• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Wind Waker HD Graphics

So what do you guys think about Wind Waker's updated graphics now that we've been given a ton of new game footage? Do you think it maintains the original character of the Game Cube era art style? Do you consider the changes to be a worthwhile update? Have some of you who disliked Wind Waker's visuals in the past been won over now that the game has been given an HD coat of paint?

Personally, I'm quite pleased with how the HD remake has turned out. When I first saw the initial batch of promotional screens that came with the game's announcement a few months ago, I though the visuals had lost some of their original colorfulness, and that the remake was over-saturating the environments with bloom. Now, after finally seeing some how Wind Waker HD looks in-game, I've warmed up to the updated graphics.

I especially appreciate the smoother character models and the game's overall crisp presentation. Wind Waker's awesome water effects, especially the rolling waves at sea, have also never looked better.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I was blown away by it, especially by the sky and the clouds. If you ask me, that's what looks the best in the game. It's extremely beautiful, just like everything else in the game. The original Wind Waker was gorgeous, but Wind Waker HD is even more gorgeous. Watching that trailer has increased my desire to buy the game and a Wii U by tenfold.

I really like how sharp and smooth everything is, however it makes everything look like it's made from plastic.

I wish they would've made the colors softer and seem less shiny.

I understand where you're coming from, but the updated visuals look quite soft to me, which is another thing I like about them. Just compare this shot of Wind Waker HD with this screen of the original game running in HD on the Dolphin Emulator. I think it's safe to say the original game's visuals, as great as they were, could definitely be likened to shiny plastic. The texture quality of the new version is a lot softer in comparison.

Wind Waker HD
Wind Waker (Dolphin Emulator)

Last edited:

Night Owl

~Momentai
I understand where you're coming from, but the updated visuals look quite soft to me, which is another thing I like about them. Just compare this shot of Wind Waker HD with this screen of the original game running in HD on the Dolphin Emulator. I think it's safe to say the original game's visuals, as great as they were, could definitely be likened to shiny plastic. The texture quality of the new version is a lot softer in comparison.

Wind Waker HD
Wind Waker (Dolphin Emulator)
I actually Like the dolphin pic much better.
When they adjusted the textures, it feels like they gave everything a high gloss.
I think it happened when they tried to give it more detail while keeping the bright colors.

I think the added texture is what makes my eyes see it as like plastic, where my eyes see it as more natural with less detail.

But I love how they redid the clouds.

To each their own I guess. I personally preferred the original look too, originally, but the new E3 screens have won me over. Still, both art styles have their own distinct feel, and one isn't objectively better than the other.

Beautiful and stunning, as always. What's cool is that the original's graphics still hold up, even with this release :) They don't feel inferior. So, it isn't a replacement, but rather a whole new package.

The blurr/haze effect really makes the lighting and colors soft and well blended, something that wasn't there before. Yet, it still keeps that pop.

And for some reason... the character models look like they're made of clay to me at times. :) not a bad thing though, unique and pretty

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I actually really like the way that they've redone it. It keeps the charm of the original, which is all I wanted it to do. I have actually noticed that the characters models haven't been updated, they still look as low poly as they did on the Gamecube. Seems a shame seeing that Ocarina of Time 3D's models were updated...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Through still shots, it looks nothing like The Wind Waker. When the game is in motion, it's The Wind Waker+ in other words a huge upgrade. Especially at sea, TWWHD looked exactly like TWW bar the different HUD. There's absolutely nothing wrong with TWWHD in motion.

DarkLink17

Well then
I find nothing negative about the HD graphics, it's so perfect it's like watching the live-action film of WW :P. The frames move flawlessly, and they did a great job at boosting the color quality without changing too much from the original.

Deeds

no text
Overall I think they look very nice, and I'm definitely picking the game up. However, I wish they'd have made a more complex sailing animation on the water, than just a copy and pasted white arc. It should be irregular and randomised to make it look nicer.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Overall I think they look very nice, and I'm definitely picking the game up. However, I wish they'd have made a more complex sailing animation on the water, than just a copy and pasted white arc. It should be irregular and randomised to make it look nicer.

If they did that then it wouldn't be true to the Wind Waker formula and people would be ticked off! Even more than they are with the simple lighting of HD !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom