sword and shield, perhaps never to be touched again. Not a thing in the world can touch a couple’s impenetrable love, hand in hand, serenading one another before sneaking a kiss under the full moon. Who is to judge a young lad and one of royalty when the bond between them is so overwhelmingly powerful? Alas, the two did settle and have a family of their own. One would imagine that when two lovers are inseparable so, that they would remain as two apples in a basket until the end of time.

Well, time takes a toll on all, and especially on a once-young couple by the names of Link and Zelda. How did their holy matrimony go awry? How did it all spoil, rot and decay when those two apples in the basket were so ripe? I guess the two were never meant to be. Bickering day in and day out, slaps would become the one and only path of communication between the two. There was a slap here and a slap there, all while the poor children were watching, dread and confusion in their innocent eyes. The two would continue to clash with elevated voices, neglecting their children in every way.

We wonder and ponder, whatever did go wrong? Maybe the two were never meant to be. Perhaps the hero’s love for the princess was just not powerful enough. Their eternal love, once as powerful as the ocean waves, has dissolved into nothing.

Damn, Link should’ve married Saria or Ruto.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero of Time

It was Valentine's Day in Hyrule. Young Princess Zelda needed to find Link to give him her valentine.

The first place Princess Zelda looked was in the Kokiri Forest. Zelda stopped in her tracks at what she saw in front of Link's treehouse. Link was kissing Saria! Zelda began crying heavily and left the forest.

She went to the only place where her amount of tears could be held: Lake Hylia. She sat with her feet in the water still crying and now skipping rocks. What she saw broke her heart; across the lake, Link was kissing Princess Ruto!

Zelda was mad! Very mad! She went to the only place where things were calm all the time: Lon Lon Ranch. She grew fond of the horses. Zelda was riding one horse around the field when she saw the red hair of Malon by the homes of the ranch. But it wasn't just Malon; Link was there too! This was the third time she had caught him!

Furious, Princess Zelda rode her horse over the fence and through Castle Town all the way to Hyrule Castle. She sped-walked up to her quarters.

When she opened the door, Link was in the center of her room holding a rose. She slapped Link in the face.

"What was that for?!" Link was holding his cheek where there was a red mark.

"I saw you with Saria, Ruto, and Malon!"

"Dang it, guys," Link said to himself.

"What?"

Then Navi butted in..."Link pulled the Four Sword earlier today so each Link could have their own valentine."

"So which one are you?"

"I'm Green, the regular Link."

Zelda kissed Link on the cheek where she had previously slapped him. All of his hearts were filled up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zelda’s_Child

A rustle filled the tranquil air of the Lost Woods. Link pushed apart two bushes, and walked into a small glade. It had a crystal clear pond on the north side, and the air was filled with small glowing light spirits. The foliage around the outside was so dense that no-one could see in through it, but above you there was no canopy, and you could see through to the sky.

It was late at night, perhaps 10 or 11 o’clock when Link arrived, and the stars were shining almost as brightly as the spirits. He removed his Kokiri boots and sat down at the edge of the pond, dangling his feet in the water. He tilted his head back, looking at the stars.
After a while, Link heard something move the bushes behind him. He looked to see what it was, and saw a small girl’s head over the bushes.

“Link? What are you doing here?” she asked as she looked in. “I might as well ask you the same thing, Princess Zelda. I found this place while exploring the woods a while ago. May I ask, why you’re out of the castle in your nightgown?” Zelda blushed. “I wanted to escape for a while. I found this glade only about a week or so ago, and the only way I can come here is by sneaking out of the castle at night.”

Zelda walked over to sit beside the young hero, and the two tilted their heads back as Link was doing before. Link showed her the constellations decorating the night sky. Link felt warmth on his hand, and looked down to see Zelda had placed her hand on top of his.
The pair sat there, and eventually lay down to fall asleep, two small bodies lying next to each other.

Atsuma

The Royal Bracelet

Princess Zelda had been in a state of sadness ever since she had lost a family heirloom. That day, as she sat on her throne, she wasn't expecting that the item would be returned to her.

The court announcer came in and paid his respects by bowing before the princess. He then said, "Princess, there is a lad who wishes to see you, says his name is Link."

"Let him in," Zelda said, but barely audible, for the princess was not really interested in receiving visitors. As a princess, she needed to attend him, though.

A young boy of about her own age and dressed mostly in green came in a few minutes later. He knelt right in front of the throne, but Zelda told him to rise and speak.

"I have come to deliver this to you," Link told her and from a pocket of his tunic he brought out a shiny golden bracelet, which caught the princess' attention and made her face brighten with a wide smile.

"My golden bracelet!" Zelda almost shouted, happiness returning wholly to her being. Link, and those that were in the throne hall, saw as the princess stood from her throne and came rushing down.

She took the bracelet from Link, who smiled at her joyously. Zelda put the bracelet on and stared at it in awe.

"Oh thank you very much," she thanked the young man. "I lost this bracelet a few days ago but had no idea where. You are my hero, Link." The princess gave him a hug, which surprised the young boy very much.

"Think nothing of it," Link told her when at last she let him go. "I know how valuable it was and how important it must have been for you. So here you have it, princess."

The End

So, those are the entries! Hope you enjoyed reading them! ^^

Next time...

The Legend of Zelda
Sub-theme: Companions

Write a story 300 words maximum (100 minimum) about the companions of Zelda. Midna, Navi, Ezlo etc.

Please get next week's entries to me by 03/03/11

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Really good turnout for a first week huh? I think that's wonderful and I enjoyed reading them all. I don't have much in the way of comments as I am admittedly terrible at commenting on written works, but I do want to say that Kitters' story amused me the most. At first, with the extravagant stylistic approach, I thought there may have been something remotely serious. Then I remembered this was Kitters I was reading and sure enough, he did not fail to disappoint.

However, that being said, I think I'm going to vote for Zelda's_Child. It was close between hers and Ats', as both kept a consistent and quality style throughout the story which I always thought was highly important for a story, but ZC's story had a proper closing, which Ats' seemed to lack a bit as it felt a tad abrupt. So my vote goes to ZC.

One final note though, and this applies to more than one of the entries, but dialogue quotations are usually supposed to be separated by line breaks because it's confusing to have two or more people speaking all in the same paragraph.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
All are very well written, all of them, considering it was only 300 words. I really had a hard time deciding who to vote for, but I had to go with Hero of Time's, that made me laugh too much, especially when he gets the crap slapped out of him. :lol:

I think I am out for the following contest, as I hardly know of any companions of Zelda, I only played WW and hardly remember if she had any. Wait, well, she did have those pirates...so...

Maybe, not too sure. Depends. Lolz.

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
TreeHuggerPanda, congratulations. You've won my vote.

EDIT: Okay, I just realized that my story is really cheesy and stupid... Oh well.

EDIT #2: Atsuma, I think Meego means Companions of Zelda as in supporting characters in the series.

EDIT #3: I like a lot of these... Now I'm kinda regretting not hesitating to vote... -_-

EDIT #4: I'm probably not gonna be entering the next one either... Can't come up with anything... -_-

Last edited:

Nicole

luke is my wife
I commend everyone who entered the contest! What a turnout! Unfortunatly, if I went through what I loved about EVERY story here, that could become a story of its own. :P So instead, I'll just tell you who I voted for, and why.

I voted for teh Cat. His story just struck me differently than everyone else's. I'm a sucker for comedy, and that made me lmao. Written very eloquently, it was a beautiful piece that ended in a hysterical plot twist. I enjoyed reading all of the entries, and my honorable mention goes to HoT. Me loves the funny ones! A more serious piece I liked was Xinn's. That really touched me. :kawaii:

I think everyone did a great job. I hope we get as many entries next week, too.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
I pretty much only like three of them, Zelda's_ Child's, HoT's, and MC's. But because I do want to avoid choosing and war in the SB and such, I voted for Zelda's_Child. She really did paint a vivid scene in my mind and I could tell she put in a lot of effort into this piece.

HoT's was quite hilarious, but I really do bet that MC will kill me >_> And it did have lack of additional details of the scene.

MC's was pretty detailed, but I am not voting for his is because his is not ZeLink >_> Plus it didn't have much "character" to it. It was just narration. I need an actual scene >_>

EDIT

Oh, and i-am-link, thanks for your vote;)

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Okay, good judgement you guys. And just to be clear on two things. This week's theme was Zelda and Link I never said Zelink.
Two, next week's is companions in Zelda from the games. For example: Midna, Ezlo, Navi etc. Write a story in any way you like that involves any companions from the Zelda games. 300 max, 100 min, as usual. Due date: 03/03/11.

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
Okay, good judgement you guys. And just to be clear on two things. This week's theme was Zelda and Link I never said Zelink.

But the only way to write about Zelda and Link is by writing about ZeLink! Lol. :P

Also, I think I have PERSONAL First, Second, and Third place entries. This is MY opinion.

First place: TreeHuggerPanda

Second place: Zelda's_Child

Third place: Hero of Time

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL!!!

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
Aww, thanks peoples, I feel so special.
Really, the background behind mine was that
a. I'm a sucker for ZeLink
b. I always imagine that forest glade and put it into every story I write.
And, it was origionally 441 words. For some reason, Meego seemed to think that was above the limit... :P So I shortened it. It origionally had a LOT more detail. Because detail is my filler, and I usually don't write enough for the limit.

Well, yeah, and I'm going to end up voting for Panda's. The hairdye is for the win. :D But it was hard to choose, peoples of the dungeons!! So you all did well. :)

AND I WILL RETURN TO ENTER NEXT WEEK! BEWARE, INHABITANTS OF THE WORLD!!
...:facepalm:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
But the only way to write about Zelda and Link is by writing about ZeLink! Lol. :P

Also, I think I have PERSONAL First, Second, and Third place entries. This is MY opinion.

First place: TreeHuggerPanda

Second place: Zelda's_Child

Third place: Hero of Time

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL!!!

Two things. One, you don't have to write Zelink. There are other ways. Two, please do not even post your personal opinion on 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Just vote with one post and don't keep posting please. You don't need to place people where you think until the vote is over and that is my job.

Aww, thanks peoples, I feel so special.
Really, the background behind mine was that
a. I'm a sucker for ZeLink
b. I always imagine that forest glade and put it into every story I write.
And, it was origionally 441 words. For some reason, Meego seemed to think that was above the limit... :P So I shortened it. It origionally had a LOT more detail. Because detail is my filler, and I usually don't write enough for the limit.

Well, yeah, and I'm going to end up voting for Panda's. The hairdye is for the win. :D But it was hard to choose, peoples of the dungeons!! So you all did well. :)

AND I WILL RETURN TO ENTER NEXT WEEK! BEWARE, INHABITANTS OF THE WORLD!!
...:facepalm:

Sorry, but it was over the limit and to make it fair you had to cut it, otherwise you would have been able to include more detail and I had alreayd recieved entries.

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
Two things. One, you don't have to write Zelink. There are other ways. Two, please do not even post your personal opinion on 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Just vote with one post and don't keep posting please. You don't need to place people where you think until the vote is over and that is my job.

Oh... I didn't know... Sorry... :embarrassed:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
And, it was origionally 441 words. For some reason, Meego seemed to think that was above the limit... :P So I shortened it. It origionally had a LOT more detail.

She didn't "think" it was above the limit, it was above the limit. But since Meego already covered that, a suggestion instead: start your own "Director's Cut" thread in the fanworks section. You could post lengthier versions of the story after the contest is over. (Posting them before would run into unfairness issues again, since people might be biased by the longer work.) That is, I assume there's no problem with writers doing what they want with their story after the current contest has passed, Meego?

Btw, in the end, I actually did vote for yours, Zelda's_Child. Everyone had good entries but overall, I liked the atmosphere yours conveyed.

Last edited:

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
Okay, sorry that I made the joke. I won't use any humour on the dungeons anymore if it's resulting like this.

I meant that 'seemed to think' part as a joke, and that's just how I roll. Sorry.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Congratulations to Hero of Time with his winning entry!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero of Time

It was Valentine's Day in Hyrule. Young Princess Zelda needed to find Link to give him her valentine.

The first place Princess Zelda looked was in the Kokiri Forest. Zelda stopped in her tracks at what she saw in front of Link's treehouse. Link was kissing Saria! Zelda began crying heavily and left the forest.

She went to the only place where her amount of tears could be held: Lake Hylia. She sat with her feet in the water still crying and now skipping rocks. What she saw broke her heart; across the lake, Link was kissing Princess Ruto!

Zelda was mad! Very mad! She went to the only place where things were calm all the time: Lon Lon Ranch. She grew fond of the horses. Zelda was riding one horse around the field when she saw the red hair of Malon by the homes of the ranch. But it wasn't just Malon; Link was there too! This was the third time she had caught him!

Furious, Princess Zelda rode her horse over the fence and through Castle Town all the way to Hyrule Castle. She sped-walked up to her quarters.

When she opened the door, Link was in the center of her room holding a rose. She slapped Link in the face.

"What was that for?!" Link was holding his cheek where there was a red mark.

"I saw you with Saria, Ruto, and Malon!"

"Dang it, guys," Link said to himself.

"What?"

Then Navi butted in..."Link pulled the Four Sword earlier today so each Link could have their own valentine."

"So which one are you?"

"I'm Green, the regular Link."

Zelda kissed Link on the cheek where she had previously slapped him. All of his hearts were filled up.

I must say, a very good job on all your parts! Thanks for participating everyone, it is much a apreciated! HoT, your story will be posted in the group I've made. "Winning Zelda Stories." Deadline for next week's entry "Companions." Is 03/03/11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom