• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would a very low NPC count lower a Zelda Game's quality?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
So I am playing Dark SOuls right now and am noticing that there are very very few NPCs. Like maybe I've seen 5.

Since the focus of Zelda is very different than the focus of Dark SOuls, it may be difficult to say, but do you think a small NPC count would make a game less enjoyable?

Small characters who don't say anything may be able to go away, but personally I think that without them it leaves the game too empty and makes it too easy to find what you need.

What are your thoughts?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Maybe. Given how little focus the story gets, I don't think it'd matter too much.

It depends on the NPCs, but assuming they're mostly likeable, I'd say a fair amount is nice. Having few NPCs in my opinion would lower the quality of a Zelda game, it's just more empty without them. Whilst saving Hyrule, you accumulate a stronger sense of compassion because of the state people are in, you meet people throughout Hyrule with their own backgrounds, imperfections, and struggles. In many cases you build real friendships with many of these characters as well. Imagine not having many NPC's in Majora's Mask, the game wouldn't be nearly as heartbreaking and emotional without the fair amount of them. When the moon is falling and Termina is getting crushed, I always feel sad because I think about all the children, animals, people, soldiers, and individual/specific people like Anju and Kafei about to meet death in such a terrible way. Having too many all over the place would just be messy though.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Depends on what you're going for. Most of the time having plenty of NPC's can help make a world feel more lively, but if you're doing something post apocalyptic it would be better to have fewer. BotW felt like it had plenty considering Hyrule has had a century to recover. Zelda in general I feel is better with more NPC's to populate the world. Give it a more lively feel

Depends but IMO the majority of the NPCs in BotW were less than useless so I found myself not speaking to many at all.

Plus there are so few settlements you often felt alone and forgot there were others in the world.

Less NPCs could work because there may as well be barely any to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom