• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Would the Series Benifit Without Link's Constant Appearance?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Link is an odd character in my opinion (if we can call him that), of course he is the main protagonist and who we play as throughout the game etc. Nintendo wanted to make this "link" between character and the game, basically this blank canvas, but without true customisation, it felt as if Link wasn't our avatar but this lifeless character.

However, Nintendo have stepped up Link as a character, giving him more of a distinct personality, having him involved in cut scenes were we see him interacting with other characters etc. I was recently thinking though, that Link may have hindered the series. We see him in every Zelda game, where most of the time he is a new hero in a completely different era, yet he is basically the same character, maybe just of a different age or in a new graphical style. This is usually the we differentiate between the many Links over the years.

I was looking at Assassins Creed lately, and the way they have these strong characters that have become, somewhat, famous in the gaming world but yet they don't keep the same character, they're related but not the same person. Should this be the way Link works? Basically it's the same hero and the role that comes with that, but actually a different character altogether. Tell me your thoughts.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why are Sonic's eyes green?

I'll tell you what. If Link didn't look so familiar each and eveyr time, I think Nintendo would not only benefit from forced creativity, but also from a new outlook on the Hero. :) Who knows? maybe we'll even get that female Link we so desire? wrong.

Just...Link not looking the same each and every appearance doesn't guarantee anything at all. What if Link were a blob of cheese in the next game? Oh, but he has the Spirit of the Hero nonsense that was written into the series, blargh!!! But a blob of cheese isn't amazing really. What if Link were a DVD disc? Hmm...Two and a Half Men, I WATCH THAT! ohhhhh

Really. Link's appearance as well as his actual character can be different, but they need to be substantial. Otherwise, you'll fall into the trap of "different for the sake of different", and that won't breed the genuine Zelda experience.

Fig

The Altruist
Wellif you go by the timeline theory, not all the Links the same character, but more like a reincarnation of the previous who saved Hyrule from destruction. Now, I understand that you might want Link to look different (assuming that is your approach), but Nintendo doesn't need to change Link's overall appearance because then it really wouldn't a Zelda game, let alone series, if Nintendo decided that Link must always be changed for every game. But by doing that, it wouldn't be much of a Zelda game without Link would it? As Ventus stated, the Zelda franchise would have to focus even more for the appearance of Link just to "different for the sake of different".

Really. Link's appearance as well as his actual character can be different, but they need to be substantial. Otherwise, you'll fall into the trap of "different for the sake of different", and that won't breed the genuine Zelda experience.

In conclcusion, I think I would rather have Link always look the same and have his fate destined with Hyrule than always expecting something different about Link if every single game.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think each different Link looks similar (though never identical) in every game because there is meant to a connection between them. Whether that is by blood or not, it creates a familiarity for the gamer. You expect to be controlling the blonde fellow with blue eyes and a green hat. That's what draws people back to the game, and marks it as a Zelda game. There is always an incarnation of Link and Zelda, and now we know there is also an incarnation of Demise (The Imprisoned, Ganondorf, Vaati etc) there is an indication that they are all connected by something more substantial than looks, as of course Demise says he will "haunt their descendants". As his hatred is reincarnated in every game, and Link is directly threatened and therefore responsible in every game for restoring the peace, I would say that changing the way Link looks just for aesthetic purposes or to spice things up is a completely redundant idea. This is why I hate all these threads about customisable Link and so on. There's no need for it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is a reason these things have stayed the same for so many years. Character development and personality differences aside, that is, which is there for the purposes of the narrative.

ILU

i luv u
This was literally the most nonsensical post I have seen in my life. This is so all over the place seriously my mind is so ****ed right now I don't even what.

pls help me someone

On another note, I think it's fitting that Link looks the same, but I wouldn't complain if he didn't. I enjoyed Link running around in his pajamas in TWW and I wouldn't mind if there was another pajama adventure.
I got lost too.

But yay for pajama adventures. Unlockable wardrobes are always fun, but Link's recognizable appearance has become a necessary constant for the Zelda series. Tweaking details like his hairstyle, hair color, eye color, even skin color is perfectly acceptable as it wouldn't deviate from what we recognize as "Link". As long as the famous green tunic is present throughout the majority of the adventure, I don't think changes to his appearance would hurt anything. The green cap and tunic outfit is like Mario's hat, mustache, and overalls.... you just can't remove them, because they have become part of the character himself and aren't simply "outfits".

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This was literally the most nonsensical post I have seen in my life. This is so all over the place seriously my mind is so ****ed right now I don't even what.

That's the point of the post. It's supposed to be everywhere. That's the nature of determining someone's appearance. If Link weren't static, can you imagine how many outfits would have ot be cycled through? Nxet they won't even have him be Hylian, they'll try to make a Robot Link or something. A static Link is simply easier to work with, where a different Link each time would take just more unnecessary time from the design department.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
>says gibberish
>called out for it
>"it was all part of my plan"
okay there skippy.

Rather than waste my time with a post like this, why not discuss? How would having a varying Link benefit the series? Would choosing an appearance for him on a game to game basis NOT take longer compared to running with the same (tired?) design? What if Link had dark skin and blue hair?

And enough with the greentexting. :/

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i gotta say i'm getting kinda sick of nintendo inventing new links
i want the following zelda games to be about an already established link,but i'm doubtful that'll happen [i would say a link b/w worlds,but i'm still not over my gripes w/ it]

Salem

SICK
i gotta say i'm getting kinda sick of nintendo inventing new links
i want the following zelda games to be about an already established link,but i'm doubtful that'll happen [i would say a link b/w worlds,but i'm still not over my gripes w/ it]
Yeah, totally, I was stubborn back in the day, I always believed in ONE Link and I didn't care about story inconsistencies, but WW had to shatter all that...with all the "Hero of Time" stuff...

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Eh Link's in the right place. This isn't an RPG and he isn't our avatar. He's just a sympathetic character. That's all we need. I don't want to be forced to say things I don't want to say or be pushed into a romance with a character I despise.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Eh Link's in the right place. This isn't an RPG and he isn't our avatar. He's just a sympathetic character. That's all we need. I don't want to be forced to say things I don't want to say or be pushed into a romance with a character I despise.
Which is exactly why there's choice in the matter...in a proper game. ;)
With how weak Link's character is, we should AT LEAST get a say in what he does...but I'm not really onto the whole "different looking Link for each game" wagon.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Which is exactly why there's choice in the matter...in a proper game. ;)
With how weak Link's character is, we should AT LEAST get a say in what he does...but I'm not really onto the whole "different looking Link for each game" wagon.

But this isn't my character. I'm not playing an RPG. I don't want to play an RPG. I just want a relatable sympathetic character to control.

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
I think every Link should at least have some distinct form of personality or appearance, to show that they're Link, but still different people.
Like how in the beginning of Minish Cap, Link didn't have his hat for a bit.

Link doesn't NEED that hat depending on the time the game takes place in, or his backstory.

Heck, for another example, look directly at Link in his outset island clothes at the beginning of WW, or Link at the beginning of TP and SS.
They don't NEED to wear that specific green armor and tunic to be seen as Link.
Make them their own people.
I LOVE playing WW a second time through with the Outset PJs, because it adds even more a distinct personality to the Link with the most unique personality in the franchise. He becomes his own being.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Well we have a plethora of Link's over Hyrule's History, so we do have different people very often. But I don't think they should change Link much. That's like changing Mario. Kind of.

The only changes I could deal with would be minor characteristic changes. Maybe one Link is more shy than others or more stubborn and aggressive. Little things that can be shown in their actions. BUT I believe Nintendo must keep the familiar appearance, and MUST keep the noble and courageous characteristics in all Links

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom