• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will We Ever Get Tired of ALttP's Hyrule?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yet another game where we will travel the world of A Link to the past again. Yes, a link to the past was one of the greatest Zelda games of all time but we have had so many releases of the game, then A Link Between Worlds, and now Echoes of Wisdom. ALBW felt just different enough from ALttP's map and was marketed as being ALttP for a new generation but now we have a third game on the same map? Maybe with Death Mountain being slightly off, Nintendo is going to shake it up a bit but it feels as though they're milking the nostalgia a bit much. They've obviously added things like Castle Town as well, I'm really hoping they choose to expand the map heavily. It might be great, maybe it'll expand all of the borders or something (give us Calatia, Nintendo!) but I can't help but feel this game is going to suffer from diminishing returns (ha, returns) like TotK did.

Last edited:

Daku Rinku

Hopeful Romantic
ZD Champion
We need to see other realms like Termina and The Twilight Realm. Expand the world of LoZ. I love Hyrule, Gerudo Valley, and Zora Domain like the next person, but there is more to see, surly.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I will say, I had no idea it was set in LTTP's Hyrule until I saw it being pointed out, the areas from the trailer didn't stick out to me as being familiar, so I'm not too too worried about it feeling redundant again, but yeah I definitely would've rather another place entirely

Is it confirmed that EoW is the same Hyrule as LttP/LA or is it just speculated because of the artstyle?
the shot in the trailer of Zelda looking over Hyrule, you can see the layout is basically the same as that of LTTP

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Heck, Kohilint is already heavily based on LttP Hyrule, so that basically means 4 different games that use this general layout.

I don’t necessarily have an issue with it, but yeah it would be nice to have a more original Hyrule.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
It's weird, I suppose I'm spoiled by the variety of Hyrules we've gotten. If every Zelda game had taken place in a recognizably contiguous Hyrule, I'd probably be used to it and not mind in the slightest. I may even be annoyed if they tried to change Hyrule at that point.

Daku Rinku

Hopeful Romantic
ZD Champion
I agree the map is nice that you can count in where The Goron, Gerudo, Hylians, Zora, and etc are. Though its nice when thwy expand it a bit. I think locations can always evolve, look at Death Mountain, how it qent from a place in the clouds to volcanic.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Yes.

The series has been hanging out in Hyrule for almost 40 years now without setting foot beyond that border. Everything else is a parallel world or a dream, and I'd really rather the series move onto something else.
So it's the name "Hyrule" and the name and type of the landmarks in it that you're bored of?
Cause in most of the games the layout of Hyrule differs

The exceptions are BotW-TotK and ALttP-ALBW

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So it's the name "Hyrule" and the name and type of the landmarks in it that you're bored of?
Cause in most of the games the layout of Hyrule differs

The exceptions are BotW-TotK and ALttP-ALBW
It's still Hyrule. Ultimately, they just reuse places like Death Mountain, Lost Woods, and Hyrule Castle. It isn't the look I'm sick of as much as it is Hyrule itself. No matter how the layout changes, the same places stick around. I'd rather visit somewhere new than revisit Death Mountain for the fifteenth time, regardless of the coat of paint it wears.

Sticking exclusively to Hyrule makes Zelda feel small. There's never a sense that there's a world outside of Hyrule, because we're never allowed to see it. We don't see people from far off lands or glimpse distant foreign landmarks from Hyrule's border.

EDIT: No, New Hyrule does not count as a different place. It's functionally identical to "old" Hyrule.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It's still Hyrule. Ultimately, they just reuse places like Death Mountain, Lost Woods, and Hyrule Castle. It isn't the look I'm sick of as much as it is Hyrule itself. No matter how the layout changes, the same places stick around. I'd rather visit somewhere new than revisit Death Mountain for the fifteenth time, regardless of the coat of paint it wears.

Sticking exclusively to Hyrule makes Zelda feel small. There's never a sense that there's a world outside of Hyrule, because we're never allowed to see it. We don't see people from far off lands or glimpse distant foreign landmarks from Hyrule's border.

EDIT: No, New Hyrule does not count as a different place. It's functionally identical to "old" Hyrule.
So how do you feel about Minish Cap? It's still called Hyrule, but the landmarks are all different (Mount Crenel, Minish Woods etc.)

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
So how do you feel about Minish Cap? It's still called Hyrule, but the landmarks are all different (Mount Crenel, Minish Woods etc.)
A bit better, since it's using different landmarks and spends a lot of time pushing Link into the Minish areas, but it feels like a half step. Take the final step and just make a game that takes place outside Hyrule (and not in a "parallel world). :eyes:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Hyrule being wildly different between games like Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Four Swords Adventures just fits the series so well. The Legend of Zelda is a legend. Somebody tells me that Spectacle Rock was over here and somebody else tells me it was over there but they're telling me the same tale. You hear that there was twilight taking over the world but maybe it was more like portals and Link used a mirror- no, an instrument, to travel into that world.

Leaving Hyrule behind is a different question altogether, I'm talking about my own experience playing the video game. I like Hyrule and aside from Greater Hyrule, New Hyrule, The Great Sea, Holodrum, Subrosia, The Sky, Labrynna, and Termina, it is integral to the series as it is named after the titular character (Hylia who becomes Zelda). I just feel that a third iteration of the same map (down to pathways, caves, and bombable walls, not just names and vague connections) might get stale.

Daku Rinku

Hopeful Romantic
ZD Champion

EDIT: No, New Hyrule does no
Hyrule being wildly different between games like Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Four Swords Adventures just fits the series so well. The Legend of Zelda is a legend. Somebody tells me that Spectacle Rock was over here and somebody else tells me it was over there but they're telling me the same tale. You hear that there was twilight taking over the world but maybe it was more like portals and Link used a mirror- no, an instrument, to travel into that world.

Leaving Hyrule behind is a different question altogether, I'm talking about my own experience playing the video game. I like Hyrule and aside from Greater Hyrule, New Hyrule, The Great Sea, Holodrum, Subrosia, The Sky, Labrynna, and Termina, it is integral to the series as it is named after the titular character (Hylia who becomes Zelda). I just feel that a third iteration of the same map (down to pathways, caves, and bombable walls, not just names and vague connections) might get stale.
Its kinda like Middle Earth is predominately where everything in Tolkien’s Legenderium takes places. Yes there is Numenor and Valinor, but the main adventures happen in Middle Earth. It is the same for Hyrule.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Its kinda like Middle Earth is predominately where everything in Tolkien’s Legenderium takes places. Yes there is Numenor and Valinor, but the main adventures happen in Middle Earth. It is the same for Hyrule.
Kinda, but in the end there's only one trilogy of Lord of the Rings books. Tolkien didn't keep producing a multitude of books while changing little about the setting. The excuse that the series is a legend and thus can keep reusing the same story and locations over and over doesn't fly for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom