• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writing Community Competition: Round 10

Which entry was the best?

• A Link In Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cfrock

• Chilfo Freeze

• SpartanGibbles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garo

Boy Wonder
With a quick apology for the extreme lateness of putting up this round of competition (blame inconsistent internet access), welcome to the tenth round of the Zelda Dungeon Writing Community Competition, where each week, our gifted writers show off their skills by tackling a unique theme, our wonderful community gets to vote on their favorite, and we do it all over again the next round.

Last week, we had only two entries, and they actually ended up tying! So congratulations to A Link in Time and SpartanGibbles - you'll both be featured on the front page and receive an award for your postbit.

On to this week: we have four submissions based on theme "Power". Check them out in the Spoiler below, and be sure to vote for your favorite in the poll above.

A Link In Time

From Hero To Zero

He knew only one thing: scorn. Since his earliest days those around him had rejected him as the stone unfit for building. And yet he had shown them who was boss! By displacing the tyranny of the majority he had become the cornerstone. Soon they would quail at his might.

His name was Ganondorf. They had banished him to the realm where neither dawn nor dusk existed in a time long ago. With suffering came wisdom and a new perspective through which to exact his revenge. Yes, the Gods…they would suffer for the misfortunes wrought upon the denizens of Hyrule.

He proceeded onto the veranda. The sprawling sea spread across the horizon. Why had allegedly benevolent deities flooded the land? Was this their idea of redemption? No. It was betrayal and couldn’t be thought of otherwise.

A strong gale blew past as the faithful bird perched upon the rail. It was his faithful falcon but a much larger and deadlier scout. The bird of prey had the girl in its talons. The Gerudo man faced away and let out a bellow. The guffaw reflected against the waves, rising in amplitude.

“You have done well, my pet, my servant, my disciple. The boy will no doubt charge in soon to rescue his sister. Then I shall have my prize-the Triforce of Courage. But who bears the third of wisdom? The Gods have well obscured the wielder of that artifact.”

Trotting along he returned to the balcony. Anger ignited beneath those eyes. What fools the Gods mistook him for. What fools! The bitterness swelled throughout his veins until his knuckle turned red from the pressure of squeezing. He’d just have to wait for the boy. Everything would fall in place after that.

The days had transpired into weeks into months. As he fell with one last disgruntled sigh, the Gerudo pondered over what gone wrong. Why had he lost?! How had the power of the Triforce eluded him?

It was that damned king-Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule. He would henceforth curse that name. All he had wanted to do was restore rightful balance in the world. But his intentions were misunderstood as they had been time and time again. He was seen as evil and needed to be purged in order for these children to enjoy a brighter future.

In this pensive moment, the former leader of the Gerudo, the sole man born for the century let his guard down. The blade pierced his forehead and he emitted a bloodcurdling scream. A mere boy had brought him to hell and back again, to the end of his wits, to the destruction of his dream. Why couldn’t they see? He wanted to help, not harm.

It was 3:00 pm on Friday when his soul departed for the realm of ethereality. A misconstrued being finally enjoyed his peace.

Cfrock

A New Order

I knew it! I knew that boy would lead me to it. Sometimes I impress myself with my foresight. Obviously no ordinary child would dare stand against me the way he did. I was right to think there was something special about him. Courage, yes that was it, the boy had tremendous courage. It would have been admirable if he wasn’t clearly headstrong. It’s one thing to have courage; it’s another to know how to use it.

He was certainly braver than those pathetic soldiers. The ones that I didn’t cut down at the castle gates fled like insects into the alleyways and backstreets. Ha! May they die there like the worms they are. Was that all that the mighty King had to defend himself? It almost seems unnecessary to take my prize. I could lay claim to this kingdom in an instant if I so desired. What a shame Nabooru resists me. She would make a fine queen. Alas, I doubt she will be won over, but now that I have this I won’t need to worry about her anymore.

I wonder if the princess truly believed that she could stop me by fleeing the city. She watched me blast down the castle gates and rip the King’s guard to pieces. Did she honestly believe she could ever outrun me? Did she think there was anywhere she could go to hide from me? Foolish girl! The wise princess indeed. She can’t stop me; no one can, especially not now.

That boy thought he could stop me. He was prepared to try as well. I could have killed him of course. I could have killed him with barely a thought. But that look in his eyes spoke volumes. It said “I will do everything I possibly can to make sure you do not succeed. I know what you want and you will not have it while I draw breath.” As if a small child like him could live up to such sentiments. But such things are not to be ignored. A boy with that much passion and determination could prove useful, even if he was against me. Let him know that he can’t best me in combat, show him my power but let him live. Yes, that way he will find a different way to prevent me having what I want. He will seek it. He will find it. I will follow. I will haunt his shadow until he reveals to me its hiding place and then I will take what is mine.

That’s exactly how it happened. I had been getting nowhere. Cursing that decrepit tree and cutting those Gorons off from their precious rocks had proven fruitless. They still withheld the Sacred Stones from me. My approach wasn’t working. It was too heavy handed. I’d attacked the castle directly for Goddesses’ sake! What does that say about my plans?! Seeing that boy made me realise all of this, my cavalier attitude was not helping me, it was hindering me. Without that boy I faced a search for the princess as well as having to find a way to wrench the Sacred Stones out of the grasp of those that held them. All of it would just take more time than needed and all because I had been so forceful in the first place.

I was able to see all of that and I made a change to my plan. I used the boy to do the work for me. He didn’t even know that all the while he was trying to save this kingdom he was delivering it into my hands. This is why no one in this land can match me; none of them can see the big picture. They live from day to day, making decisions in the moment. That’s why the princess thought fleeing was a good idea. That’s why the boy thought raising his blade against me would achieve anything more than his own pain. That is also why I cursed the Deku Tree and charged the castle. Foolhardiness on my part fuelled by my intense desire for what I seek. At least I came to see these faults. Indeed, the boy has aided me in more ways than one. I almost feel like I should thank him. Almost.

But now I stand before it. After all of this time I need only reach out my hand and touch it. I’ve never seen anything so magnificent in all my life; the Triforce, the shining golden triangles that will cement my conquest of this world, of all worlds in fact. Once I place my hands upon it I will be in command of limitless power. Ha! The very thought of it is like a jolt of lightning through my entire body. What to do first with such power? Punish the Gorons for defying me? Seek out the princess and force her into servitude? No, first I shall burn the castle. Yes! I will see the castle burn with the King inside and then open the earth beneath it. What a glorious image to mark my rise to power! The greatest bastion of Hylian civilisation being swallowed into the abyss and from the flames my castle shall arise. My word, sometimes I impress myself.

Chilfo Freeze

Seven years I’ve been here.

“Attention!”

I’ve worked my way to this position. Blood, sweat, and tears – in the most literal sense you can imagine.

“Present, ARMS!”

I’ve seen it all.

“Order, ARMS!”

Nobody can even begin to fathom the number of mangled bodies that have been torn and shred apart within my line of vision.

“Open ranks, MARCH!”

I’ve done my time. I’ve been led, and now, I lead.

“Close ranks, MARCH!”

These privates have got a lot of work to do. I remember when I was standing in their position:

“Dress right, DRESS!”

Nervous,

“Parade, REST!”

Anxious,

“At ease!”

Skittish.

“Forward, MARCH!”

It’s their turn now. To get to where I’ve gotten, these privates need initiative.

“Squad, HALT!”

They don’t have any initiative; not from what I can see. When I turn sharply to face them, I see the eyes of little boys. They’re shaking in their boots, wanting to go home to their mothers. I can see it, and when I see it, I feel pity.

“By the right flank, MARCH!”

Pity on their souls. They have to learn that they are here for a reason, and that reason is not for them. Hell, it’s basically anything but.

“Right, FACE!”

Their palms are sweaty; yeah, I remember that - all of the symptoms of a nervous-wreck. There’s dry mouth, damp palms, wide eyes, and constant swallowing and gulping. Every single one of them has at least one of these symptoms. They’re lucky if they don’t have them all.

“About, FACE!”

They’ve all got their stories. Why they came here, what they came here for… blah blah blah. They’ve got their stories, but I’ve got mine.

“Uncover, TWO!”

Dedication.

“Right step, MARCH!”

Commitment.

“Rear, MARCH!”

Ambition.

“Change step, MARCH!”

Those three words are the sum of my parts. I’ve got what it takes to be in the position I’m in right now; I’ve earned it. Achieving this spot is a feeling that not even the greatest poet can express. Like many others have said, there are no words.

“Right shoulder, ARMS!”

It’s the here and now; that’s what matters and these privates need to realize it. If they don’t…

“Port, ARMS!”

There is no telling how they’ll end up. When they do realize, however…

“Route step, MARCH!”

Then they can do what I’ve done, be what I have become – a true embodiment of power.

“Fall out!”

It will take years, you poor privates, but when you see the finish line ahead of you; when you envision the end of a great and consummate journey, you’ll finally know if you truly have what it takes to withhold this rank - the rank of power.

SpartanGibbles

Ganondorf sat upon his throne in his newly, completed castle. His view had no rival. He could see his entire domain, the vast country of Hyrule. It had been all too easy for him to convince that idiotic King of his loyalty. Why the King would believe his lies was beyond his realm of thought. He was raised by those brainwashing hags Koume and Kotake; although their plans to make him their puppet never came to fruition. From an early age they had tried to bend his will and influence as ruler to suit their own desires. What they never counted on was his strong will and hunger for control. He allowed them to believe they had control so long as they served a purpose. They were now gone, as were his other minions. Now with Zelda imprisoned in his grasp, He knew that the forest boy would soon come after him. The supposed "Hero" had been a thorn in his side for too long. Now that he knew the location of the other two Triforce pieces, he knew the battle that awaited him. He had only received a chunk of the sacred power he sought years ago. He watched as the other two pieces vanished upon his hour of triumph. He had received the piece embodying his favorite trait, Power. He knew from that day that his power alone would cause his dreams to be true. The Golden Goddesses had tricked him, with their promises of unlimited power and wish granting. He could no longer depend on the old legends. He would use his new-found might to crush the world until the other pieces chose to reveal themselves. He had known that the Princess would undoubtedly possess one piece. It was pure chance that the constant pain in his side would possess the third. Ganondorf would claim the entire Triforce and reshape the land in his image.

“It is all as I have planned, the Triforce shall be mine,” he whispered to himself. “My power is all I need to defeat any enemy”.

No mere mortal could hope to challenge him as he was now. He was a living example of what supreme power could achieve. He knew that it could only be a matter of time until the last opposing forces would fall and he would rule unchallenged. He had destroyed the ancient sages, save for that old man who sealed himself in the Sacred Realm. He had shown the world who held the power in Hyrule. All he had to do was crush this forest boy as a demonstration for those who would thing to oppose him. Power alone will rule, while wisdom and courage shall fall. He had shown the world how a false power could never hope to rule while he existed. Soon the world would know what true power meant. That he cannot be defeated. That none were more powerful than he.

You have two weeks to write a piece for the next round, the theme of which will be...
Hearts
Max. 1000 words​

Submissions are due (in a PM to myself) on Friday, September 21st at 9:00 PM EST.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
I voted for a Link in time. His vocabulary usage was phenomenal, and really ended on a high note.
I must say it was hard to pick between ALIT and Spartan Gibbles, Spartan had a phenomenal story and it flowed well, but it lacked the usage of the vocabulary ALIT used in his.
The issue I had with Chilfo's was that there was far too much dialogue for my tastes.
Cfrock, all I can say is keep up the good work! I hope You continue to impress me with your work, You will win someday.

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
ALIT - Like TheMasterSword said, your vocabulary use was extraordinary. Also, the flow of plot was smooth, and I followed along easily. Great work.

Cfrock
- Being the grammar-Nazi that I am, I was bothered several times by missing punctuation, etc. Lately though, I am trying to focus on structural aspects, rather than my tedious focuses. With that said, I've never been a fan of first-person point of view, but you did use it well.

SpartanGibbles - There's a lot of passive voice in your passage, and passive voice can take the actions away from the subject, and make that said action a lot less significant. Your one quote does make an impact though.

My vote goes to ALIT. Very nice work.

Thank you for the compliments, TheMasterSword and Chilfo Freeze, but I felt as though my submission could have been better presented. It was well dressed, to be sure, but not very solid.

Onward to evaluating my fellow contestants' writing:

Chilfo Freeze: I love a writer who's willing to experiment with a new writing style and you did just that. I was fond of the rapid alterations between dialogue and description which were compounded with your awesome use of diction including words like "mangled" which fit the passage perfectly.

Cfrock: Another writer choosing to write about Ganondorf, I see. I'm not traditionally a fan of first person but you pulled it off well. My favorite part was the end with the question parallel structure. Extensive vocabulary too.

SpartanGibbles: Your piece is similar to Cfrock's but written in third person as well. Good job in manifesting Ganondorf's personality. My only suggestion is that you structure your piece a bit differently. Those longer paragraphs are a turn off for some readers.

As a point of clarification, I also wanted to remind everyone that submissions for the WCC do not have to be Zelda related. Feel free to stretch your creative limits to cover any topic.

Honestly it was hard to pick someone to vote for this round because all of the entires were really engaging.

ALIT:You have some astounding diction and word choice as always in your piece. I really enjoyed you piece because of the picture it painted in my mind.

Cfrock:I loved the way you portrayed Ganondorf in your piece. The sheer ego presented fit the character well.

Chilfo Freeze: I liked the unusual style of writing that you took in your piece. It conveyed a strong sense of power in each line that fit the theme well.

In the end I went with ALIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom