• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writing Community Competition: Round 16

Which entry was the best?

• A Link In Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeseman

• MadameMajora

• mamono101

• penguinboy82

• Zelda_Ali_Baba

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Welcome to the latest round of the Zelda Dungeon Writing Community Competition! We've got good news and bad news to start off the round.

The bad news is that, unfortunately, we don't have a winner to crown today. Last round we had only one entrant, so A Link In Time won by default at the start of this round. A second congratulations to him nonetheless!

The good news is that such a situation has been avoided this round, as we have a stellar SIX entries for you today! Writers wrote on the theme "Return", and as always you can check out their pieces in the spoiler tag below.

A Link In Time
“Coming Home”

The valley stretched before me vast
The land from which I was an outcast
But few care for my plight
So I sit down for respite
And look up to the sky
Hoping my time isn’t nigh

Someday I will return
Into the land of blazing suns
Where the gluttonous indulge
And the heart of darkness is hallowed

Yesterday I cried
Today I nearly died
But my journey has just begun
Although I carry a ton
I know I can persevere
Through my worst fear

Someday I will stand on the pyre
And rise like a phoenix
Shining the torch
Through the maw of darkness

My head is spinning out of control
My return they will not condole
But standing here
So very near
By the gates of my city
I will not pity

The inferno opens up
A burning tempest erupts
But I won’t back down
No, I’ll stand my ground

The gates open covered in snow
This is the realm I know
The trek was long
But this is where I belong
The open veranda, its dome
I’ve finally returned home

Keeseman
No Escape from Reality

The alarms began without warning.

All throughout the HMS Vanguard rang the urgencies of the warning sirens, perverting the long-preserved peace. No man or woman was left unfazed at the sight of these unfamiliar, quite alien alarm lights, these foreign beacons; no one aboard the submarine had ever expected to truly see them. Every crew member- whether Cadet or Commander- had exactly the same thought, at exactly the same split second. We are at war.

Commander Joseph Smith stormed to the bridge quite grumpily, having been disturbed from a hard-earned night’s sleep. Despite being a naval veteran, he never expected the alarms to be raised in his lifetime. “Is this some kind of drill?” the Commander demanded as he threw open the doors.

“No, sir,” Lieutenant Vince Howard responded quite nervously. “We just received word from Command. The Russians have launched multiple aircraft carrying dangerous cargos, which include various ‘weapons of mass destruction’. These aircraft will be flying over British airspace in…” Howard quickly checks a large timer on the wall, reading: “T-minus 2 minutes 48 seconds. We are ordered to ‘launch our ballistic missiles and destroy the specified aircraft, in the case that the aircraft enter British airspace,’” the Lieutenant read from a printout of orders.

“We have already targeted the aircraft,” said Lieutenant Commander John MacKenzie, “and await your command to fire.”

Joseph knew that, if the HMS Vanguard launched their missiles at the Russian planes, it would begin a long, perilous war. He had never expected the Russians to make such a bold move. But he could not refuse orders. A crew member produced the Commander and the Lieutenant Commander’s keys, and the two prepared to turn.

“T-minus one minute until the Russian aircraft enter British airspace,” Lt Howard said.

“On my mark, turn your key, MacKenzie,” Joseph bellowed.

“T-minus 30 seconds.”

This is it, the Commander thought. It all begins now.
“15 seconds.”

Time began to move in slow motion. With each second lost, Joseph felt another dimension away from reality.

“10 seconds.”

The Commander’s thoughts turned to his family, to his friends, to his home in London. Would they be safe? Would anybody be safe?

Joseph’s fingers twitched nervously on the key.

There’s no going back now.

And as the alarms wailed around him, Joseph only wished for peace.

“Hey, Joe, turn that off!”

“What?”

“I said turn your bloody alarm off!”

“What? I don’t…”

“Dammit, Joe!”

And a pillow hit Commander Joseph in the face.

Joe awoke with a start, the alarms still ringing in his ears.

That was because his alarm was ringing. Joe reached for his iPhone, and switched off the disturbing noise.

It was 6:32 AM. Joe rubbed his eyes and looked around his familiar college dormitory, noticing his computer, the television, the various posters, and the obvious lack of the bridge of a ballistic missile submarine.

Joe groggily pushed himself out of bed, and tossed the projectile that had awakened him back onto the bunk above him. A lazy hand reached up and dragged the pillow towards the equally lazy head that beckoned for its feathery perch. John MacKenzie, his roommate of three years, moaned softly and snuggled comfortably back into his slumber, cherishing every millisecond of sleep before he had to get ready for his own classes.

Joe stumbled towards the bathroom, and clumsily rotated the steel-cold knobs of the shower, blasting the warm wakening water on. He approached the mirror and gazed at himself, indifferent to what he saw staring back at him.

Joe was, well, your average Joe; there was nothing very extraordinary about him in reality. Scruffy brown hair, dull, squinting brown eyes, and a glazed, lifeless expression was all that was reflected back at him. Joe fumbled for his shaving cream, and applied the pungent foam to his face.

As Joe shaved, he pondered his day’s schedule. Calculus at 7:30. Joe knew that it would be the same boring lecture in the same boring lecture hall with the same boring Professor. So bored by the thought of it, he let his razor unconsciously slip through his hands, producing a small gash upon his upper lip.

It bled. It stung. But Joe ignored it. It didn’t make a difference to him at all. Not much did anymore.

Joe finished preparing himself for his humdrum day. He sat through a wearisome, monotonous lecture. And then another. And another.

As he returned to his dorm an eternity later, his eyes bagged from years of insomnia, he was stopped by John, who strode vociferously through the dormitory halls with his fellow gang of loudmouths. “Hey Joe!” his roommate called, with the same friendly smile he always donned, at least when he was fully awake. “We’re heading over to Vince’s place to play some Call o’ Duty. You want to join us?”

Joe shook his head glumly. “No, I’ve got too much… studying to do. Maybe next time.”

John gazed caringly into his friend’s eyes, sensing the pain Joe was going through. He placed a firm hand on Joe’s shoulder, saying “Well, you take care then. See you later.”

Back in his room, Joe sat on his bed, looking out on the river Thames, or the campus yard, or just empty space. His notebooks sat uselessly on his desk, untouched.

As he gazed nowhere in particular, he saw a lone comet streak through the sky. Remembering those stories from childhood, he silently wished that he didn’t have to go through the aches and pains that he barely survived daily. He wished to be done with it all.

Joe simply longed to sleep, to dream, and to not be awoken to another pointless day.

He reached for the bottle of sleeping pills that his restlessness demanded, and popped a number of the lethargy inducing capsules into his mouth. Joe slid under his covers, and returned to the wonderful, phantasmagorical utopia of dreams that he loved so, not knowing that his wish would be granted.

MadameMajora

Red

November 15th, 1944.

The old general sighed as he tapped away on the keys on the typewriter, penning yet another letter. It was a miserable night, and the rain on the muddy field reflected his mood. He looked down at the paper on the worn desk. Too many names. Too many lost. So young, some of them had been. Nothing more than boys, killed in cold blood. And now their bodies were strewn across the plains, stained red by the blood from both sides. He squinted, reaching for his spectacles and perching them on his nose. He was getting too old for this. This war, it seemed, had aged him faster than anything he'd ever known. 4 years ago, life had been different. There had been colour, joy, laughter. The colours had faded to one. Red. He saw it everywhere. Spread across city streets. On the armband of the Nazi soldiers. Rapidly blossoming across the uniforms of his own men before they slumped to the ground, silenced forever. The joy had been replaced by an ever constant fear, and the laughter replaced by the screams of dying men. In the end, they all mingled together, all the blood and the fear and the cries, American or German or British, it didn't matter anymore. They were all men, and they were all losing. The red spilling out of a young German boy's chest was no different than the red spewing from the severed limb of an American. The general knew, if he made it out of this hell, it would haunt him for the rest of his life. As he continued typing out the letters, the tears came before he could stop it. He slammed his fist down on the table. He hated this damned war. He was so old, and so tired of it all. But the letters had to be done. Name, after name, after name...

Dear Ms. Jackson:

It is with deep regret that I write this telegram to inform you that your fiance, one Private Thomas Aberforth has been confirmed missing in action.

The troop in which Private Aberforth was a part of was caught in an aerial attack this past Wednesday. He is not among the survivors, but his body has not been found and there are chances of him being a prisoner of war. He is presumed dead until further information should arise.

I know this must be causing you great distress, but unfortunately, until more information is received there is nothing more to tell you. If any more information regarding Private Aberforth's whereabouts surfaces, they will be communicated to you immediately.

I sincerely regret that this message must bring so much sorrow to you and my deepest sympathies are with you in this difficult time.

Edward J. Arp, Major General.

He sighed again. Oh yes, he hated this war. He removed the paper from the typewriter, placing it on the ever-growing stack of letters to be mailed across the ocean. Tomorrow would be a grim day.

November 20th, 1944. Ms. Linda Jackson heard a knock on her door. It startled her. She crept towards the door, both dreading it and hopeful- perhaps she'd received a letter from Tom. She opened it a crack. Saw the man in uniform standing there with a grim expression and a letter.

And she knew. There was only one thing it could mean.

"No..." she whispered. "No!" Suddenly, the entire world had gone black, nothing made sense, everything was wrong. She was on the floor, sobs were racking her body, and all she could say was "no", over and over and over, rocking back and forth...

She hadn't wanted him to go. She'd begged, she'd pleaded with him not to go, please, please would he stay with her? It was too dangerous, anyone could plainly see that. But men were leaving by the dozens, and who was he to not join? Of course he would. That was just the sort of man he was. In all the time she'd known him Tom had never backed down from a fight. Now the fight was for his home country, and if he had it his way he'd be leading his troop over the battlefield, those awful guns rocketing and the red, white, and blue banners held aloft for all the world to see. Dashing, yes. Brave, yes. Patriotic, absolutely. But wise? Of course not. If only she could have foreseen, if only she could have been more convincing...

2 years previously.

"Tom, please!" The words were mangled coming out, cut short by her tears. "You can't, you can't! There's enough heading over, haven't you seen them? Soon there aren't going to be any men left! They'll all be gone!"

He took hold of her arm. "Linda, please, you know I have to do this, if you knew what was happening over there-"

"I know perfectly well what's happening over there!" she screamed, wrenching her arm out of his grasp as another sob shook her. "People are running out there with guns, and bombs, and poison, and men are murdering each other and each day more and more aren't coming home!" She glared into the green eyes she loved so dearly. "And you," she hissed, "are not going to be one of them."

For a moment, she thought she had convinced him. But they day had come, when he was dressed in full uniform, bags loaded, with the train ready to leave.

"Don't you worry, Lind," he had said. "Somebody's gotta teach ol' Hitler a lesson, eh?" He said it with his old swagger, and that devilish little grin that had first drawn her to him when they had first met all those years ago. It seemed now like such a short time.

"It doesn't have to be you," she whispered. "Please, come home."

"Hold on." He fished around in his pocket for something, pulling it out and kneeling at the same time before offering her a ring. She gasped, her hands over her mouth. "Tom?"

"Linda Jackson, will you marry me?" He winked, beaming at her. More tears brimmed in her eyes, but she forced them back as a smile split her face, despite her fears.

"Yes," she said, the smile growing ever wider. "Yes!"

He stood up, brushing off his knees, and slipped the ring onto her finger. "This is my promise to you, Linda."

Just then, the train's whistle had sounded, and he had pressed his lips to hers with an "I love you" before he was onboard and had joined the other men, hanging out the windows and waving before the train whipped them out of sight and she stood alone on the platform.

She hadn't heard much since then for two years. She never took the ring off. She was going to keep his promise while she waited. And she did wait. Every time she heard a knock at the door, she jumped. But it was never any news. When she wandered downtown, paper boys shouted out news of the war, more battles, more men killed. yet no closer to winning. Letters arrived for people every day. But there was never one for her. The fear was always there, deep in her chest, and every day she would wake up and hope that he would be outside her door, dressed in his uniform, grinning to announce his triumphant return from the battlefields in his usual storytelling way. He would sweep her up in his arms with a wink and say "Oh, you didn't worry about me, did you? Those Germans had nothing on Private Tom Aberforth, let me tell you!" She would laugh, and he'd begin telling her all about it.

Except, he never did.

And now, she knew. It was like there was a hole in her chest that could never be filled, some sort of empty void. After the letter had dropped from her shaking fingers onto the floor and the ring with it, she had collapsed.

For many days, she simply felt hollow. But it didn't take long for the shock to wear off, and that was when the pain came. She would have preferred if he were dead. At least that way, she wouldn't permit herself hope. Because that was the most painful thing of all. The hope. That tiny, flickering chance that he was still alive was still there. She feared she would never know for sure. All her life, that hope would be there, like a tiny whispering voice, existing solely to cause her pain. And so she had to abandon it.

November 24th, 1945. Ms. Linda Jackson heard a knock on her door. It startled her. She crept towards it, wondering who could be coming to see her today. She opened it a crack, and met a pair of devilishly handsome green eyes and a grin to match.

"Tom?"

mamono101
I've been sober six months but my nose...it still twitches. My heart begins to pound. I crave it but I need to remain strong. I can't...I shouldn't...

Surely just a small sniff couldn't hurt?

I walk up to the table. It's covered in snow. Not the white fluffy stuff you make snow angels out of but the kind that makes you feel really good.

I try to resist.

Every time I feel as if I'm finally moving on with my life, my memories of her return. That's when it happens. Everywhere I look in this house I can see her face. Memories of her radiant smile attack my senses and the way it lit up her entire face creating those really cute dimples she was so proud of causes a lump to form in my throat. The way her green eyes would look at me as we lay in each others arms caressing each other in our afterglow. The way her voice used to go just that single octave higher when she was angry at me. The way her nose would turn up when she frowned at me. The way she walked out on our commitment simply because she disapproved of me using.

I drop to my knees, bend over the table and sniff, decorating the inside of my nostrils with Gutter Glitter.

I feel nothing. I've done so much of this in the past that my tolerance for this stuff is really high. I sniff again. And again. And again. Finally, I get the rush I was after. I push her memory back into the recesses of my mind and bathe in my new found euphoria.

Ten minutes pass and my buzz already begins to fade. I hear my pain returning to me. I inhale more of the blow.

A wave of nausea hits followed by a second. Another sniff. The world is spinning. I'm dizzy, dehydrated. My head hurts. I lie down and as I do my stomach empties its contents. I begin to convulse shaking back and forth as I continue to dry-heave.

Then darkness. Nothing but darkness. No longer can my memory of her return to haunt me.

penguinboy82
We all have that thing, right? The thing on the bottom of our right hand wrist, the timer? My parents never told me what that was when I was growing up, just that I would understand when I was older. I’m much older now, and my timer is almost down to zero. When I was 17, my parents explained to me exactly what it is. When the timer hits zero, it’s said that you meet your soulmate, the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. Now, at age 23, mine is at exactly 17 minutes.
As I sat there, in the crowded café, with my friends, I fully realized that I was going to meet someone who would change the entire course of my life, and I would meet them in just minutes. I looked around, trying to spot someone who looked just as nervous as I did. I began to seriously stress, what if I ended up not liking my soulmate? No, that couldn’t happen. We’re meant to meet for a reason, and we’ll be in love forever. That’s why our timer picks the person for us, so we can’t be wrong.
I look again at my wrist, and notice the timer is down to only 13 minutes, 12 seconds. I get up to go use the restroom, fix my polo shirt, and check my hair.
10 minutes.
I grow increasingly nervous with every passing minute, but I go back out to my friends. I sit with them for a short while, before going up and ordering coffee.
3 minutes.
I glance around again, and no one seems to be as anxious as I am, but I try to reassure myself. It’s meant to be, and that’s that. By the time my coffee is delivered, I only have a single minute left on my timer. I stand still for a moment, before walking back to my friends slowly, so as not to spill my drink.
19 seconds.
I can feel my heart rate going up. I can’t accurately describe the feeling, but it felt like anticipation, fear, worry, and expectations all welling up inside of me at once.
I look down. A mere three seconds left. I watch as the timer ticks its way down. Two seconds, one second…
The timer hits zero. Nothing happens. I begin to worry, and look at my friends. All of them have fallen silent, for they know that I was supposed to meet my soulmate today. I look around me, and I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. Some people are sitting in groups talking quietly; some are sitting alone, or on the phone, or tapping away at a laptop.
Has it failed? Had the system which was designed so perfectly, not been able to find me a match? The realization came to me slowly, the realization that I didn’t have anyone to spend my life with. The realization that I had to tell everyone about this. The return to my table was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
I stood, planted in my spot for almost 10 minutes, and then began walking. The café seemed to go on forever and the walk back to my table for a lifetime. A million thoughts rushed through my head. What will I tell them? What will they think of me? What will I do, living without a soulmate for my whole life?
When I finally arrived at my table, my friends were all silent for a moment, and then began to try to comfort me. Their words didn’t help, nothing would help. I didn’t have anyone to waste away my days with, someone who would love me and keep me for their own, and they would be mine.
I didn’t say a word for a long time, and simply stood up and left. I returned to my car and began to drive home. People were supposed to live with their parents until they got a soulmate, at which time they would be moved into their own home. What would become of me now? Would I always live with my parents? I would be such a burden to them, as most people have much fun in their years without children. The drive home seemed to go on even longer than when I was in the café, and I wondered what I would tell my parents when I got there. As I pulled up my driveway, the thoughts were still jumbled in my head, and I still wasn’t sure just what I would say.
My parents were there at the door, ready to greet me and my new lifelong partner. When I walked in alone, their expressions went from delighted, to confused, to very sad. I was always very serious growing up, so they knew when I walked in alone, it meant something had gone terribly wrong.
We stood there in silence for a moment before my father said, “Son, you’ve returned! But where is the lady?” I stood there, unable to describe in words what I was feeling, so I simply said, “Something went wrong, there is no lady.”
“Surely there must be someone,” said my mother. The top on the jar of my emotions finally came off in a fit of rage. “THERE IS NO LADY, MOTHER.” I shouted, instantly regretting it. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you upset. It’s just that coming back without someone by my side has made me very upset, and it all came out on you.
“I’m going to City Hall later to put in an appeal for a home, though, so I don’t have to live with you forever. I don’t want to be a burden.” “You just got home,” father exclaimed, “we’re not going to make you move out right away!”
“Father, it’s something I have to do.” I said, returning again to my car to start a new life, by myself.

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Return

She had heard the story a thousand times
About her existence
About how he had died

It was such a hopeless story
But so true

She had been born with a great purpose
Yet a terrible one

The Sacrifice
The Payment

Born into the world one second
Then slaughtered out of it the next
That was the plan
That’s what was written

She was the princess
She was the hope

How else would they pay for their choices?

The king, though, would not allow it

‘NO,’ he had said
‘Prophecy or not
She will not die…’

Instead, he vowed he would go

He would be the Sacrifice
The Payment

He would be the hope

And so it was done

She had never met him
She had never seen his sparkling dark eyes
Or his soft, brown hair

That’s what they said he had looked like
But she had never seen

She felt, though
She felt love
Its strength was boundless
It was unconditional

Even the most powerful foe
Could not break this bond
For he had died for her
Because he loved her

And there was something else
It was there with the love

It was not hope
It was…brighter

A fact...she knew this for sure

As she walked to the small window
And stared at the drifting clouds
She could only smile

A love like that does not die easily
It may leave for awhile
It may sleep for a day
But it never fades away entirely

“I know you are coming back…
Come quickly, sir
Make haste, Father

I await your arrival, my King
I will always look forward;
Forever look onward
To your return…”

The theme for the next round is:

Spring
Max. 1000 words

Deadline for this round is March 1st at 9:00 PM EST. Send your pieces to me via PM!

Keeseman

Smash is Life
ALIT: There was some weird wording and a strange contrast between the heavier vocabulary and the more vernacular language; it seemed quite oddly placed together. I couldn't really quite understand if some of your descriptions were imagery or literal. Either way, the story was a bit confusing. But keep working on your poetry!

Keeseman: Lame way of telling a story, by having it be a dream. :dry: I think I focused too much on the language part of my piece, and not enough on the plot. Not my best bit of writing, but I digress.

MadameMajora: That was awesome! A really great start, and very emotional. It reminded me a bit of "We were Soldiers". Great job!

mamono101: Very interesting descriptions, and I found that you did a really good job of getting into the mind of the characters. Keep it up!

penguinboy82: Interesting story, even though it was just barely on the theme; however, I thought you interpreted the theme quite creatively. Next time, though, I would suggest double spacing your paragraphs, so it would be easier to read. :) Also, it would be more beneficial to the reader if you explained why everyone had

Zelda_Ali_Baba: I understood what it was you were writing about, and your imagery of the Sacrifice and forgiveness. However, I'd suggest working on the rhythm of your poetry. I find that free verse is extremely difficult to write, myself, and I think you did a good job with it. Keep up the good work.

My vote goes to MadameMajora, for her beautiful emotional piece!

Keeseman said:
ALIT: There was some weird wording and a strange contrast between the heavier vocabulary and the more vernacular language; it seemed quite oddly placed together. I couldn't really quite understand if some of your descriptions were imagery or literal. Either way, the story was a bit confusing. But keep working on your poetry!

Ha, ha. Thanks for the advice. I know what you mean but I wanted to try out a writing style I don't typically use. The execution could have been better, however, awkwardly alternating between six line rhyming verses and four lines stanzas replete with imagery. My transitions are bumpy to say the least. I appreciate the comment.

I'd like to comment on the other pieces and vote later but as I lack the time now, that's a development for the future.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Much to my chagrin, I keep forgetting that this exists.

'Grats on winning last round's competition, Alit. Although hopefully you'll have more "competition" in the future (like myself, if I can ever remember it's going on).

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
Zelda_Ali_Baba: I understood what it was you were writing about, and your imagery of the Sacrifice and forgiveness. However, I'd suggest working on the rhythm of your poetry. I find that free verse is extremely difficult to write, myself, and I think you did a good job with it. Keep up the good work.

Oh, okay! I never really thought about it, I was just going for the dramatic approach :) thank you for the advice! It is greatly appreciated!

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
mamono101: Very interesting descriptions, and I found that you did a really good job of getting into the mind of the characters. Keep it up!

Thanks! I actually had second thoughts after I submitted this - I was unsure whether or not it was actually up to standard. Reading it back again though I think my piece feels a bit rushed and comes across that way.

As for the other contestants, Keeseman pretty much sums it all up rather astutely except for Keesman's entry.

Keeseman: I enjoyed your writing style and I thought it was very well written and in no way think a dream ending is a cop out if done right.

It was tough deciding, but my choice came down to either Keeseman or MadameMajora. However, my vote went to MadameMajora because I preferred the story just that little bit more.

Keeseman: I enjoyed the transition in the narrative from dream to reality. Your piece initially relies on long sentences and alliteration and when the countdown begins switches to shorter sentences for effect. Great teenage vernacular-good ol' Call o'Duty. I enjoyed your clever remark about Joe being nothing more than an average Joe. Great Joe.

MadameMajora: Fantastic submission. Your sentence structure is varied with regular statements, questions, the letter, dialogue. My only gripe is the long paragraph segment at the beginning.

mamono101: Interesting sensory detail. I suggest using more varied sentence structure though. Too many sentences simply began with the word "I."

penguinboy82: Formatting aside, I enjoyed the clever countdown just as Keeseman included. As with mamono, however, too many of your sentences begin with the word "I."

Zelda_Ali_Baba: Having never been a poetry writer, anyone who tries their hand at the style earns my respect. Your varied stanza length and repetition was interesting.

Vote: Keeseman
Runner-Ups: MadameMajora and Zelda_Ali_Baba

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
mamono101: Interesting sensory detail. I suggest using more varied sentence structure though. Too many sentences simply began with the word "I."

I know exactly what you mean. As I said above this is definitely not one of my better submissions.

Thanks a heap for the feedback. I wish people like you and Keeseman hung around the writing section to do the same thing.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
penguinboy82: Interesting story, even though it was just barely on the theme; however, I thought you interpreted the theme quite creatively. Next time, though, I would suggest double spacing your paragraphs, so it would be easier to read. :) Also, it would be more beneficial to the reader if you explained why everyone had

I understand. This was my first submitted work, and I wasn't sure about the formatting. As for fitting into the theme, I started with the intention of making the 'return' part much longer, but try as I might I just couldn't do it. Next time I'll probably take longer on my editing and revising process. Thanks for the feedback, by the way! :D

I hope this comes back soon! I know I haven't submitted anything, but I enjoy reading everyone's entries :)

I have a hard time with the themes sometimes because they are so open, I don't know exactly what to focus on. That's obviously my own fault, though. Some people argue that constraints breed creativity, and to some degree I actually think that's true. Staring at a blank page can be a little unsettling, for me at least. :lol:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've submitted anything since around August. Oops...

Garo

Boy Wonder
Quick update!

I haven't forgotten about this competition! It WILL be returning soon! I've been really busy lately, and the dwindling attendance has led me to seek new ways to mix things up. The next round of the competition will be rather different: we'll be deviating from the typical write-something-based-on-a-theme competition and be trying something new, that will hopefully inspire more people to enter!

It'll be back soon, I promise!

Garo

Boy Wonder
Alrighty, time for some details on the new competition.

The new competition will be on a monthly schedule, with the first round starting on Wednesday, May 1st, and lasting until the end of the month. This is a very, very different kind of competition, so I'll be starting the Round numbering back at 1.

Rather than writing on a specific theme for each round, the new competition will be using a system inspired by a film competition over at The A.V. Club, called parameters. Each round will feature 10 specific parameters: things like "include a character named Jack Torrence" or "a character must find a rattlesnake in his mailbox". Of those 10 parameters, writers must use at least three in their story. Other than that, they have complete control over what they write. No more themes; just parameters.

Contestants will have three weeks to submit their pieces. After a brief review to ensure that at least three parameters have been included, a poll thread will be opened to vote on the entries. In addition, parameter suggestions for the next month will begin, so contestants and spectators alike can submit parameters they would like to see (provided they are within the realm of appropriateness and reason). On the first of the month, the poll will close, the winner will be announced, and the new set of parameters (with the final decision on which parameters go into the contest made by me) will be posted, and we do it all over again.

So to quickly recap:
* No more themes
* Writers must use three out of a list of ten parameters in their piece
* Writers will have three weeks to submit
* Writers and spectators can vote and suggest parameters for the next month

I hope that this will be a far more interesting and engaging contest, that will hopefully allow writers greater creative freedom as well as ensuring a wider variety of submissions.

Look forward to the thread on Wednesday!

Oh, I nearly forgot: I'm going to go ahead and announce the winner of the final round of the previous WCC here, which was unfortunately our only entry: A Link in Time! Congratulations to him; make sure to read his piece in the spoiler tag below.

Origins

“I’m sorry but your services are no longer required. You are relieved from your duties.”

The pink slip sat on my desktop, a misplaced omen among my tidy stalks of papers.

Is this happening to me? Is this really happening to me? No, it can’t be true.

The lights in the office hallway seemed dimmer than usual. All the doors were shut. I knocked on my boss’s door. No reply. I knocked again. No reply. I decided to walk in.

“Don, we need to talk-“

“Sorry, Brandon, no can do,” my boss interrupted. “The economy is continuing to contract. Supervisor positions like yours need to be removed in an increasingly mechanized work place. It cuts costs, boosts efficiency, and streamlines the process.”

I was disgusted with his recited words.

Didn’t he understand my situation? Did this man not have a heart?

I had been working for him for seven years yet I had failed to penetrate his emotions once.

“Look, I have a four year old daughter at home. It’s hard enough being a single parent. She’ll be starting preschool soon. Imagine how she’ll feel when she finds out the other children have both a mother and a father. Also, how will I pay for her education. You can’t deny my daughter the learning she needs.”

“Calm your nerves, Brandon. You can always apply for unemployment. They help tens of thousands of people like you-“

“No!” I bellowed, no longer able to contain my emotions. “Please, hear me out.”

Don stood up motioning to the security guard standing outside the door. My plight was hopeless. It was over.

“Boom!” My suitcase hit the kitchen chair with a loud thud. Exasperated, I sat down letting out a deep sigh. I turned my heads towards the dining room. A pair of tiny blue eyes greeted me.

“Daddy, you’re home!”

“Yes, I am, Annalise.”

“Let’s play, Daddy! I’ve been lonely without you,” she said, jutting her low lip out in a sorrowful expression.

I couldn’t help but feel pity for her when she puckered like that.

Attempting to release the rest of my negative sentiments, I took several deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling slowly each time. Then, I trudged up the stairs. On the window side lay a picture of our family-my wife and our daughter. Or at least what used to be our family before my wife passed away.

“Maria, I’m sorry. I’ve failed you again. I never understood why you married a man like myself with some many more athletic, intelligent, practical guys out there.” Suppressing the heaving from my chest, a tear dropped. Then another.

“Daddy, are you alright?”

It was my little girl. She was very observant for a four year old.

“Yes, honey. A piece of dust entered my eye. That’s all.”

Putting on a light jacket, I took Annalise outside and headed for the park. The first signs of spring showed-blooming flower birds, chirping birds, a warm sun. Yesterday had been a chillier day but that was hardly detectable among the current light breeze and fresh air.

The park was empty. That was hardly surprising granted it was 10 am on a Wednesday.

I should be working too. This isn’t fair. Life isn’t fair.

Shoving these thoughts out of my mind, I turned to my daughter. She stood with a big grin on her face taking in the sights and sounds. This was the first spring she was old enough to appreciate the weather and all the changes it brought.

“Daddy, where is the snow from last week? Will it ever return?” she inquired.

“Yes, darling,” I retorted. “It’s the cycle of seasons-spring, summer, fall, winter. It’s the pattern of nature. The snow will be here once more in due time.”

“That’s good,” she giggled. “But I prefer this weather. It’s so beautiful outside.” She ran towards a bird perched on an adjacent tree, her radiant smile never leaving her rosy cheeked face.

She’s just like Maria. Like mother, like daughter. The pattern of nature. Hmm. Maria loved the outdoors. What would she say?

“Don’t wallow in your misery, Brandon. Life is a cycle of ups and downs. It’s just like nature. The days shorten during winter as plants shed their leaves and frostbite chills the air. But everything begins anew with spring. The days lengthen, plants regrow their leaves, the sun light casts it warmth again. You may have hit a roadblock but there is hope yet.”

Turning around, I searched frantically for her.

It must have been my imagination. Perhaps the wind was playing tricks on me.

Returning home, I kissed Annalise on the forehead before climbing the stairs. There she was-my wife-looking young and jubilant as ever. Portrait or not, I felt her presence by me. A tear streamed down my cheek reminiscing the time we spent together. But it wasn’t a tear of sadness or remorse. No. It was a sign that I hadn’t lost something very precious.

Hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom