• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst cooking disasters youve had

I can cook a few things pretty well but the kitchen is a dangerous place and i'm prone to being a clod so sometimes things go wrong...

Ive not set fire to myself or injured myself while cooking but i've come close.

What kitchen/cooking disasters have you had?

Ninja

Well well well
Oh man, I love to cook, however I can remember the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Was really in the mood for grilling chicken wings. Got the grill nice and hot, the chicken was amazingly marinated, and I just set those lovely suckers on the grill. I closed the lid, and went inside to clean up a bit. Lost track of time, and I turn around and see CRAZY black smoke coming out of the grill. Freaking out I rushed to the grill, opened the lid and was greeted with a flaming grill, blacker than night chicken wings, and weird looks from the neighbors lol.

During the chaos I had my tongs and was frantically picking up and launching charred wings all over my back yard. Eventually, my tongs began to melt, and we just sat there on a chair, frowning on the Las Vegas Chicken Wing Massacre.

Last edited:

Miss Cucco

Mrs. DekuNut
Giggles to myself, lemmie tell ya, I am a cookie monster, I LOVE chocolate chip cookies but can never bake them properly.

One time when I tried to bake some cookies they were so salty and sweet at the same time, it was terrible. When I took a bite out of the dough I felt like I gained ten pounds, AND got diabetes on the same day. I made an entire batch of cookies that I could not eat because they were too salty and sweet.

Another time I tried to bake a batch of cookies, I don't know what I did but when I put them in the oven, the dough melted. They didn't form into a cookie, it was a watery mess. The only conclusion I came up for that one, was I must have either put too much butter in it, or softened the butter too much in the microwave.

Shrugs Oh well. I'll keep trying, when my boyfriend and I move in together, I always dream of baking him some nice hot cookies, and sitting by the fire on a cold winter night. So imma keep failing until I get it right!

I was cooking pasta and the gas ran out, so I left it to slowly soak in the water over night. It was mush by the time I ate it. It tasted horrible.

Ninja

Well well well
I was cooking pasta and the gas ran out, so I left it to slowly soak in the water over night. It was mush by the time I ate it. It tasted horrible.

If stomachs could cringe.. Holy hell dude. Just the texture alone would make me lose it.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I don't cook very often outside of work, so my fails are limited, but there was one time I decided to prepare a meal for my roommates by the time they got home this past year. I was making pan fried potato slices, which I did often, with rice and steak. Well, I was used to just making enough rice for one person, and I quadrupled the portion. Somehow, I ended up putting 8 times the water, instead of 4 times. The rice turned to literal mush. So while I was dealing with the mush, the potatoes burned and the smoke alarms went off, prompting my landlord to phone my roommate to ask what was going on. He wasn't home, so he had no idea. Amidst all the chaos, I forgot about the steaks... which had been frying in a pan for almost 20 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't try cooking for my roommates again lol.

Misty

Ronin
Hmmm, well, I make soup for my father to have for lunch during the week. One week, I overfilled it with veg and underfilled it with broth and water. So I left it to simmer with a lid on not realizing I'd put it on high. I went off to read, promptly forgot about it, and twenty minutes later set the smoke alarms on two floors off at the same time.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I haven't had anything happen that was particularly bad. A few mess ups now and then of course, but nothing horrible. Except for.... the first time I tried baking. 12th grade Spanish class group assignment. Me and two friends came to my house to bake cupcakes as part of a video for the class. The cupcakes themselves came out fine, but the frosting... tasted like chalk. Had almost the same texture as chalk, too. It was disgusting. I have no idea what we did to it to make it come out that badly, but man, it was awful.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
OK so today something happened at work and it made me instantly think of this thread.

So, we cook bacon in the oven, since we do so much at one time. 15 minutes in the oven and the bacon is cooked perfectly! Of course, when it's busy and you forget to set the oven timer, well, it's easy to forget about the bacon... which was exactly what happened tonight. After about an hour, we noticed a strange smell coming from the oven. When I looked over, there was a little bit of smoke leaking out, and I couldn't see through the window. Opened the oven, and was instantly greeted with a kitchen full of thick, black smoke. Concerned costumers observed the madness from the front, and asked the servers what was going on. Needless to say, it was quite embarrassing, especially since it happened while we were busy and the restaurant was full of people. Took the rest of the night to air the place out with every door in the building open. Not my proudest moment, I have to admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom