• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst kind of Trophies/Achievments

Do you tend to collect trophies?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only the trophies that arn't to stressing

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • MUST HAVE THEM ALL!!!!!!!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • What is a trophy?

• Sanic

• Total voters

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I am a Trophy hunter. I will not deny it. I enjoy being able to get the trophies since some of them are for difficult things. Though I admit certain trophies anger me. Not because they are challenging but cause they are stupid.

One is trophies that force unneccessary extra playthroughs to get them. An example is Kingdom hearts 1.5 Re:chain of memories. Since there are three trophies. One for beating it on easy then normal and hard. Unfourtunatly they do not stack so to get all three trophies. You must play all three difficulties and not just hard mode. Considering both Sora and Riku have these Trophies. That means six. SIX!!! Bloody playthroughs!

Now for the Trophies I hate the most. Online trophies. I hate these with the utmost passion. They are the bane of my existence when my internet does not feel like cooperating. Ultimatley I hate them for the sole reason for dead online communties. These trophies rely so heavily on people being online to play. So if it is dead or you don't have a good internet. You are ultimately boned.

I also dislike Dlc trophies. They aren't always to bad. They only appear after getting the dlc so if you get the dlc after you get the platnium for doing it all. Just annoying to have more trophies appear to my to do list. Darn my completetionist nature. I hate online Dlc trophies though. Adding pain to my pain is not fun!!!

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I hate trophies and achievements. If I get one through the normal course of playing, fine. But otherwise, I couldn't care less. The ONLY exception is when you get awarded for achieving certain achievements. Like, say, in Xenoblade, where achievements are awarded with XP. In which case, achievements are cool.

That said, even in Xenoblade, I don't go out of my way to get them. If I get them, I get them. Otherwise, well, meh.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I hate trophies and achievements. If I get one through the normal course of playing, fine. But otherwise, I couldn't care less. The ONLY exception is when you get awarded for achieving certain achievements. Like, say, in Xenoblade, where achievements are awarded with XP. In which case, achievements are cool.

That said, even in Xenoblade, I don't go out of my way to get them. If I get them, I get them. Otherwise, well, meh.

Fair enough. I usually get trophies cause I like 100% games. Not all games of course. Some games I can't stand. I'm just part completionist. So having little rewards and proof that I did something. Makes me feel a bit better They aren't your standard in game rewards but they are nice little things I akin to badges of honor.

Though they aren't for everyone is fair. Each their own. Though the Smash bros wii u acheivment for getting hit by a metroid and then hunting it down in smash board is stupid. I did it but it is a bad acheivment between random and lots of odds against you in that random like board.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Fair enough. I usually get trophies cause I like 100% games. Not all games of course. Some games I can't stand. I'm just part completionist. So having little rewards and proof that I did something. Makes me feel a bit better They aren't your standard in game rewards but they are nice little things I akin to badges of honor.

Though they aren't for everyone is fair. Each their own. Though the Smash bros wii u acheivment for getting hit by a metroid and then hunting it down in smash board is stupid. I did it but it is a bad acheivment between random and lots of odds against you in that random like board.

That's part of the reason I don't like them. Some of them are so random that you have to go way out of your way to get them.

But ... don't get me wrong, I like 100% games. Once, I was about to 100% Metroid Prime, but I forgot to scan Ridley. Then I saved. I was sad.

Typically I hate long online trophies for mostly single player games. I used to be all about the trophies but lately I just play PC games. 18 platinums, mostly from a long time ago.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Multiplayer achievements of any kind. It's impossible to get all of them. And eventually every game's multiplayer community is going to die out, so then it WILL become absolutely impossible. Already GTA V's multiplayer community is dying on the old consoles because so many are moving onto the new consoles and PC. That'll leave those achievements unachievable. Used to be you got more job invites than you can handle, now you're lucky if you can join one at all on call. Moving to the PC version is terrifying because Rockstar has gone all totalitarian on it and installs spyware on your system to see what files you have in your game's install folder and if anything is in there that shouldn't be, your account gets banned.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
Achievements that require you to beat the entire game several times (screw you Shovel knight, I'll never 100% you).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Achievements that require you to beat the entire game several times (screw you Shovel knight, I'll never 100% you).
Mass Effect 1 required a bare minimum of three playthroughs to get every single achievement. The big time takers was having a certain party member with you through the majority of the game. And since there were six of them, and you could only have two a time, that meant three playthroughs. But it'd probably take more. All three games liked having an insanity difficulty achievement, which in the first game meant three playthroughs since you needed to finish it under the next highest difficulty level to unlock the next, to get it. And two playthroughs in the second and third games. Dragon Age: Origins, as awesome as it is, was worse. You'd probably take at least five playthroughs, maybe six, to get everything. Is still don't have all of them despite playing through twelve times.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
Mass Effect 1 required a bare minimum of three playthroughs to get every single achievement. The big time takers was having a certain party member with you through the majority of the game. And since there were six of them, and you could only have two a time, that meant three playthroughs. But it'd probably take more. All three games liked having an insanity difficulty achievement, which in the first game meant three playthroughs since you needed to finish it under the next highest difficulty level to unlock the next, to get it. And two playthroughs in the second and third games. Dragon Age: Origins, as awesome as it is, was worse. You'd probably take at least five playthroughs, maybe six, to get everything. Is still don't have all of them despite playing through twelve times.
See, that's where achievements go too far for me.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I think the worst trophies are ones you get just from progressing through the game. I feel they're kind of pointless, since you don't have to do anything other than just play the game to get them. Trophies that I like tend to be the ones that have me do crazy stuff like beat the game without dying, or beat a boss with no upgrades, things like that. Progression achievements just really hold no value in that regard because as I said, you just play through the game like normal to get them.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I think the worst trophies are ones you get just from progressing through the game. I feel they're kind of pointless, since you don't have to do anything other than just play the game to get them. Trophies that I like tend to be the ones that have me do crazy stuff like beat the game without dying, or beat a boss with no upgrades, things like that. Progression achievements just really hold no value in that regard because as I said, you just play through the game like normal to get them.

Fair enough. They have little point to flaunt or to show off your gaming skill. Unless the game is so mercicessly hard that just beating it is worth flaunting. Though I do know why they are there. Just a little padding in the trophy library and to keep gamers motivated. I love the basic trophies that I get just from playing the game. They help me keep track of my progress and keep my endorphins flowing. I love hearing that little ping. It only gets better when the trophy was difficult or just obscure.

Like the south park trophy that all you have to do is stand in area for like 30 seconds. Didn't even know it was there. I just saw the scene and was like. "Nope need a break." So i just changed the channel for a bit and made a sandwich. Came back to a trophy appearing and laughed so hard. I do enjoy south park stick of Truth. So messed up but so south park.

The worst type of achievement ever (in my opinion) is ones you get from beating the Nintendo styled grandmaster levels. They are just one stage that is 1000x harder than the rest of the game. Just a slap in the face to most players who can flawlessly beat the rest of the game but not beat this one stage. I'm like this in SMG2 and Captain Toad. I've done both games perfectly except for the one hit only grandmaster stage and I have not done the Toad Mummy Me maze either. Neither stage is fun like the rest of the game. Games like Mario 64 didn't have GM stages and the game was still amazing.

I think GM stages are toxic cancer. And being forced to do them for a reward (or more likely, accepting the fact you'll never do the stage so you just miss out on that reward) is just not fun at all.

On the other hand the best type of trophies/achievements are from ones that require more time invested in the game. Not the World of Warcraft 0.0000001% chance to get an item each time which you can't get for years and someone else gets in one day. That's just frustrating. I mean more like achievements that just take time to do, or just from progressing through the game. If people want to play hard mode, that's their choice. But people should not be forced to play hard mode if they don't want to just for an achievement. We gamers should have the choice. what difficulty we play. Smash Bros 4 epically fails in this regard. If you want all the trophies in SSB4 you have to play some of the stupidly hard modes in the game. And for many people that is just not fun. SSB4 even gives you golden hammers to get some trophies you find too hard to do. But they make the hardest trophies to get in the game, unhammerable, so you either be near korean to do them or just miss out. Such a slap in the face to us gamers.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
My only hated ones are those that are only done in Seasonal events. A few games like TF2 have them, so, if you missed them they just sit there greyed out forever. I'm not one to chase achievements but I think that sort of thing isn't very good considering there are people who like to 100% a game's achievements. Kind of the same with online achievements, when the servers then get shut down. Not a fan!

But I do like achievements in general, they're just nice little touches. I especially like the ones which set you little challenges, like Deus Ex's Pacifist achievement, requiring you to go through the game killing no one. Achievement sets the challenge and then lets you know if you did it at the end. :) Fun!

I feel like Playstation has handled its trophies the best and worst of any platform. It was really clever of them to include Platinum Trophies to entice players into completing every obscure challenge possible, but it can be very infuriating to get all the trophies in certain games. In that sense, Platinum Trophies are the worst.

Other than that, some of the achievements in Halo 3 multiplayer really ground my gears. I can't remember them all clearly, but this one where our had to get a double kill with a plasma grenade on one of the DLC maps took me the longest time.

Overall, I'm ambivalent towards achievements and trophies. They add some replay value, but they don't make or break a game. I still enjoy games without these rewards, such as Nintendo games and League of Legends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom