• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Windfall Island As a Flooded Kakariko Village?

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
.....Well, here's my theory: Windfall island from the Wind Waker is actually Kakariko Village from Ocarina of Time. The reason's being; if you listen to the music, certain measures of the music are similar to Kakariko Village's.

For those who didn't notice it, and do not read sheet music, here is the tune in words: "da-Dum-Da-DUm-DA-DUM!" The other similarity is the fact that both have a windmill that the citizens of the island converted into a lighthouse/ferris wheel during the time of the Great Sea. Kakariko Village was a mountain village that was well elevated compared to the other towns in OoT. So, it is plausible for it to become an island if Hyrule floods. The island is also close to Dragon Roost Island (which I believe to be Death Mountain,pure speculation on that one) As well as that gravestone object that the man was dancing around to be the remains of the graveyard. What do you guys think about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I don't think so. It's towards the west while Kakariko Village is in the East. Plus, it's at the base of Death Mountain when the only places that survive the flood are the tops. That's mentioned in game and indicated by how little land there is. But the goddesses could have raised it like they did the Forest Haven.
But nice observation with the music. Part of it is actually taken right from the Kakariko Village music. I think that's partly a homage to Kakariko Village and is also there to suggest that it's a general gathering place.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
True, true. I forgot to also mention how it was close to Dragon Roost Island, which is what I think to be Death mountain. If that's true, maybe the wind waker's map is reversed from OoT's-but that cannot be proven yet.
*edits and adds it to the list of similarities*

I actually don't think Dragon Roost island is Death Mountain. It is too far North of Hyrule Castle. I generally like to use the Forest Haven as a starting point for my geography theories, since that location is pretty much the only one that is set in stone. But I try to go more with the geography of Twilight Princess since that is more of an accurate representation of Hyrule.

Last edited:

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
The islands in Wind Waker are really placed strangely. :lol:
Such as the Forest Haven on the southern end of the sea when it is supposedly Kokiri Forest (More speculation :))
I agree, the gamecube version of TP has the closest map to OoT.

jebus_thecatman

What the moo?
I think its possible, with the music being very similar, like you said before. The grave stone thing and Dragon Roost-being-close-because-its-Death-Mountain thing (I personally like saying Outset Island is Death Mountain, but that's just me). It is very possible, but we'll never know.

Yeah I think that Twilight Princess's map should be taken as canon more so than OOTs and that the Fores Haven theory is not even speculation.
Ah but look at the area around Hyrule Castle, Look's like Lake Hylia right? And the Castle was destroyed and was replaced by a floating island ontop of a lava pit in OoT, they couldn't of rebuilt it there, but that doesn't answer everything

Well I actually have a linear timeline where I place TP between OOT and WW. And when you go on the roof of Hyrule Castle in TP, you see scaffolding and such. And since TP has a much grander castle, they obviously rebuilt it and are still adding to it. I think it is around the same location BTW, maybe slightly further west.
As for the water. I think it is just part of the flood water.
Now look closely at this picture to the east of Hyrule Castle.
http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/9/95/View_of_Hyrule_From_Atop_Ganon's_Tower.jpg
That looks a lot like the Bridge of Eldin, ruins and all. (or what's left of it, in this case) What do you think?

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
If you look at the landscaping in Ocarina of Time, Kakariko Village is a bit higher up than most of Hyrule. However, seeing as to how Hyrule can change over several hundred years, we can guess that Hyrule Castle moved somewhere else because, in Ocarina of Time, it was not even two minutes away from just walking.

I do think it could be quite plausible that Windfall Island is perhaps Kakariko Village from Ocarina of Time, being a bit higher up and such. Plus, the landscaping style of Windfall bears a great significance to the one in Ocarina of Time. However, that is based upon landscaping. After a thousand years, it is still one of the most major commercial zones in the overworld, so this only furthers my theory.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I thought that was pretty much just common knowledge. Those are good points, but I kind of already knew them. The reason that it's not on the exact spot on the map is because:

During the Great Flood, the Goddesses led the people of Hyrule to mountaintops so that they could survive. Kakariko Village isn't a mountaintop, is it? The villagers went to a nearby mountain (not Death Mountain, that's Dragon Roost Island) so that they could survive. Obviously, this mountain was not right exactly where Kakariko Village was, and that's why Windfall Island isn't on the same place on the map as Kakariko.

Also, Hyrule Castle is not in the same place. It can't be. WW is on the Adult Timeline, right? The original Hyrule Castle was destroyed by Ganondorf. So it was probably rebuilt, which is why it looks different and it's in a different place.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't know whether it's literally Kakariko Village, but I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be spiritually and functionally the same as Kakariko Village. It has a lot of people and shops, and sort of operates as a hub.

It's possible that even if it's not literally Kakariko Village, that Windfall Island is where the goddesses placed the people that used to inhabit Kakariko. When their memories were wiped, they still had the commerce skills and such, as well as unconscious memories/experiences, which is why they ended up building a place that was very similar.

The place has some kind of connection to Kakariko, no doubt, but that doesn't mean it's the actual Kakariko Village.

I'm not a timeline or theory guy, to be honest I just think it's a random object put in to make the area look as old as it is :)
Also if you theorize that to be the bridge of Eldin, wouldn't Hyrule Castle be more east than west? I know enough to say the gamecube version is canon and the Wii version isn't.
[FONT= "Comic Sans MS"]No, the Bridge of Eldin is to the west in the Wii version of the game and to the east in the canon GameCube version.[/FONT]

Diablo

King of Redeads
Well it's certainly plausible, and the Dragon roost island/ Death mountain theory sounds really good because of the the similarities. Maybe the place where the Ritos live was Goron city before they left during the floods.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Relevant:

TP-TWW comparison:
tptww.jpg

(Gerudo Island = Windfall because of the matching of the cave of ordeals and the savage labyrinth)

OoT-TWW comparison:
OoT-TWW.jpg

In regards to literal geography, I doubt the two can be the same (particularly because Kakariko was probably destroyed during the great flood.) Whether people from Kakariko survived and built the Windfall island structures however is another matter entirely - and a rather good theory based on the windmill like structures.

Edit: And just for the heck of it, OoT-TP comparison:*
oottp.jpg

*Based on the theory that Zora's domain from OoT =/= the Zora's domain from TP:
ootvstpmap.jpg

Relevant:

TP-TWW comparison:
tptww.jpg

(Gerudo Island = Windfall because of the matching of the cave of ordeals and the savage labyrinth)

OoT-TWW comparison:
OoT-TWW.jpg

In regards to literal geography, I doubt the two can be the same (particularly because Kakariko was probably destroyed during the great flood.) Whether people from Kakariko survived and built the Windfall island structures however is another matter entirely - and a rather good theory based on the windmill like structures.

Edit: And just for the heck of it, OoT-TP comparison:*
oottp.jpg

*Based on the theory that Zora's domain from OoT =/= the Zora's domain from TP:
ootvstpmap.jpg
[FONT= "Comic Sans MS"]You beat me to it. I was going to post a thread comparing OoT and TP that is very similar to yours (but not exactly the same). Could you tell me where you got those OoT and TP maps?[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom