• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will We Ever Get Tired of ALttP's Hyrule?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Kinda, but in the end there's only one trilogy of Lord of the Rings books. Tolkien didn't keep producing a multitude of books while changing little about the setting. The excuse that the series is a legend and thus can keep reusing the same story and locations over and over doesn't fly for me.
I've never seen that as an excuse. Zelda has taken place in pretty diverse settings: underground, shadow dimensions, the freakin' moon! It's not like Nintendo couldn't strip the characters out of their setting and put them in the world of Fallout thereby making the characters nothing more than faceless pawns who merely identify as Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Is the point you're making that the series has been based on an excuse against itself from the very beginning since we saw the label on that gold cartridge before we even turned the game on? I'm not saying that using the same map again doesn't fit the setting or story, it does make sense, I'm just wondering if it makes sense from a marketing standpoint to give us the same seeing yet again. I feel like Nintendo will change it up to some degree but it still have me pause when I saw that it was the same world in design.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I've never seen that as an excuse. Zelda has taken place in pretty diverse settings: underground, shadow dimensions, the freakin' moon! It's not like Nintendo couldn't strip the characters out of their setting and put them in the world of Fallout thereby making the characters nothing more than faceless pawns who merely identify as Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Is the point you're making that the series has been based on an excuse against itself from the very beginning since we saw the label on that gold cartridge before we even turned the game on? I'm not saying that using the same map again doesn't fit the setting or story, it does make sense, I'm just wondering if it makes sense from a marketing standpoint to give us the same seeing yet again. I feel like Nintendo will change it up to some degree but it still have me pause when I saw that it was the same world in design.
Expanding the world doesn't strip the characters of their identity (as if there's any to take from Link at this point)? If anything continuing to reuse the same locations and characters over and over hampers them, since there's no sense that any of these characters exist in a larger world.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo (I have my card)
ZD Champion
Kinda, but in the end there's only one trilogy of Lord of the Rings books. Tolkien didn't keep producing a multitude of books while changing little about the setting. The excuse that the series is a legend and thus can keep reusing the same story and locations over and over doesn't fly for me.
Actually Tolkien envisioned to expand it, The Silmarillion was one attempt, and he had a Fourth Age story that would have Morgoth unchained and come to Middle Earth in a Apocalyptic story. That however never got written.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Actually Tolkien envisioned to expand it, The Silmarillion was one attempt, and he had a Fourth Age story that would have Morgoth unchained and come to Middle Earth in a Apocalyptic story. That however never got written.
I do get that, but unfortunately he passed before being able to complete anything beyond the Simarillion. If he'd written a bunch of books that just reused the same setting and characters trapped into a chronological purgatory then I don't know if the trilogy would be remembered so fondly.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
I do get that, but unfortunately he passed before being able to complete anything beyond the Simarillion. If he'd written a bunch of books that just reused the same setting and characters trapped into a chronological purgatory then I don't know if the trilogy would be remembered so fondly.
Zelda feels more like the aim is to tell the same story with the next leap in graphics, gameplay, and new generation. Yes there are sequels that expand on previous enteries, but many enteries feel like a reboot, A Link To A Past felt like Zelda 1 with more story, larger world, and better graphics for instance.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think this style has become to Nintendo like a pair of comfy shoes. They are old but still fit and keep your feet warm. Everybody tells you it's time to get a new pair but you refuse. And one day the only thing these old comfy shoes keep warm are your toes because everything else is gone.

They can fo so much more. They can add new worlds or worlds we only saw once and never again. In TP we only saw a tiny bit of the twilight realm. In OoA we saw Surbrosia....but just a bit. They should expand their borders. Maybe this will happen someday but then I'll be long gone in the afterlife

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
I think this style has become to Nintendo like a pair of comfy shoes. They are old but still fit and keep your feet warm. Everybody tells you it's time to get a new pair but you refuse. And one day the only thing these old comfy shoes keep warm are your toes because everything else is gone.

They can fo so much more. They can add new worlds or worlds we only saw once and never again. In TP we only saw a tiny bit of the twilight realm. In OoA we saw Surbrosia....but just a bit. They should expand their borders. Maybe this will happen someday but then I'll be long gone in the afterlife
Awwww at least we had MM with a fully developed Termina. I hope someone who takes the helm of Zelda who had Farore’s Courage to show us new worlds and soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom