• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Decade for Music?

Personally music in every genre was decent to great between the 50's and the 90's. 2000-2010 we're decent depending on certain genre's. 2010-present is garbage.

To further contextualize what I'm about to say, I'd like to clarify that I don't really differentiate different areas of music composition when talking about this kind of thing. So when you ask me to judge eras, I'm going to be including bands, composers, orchestras, and soundtracks for games and television.

With that out of the way...

The current era. Not because of the music itself:

But because we have such a stupidly, obscenely varied musical landscape with an insane amount of popular and indie groups producing all manner of music across a titanic variety of genres, styles, ethnic backgrounds, including mashups, entirely new genres or sound styles like dubstep or chiptune, on top of music made for wildly different purposes like dance, relaxing, general listening, accompaniment to stories and gameplay... all of this meaning more variety in music than ever before -- especially when you consider old-fashioned and retro style music still being made -- and is more accessible than ever through the various distribution platforms old and new and the internet in general...

And yet everyone just complains about modern music. >_<

The reason people complain about it is because it's inescapable most of the time. Many shops will play whatever is on the radio, many places of work will do the same.
Most of the places I go play older music; that scenario is pretty dependent on where you even live or what places you frequent.

Either way disliking a grouping of... anything really... specifically because other people like it and make you have to see or hear it all the time isn't really a mentality I find myself agreeing with. Then again my tastes are extremely wide, so maybe I just can't relate to being that bothered by any specific style or genre really. I will fully admit I might have it lucky. xP

Still: People need to remember that "modern music" includes a LOT more than popular radio picks. Breath of the Wild's soundtrack is modern music. Towerfall's stage themes are modern music. The opening song for Made in Abyss is modern music. Diablo Swing Orchestra is modern music. Iron Maiden even, is still putting out modern music. To say nothing of countless other groups, from Savant to Iron & Wine, all the way across the genre spectrum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom