• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Words You Thought Had Different Meanings

Dan

For example whenever I used to see the words "Indie games" I assumed they were games made by Indians :P
indie.png

What about you forum-dwellers ?

When I took my spanish class there were two words that I constantly mixed up.

Attendir and assistir are two infinitive verbs. One means "to attend" while the other means "to assist". Can you guess which definition goes with which word?

If you said attendir means "to attend" and assistir means "to assist" than you were wrong. It's the other way around. I bet most of you can see why this is potentially problematic lol.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I always had trouble with "flammable" and "inflammable" meaning the same thing.

Always thought the latter meant the object wouldn't catch on fire.

For example whenever I used to see the words "Indie games" I assumed they were games made by Indians :P
That's what I thought too until earlier today when I was reading a news article about them and finally connected the dots. :D

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I always thought when my siblings talked about the teachers of their language classes they were actually from that country. I thought the teacher of english class was english etc

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
When I took my spanish class there were two words that I constantly mixed up.

Attendir and assistir are two infinitive verbs. One means "to attend" while the other means "to assist". Can you guess which definition goes with which word?

If you said attendir means "to attend" and assistir means "to assist" than you were wrong. It's the other way around. I bet most of you can see why this is potentially problematic lol.

I can relate to this completely lol. False cognates are always a pain when learning a language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom