• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst endings in media

Have you ever read a book, played a game or watched a movie/TV series that had an absolutely abysmal ending that soured your opinion of the entire piece?

For example, were you enjoying Mass Effect 3 only to be offended at the ending?

Which endings in media have you absolutely hated?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
First thing that came to mind was the Prince of Persia movie. I really hate it when the plot gets reset so that everything the characters fought and bleed for didn’t actually “happen”. Like, it’s one thing if this was built up to and changing the past was an ongoing theme, like in Meet The Robinsons for example, but for basically the entire film to be rewound to the beginning as a twist ending? No thanks. That kind of thing makes me really angry and frustrated. It invalidates all the growth and hard work of the characters and it almost feels insulting.

Mido

Version 1
While I cannot say that any lackluster endings have turned off my good will towards any respective series, there have been a few that have certainly stood out as somewhat dulling the series' impact on me. All things considered, I still enjoy each of the following entities that come to mind:

The Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus Series) - I enjoyed the Percy Jackson books and the sequel series in Heroes of Olympus was also a good time. Yet for the all of the buildup to the final conflict against Gaia, the ending, while hitting the right notes, came off as rushed a bit from my perspective. This only left the final conflict feeling less grand in scope and ultimately underwhelming despite decent buildup. This sort of reminds me of how the Magi series' ending turned out. The last arc had excellent buildup, but the final set of events like the former came off rushed and ultimately stunted the final arc despite its strengths.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - This one is sort of a double-edged sword with its ending, as its ideas are interesting and the execution is almost brilliant, yet the payoff misses the mark on some levels. The main characters undertake a crusade against what is deemed the "Dark Age of the Law" and specifically look to solve a case that has contributed heavily to the law's worsening state. This particular case is closed off well by game's end, with perhaps one exception in the form of the case's culprit.

Despite an excellently laid-out set of circumstances that lead the main characters to find out the identity of the culprit in an awesome twist, not much is wholly learned about this individual, which I think takes away from the impact of the case mostly because this is the final culprit in the narrative that caps off the experience (not including the DLC case).

I also did not find myself totally in sync with how the quote on quote "Dark Age of the Law" was handled in the game, but I'll stop my rambling here. I still enjoy this game. :cool:

funnier6

Courage~
If it’s a trilogy and it’s in the teen section and it’s title isn’t The Hunger Games then it disappointed me. Allegiance and The Death Cure are two of the most rushed on a deadline books that absolutely blew to pieces everything they were building to with anticlimax after anticlimax and instead of wrapping it up nicely the authors give up, crumple up what they wanted to write, throw it out the window, and write whatever half baked thought comes into their heads.

Totally was not intending to go on a tangent but better stop there before I start thinking of other things that disappointed me.

I really hate Phantom Hourglass's ending.

None of anything mattered. It was all a waste of time and the game actually wasted less time for the characters than it did for me which is a massive insult given how crap the game was.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The ending of the show Haven. I loved the show but the ending was terrible. The show is about a woman who gets stationed in a town called Haven and then she discovers she has been there before. At first she thinks it's her mother but then she learns the truth that every 27 years she returns. She vanishes and returns as another person. A lot of events happen during the 5 seasons. There is a barn she needs to return to every 27 years. To end this endless cycle she and a couple of others work together. She also discovers she has a son from the past/future (a bit messy) with her current lover Nathan. But the boy died. So in the final episode she sacrifices herself and the cycle of her returning has finally come to an end.....NOPE. In the final 10 minutes the writers wanted to give Nathan a happy after all and ...she returns as another person together with her son who is now a small child. This is such a bummer because it totally ruins the sacrifice she made. This was made for her NOT TO BE ABLE to ever return. But nope.....this ending was really such a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom